Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

I...I have a confession to make. Stellaris will be my first actual 4X game. I've *wheeze* been saving myself *loud nasal exhaled* for 30 years.

I think I finally found my waifu. (And she's a fungoid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Please change how colonial races work. A colony is never worth starting a crisis over. I've never seen the AI lose to a player, it just always seems to have more points.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Another Person posted:

Please change how colonial races work. A colony is never worth starting a crisis over. I've never seen the AI lose to a player, it just always seems to have more points.

The AI also instantly upgrades its colony the moment it can, while the Player has lag due to no notifications of it being upgrade-able. You have to check manually and such, and if you miss even a day, you're behind the AI.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Another Person posted:

The AI doesn't get magical points. I've made it run out of points a few times before.

Lynneth posted:

The AI also instantly upgrades its colony the moment it can, while the Player has lag due to no notifications of it being upgrade-able. You have to check manually and such, and if you miss even a day, you're behind the AI.

Or just check beforehand when your colony will be ready to invest again. Plus, you need to be 2 levels (IIRC) ahead to get the colony and a level takes several months, so it's not like 1 day makes a difference. Just because the notifier says "OH GOD YOU'RE LOSING AAAAAAAAAA" doesn't mean it's actually that urgent.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

The AI doesn't get magical points. I've made it run out of points a few times before.

Or just check beforehand when your colony will be ready to invest again. Plus, you need to be 2 levels (IIRC) ahead to get the colony and a level takes several months, so it's not like 1 day makes a difference. Just because the notifier says "OH GOD YOU'RE LOSING AAAAAAAAAA" doesn't mean it's actually that urgent.

Haven't played for a while, but as I recall, when it's America and Britain competing for Washington, a few days every time makes a difference, because that competition goes to like 20 levels of colonial development.

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 20, 2015

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Gort posted:

Is the stuff on Wiz's Twitter the only news about this? Do we know when the patch is coming?

Since its basically me, Wiz and Groogy doing this in our spare time I cant really promise anything. It will likely also be "beta patch forever" you can download from the forum since its an older title etc. So we will see. I already did a bunch of stuff earlier during summer vacation (Like a second level of world war rules to really f**k the world and engame unit balance) so there is at least a little chance we will put something out during christmas holidays.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I wonder if NNM is going to be updated for the new version.

If it isn't, would it be super hard for someone else to make an unofficial update? I'm not exactly experienced with modding Paradox games, but I'd assume it could be done, as a lot of overhaul mods use NNM as a base, so it's clearly changeable.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 20, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

Pseudo-random tech trees was universally considered to be one of the best things about Sword of the Stars and was really good at keeping the game fresh. Good to see it make a comeback.

unless the random tech tree locked you out of point defense technology. if that happened it was insta-remake.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

I wonder if NNM is going to be updated for the new version.

If it isn't, would it be super hard for someone else to make an unofficial update? I'm not exactly experienced with modding Paradox games, but I'd assume it could be done, as a lot of overhaul mods use NNM as a base, so it's clearly changeable.

I'm afraid there won't be any updates, the guy who did this mod said that he's no longer working on it and version 2.3 is the last for this mod.

I think he wouldn't mind if somebody else took from where he left and made a "New New Nations Mod", as he lets other modders use NNM.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Surely it wouldn't be too hard to update it for the upcoming patch?? I reckon some friend of the maker or someone he trusts can simply update it quickly, I see no issue here.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I have literally never beaten the AI in a colonial race. What usually happens is it just turns into a crisis at like 7 levels. I think you should just add a cutoff point of whoever gets to a specific number first in a race gets the colony.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Top on my Vicky 2 wishlist is an auto-occupy mode, similar to the rebel one that'll micro capturing provinces after you've won a war.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Stellaris dev diary 14 - uplifting and subspecies.

quote:

While surveying planets, explorers will sometimes come across a pre-sentient species that shows particular promise. These are beings who would likely evolve some manner of intelligence on their own if they were left alone for a few million years... but that is a long time to wait. Many spacefaring empires instead take it upon themselves to accelerate this process, turning the pre-sentients into productive galactic citizens within the span of just a few years.

In addition to the gift of sentience, the uplifted species is often bestowed with new genetic traits as well, to better suit whatever purpose their benefactors might have in mind for them. Perhaps they are looking for a hardy species to serve as shock troops in their ground armies, or industrious workers that are skilled at mineral extraction. Uplifted species are also frequently used as colonists, to settle worlds with climates that are unsuitable to an empire’s dominant species.

Never stop, Paradox :allears: I'll even forgive your CEO spoiling Star Wars on Twitter.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Sub-species stuff looks amazing.

quote:

A new subspecies that is stronger and more formidable than their parent species may eventually come to see themselves as… superior. Why should they bow down to their lessers? Meanwhile, the unmodified members of the parent species often come to regard a subspecies with jealousy and suspicion. Fear of that which is different has been a driving force in the creation of conflicts since the dawn of this galaxy, and the creation of a subspecies can often be followed by civil strife and unrest.

Can't wait to have a genetic civil war.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Will we be able to set some sort of "genetic purity" policies that ban genetic engineering? That seems to be a common trope in scify. Would drastically lower the chance of your citizens engineering without your permission and keeping your (probably xenophobic) empire "pure", but those who do would quickly find them selves wanting/needing to rebel.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm loving how much of Stellaris seems designed to avoid mid- and late-game boredom by giving you interesting things to manage and challenge you from within in those parts of the game. Stuff revealed in picture captions like your colonists spontaneously mutating themselves and later trying to kill you, or your uplifted species rebelling and founding their own empire, are fantastic and I hope stuff like that is happening all the time rather than how it is in current 4Xs where you might have one thing like that happen once in a game and it's just annoying and easily defeated.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
So I can totally be like Deathshead from Wolfenstein and create my own army of super soldiers, but in space? Sign me the gently caress up.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

canepazzo posted:

Stellaris dev diary 14 - uplifting and subspecies.

Never stop, Paradox :allears: I'll even forgive your CEO spoiling Star Wars on Twitter.

Looking forward to reenacting the Eugenics Wars in this game!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Coordinator/ Arm/Cylon scum :argh:

This has some great potential.

I wonder if "communication" technologies (space Phone/internet but also transportation) will be a important aspect in determining how large your Empire can get before it becomes difficult to manage? "Difficult" could present itself as a event factor which increases the chance for certain (mostly bad) events to fire, for example one of those colonial "innitiatives" for self modifications and eventual revolts.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
This DD makes it sound like there's plent of possibilities for each game to diverge and I'm looking forward to the possibilities. I wonder though if there are any other side effects or consiquences to uplifting or genetic modifications gone wrong - like uncontrolled mutations turning people into feral monsters (al-la Bioshock or something similar) that causes you to lose control of the planet but not necessarily result in a war. Maybe the aftereffects of a biowar with another empire is that the survivors all have some other genetic trait that is magnified and can either help or hinder you?

Would be a nice suprise for the next empire that happoned onto the planet, having to deal with the aftermath of someone else's mess.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The most interesting thing in that DD is that from the screenshot it looks like research points are spent like monarch points on things other than research.

Which isn't really surprising, since having abstract resources of some kind makes it a lot easier to present interesting choices to the player.

EDIT: Although it's not just MP, since it doesn't look like it's being banked at the top of the UI and the tech screen we saw had estimated completion dates for tech research. Maybe when you start a project like uplifting it replaces your current society tech until it's finished?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 21, 2015

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I just can't wait till we have a war between the faction that decides the only way to ensure immortality is to upload everything into a computers and then a faction of soft flesh bags to rebel and plunge the galaxy into 10,000 years of civil war.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I'm loving how much of Stellaris seems designed to avoid mid- and late-game boredom by giving you interesting things to manage and challenge you from within in those parts of the game. Stuff revealed in picture captions like your colonists spontaneously mutating themselves and later trying to kill you, or your uplifted species rebelling and founding their own empire, are fantastic and I hope stuff like that is happening all the time rather than how it is in current 4Xs where you might have one thing like that happen once in a game and it's just annoying and easily defeated.

Your empire breaking up is a serious threat in Distant Worlds if you do things that are against your race's tendencies. I remember a game where I had two rebel empires breaking away from me and I actually had a lot of trouble reconquering them. Unfortunately the main reason it was so difficult is that the automation system in DW is broken half the time and taking direct control of your military is a complete pain and almost impossible once your empire reaches a certain size.

It's one of those games that is brilliant despite having crippling flaws.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love it if we can pick which side to play as in an empire-shattering event. I'd love to play as the new robot empire, or choose between uploaded minds or meat bags. Or even if a few of my colonies rebel would be fun to switch to them if their culture/ethos/genes are better and you want to see them replace your stagnant dominant power.

In most paradox games tag-switching is as easy as a quick console command and they often let you play as newly released nations, I hope the tradition continues in Stellaris.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Maybe it will be like HOI and Victoria where you can select the nation you want to play as in the loading screen? Or some gamey system like switching government types in Medieval 2: Total War where you had to provoke the rebels then lead them to an empty Capitol to ensure they won. (But god I hope not)

Sindai posted:

EDIT: Although it's not just MP, since it doesn't look like it's being banked at the top of the UI and the tech screen we saw had estimated completion dates for tech research. Maybe when you start a project like uplifting it replaces your current society tech until it's finished?

I think that's more likely since it said you specifically need a certain amount of social research points. Instead of researching a new tech tpu need to focus on uplifting the species. Or maybe you can do both, just really slowly? I wonder how many planets you can uplift at a time? Though I assume if its more than one you'd need to be very advanced to get anything done quickly when dividing your research ao many ways.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love it if we can pick which side to play as in an empire-shattering event. I'd love to play as the new robot empire, or choose between uploaded minds or meat bags. Or even if a few of my colonies rebel would be fun to switch to them if their culture/ethos/genes are better and you want to see them replace your stagnant dominant power.

In most paradox games tag-switching is as easy as a quick console command and they often let you play as newly released nations, I hope the tradition continues in Stellaris.
If I can't choose to spearhead the progression of my species into a new age of enlightened self improvement then the feature kind of sucks; I'm fairly sure that they will let you do this.

E:

quote:

Everybody's favorite game director Doomdark will post the next Dev Diary on January 4th, and it will be about Fallen Empires. That's the plan, at least!
This one is going to be pretty big, I guess.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 21, 2015

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Yeah it'll be real lovely if we can't RP secret manics who want to transform their species into machines or mutants against their own will and then side with the rebellion.

It always felt crappy when revolutions would happen in Vic 2 and if you are pro rebels you simply sit there and let them seize your capital without any true fight. I want to fight the monster I have created in order to drastically change it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did the dev diary confuse people into thinking you can't just engineer your own population whenever you want because it spends most of its time talking about pops doing it of their own accord? I think the devs took that as such a given they only mentioned it in passing:

quote:

When an empire has reached a certain level of technology, they will have unlocked the tools necessary to modify the genetic code of their citizens. Whether or not they choose to make use of those tools,

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 21, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I am playing this day one.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

If I can't choose to spearhead the progression of my species into a new age of enlightened self improvement then the feature kind of sucks; I'm fairly sure that they will let you do this.

It's right here in this screenshot from the leaders dev blog.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Even if the actual gameplay turns out to be a mess mechanically, there seems to be a lot to mess around with.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I was more referring to the fact that if some kind of post-species revolt happens in a distant part of my empire I would like to option to play as them if I think they look cool.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Honestly, from what I've been reading so far, it sounds like Stellaris is very much going to be a game divided into two phases; a first phase where you make choices and decisions to expand, and then a second phase where you have to deal with all of the consequences of the choices you made. Sure, you can divide your race into genetic sub-races who are all good at one specific thing and that may be super effective in the short run, but say seventy or even one hundred years later after the first generation which was okay with it is cycled out, you would then have to deal with the intense racial conflicts and social breakdown that rose up as a result of building your own mini-Brave New World society. Or perhaps you end up making a dramatic decision because of your start: For example, you might have chose to establish a military dictatorship in the early game since you were surrounded by hostile alien species who wanted to subjugate you. After those enemies are defeated and done with, the driving conflict would become more about fighting your own nation as now you have to deal with the consequences of building a totalitarian police state which shows no interest in dissolving itself.

In short, Stellaris is going to be awesome guys. :allears:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't wait until I get an epidemic because I've made the animal equivalent of a monoculture.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

This is excellent stuff and I am only growing more hype.

(this may be because in my scifi novel the fact of people changing themselves to fit a planet rather than terraforming the planet played a minor role)

(more likely because I can't wait to uplift ALL THE MUSHROOMS)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Stellaris is starting to sound more and more like the game we all thought Spore should have been in the space phase, and I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing. On the one hand, trust Paradox to pull it off, but on the other hand, the expectations are starting to become unreal.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Stellaris is starting to sound more and more like the game we all thought Spore should have been in the space phase, and I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing. On the one hand, trust Paradox to pull it off, but on the other hand, the expectations are starting to become unreal.

Eh. It's basically EU4 in space with some cool events and a randomized tech tree. Oh and bad planet management :downs:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

canepazzo posted:

Was 4X really something people expected Spore to be? I remember more wishful thinking about Star Control 2.

Paradox makes good event driven strategy games so its an easy jump to being excited about all our favorite science fiction tropes making it into a single game, even if they might just be flavor events. Although there does seem to be a fair bit of spitballing beyond the bounds of what they've said they are aiming for at release, its easy to file under "expansion junk" considering the stuff they've managed to shoehorn into CK2 and EU4.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The best thing about Stellaris is that all of the common sci fi worldbuilding cliches that lead to conflict and variety are not just half-hearted events tacked onto a 4x framework, but full mechanical subsystems. Every dev diary is full of features that would be given cursory attention by any other company but are the core of what is needed to evolve space strategy out of the MoO2-clone cycle it has been in for like 20 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am beyond excited for Stellaris, if it ends up living up to the expectations it sets for itself I'll be a very happy Paradox fanboy indeed!

I think it would be interesting if you'd be able to pick up games in the same galaxy of your first play through as a new race which recently gained the ability to colonize the stars. How great would it be to encounter a decadent and collapsed version of the empire you recently played through the week before?