Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

Does the 2011 anime remake follow the manga completely? Just curious because not sure if I want to watch the entire series then go and read 200+ chapters all over again once I'm done.

So far it's fun reminds me of why I initially liked action/adventure anime.

The only stuff the anime doesn't cover is a handful of flashback chapters and the new arc which has like 10 chapters and has been on hiatus since forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Alder posted:

Does the 2011 anime remake follow the manga completely? Just curious because not sure if I want to watch the entire series then go and read 200+ chapters all over again once I'm done.

So far it's fun reminds me of why I initially liked action/adventure anime.

It skips over and abridges some of the early chapters of the manga, but once it gets through the hunter exam arc it starts taking its time and more accurately follows the manga. You can watch the anime and pick up where it finishes without missing anything important in the manga.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Pierson posted:

Also gently caress you Togashi for that rabbit-man pretending to be Gotoh and giving us hope for like two panels, WHO THE gently caress DOES THAT
How do we know that the Gotoh before rabbit Gotoh was the original Gotoh? How do we know that the Gotoh Hisoka slayed is the same Gotoh the played the coin game with Gon? How many Gotohs have there actually been?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I am Gotoh.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
wearing a snazzy suit, confirmed for gotoh

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I am Gotoh.

Gotoh Hell Mod Seafood.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I have no interest in moving to South Korea at this time.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Bad Seafood posted:

I have no interest in moving to South Korea at this time.

I'm Korean and I'd be offended by this if I wasn't living in Korea right now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Must be fuckin' terrible to be a Korean.

You wake up, leave your apartment, then get in a bus, toss your wallet or your phone onto the sensor because that's where you keep your transportation card (or a bank card that doubles as one), and then stand in a bus waiting to die (also known as going to work).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Being a Hunter is probably way cooler than being Korean.

I wish I was a Hunter.

I'd show up in a chapter as a background character, reappear 100 chapters later in the background again, then die 10 chapters later among other background characters,

gently caress yeah.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

being a hunter is cool because you get to sperg out wildly about whatever particular subject you're really into

most hunters are just huge loving nerds, like the cooking pair in the exam, or the history dweebs like ging, etc.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Yeah but much of the time you're worried something is going to prolapse your intestines. Even the cooking ones probably face death on occasion

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's the price you pay for being able to do nearly anything you want, ever. Also if you have nen then you're a bigger badass than most non-hunter things you may encounter.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I started watching the 2011 series. It's good.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

It skips over and abridges some of the early chapters of the manga, but once it gets through the hunter exam arc it starts taking its time and more accurately follows the manga. You can watch the anime and pick up where it finishes without missing anything important in the manga.

Alright, thanks. I don't mind the hiatus since I'm following sooo many series all at once but will be sad if it never updates.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Relin posted:

Yeah but much of the time you're worried something is going to prolapse your intestines. Even the cooking ones probably face death on occasion

Coating your gut with Nen is probably good enough to save you from pretty much anything short of Toriko-level foods.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Relin posted:

Given the world of HxH, you're apt to face death anyways.

Might as well have to tools to defend yourself.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
On a side note, Blacklist Hunters tend to have lovely performances.

You have...
1. That guy during the 287th Hunter Exams who claims that Jones (the guy who got his heart ripped out by a nen-less Killua) is his greatest catch.
2. That guy who works for the Jolly Dicks, who got beaten up by Canary, who was like 10 years old, even with like 100 dudes backing him up.
3. Bushidora, the Single Star Hunter who gets killed by Hisoka without even getting a proper fight scene.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kurapika's a blacklist hunter, sort of, and he's pretty badass. Though his hunting the Phantom Troupe was mostly done as a personal matter and I don't think he ever sought public credit or anything for that, and has spent more time being a mafioso before becoming a Zodiac. Still, technically he counts; it was his original goal even.

We also have Saiyu, another Zodiac, and Binolt, who... Is a hair-eating creep and got used as a training dummy for Gon and Killua. Also a criminal who probably belonged on the list despite hunting people on it. So yeah we're more misses than hits on them admittedly. As badass as the position sounded when Kurapika wanted to be one in the beginning, besides Kurapika himself we only have one who isn't a letdown.

Edit: Tangent, but I just remembered the whole thing with stars and whatnot to rank hunters. We've seen a fair amount of single star hunters (Morel and Tsezguerra, as well as Menchi back from the exam, plus several people who showed up in the election), a few doubles (Ging, Biscuit, Mizaistrom, and Saccho, plus Teradain (guy who tried a coup in the election and got murdered) and Linne (old lady in the election), and only three triples (Cheadle, Pariston, and Botobai, though Ging could have qualified had he bothered allegedly). While the single star hunters have varied in impressiveness, the doubles and triples have done pretty well for themselves.

I'm curious about the accomplishments of the triple star hunters; while Botobai probably kicked a lot of rear end for his position (being a terrorist hunter, a military man, and other things), I'd like to know what crazy accomplishments Cheadle (a "virus hunter", doctor and lawyer) and Pariston (Vice-Chairman, briefly Chairman, and all-around slimeball) have to their names to have the highest possible rankings a hunter can receive. I'm assuming Pariston didn't get his stars just for being Vice-Chairman; he's proven himself to be scarily competent, and he must have caught Netero's eye to be picked as Vice-Chairman.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 24, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Cheadle is a disease hunter, she probably cured cancer or something.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I was told to ask in here.

Yu Yu Hasuko is on sale on viz manga, thirty eight dollars for the whole manga.

Is it actually good and worth reading today, if I have no nostalgia?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I'd say so, even if it doesn't quite stack up to Hunter x Hunter. It's a good, solid series with glimmers of greatness (although it does become great during the last arc).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Double Star Hunters are masters of their chosen field who have successfully trained a student to becoming a single star hunter. While Triple Star Hunters are Double Star Hunters who are masters of several fields who have done really really impressive things in them. Ging is mainly into Ruins and exploration that would be why he is not a triple star having not broadened his interests enough possibly.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 24, 2015

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Skychrono posted:

I was told to ask in here.

Yu Yu Hasuko is on sale on viz manga, thirty eight dollars for the whole manga.

Is it actually good and worth reading today, if I have no nostalgia?

If you dont watch the YYH anime you're loving missing out

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I saw a bit back in the day. Good dubbing at least.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Skychrono posted:

I saw a bit back in the day. Good dubbing at least.

A mulberry is a tree, and Kuwabara is a man.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Logicblade posted:

A mulberry is a tree, and Kuwabara is a man.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Double Star Hunters are masters of their chosen field who have successfully trained a student to becoming a single star hunter. While Triple Star Hunters are Double Star Hunters who are masters of several fields who have done really really impressive things in them. Ging is mainly into Ruins and exploration that would be why he is not a triple star having not broadened his interests enough possibly.
IIRC Ging has the credentials to apply for a triple star license, he just hasn't bothered.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I thought stars were something that were given out.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
From what's been mentioned about them it talks about 'significant contributions' to qualify, so most likely it sounds like a combination of peer review and a higher-star sponsor. Triple-star credentials probably require recognition by either a significant percentage of the single and double hunters or the world government or something. I don't think we'll ever really find out because it'd remove a lot of mystery for no real payoff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, what is the hunter's organization for if not accreditation?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, what is the hunter's organization for if not accreditation?

Lobbying. The Election arc and the current one make it clear just how much international influence the Association has. Even aside from all the exemptions from regular law and access, they also can also order around the governments of the world to a certain degree.

e X fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 24, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
also as a source of minor characters to get clowned on whenever the cast need them, duh

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

I'm watching through this for the first time RIP Kurt and Reina

Edit: ponzu had a rough death and the spider ant that caught Pokkles arrows is weird and annoying. Kites power is funny but cool. Snake-horse-ant was a satisfying death

Another edit: God drat kite is badass, cool scythe action

Jaweeeblop fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 25, 2015

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

I like how this show makes you go from rooting for Kurapika to kill the Phantom Troupe to rooting for the Phantom Troupe to kill the chimera ants seamlessly.

The score during Feitans fight with Zazan samples Holst's Jupiter a lot and it's really cool

Jaweeeblop fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 26, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Gon and Killua running into the Phantom Troupe right after the Yorknew arc was always a funny characterizing bit about how they're not gonna hold hard feelings even if they had been fighting against each other in the last arc.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
What is everyone's opinion on the 3 royal guards and the lesser chimera ants.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

RIP Peggy

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Youpi is the most underappreciated royal guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Youpi owns, Pouf is the worst