Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Epsilon Plus posted:

dear whoever Psyonic is: I'm sorry I shot up your King Crab. I hope in time that we can be friends.

Also how does this Stormcrow look for someone who only has the B-variant for right now? When I can afford to I'll be picking up the other variants so I can use their parts/master the thing. The UAC/20 chews the gently caress out of heavy/assault backsides and woe betide the medium or light I catch standing still.

I'd go all small pulse, add another ton of UAC/20 ammo, and use the other two tons for heat sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Space
Apr 29, 2008
Got back into this with the steam release. Can I get an invite to WoL please?

Also, should I be focusing on clan OR IS mechs, but not both? I've been mostly buying stuff that was suggested here or looks cool and now my garage is pretty well split between the two.

Edit: should have mentioned my in game name is also Ace of Space

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
What the hell is wrong with me? I'm loving my shiny new Urbanmech.

Whoever said that you just get ignored in these is spot on. I've been looked at from point blank range with a great deal of what I can only assume is contempt, and then not shot at. Oh sure, sometimes they just chuckle at you and make you explode. But most of the time it is some sort of bizzaro-chill light Mech action. It feels similar to drinking heavily and waddling around in an LRM boat.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Do we run IS or Clan in CW? The few things I've seen from streams and stuff seems like Clans tend to just get creamed, but I like most of their 'mechs so that's what I've been playing (and what I have more of).

Plus when I'm grinding out three variants I can just swap Omnipods around if one of the variants is kind of poo poo.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
WOL does IS CW mostly. GIRL does clan CW exclusively. Both groups do whatever in pub drops. Pick accordingly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Here is a spreadsheet to put your sa and mwo names on, add your names and link it again in thread when you want to get an invite. A wol bird will see it, and send you a friend invite. Once you've accepted that hopefully they will invite you to the unit.

Mumble details are in the unit greeting message in game.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 24, 2015

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
A very brave/retarded AC/20 KGC-000B.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Someone post that "what it's like to pilot an atlas" comic again please.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

As a counter balance to this, I ran into the Coward Crab on my team. pair of AC2s, 3 large lasers, 3 LRM5s. Just sit a billion miles away on a hill and don't help your team at all. Like a boss.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Epsilon Plus posted:

I'm not entirely sure what exactly I did, only that I got the kill on him and two other dorks, then marched down the mountain pass while the rest of the team died before getting clusterfucked near your cap point. Playing the King Crab for me is a time to just go into a fugue and wildly mash my weapon buttons while pointing at torsos.

This is what I do too. Suddenly I'm half way across the map, no one else is around and I'm slowly going down while leaving half the enemy team with no arms. I'm really good at shooting off arms without trying to. Usually my team's.

I kind of want to swap out my dual mediums for a large pulse, or maybe two larges of some kind if I can make space. Medium lasers just don't feel strong at all and I don't like them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raised by Hamsters posted:

What the hell is wrong with me? I'm loving my shiny new Urbanmech.

Whoever said that you just get ignored in these is spot on. I've been looked at from point blank range with a great deal of what I can only assume is contempt, and then not shot at. Oh sure, sometimes they just chuckle at you and make you explode. But most of the time it is some sort of bizzaro-chill light Mech action. It feels similar to drinking heavily and waddling around in an LRM boat.

Urbanmechs are also the perfect size/shape to use nearly anything in game as cover. Even things other mechs can't. It's fantastic.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I heard this game was good again, so i'm bring back ER-PCP/Liao's House of Noodles. We would join WoL but everyone got pissy one time we did drunk drops and I streamed, is WoL still all spergin' OPSEC all the time?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

various cheeses posted:

Someone post that "what it's like to pilot an atlas" comic again please.

I put up the original but I'm on a tablet away from home for the next two days. It should be in my post history.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Photex posted:

I heard this game was good again, so i'm bring back ER-PCP/Liao's House of Noodles. We would join WoL but everyone got pissy one time we did drunk drops and I streamed, is WoL still all spergin' OPSEC all the time?

WoL is basically just a place to shoot robots and play CW on Liao/JF, no one gives a poo poo about that crap no more.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Photex posted:

I'd invite you.

Sarsapariller posted:

I put up the original but I'm on a tablet away from home for the next two days. It should be in my post history.

Thanks chief.

various cheeses fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 24, 2015

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

various cheeses posted:

I'd invite you.

what are we using for voice comms, my group (all goons) is really used to using Discord at this point there is about 6 of us from ER-PCP/LHON

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Photex posted:

what are we using for voice comms, my group (all goons) is really used to using Discord at this point there is about 6 of us from ER-PCP/LHON

I PMed you the info.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Love Stole the Day posted:

alright everyone pack it up, i just beat the game.

that's right, i just beat mechwarrior.

i have the best possible build for the best 'mech in the game. there's literally no reason to ever play anything else from now on:

sorry for breaking the curve, everyone.

Homey that's the exact loving build I linked you two weeks ago when you first bought the drat thing.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Epsilon Plus posted:

dear whoever Psyonic is: I'm sorry I shot up your King Crab. I hope in time that we can be friends.

All is forgiven. I assumed it was some stupid steam pubbie. And yeah, I lost my left arm ultras and left torso lasers to you which left me with 2 ultras in my right arm. =) right in the middle of a firefight with a enemy heavy mech. =please

I sound more serious than I actually play...

Ok. You got me.. MWO is my life. I'm sorry I tried to deny it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SabinBlitz posted:

All is forgiven. I assumed it was some stupid steam pubbie. And yeah, I lost my left arm ultras and left torso lasers to you which left me with 2 ultras in my right arm. =) right in the middle of a firefight with a enemy heavy mech. =please

I sound more serious than I actually play...

Ok. You got me.. MWO is my life. I'm sorry I tried to deny it.

That's actually my favorite thing to do, accidentally shoot off my team's arms just as they're running in to shoot someone. Then watching that moment of hesitation when they realize their guns are hosed and they don't know who shot them and now they can't fight the guy they wanted to.

I'm kind of bad at this game, and I'm starting to enjoy being bad.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Had a great night playing stompy robots with goons and drinking, somehow even won a lot too.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Are firestarters still serviceable? I still have a few kicking about in the mechbays.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Homey that's the exact loving build I linked you two weeks ago when you first bought the drat thing.

I have been outed as a fraud. My life is a lie, you guys. Mechwarrior will never be the same again for me.

srsly though - sorry, i completely forgot about your build link and just sort of made it and thought i had discovered gold. my bad.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mindblast posted:

Are firestarters still serviceable? I still have a few kicking about in the mechbays.

Sure. The latest craze is jenner II-Cs (before that it was Arctic Cheetahs) but that doesn't mean firestarters suck or anything.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Thanks for letting me know about stripping armor off the rear and putting it on my front, I didn't even know that was a thing I could do! I also don't think I have enough armor slots for Endo armor and quad UAC5's sound cool but they would be hella expensive right now and I am saving for mech no. 2. I did ditch my case though for more ammo. The next game I snagged 6 kills so I guess this paid off.

Also I would like an invite to WoL if that's possible, so I can get some goon robutt action going on. IGN is also Axetrain, prepare for me to be very bad.

Here's that invite spread sheet.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Axetrain posted:

Thanks for letting me know about stripping armor off the rear and putting it on my front, I didn't even know that was a thing I could do!

I dare say not tinkering with armor values is why so many pubbies think the Hunchback II-C is a glass cannon. The fucker armors up pretty well if you actually put armor on it, it just comes with bugger all stock.

It's ok though, the more you know and all that :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So here's a question. Why do people always rush to certain areas then never move even if the enemy never shows up, is it just people being dumb? Like the city area on that huge frozen map. I'm in a game where like only two small scouts went up there and the rest of the mechs came around back to try and get everyone so like two of us were left to deal with them while everyone else just sat in a spot where no one ever went because no one on the enemy team was dumb enough to fight a heavily fortified up hill battle.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Axetrain posted:

Thanks for letting me know about stripping armor off the rear and putting it on my front, I didn't even know that was a thing I could do! I also don't think I have enough armor slots for Endo armor and quad UAC5's sound cool but they would be hella expensive right now and I am saving for mech no. 2. I did ditch my case though for more ammo. The next game I snagged 6 kills so I guess this paid off.

Also I would like an invite to WoL if that's possible, so I can get some goon robutt action going on. IGN is also Axetrain, prepare for me to be very bad.

Here's that invite spread sheet.

sent a friend request, send a pm when you get it and look in offline send the pm from there. :pgi:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nuebot posted:

So here's a question. Why do people always rush to certain areas then never move even if the enemy never shows up, is it just people being dumb? Like the city area on that huge frozen map. I'm in a game where like only two small scouts went up there and the rest of the mechs came around back to try and get everyone so like two of us were left to deal with them while everyone else just sat in a spot where no one ever went because no one on the enemy team was dumb enough to fight a heavily fortified up hill battle.

Because they're cowards. Like in any FPS, lots of people want to play sniper and/or camp while someone else does the real work. I'd say you get used to it, but you really don't. It's just how pubbies roll.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Because they're cowards. Like in any FPS, lots of people want to play sniper and/or camp while someone else does the real work. I'd say you get used to it, but you really don't. It's just how pubbies roll.

Right, just wanted to make sure there wasn't actually some greater strategy at play I was missing. I find I Actually do pretty good in those big dumb sniper games when I just get bored of it and walk out and shoot dudes, because they usually don't expect someone to get up in their face and shoot them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nuebot posted:

Right, just wanted to make sure there wasn't actually some greater strategy at play I was missing. I find I Actually do pretty good in those big dumb sniper games when I just get bored of it and walk out and shoot dudes, because they usually don't expect someone to get up in their face and shoot them.

Depends on what you walk out into. Generally you'll just run into their camping sniper ball sooner or later and you get focused, because nobody will ever follow you. There are times where holding your ground and just defending is obviously the tactically correct choice, but usually in pub games laziness and stupidity is the explanation rather than tactical acumen.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Depends on what you walk out into. Generally you'll just run into their camping sniper ball sooner or later and you get focused, because nobody will ever follow you. There are times where holding your ground and just defending is obviously the tactically correct choice, but usually in pub games laziness and stupidity is the explanation rather than tactical acumen.

I was just in a game where the whole enemy team was coming through the tunnel in crimson strait. Literally all of them. So instead of shooting them where they couldn't fight back without shooting eachother, almost the whole team buggers off on top of the bridge to wait for them to spread out and take out the whole underside. Maybe my tactics are bad, but if people hadn't just bolted off we probably could have dealt with the weak ones before the assaults caught up.

EDIT: I think I just had my best game ever. 5 kills, 1 assist and 1 teamkill. I think I was MVP on both teams.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 24, 2015

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Reinstalled cuz I heard it was good again. Please reinvite goblin to WoL. Bropocalypse Now represent.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
As a lot of birds have been saying, it's basically cowardice. A lot of pubbies know how to get into position. Even a good one. But the "first one through," the act of actually pushing over? They're not gonna do it. Sometimes they'll work with you if you've got an assault lance and can jump on ingame comms and tell them what you're doing in the sense that they can see you literally storming over.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Added myself to the invite spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-ftWAUEYqjulLy2rM_TmzhL73qy0KpmsMUxcXEO9noo/edit?usp=docslist_api

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I finally got my professional butt shooting mech and now I can shoot butts like the best of them in my shiny new firestarter.

Also I've put like 24 hours into this terrible terrible game in like 4 days :<

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

added myself to the WoL sheet, someone shoot me an invite

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Invites sent.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Who ever told me that double AMS is bad was way wrong. Standing next to someone and nullifying rockets is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skoll posted:

Invites sent.

Thanks much.

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Who ever told me that double AMS is bad was way wrong. Standing next to someone and nullifying rockets is fun

Things that are better at nulifying missiles:

1) ECM
2) radar dep
3) standing behind just about anything.

Outside of CW there really aren't that many maps where it is a big issue, and that space and ammo can be better used equipping poo poo to kill other players with.

• Locked thread