Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V6j-rwKcsc

And so it begins, god help our poor souls.

Good lord, why are you doing this to yourselves? Now I'm glad I picked a good game for my own casual Let's Play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

corn in the bible posted:

I did this for the art thread but I think you might enjoy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foc1AgfKDh0
Thank you, and praise the Lord.

The thing you're riding in the side-scrolling section is apparently a tank of DMT.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 19, 2015

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Boy I'm glad I wasn't involved in this production at all.

:smithicide:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Libluini posted:

Good lord, why are you doing this to yourselves? Now I'm glad I picked a good game for my own casual Let's Play.

I have bad impulse control and a love of watching trainwrecks but I have no idea what the other guys were thinking

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I paid $4 for this, I was going to get my entertainment, one way or another. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

I paid $4 for this, I was going to get my entertainment, one way or another. :colbert:

Patrick Bateman, ladies and gentlemen :yum:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Wait, I almost forgot: Time for part 3 of

Let's Mangle the English Language in Mega Man X 2.

MMX2 Part 01

MMX2 Part 02

:siren:NEW:siren:

MMX2 Part 03

Making this third video was a lot more work then I anticipated, since it's hard to anticipate failing at this high level of stupidity. Welp, at least you get to laugh at me. :shepface:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V6j-rwKcsc

And so it begins, god help our poor souls.
Why does he look so loving smug in the life count icon...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chrisoya posted:

Thank you, and praise the Lord.

The thing you're riding in the side-scrolling section is apparently a tank of DMT.

That's good to know. Can you explain the giraffe too because that seems a little harder to understand

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Bubsy: WHAT COULD PAW-SSIBLY GO WRONG?!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Let's Play: Bubsy is a Cats Game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You're good at Dark Souls, you can* do this CJacobs!

*can does not necessarally mean should, but keep it up!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ulilillia thinks Bubsy is good and that's good enough for me.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

a few days ago, forums celebrity corn in the bible gave me a game that cost him 50 cents as an early holidays gift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6mZLrKGiQU

happy yuletides, people

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

corn in the bible posted:

That's good to know. Can you explain the giraffe too because that seems a little harder to understand
Jeff Minter is the devil.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Wanamingo posted:

More like a bridge too short !!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I am extremely disappointed that we didn't get to hear any of the game's many quips

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Wanamingo posted:

I am extremely disappointed that we didn't get to hear any of the game's many quips

I think I saw Elvis back there!

(I'm trying to help)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I can say with some confidence that Bubsy II is better.

Better than Bubsy, mind you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Once upon a time, there was a little shepherd boy who had the reputation of being incredibly smart, folks said that he had an answer for just about everything. One day, the king heard about this and called for the boy. He wanted to find out for himself because he could scarcely believe that a mere shepherd boy could be as smart as all that.

When the boy appeared before him, he told him that if he could answer but one question, he should henceforth live in comfort in the palace and be as his own son.

"What is your question, Sire?" the boy asked.

The king replied: "How many seconds are there in eternity?"

And the boy replied: "In the hinterlands of Pommerania, there is a mountain made of the hardest diamond. It's one mile deep into the earth, five miles up toward the sky, ten miles long and seven miles wide. To this mountain comes a little bird, once every hundred thousand years, and softly brushes its edge with the tip of its wings as it flies past. And when this bird has worn away the whole mountain, the first second of Bubsy: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind will have passed."

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Very poetic, Crow.

I actually played that game on console when I was younger (I'm not sure how, mind you; I never owned a SNES). I remember not liking it, but I didn't remember it being so drat bad.

I suppose all I can say at this point is "better CJacobs than me."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

KieranWalker posted:

Very poetic, Crow.

I actually played that game on console when I was younger (I'm not sure how, mind you; I never owned a SNES). I remember not liking it, but I didn't remember it being so drat bad.

I think the Bubsy games were on the PC as well. I distinctly remember seeing a review in a Czech gaming magazine in about 1997-8, the gist of it was "stay the gently caress away".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm reminded of when Sega made their collection of Genesis Sonic games for the DS, where they literally just hired the guy who had made the not-bad Genesis emulator for the system for the soft-mod crowd, they did some kajiggering so the Sonic and Knuckles versions of 2 and 3 worked alright, and he added a menu, and a save system. Good enough for them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KieranWalker posted:

Very poetic, Crow.

I played Bubsy on SNES in a toy-shop once. Seeing all the crazy deaths was fun at first, but when I later borrowed the game to play it at home it turned old fast.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I played Bubsy on SNES in a toy-shop once. Seeing all the crazy deaths was fun at first, but when I later borrowed the game to play it at home it turned old fast.

Yeah, that much was at least amusing for about an hour. Beyond that, I remember getting about as far as CJacobs did in that video and then calling it quits.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I made it as far as the train levels before giving up. I don't think I really understood at that age that some games just were not worth playing.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Hi, thread. I got too busy to post more NES videos, and I'm currently stuck without access to my recording equipment, but I wanted to write more general NES chat. So we're going to talk more about scrolling.

The NES has support for horizontal screen splits (i.e. into a top and bottom half) via the same mechanism that does scrolling. This is used to display things like status bars and dialog windows, or doing things like big-rear end bosses made of tiles (like in Mega Man's Wily stages) while still keeping a "floor" part unmoving on the bottom of the screen. Basically, whenever the PPU has finished emitting a single scanline of video, it re-reads the scroll offset before continuing to the next line. This means that if you re-write a new scroll offset in the middle of PPU processing, you can display a different part of the nametable below the point where you did that, thus splitting the screen.

One problem: your timing has to be clutch. There is no way to tell the PPU to split on a particular scanline; you have to wait for the right moment to write the new scroll offset, and the window for doing so is very small. Fortunately, the PPU is clocked at exactly 3 times faster than the CPU, so the ratio of CPU instructions to PPU cycles is entirely predictable. Furthermore, the PPU will signal the CPU when it's done rendering a single frame and has entered what's known as "vblank".

Now, this sounds like you could just wait for vblank, then spin in place for a known number of cycles and splitting the screen. Technically, you can do that... but practically, you desperately need those CPU cycles to do actual game logic. Furthermore, vblank time is precious: there are certain kinds of communication with the PPU that you can only do during vblank, so you want to use the opportunity for that stuff. If you don't know exactly how many cycles you spent on that stuf, you can't accurately predict how long to wait to get the split in the right place.too

Nintendo's engineers did work out a solution: the Sprite Zero Hit. The very first time the PPU renders the sprite in slot #0 (out of 64 total), it will set a particular flag that you can read. This comes with a few caveats - the sprite has to be opaque, for instance - but it does provide a consistent way to detect when the PPU is on the right scanline to do the split on. Every NROM, UxROM and MMC1 game that does split screen has to do it this way. In Super Mario Bros, for instance, there is a sprite hidden behind the coin indicator in the hud. In Getsu Fuuma Den, it's behind your life bar.

The flow comes down to something like this:

1. Wait for vblank
2. Do vblank-critical processing
3. Wait for sprite zero hit
4. Write new nametable offset to split the screen
5. Do as much game logic for this frame as you can
6. Goto 1

Now, time between 2 and 3 are wasted CPU cycles. You want to minimize that. As a result, most NROM, UxROM and MMC1 games have the screen split near the top of the screen, where they don't have to wait as long; look at Castlevania or Getsu Fuuma Den, for instance. The status bar being on top is not just an aesthetic choice, but a technical one - cool, huh? There are a few exceptions, like Gradius. That game basically starts game logic immediately after vblank and then tries to estimate how many more object updates it can do before it needs to wait for the sprite zero hit.

One of MMC3's improvements was adding a programmable interrupt generator that could be used to generate an interrupt on the right scanline, rather than having to busy wait. This is how games like Super Mario Bros. 3 effortlessly did bottom of the screen splits. It was also easier and more convenient than the sprite zero hit method.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 21, 2015

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I've been debating with myself if I should post this here or not but:

So yeah, OK.

This is The Lottery, the series where I subject various obscure and unrelated video games to my friend tungsten for Let's Play type perusal. It's a bizarre socio-psychological experiment sure to result in misery and/or schadenfreude.

In other words, it's a Let's Play blind bag. You're meant to have the same experience as him, where you're being taken along for the ride with whatever crap I bring to the table. It's not an original idea; the Zaibatsu did it first.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Let' Play Blue Estate

https://youtu.be/pzcZGaQHuv0

There's no love lost in this tunnel.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Where did you even hear about this game?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Wanamingo posted:

Where did you even hear about this game?

Wikipedia. I was going through a list of PS3 exclusives, and it caught my eye.

powhawkins
Dec 13, 2015
Hey what does the casual thread think of challenge(gimmick) let's plays? I've started one in Far Cry 3 I call the Guerilla Challenge. Basically the idea is that you have to play the game without using any of the shops to buy weapons or ammo, meaning that you can only use the stuff that you pick up in the world.

Here's the first two parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpDu_S1vvHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T3uCvohAvg

And a couple others will be released on my YouTube channel. I'll make another update when they're up.

The rules of the guerilla challenge are:

1. You may not use any of the stores in the game. You may only use weapons, ammo, and other consumables that you collect from dead enemies or in the world, however, crafting is still allowed.

2. You may not play any of the story missions. Side missions are allowed as they can be used to get certain weapons such as the m700 and the bow.

3. The Detection Meter, Hit Indicator, and Grenade Indicator must be turned off in the Gameplay menu.

4. The guerilla challenge can be played at any difficulty you like, as the point of the challenge is to augment the games difficulty through how we choose to play it, instead of traditional means, however, comparing a playthrough done on easy to one done on hard isn't fair, and should be scored seperately.

If anyone else wants to record their own I'd love to see it! I'd like to make it a bit of a competition.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Let' Play Blue Estate

https://youtu.be/pzcZGaQHuv0

There's no love lost in this tunnel.
It's official, I need to buy this game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

It's official, I need to buy this game.

Hua!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hua. Not gonna lie, I was wondering when he's gonna use it as a weapon from the moment I've seen the animation. Does anything happen if you shoot the divine HUA in flight?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Hua. Not gonna lie, I was wondering when he's gonna use it as a weapon from the moment I've seen the animation. Does anything happen if you shoot the divine HUA in flight?

I tried, every time. Violence against dogs is not supported in Blue Estate.

I was hoping for something crazy, like the Hua exploding into a cloud of pheromones and... "occupy" nearby enemies.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

powhawkins posted:

Hey what does the casual thread think of challenge(gimmick) let's plays? I've started one in Far Cry 3 I call the Guerilla Challenge. Basically the idea is that you have to play the game without using any of the shops to buy weapons or ammo, meaning that you can only use the stuff that you pick up in the world.

Here's the first two parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpDu_S1vvHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T3uCvohAvg

And a couple others will be released on my YouTube channel. I'll make another update when they're up.

The rules of the guerilla challenge are:

1. You may not use any of the stores in the game. You may only use weapons, ammo, and other consumables that you collect from dead enemies or in the world, however, crafting is still allowed.

2. You may not play any of the story missions. Side missions are allowed as they can be used to get certain weapons such as the m700 and the bow.

3. The Detection Meter, Hit Indicator, and Grenade Indicator must be turned off in the Gameplay menu.

4. The guerilla challenge can be played at any difficulty you like, as the point of the challenge is to augment the games difficulty through how we choose to play it, instead of traditional means, however, comparing a playthrough done on easy to one done on hard isn't fair, and should be scored seperately.

If anyone else wants to record their own I'd love to see it! I'd like to make it a bit of a competition.

How exactly do you "score" a playthrough?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Blue Estate is a fiver again thanks to the sale, and I bought it! It's just as much fun as it looks in the videos. Thanks Jobbo_Fett for showing me that it exists. :)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Blue Estate is a fiver again thanks to the sale, and I bought it! It's just as much fun as it looks in the videos. Thanks Jobbo_Fett for showing me that it exists. :)
Yup, that's two of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

Yup, that's two of us.

That's three. Ridiculous violence is the best violence.