Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

That includes all the usual problems with elves. For example the third game makes it fairly obvious the Protheans tried to prepare them to destroy the reapers this time and they did nothing with it. Or at least that's my understanding of it. It's why they always have the best technology, when someone else makes something better they just find the appropriate bit of tech to make theirs better again.

I may be wrong though as I haven't personally played ME3, I just like the world and wish that the Reapers didn't become what they did. Because Giant Space Bio Robots is boring as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

It does have some great payoff with Liara's dad in me2 and 3.

And yes I did say dad you humanocentric bags of dicks.
Anthropocentric. :colbert: And that exchange between Atheyta and Liara is one of my favorites in the whole game.

koolkevz666 posted:

So not to distract the conversation away from the fan service talk but for anyone who is playing on the PS version does going to Noveria, in particular the later half in the plot area cause this annoying black fuzz graphic effect that you get on the PC version that either hasn't been fixed or has been and I just don't know about it?

Edit: To help this is the bug/glitch.
:stonk: Thank god, no, this doesn't happen. I've played a couple of times on PC and never saw that there either.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ah, the Consort Quest. When I was Adrian Shepard, my original male infiltrator PC, I was very polite with her and so never got the sex scene.

Which led to a hell of a surprise when I was playing Mary Shepard, a gruff no-nonsense femshep who generally thought mystic mumbo-jumbo was pretty worthless. Imagine my surprise when 'Really? Words? Is that it?' didn't lead to 'I was expecting credits' but rather to that. I couldn't stop laughing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Ah, the Consort Quest. When I was Adrian Shepard, my original male infiltrator PC, I was very polite with her and so never got the sex scene.

Which led to a hell of a surprise when I was playing Mary Shepard, a gruff no-nonsense femshep who generally thought mystic mumbo-jumbo was pretty worthless. Imagine my surprise when 'Really? Words? Is that it?' didn't lead to 'I was expecting credits' but rather to that. I couldn't stop laughing.
Yeah. Cyrano Shepard took a very similar approach (humanocentrist overly skeptic rear end in a top hat) and this scene... Uh, I think it contributed a lot to me actually never having finished the game because the lack of control over what my character actually does just started grating at me. I don't mind linearity, but this was the first situation where the shortened conversation options (and why the gently caress did they go with those) effectively hurt the game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Lord_Magmar posted:

That includes all the usual problems with elves. For example the third game makes it fairly obvious the Protheans tried to prepare them to destroy the reapers this time and they did nothing with it. Or at least that's my understanding of it. It's why they always have the best technology, when someone else makes something better they just find the appropriate bit of tech to make theirs better again.

The reason the Asari have the best technology is all because the Protheans hand picked them to lead the next cycle and gave them a fully functional beacon stuffed with technology that would help them prepare the Galaxy for the Reapers return, but instead they sat on the bulk of this information and used it only to better themselves, as mentioned earlier, Javik is very, very displeased when he finds this out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Judge Tesla posted:

The reason the Asari have the best technology is all because the Protheans hand picked them to lead the next cycle and gave them a fully functional beacon stuffed with technology that would help them prepare the Galaxy for the Reapers return, but instead they sat on the bulk of this information and used it only to better themselves, as mentioned earlier, Javik is very, very displeased when he finds this out.

Never trust elves to lead your desperate alliance against ancient evils. Never, ever. You'd think the long lifespan would make them far sighted, but it actually just makes them incredibly prone to procrastination.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

koolkevz666 posted:

So not to distract the conversation away from the fan service talk but for anyone who is playing on the PS version does going to Noveria, in particular the later half in the plot area cause this annoying black fuzz graphic effect that you get on the PC version that either hasn't been fixed or has been and I just don't know about it?

Edit: To help this is the bug/glitch.

Hi, I get this bug when I play too. It's got to do with using an AMD chipset. The fix is easy but it removes all the dynamic lighting until you turn it back on again.

Enable and open your console and type in 'viewmode unlit' no quotes. After the tram, type in 'viewmode lit' to turn it back on again. It's happens on another planet but I can't remember which.

edit: vv Just what I've read. :shrug:

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 17, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I played this all the time with an AMD card back in the day and never saw that bug. Weird.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

The mass effect political universe is not one where nice people thrive. I was kind of alarmed when I heard the Voluses (Voli?) had been part of the galactic community for thousands of years and have been an active participant in a lot of important galactic work, like drafting universal monetary agreements, maintaining the immense network of information needed for ease of exchange across a galaxy and actually running the trade routes/posts, remembering that mass relay locations can form severe shipping bottlenecks. Voli are non-violent by nature and prefer to bargain or sanction their way out of disagreements. They have remained a client of Turians for all that time and are just an associate species. Humans show up, bloody a few noses then start stepping on some toes and they're on pace to join the council within a century.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Turians got in entirely because they had a giant fleet and had just won a war. I imagine their application just consisted of them going 'So, by the way, we're big into killing people.' and looking meaningfully at their shitload of guns, then the council signing them on.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Night10194 posted:

The Turians got in entirely because they had a giant fleet and had just won a war. I imagine their application just consisted of them going 'So, by the way, we're big into killing people.' and looking meaningfully at their shitload of guns, then the council signing them on.

If that was the case, one has to wonder why the krogan (pre-genophage) didn't get put on the fast track to becoming a Council race.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Krogan didn't really have a united military like the Turians did, they just sold themselves out as mercenaries. Even pre-genophage it didn't seem that different in that regard.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Regalingualius posted:

If that was the case, one has to wonder why the krogan (pre-genophage) didn't get put on the fast track to becoming a Council race.

They didn't ask, they just started taking poo poo. The Turians are militarists with a 'meritocracy' who can put a nice face on being the council's muscle, but the Krogan didn't bother with fig leaves.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Also Krogan are just as likely to start fighting amongst themselves as anything where the Turians are disciplined with their aggression. Give them a giant enemy to fight and they're good, but once that's taken care of they go right back to shanking each other over territory (this is what happened with the Rachni).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Regalingualius posted:

Pre-genophage the Krogan were fighting over the burned out irradiated husk of Tuchunka. It was the Salarians who gave them FTL tech specifically so they would fight the Rachni. At least I think that's what the whole Salarians uplifted the Krogans thing meant.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

howe_sam posted:

Pre-genophage the Krogan were fighting over the burned out irradiated husk of Tuchunka. It was the Salarians who gave them FTL tech specifically so they would fight the Rachni. At least I think that's what the whole Salarians uplifted the Krogans thing meant.
Correct. Krogan had advanced enough to "split the atom" as it says in the Codex, but were still fighting with relatively primitive weapons. Think early 20th century level tech. Then the Rachni happened and the Salarians decided to drop in and say hello.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Uplift is a term that honestly should be more common in sci-fi, but generally isn't on the grounds that if you're using it your entire backstory just got a hell of a lot more complicated.

You know the Prime Directive in Star Trek? In one sentence, it's "No uplifts. Ever."

Uplifting refers to the idea of someone showing up and giving another species all sorts of sweet hypertech so they can join the galactic community. Occasionally this also involves giving them sentience. Because why not.

The problem this traditionally runs into is that the sudden surge in technological development does not necessarily include a commensurate cultural development, and as a result the fresh uplifts usually end up destroying themselves and/or their benefactors due to their society not being ready to handle this new power responsibly. If you smell any "this is a story about nuclear war" around the edges of this, congratulations, you've been paying attention, but I tend to agree with its core point on balance; it is hard to imagine that if Victorian England had access to nuclear weapons, large portions of France and Germany would not be radioactive craters.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

What's weird about the asari is all the flufftext in the codex

This applies to essentially every single entry in the codex about literally everything from space-antiaircraft guns (oh excuse me, GARDAIN lasers - remember that salarians use near-UV wavelengths unlike anyone else, very important) to species to whatever, though. They put so much effort into this codex and then did fuckall with it.

Personally I think that makes the ME1 LP experience easier: don't transcribe that codex because nobody cared about it, least of all Bioware!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Ze Pollack posted:

You know the Prime Directive in Star Trek? In one sentence, it's "No uplifts. Ever."

If I recall correctly, there's at least one race that is being given a "downlift", i.e. prevented from leaving their planet because they are THAT bad.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If you're talking about the Yahg, that's more that they've eaten everyone that's tried to uplift them.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Kurieg posted:

If you're talking about the Yahg, that's more that they've eaten everyone that's tried to uplift them.

Yeah, but I find it hilarious that they have an active blockade around their planet ready to shoot any of them that reach space.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

Correct. Krogan had advanced enough to "split the atom" as it says in the Codex, but were still fighting with relatively primitive weapons. Think early 20th century level tech. Then the Rachni happened and the Salarians decided to drop in and say hello.

It's always amused me that the krogan spent two millennia in Fallout: Tuchanka before aliens showed up and bailed them out. Hell, even during their irradiated-wasteland period the krogan were probably nuking each other whenever they found some old pre-apocalypse warheads, in classic Fallout fashion.

Then on top of that you have the fact that the thresher maws survived two thousand years on a world without hope before their spores got onto spaceships that visited Tuchanka and contaminated other planets, resulting in thresher maw infestations all over the place, including Akuze, where they ate Butts Shepard's entire unit. Tuchanka is the best :allears:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
And don't forget everyone's favorite fishdog, the Varren. Sort of like horses in the New World, except they eat things.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

mauman posted:

Yeah, but I find it hilarious that they have an active blockade around their planet ready to shoot any of them that reach space.

The Yahg are basically a fusion of Krogan brutality and Salarian intellect, look at the current (As of ME 1 and 2) Shadow Broker, he's one such a creature, and is probably one of the deadliest non Reaper enemies you face in the series

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Asari would have been a lot more creative if they had been a bunch of buff, handsome dudes that can also get pregnant and have babies. After all, there's no reason why a monogendered species has to look like females.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

The Asari would have been a lot more creative if they had been a bunch of buff, handsome dudes that can also get pregnant and have babies. After all, there's no reason why a monogendered species has to look like females.
I can think of a pretty strong one, they want the game to sell.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Hey SubponticatePoster, can you record voiced codex entries and post screenshots of non-voiced ones? They are pretty neat.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

mauman posted:

If I recall correctly, there's at least one race that is being given a "downlift", i.e. prevented from leaving their planet because they are THAT bad.

Pretty sure in the mission in ME3 to rescue Eve, there's a log that talks about the Salarians planning to covertly uplift the Yahg actually.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

SubponticatePoster posted:

The Nuclear War on Tuchanka was almost 2000 years before the Rachni, basically they were on track with scientific development until the war, then devolved into clans and post-apocalyptic society. But then the Rachni War was almost 2000 years before the Reapers. But then, you get into long-lived species problem again. Where the Asari become procrastinators, the Krogan hold grudges, and nothing gets done.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Transmogrifier posted:

Pretty sure in the mission in ME3 to rescue Eve, there's a log that talks about the Salarians planning to covertly uplift the Yahg actually.

They were studying the idea, and they had a Yahg there, but they were considering the unintended consequences of uplifting the Krogan. I'm pretty sure they were against the idea, they were just watching them.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Transmogrifier posted:

The Reapers also don't attack the Yahg homeworld since they aren't classed as an advanced species, technology wise, so a few people half jokingly say they'll be the ones leading the next cycle should the Reapers win.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Night10194 posted:

Never trust elves to lead your desperate alliance against ancient evils. Never, ever. You'd think the long lifespan would make them far sighted, but it actually just makes them incredibly prone to procrastination.

The societies that have "gently caress elves" as state policy are always the ones that last the longest. :laugh:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Tuchanka was bad enough, a loving Thresher maw ate a reaper.

Could you imagine what the Yahg homeworld had in store?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

My Q-Face posted:

They were studying the idea, and they had a Yahg there, but they were considering the unintended consequences of uplifting the Krogan. I'm pretty sure they were against the idea, they were just watching them.

If the reaper conflict escalated into absolute war, salarians would most definitely uplift the Yahg to meet the threat. The drawback of being a short-lived, metabolically fast species is that tomorrow's consequences seem so much more distant to you :v:

e: PS there seems to an issue with the video listing at the bottom of the OP

hard counter fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 19, 2015

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

hard counter posted:

If the reaper conflict escalated into absolute war, salarians would most definitely uplift the Yahg to meet the threat. The drawback of being a short-lived, metabolically fast species is that tomorrow's consequences seem so much more distant to you :v:

40 year lifespans does seem like it would make it hard to be the greatest scientists evar... but speaking of shortsightedness, I always had problems with the quarians and their arc from 2 to 3. You can set it up so that everyone in their council thinks that attacking the geth with be suicide, but then when they hear about reapers attacking Earth, they say "gently caress it, Shepard isn't going to be around to tell us that this is a terrible idea now, let's fight an entrenched geth position with our civilians." And then they go on a suicide mission that has the consequence of their entire race being wiped from existence if the geth just so happen to ally with Reapers. Which is of course what happens. It should not have been a surprise to anyone, this is the third time in 5 years that Reapers and geth teamed up to wreck organic poo poo. I mean, quarians are my favorite race in the game, but it's like loving pandas, they're too weak and too stupid to survive on their own.

Even to a quarian fan, the geth come out as waaaaaay more likeable in 3, even though they are unfeeling machines that still have bullshit attacks that make you wish for geth genocide. I'm an Adept and I take a caster and a Tank with me on missions, but Tali even loses her usefulness in your squad to EDI or Liara in 3, so you get even less incentive to side with quarians in that fight. I feel like Bioware was either trying to drive off sweat drinkers :barf: or had no idea how to handle that conflict/the choices made in 2. Maybe all of the above, but if they were discouraging "Talimancers" , why do they have a piece of dialogue in 2 about their suits having built in vibrators? It's loving weird, man...

Also, the quarians should have taken their helmets off in 2, and the fact that they didn't is bullshit that is inconsistent with the lore :spergin:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mass Effect. :sparkles: I love this series.

I assume you are going to use the rocketlauncher liberally? Thats a double scram rail high explosive rounds sniper rifle.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

The Door Frame posted:

Also, the quarians should have taken their helmets off in 2, and the fact that they didn't is bullshit that is inconsistent with the lore :spergin:

You sure? Youtube commenter LoneWolfIcy disagrees vehemently, and warns us all of the consequences of quarians revealing their faces.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I loved the scene in ME3 when Shepard is shown old recordings of geth and quarians doing poo poo, and the quarians were wearing their quarian suits. Shepard asked why the quarians were shown wearing those since the recordings were taken before the suits existed, and Legion's response was basically "because the devs didn't feel like it"

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 19, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zedd posted:

Mass Effect. :sparkles: I love this series.

I assume you are going to use the rocketlauncher liberally? Thats a double scram rail high explosive rounds sniper rifle.
I can. We're playing on casual so everything dies pretty much immediately anyway :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So here's a "minor mystery", what the hell did Sha'ira give us there? The dialogue makes it sound like we got something, but then after the cutscene it isn't listed with the quest rewards and there is nothing new in the inventory. And I'm pretty drat sure it is never mentioned again.

• Locked thread