Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Humphreys posted:

Saw an interesting thing today that might class as a resurgence of an old tech.

Depending on your age you might remember 'coin slugs'. When I was a kid and moreso my father - the one kid who has a coin slug ruled the arcade and some vending machines with a counterfeit coin and some had ones on a string that didnt work as well.

From wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(coin)

Obviously now most machines can judge weight and electrical resistance of coins to tell fakes from real, but some devices do still exist that just need something of the right physical dimensions.

Enter my friends Nissan 370Z.

She proudly showed me this little fake coin the size of a $1AUD coin and I thought it was just a place holder for a spare CR2023 battery for the keyfob. But no! Apparently it's designed so you can take the slug out and put it into shopping trolleys/carts and luggage carts without the need to keep change on you. Now those carts DO refund you your $1 when you return it so not sure if counts as stealing. But I had a good laugh about my childhood.

These are really common in Germany, mostly made of plastic. They are on many gift keyrings and even parking discs. Keeping them in your wallet can wear the edges down and some carts might have trouble accepting them then.
The coinlocks on shopping carts are only there to keep people from taking a lot of carts at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Lurking Haro posted:

These are really common in Germany, mostly made of plastic. They are on many gift keyrings and even parking discs. Keeping them in your wallet can wear the edges down and some carts might have trouble accepting them then.
The coinlocks on shopping carts are only there to keep people from taking a lot of carts at once.

Nah, they're there so that you have to return them where you got them instead of leaving them in the parking lot.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Nah, they're there so that you have to return them where you got them instead of leaving them in the parking lot.

Or taking them home.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Samizdata posted:

Or taking them home.

There's a new technology for that! The supermarket across the street has a system where the wheels of the shopping cart lock up when you take them from the parking lot. It's awesome! I watched a half-drunk guy trying to get off the lot, but suddenly, the wheels don't work. So drunk guy thinks the cart is broken and makes his way back to exchange it. Suddenly......it's working again! So he turns around, walks 2 meters and *bam*, locked again. This went on three times until he took his stuff out and left.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

RabbitWizard posted:

There's a new technology for that! The supermarket across the street has a system where the wheels of the shopping cart lock up when you take them from the parking lot. It's awesome! I watched a half-drunk guy trying to get off the lot, but suddenly, the wheels don't work. So drunk guy thinks the cart is broken and makes his way back to exchange it. Suddenly......it's working again! So he turns around, walks 2 meters and *bam*, locked again. This went on three times until he took his stuff out and left.
That system must have been ridiculously expensive to buy and implement, compared to what minor problem it solves. So it has a sensor, and an electrical motor activates locks on the wheels when it gets out of range of the store?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Or taking them home.

If I'd want a shopping cart, I'd "buy" it for a dollar.

Pilsner posted:

That system must have been ridiculously expensive to buy and implement, compared to what minor problem it solves. So it has a sensor, and an electrical motor activates locks on the wheels when it gets out of range of the store?

Shopping carts are expensive. It also wouldn't need a motor, just a magnet latch. Pushing the cart could even supply the power it needs.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Pilsner posted:

A shopping cart costs about 100-150€, so guess it's worth it. Quickly found statistics suggest that every 20th shopping card is stolen/gets lost each year. Probably higher where I live because people here are poo poo people. I've seen many carts around town before they had that system, not any more.
Also it's very, very funny if someone tries to get off the parking lot, so totally worth it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Urban shopping centers have had those for awhile. Maybe 10-15 years. It's like an electric fence for your dog. Hit the barrier and instead of a shock, the wheels lock.

As for shopping carts you rent, is that common in Germany? The only store I've seen in the States that does that is Aldi. I knew it was a cost savings thing, but is it some kind of Fatherland thing too?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
My dad knows a couple of people who own supermarkets and shopping trolley theft is (was?) actually quite a big problem, because of how expensive and annoying they are to replace.

I'm sure there's a few different implementations, but I used to live near one where there was a wire buried around the edge of the parking lot, and if you got too close then the lock would activate. My enterprising flatmates figured out how close you had to be to activate the lock (1m or so), then lifted the cart that same height and carried it over the boundary. Then they took the cart home with no trouble.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Urban shopping centers have had those for awhile. Maybe 10-15 years. It's like an electric fence for your dog. Hit the barrier and instead of a shock, the wheels lock.

As for shopping carts you rent, is that common in Germany? The only store I've seen in the States that does that is Aldi. I knew it was a cost savings thing, but is it some kind of Fatherland thing too?

Don't know about Germany, but practically every place in the Northern Europe has those. I don't think it has anything to do with cost savings or anything, the lock mechanism releases a chain which otherwise keeps the carts together when you put your coin in it, and you get your same coin back when you return the cart. The chain also makes it easier for clerks to take the carts from the parking lot depots to the store entrance, since they don't trail off.

Keeps things tidy and efficient.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Krispy Kareem posted:

More and more stores seem to implement it. The technology is indeed older, 10-15 years like you said, but just getting traction in Germany. Seems to be a real problem in "socially weak" areas where people don't have a car.

Edit: ^ Huh? It's about the wheels, not the chain. The "deposit" of 1€ is normal everywhere here.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Lurking Haro posted:

A bare keyring without a chain or fob, of the right size and stiffness, works great for unlocking shipping carts

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I found a few ancient files on my system with .S3M extensions! God, that was a nice little blip in the years just before computers really became ubiquitous. For a good long while it was easier to find and download a (pretty faithful) tracker version of Robert MIles' "Children" than the MP3.

Also, I would like to thank FastTracker and Scream Tracker for proving beyond any doubt that I had no business trying to make music.

edit: YESSSSS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UUvrj9yVVw

Trabant has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Dec 22, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Trabant posted:

I found a few ancient files on my system with .S3M extensions! God, that was a nice little blip in the years just before computers really became ubiquitous. For a good long while it was easier to find and download a (pretty faithful) tracker version of Robert MIles' "Children" than the MP3.

Also, I would like to thank FastTracker and Scream Tracker for proving beyond any doubt that I had no business trying to make music.

I used to be obsessed with tracking back in the early 2000s. Used to spend hours making stuff in Modplug. I was a terrible musician, but there was just something charming about it, halfway between programming and art.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Trabant posted:

The music in Unreal and Unreal Tournament 99 and some other games are just regular module files that can be played and opened in trackers like ModPlug.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RabbitWizard posted:

A shopping cart costs about 100-150€, so guess it's worth it. Quickly found statistics suggest that every 20th shopping card is stolen/gets lost each year. Probably higher where I live because people here are poo poo people. I've seen many carts around town before they had that system, not any more.
Also it's very, very funny if someone tries to get off the parking lot, so totally worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l0KNCzb88Q

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

robodex posted:

I used to be obsessed with tracking back in the early 2000s. Used to spend hours making stuff in Modplug. I was a terrible musician, but there was just something charming about it, halfway between programming and art.

Same here -- I enjoyed the process so much that for a while I was able to ignore how bad I was at it :downs:

axolotl farmer posted:

The music in Unreal and Unreal Tournament 99 and some other games are just regular module files that can be played and opened in trackers like ModPlug.

Kinda surprising, I have to admit. It was probably done to save on filesize?

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

Trabant posted:

edit: YESSSSS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UUvrj9yVVw

Ahhh memories. I basically lived in scream tracker between 96-99.

One of my all time faves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDQxkiJPv0

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

My dad knows a couple of people who own supermarkets and shopping trolley theft is (was?) actually quite a big problem, because of how expensive and annoying they are to replace.

I'm sure there's a few different implementations, but I used to live near one where there was a wire buried around the edge of the parking lot, and if you got too close then the lock would activate. My enterprising flatmates figured out how close you had to be to activate the lock (1m or so), then lifted the cart that same height and carried it over the boundary. Then they took the cart home with no trouble.

Following on that...

My wife worked at a Winners in Edmonton (like TJ Maxx, for you Americans) and the management had a similar system installed at the mall doors. This was to prevent the carts from leaving the store and ending up all over West Edmonton Mall (and also from being trundled home). After all, no one is going to lift the carts over the threshold right in front of the store. That's a little too obvious.

However, the installers installed the magnet facing down. The locks would never activate.

And management decided it was too expensive to correct the problem.

I have no idea how many carts they ended up losing.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Trackers are still around, Renoise etc. Here's a tracker running on an old graphing calculator, skip to 3.30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6G0CnBSWVk

Better sounding than you'd expect.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Schism Tracker is a ~99% feature complete clone of Impulse Tracker but it runs properly on (among others) modern Windowses. Of course instantly familiar to those who messed around with Scream Tracker too.

For those who want to relive the nostalgia with a bit more immersion.

e: or test how much of their muscle memory is still there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

loga mira posted:

Trackers are still around, Renoise etc. Here's a tracker running on an old graphing calculator, skip to 3.30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6G0CnBSWVk

Better sounding than you'd expect.

I never knew the TI's had oscillators in them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lurking Haro posted:

The really funny thing is that people often get more attached to getting their slug back from the cart than they would a 1€ coin.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Der Kyhe posted:

Don't know about Germany, but practically every place in the Northern Europe has those. I don't think it has anything to do with cost savings or anything, the lock mechanism releases a chain which otherwise keeps the carts together when you put your coin in it, and you get your same coin back when you return the cart. The chain also makes it easier for clerks to take the carts from the parking lot depots to the store entrance, since they don't trail off.

Keeps things tidy and efficient.

What if you don't have a coin on you, are you just out of luck?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can usually get a slug in the store for free, since they're marketing material.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Then what's the point of having it take dollar coins at all?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Convenience?

Originally it was assumed people would always have a coin to unlock the cart, but since cash (especially coins) is rapidly becoming an obsolete technology you can no longer assume that.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Convenience?

Originally it was assumed people would always have a coin to unlock the cart, but since cash (especially coins) is rapidly becoming an obsolete technology you can no longer assume that.

So, what you are saying is that Square needs to make a debit terminal for the carts then?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

The really funny thing is that people often get more attached to getting their slug back from the cart than they would a 1€ coin.

Slugs are prime pog slammers.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lurking Haro posted:

Slugs are prime pog slammers.

our administration would only allow Pog brand slammers on school grounds

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Life hack: European shopping carts meant to be unlocked with a one euro coin will happily accept a five cent coin. (I mean you don't save anything since you always get your own coin back but handy if you don't have a euro :shrug:)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Any coin smaller than a euro goes in the shrapnel/donation jar.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

axolotl farmer posted:

The music from the original Unreal kicks rear end. I listen to it now and then. The files also contain human-written comments in the "samples" metadata, some of which are shout-outs and fun blurbs.

Deus Ex's music is also tracker (Impulse Tracker, .it files) and is cool. EverQuest's original music likewise, XMI format.

Make sure you use a proper media player for playing them, as one file can contain multiple sub-tracks. XMPlay is good.

Pilsner has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Dec 23, 2015

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Fuzz1111 posted:

I will say this - hard drive defragmenters that not only make individual files continuous, but ensure that related files (eg: those in the same directory) are close together can definitely make a difference.

I remember getting acquainted with the 3rd party defragmenters that did this in the early days of counter-strike - the days before steam existed but when CS was popular enough that the WON.NET copy protection servers were quite overwhelmed (because they only had to deal with a few half-life 1 deathmatch players before CS came around).

It got to the point that the game would spend the majority of its load time authenticating with WON.NET and if your PC didn't spend the rest of the time hauling arse loading the map, then you would time out before the load was done, and probably find that the server you were trying to join was full when you tried again. Yes defragging definitely made a difference.

gently caress that was a poo poo - every time I patched half-life or counter-strike it was time for another defrag I'm pissed off just remembering this poo poo.
Did that happen before or after the 20 minutes you spent downloading the Unreal Tournament kill sound effects plus Homer saying "D'oh" and Nelson saying "Ha Ha"?

Humphreys posted:

She proudly showed me this little fake coin the size of a $1AUD coin and I thought it was just a place holder for a spare CR2023 battery for the keyfob. But no! Apparently it's designed so you can take the slug out and put it into shopping trolleys/carts and luggage carts without the need to keep change on you. Now those carts DO refund you your $1 when you return it so not sure if counts as stealing. But I had a good laugh about my childhood.
I haven't seen that in the US in at least 20 years and even then when I was 10 years old I remember people complaining about it.

RabbitWizard posted:

I went to school at an urban campus and the Target across the street from us had one of these in the lobby. I found a spot about two inches wide where you could get a running start and get past the lock, but you had to have two people hold the doors open so you didn't crash into them. For my entire time planning student events it was my job to take two people with me to hold the doors open, buy as much soda as we needed, and run the cart through that gap so we could push it across the street instead of going to the trouble of begging our facilities department to lend us a flatbed cart to go get it.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

flosofl posted:

I never knew the TI's had oscillators in them.

They don't.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

GWBBQ posted:

Did that happen before or after the 20 minutes you spent downloading the Unreal Tournament kill sound effects plus Homer saying "D'oh" and Nelson saying "Ha Ha"?

I used to love setting up my windows 98 machine with custom sound clips, shutdown screens, and animated pointers that glowed with lightening. It feels like that was a very late-90's/early-2000's thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GWBBQ posted:

This poo poo was annoying. Also the ever popular situation where you'd not have the map and because the game didn't download it automatically, it would just kick you out.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

dobbymoodge posted:

They don't.

They do just not that kind.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

titties posted:

I used to love setting up my windows 98 machine with custom sound clips, shutdown screens, and animated pointers that glowed with lightening. It feels like that was a very late-90's/early-2000's thing.

I remember setting the boot login sound to the usual dialup screeches on a coworkers computer on a delay many years ago. It was glorious. I just LOVE those sounds because I am broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Jerry Cotton posted:

Life hack: European shopping carts meant to be unlocked with a one euro coin will happily accept a five cent coin. (I mean you don't save anything since you always get your own coin back but handy if you don't have a euro :shrug:)

Shopping carts and most coin-operated toilet locks also accept a Hilti R-23 washer in place of a one-euro coin. I always carry one on my keychain because I'll rather pay ¢8 than €1 to take a leak at a bus or train station.