Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
IQ and Twitch have excellent rifles in the 552 and Famas, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
All the assault rifles are good however.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
IQ is the anti-kapkan and is best at finding the objective if the drones didn't. Also can counter Jaeger which Thatcher can't. Great guns too.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Krogort posted:

All the assault rifles are good however.

Well yeah, but some are better than others. Probably not enough to justify the lacklustre abilities, but the Famas especially is like a bullet-spewing (fookin) laser gun.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I like how everyone has a different idea of what the ideal operators are, really speaks to the balance of the whole game.

Thatcher/Pulse 4 lyfe.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Krogort posted:

Doc and Twitch are terrible, bottom of the poo poo tier list (with IQ and Tatchanka).

Thatcher makes Twitch obsolete.
Doc skill doesn't come into play often enough (downed teammate nearby) to warrant taking him over many other operators.

Twitchs drone isn't for killing traps. It's for harassing people in cover so they're forced to deal with the drone or get pecked to death. I've had numerous situations where an enemy has gotten killed because they were forced to move out of cover to deal with a shock drone and accidentally exposed themselves to gunfire. Thatchers grenades can't do that.

Jehde posted:

I like how everyone has a different idea of what the ideal operators are, really speaks to the balance of the whole game.

Thatcher/Pulse 4 lyfe.

I think we can ask agree IQs ability is lacking. If kapkans traps were harder to see it might be more useful but simply looking at the door you're about to go through will tell you if one is there and what side it's on.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 26, 2015

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

e; doublepost

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
IQ's gadget should say what the device is that's been identified, or allow her to tag devices for the whole of the team to see - some kind of extra functionality, at least. Hopefully Ubi will do some rebalancing of certain characters.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Guys I've figured out this 'teamwork' thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsrWJCgRYLg

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

ghetto wormhole posted:

IQ is the anti-kapkan and is best at finding the objective if the drones didn't. Also can counter Jaeger which Thatcher can't. Great guns too.

What?

Kapkan is anti-kapkan by himself, it's almost impossible to not spot a door trap. The only time you wouldn't find an objective at the start is because you have no clue how the map looks like and where the objective spots are. Also, how the hell is it a counter to Jäger? Jäger places his stuff usually at a wall where you can't shoot trough it, or in the middle of the room. There is no legitimate reason why you would ever pick IQ, aside from her guns. Twitch would be a much much much much much better counter to Kapkan and Jäger.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Great Beer posted:

Twitchs drone isn't for killing traps. It's for harassing people in cover so they're forced to deal with the drone or get pecked to death. I've had numerous situations where an enemy has gotten killed because they were forced to move out of cover to deal with a shock drone and accidentally exposed themselves to gunfire. Thatchers grenades can't do that.

I think we can ask agree IQs ability is lacking. If kapkans traps were harder to see it might be more useful but simply looking at the door you're about to go through will tell you if one is there and what side it's on.

Twitch also destroys traps and jammers and such without making a huge blue ball of EMP for everyone to see. So you can send the shock drone in to destroy an EMP while someone else sends a regular drone in for more scouting and jumping and chaos. Twitch also has some great weapons and has medium armor.

Smoke might be my favorite defender just because his songs are both head shot machines. I love when blitz comes down a hall way and gives me plenty of time to walk the shots around where his head is.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 26, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Kapkan's traps remind me of Bandits shock traps. While they dont nessecerialy get you kills a majority of the time. It does deter the enemy from whererver you put them down. I have more success with Bandit in that way though since the wall flickers with power on and off and if the enemy just happens to walk by the wall while its off then :getin:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Iq can detect bros on their iPads can't she? Her ability isn't the best though. Twitch ability is pretty good actually. Especially if you knock a defender down but can't finish them toss your drone in finish them off.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

BadLlama posted:

Iq can detect bros on their iPads can't she? Her ability isn't the best though. Twitch ability is pretty good actually. Especially if you knock a defender down but can't finish them toss your drone in finish them off.

No, IQ can't do that. It was confirmed in one of those mythbusters style videos. She can, however, see Pulse when he's using his heartbeat sensor.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 26, 2015

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Kapkan's traps remind me of Bandits shock traps. While they dont nessecerialy get you kills a majority of the time. It does deter the enemy from whererver you put them down. I have more success with Bandit in that way though since the wall flickers with power on and off and if the enemy just happens to walk by the wall while its off then :getin:

How do Kapkan's traps deter anyone? You see the trap, you shoot it, and you move on. It might as well not even be there. I still get kills with it occasionally but that's getting increasingly rare, especially on ranked.

Bandit's batteries are much better but he doesn't have the Russian SMG or heavy armor. Also his (along with the other GSG 9 operators) head hitbox is awful.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Kapkan is amazing once you realize you don't just want to set all your traps at the start of the game and then camp the objective

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

The Duggler posted:

Kapkan is amazing once you realize you don't just want to set all your traps at the start of the game and then camp the objective

yeah really, putting his traps around the objective doorways is a easy way to have them be useless. I put them far away and catch people not paying attention.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

That's what I do, but any competent opponent isn't going to be caught by that. And even an incompetent one probably won't fall for it twice. What I do like is placing a shield at a doorway that is booby-trapped. If they jump over it without realizing, they die. If they shoot the trap you know they're right next to the shield. If they ignore it, that's one fewer path to worry about.

Whittle
Sep 18, 2011

Kanish posted:

I am actually doing somewhat worse right now with all the new players. I think I got used to how people "should" play the game. So If I am looping around I am not expecting to run into this level 2 recruit that is completely lost and catches me off guard.

I on the other-hand am constantly terrible...

It's good to be consistent :suicide:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

A lot of the time i'll roam and try to trap doors behind them so they can't run back and flank.

Nobody EVER checks doors they have already cleared.

Whittle
Sep 18, 2011

lohli posted:

Attackers:[...]
  • Fuze - His special is a cluster-bomb attack, it is placed on one side of a wall/door and shits a few grenades out the other side. It's a pretty situational ability, since using it on a room that your team-mates have just stormed is a good way to get a few friendly-fire kills, and using it on a room with a hostage in is a good way to bring the round to a quick loss. Despite the caution with which you need to use him, he's still a good choice to unlock early because of how devastating a well used cluster-bomb is.
    For weapons, Fuze has the option of an LMG, a full-auto rifle, and a bullet-proof shield(which is used alongside your side-arm), playing with the shield should give you an idea about whether or not you would like to play Blitz or Montagne who do not have weapon choices that forgo a shield.

Fuze is the quickest way to lose friends on hostage; usually the first chat message you'll get if you pick him is variations on "ffs don't use fuze."

Orv
May 4, 2011
PSA: Rook armor makes your first death a guaranteed down regardless of how much damage you take at once, as long as it's not a headshot. Thus making Doc incredibly useful. This also applies to friendly fire, so if someone has armor and is sitting at 5 HP and you have a Doc, you can bring them back to 75 for a couple seconds work. This is all tested, you can test it yourself if you want.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Whittle posted:

Fuze is the quickest way to lose friends on hostage; usually the first chat message you'll get if you pick him is variations on "ffs don't use fuze."

I've managed to kill the hostage plenty of times without using Fuze :( :(

Blackmjolnir
Mar 30, 2010

Bitchesss

Man Blitz is so fun. Blinding someone then slowly marching towards them while they shoot frantically and back themselves into a corner before whacking them in the face with the shield is amazing.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I'm glad we can talk about this game since uplay does everything possible to keep you from actually playing.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Orv posted:

PSA: Rook armor makes your first death a guaranteed down regardless of how much damage you take at once, as long as it's not a headshot. Thus making Doc incredibly useful. This also applies to friendly fire, so if someone has armor and is sitting at 5 HP and you have a Doc, you can bring them back to 75 for a couple seconds work. This is all tested, you can test it yourself if you want.

The number of times you can shoot someone, but fail to finish the job, is pretty small. Doc is certainly better with Rook as a teammate, but on his own, Doc is garbage. There are better picks in every possible scenario.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Doc is the best guy when doing t hunt at least.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I think Doc can also remotely revive a friendly-downed hostage. That could help if your team has a history of injuring hostages

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Duggler posted:

I think Doc can also remotely revive a friendly-downed hostage. That could help if your team has a history of injuring hostages

Which reminds me of a fun trick that we saw an enemy team put into use, but haven't ourselves; downing the hostage as defenders so the next person who fucks up kills them instead. Hostages operate as though they have Rook armor for everything but headshots and explosives, but it's still a hell of risk for the defending team if something goes even a little wrong.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Gunder posted:

The number of times you can shoot someone, but fail to finish the job, is pretty small. Doc is certainly better with Rook as a teammate, but on his own, Doc is garbage. There are better picks in every possible scenario.

As far as I can tell, someone will be downed — without Rook's plates — if their HP doesn't get to a negative 20. When I play Doc, I carry around a suppressed pistol to shoot at my teammates' feet and get them back up to 75 HP. It works pretty well but I usually ask their current HP as to not risk it.

I disagree with your assessment, though. Most defender abilities are easily countered and none of them are invaluable. If you do well with Doc, go ahead and play Doc.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
As it is I feel like Kapkan's mines need a buff, in terms of their visibility. A complete removal of the visible laser would be fine to me, in large part because it would encourage careful/attentive play, but also because it would make IQ and Twitch more valuable.

At the very least I think it needs to be made less visible than it already is, a very faint laser rather than the existing setup that looks like someone strapped a lightsaber to the door at ankle-height would be good, with them maybe looking as they do now only when someone throws a smoke grenade.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

lohli posted:

As it is I feel like Kapkan's mines need a buff, in terms of their visibility. A complete removal of the visible laser would be fine to me, in large part because it would encourage careful/attentive play, but also because it would make IQ and Twitch more valuable.

At the very least I think it needs to be made less visible than it already is, a very faint laser rather than the existing setup that looks like someone strapped a lightsaber to the door at ankle-height would be good, with them maybe looking as they do now only when someone throws a smoke grenade.

I don't even care about the laser, the main problem is the huge red metal anchoring that sticks out on the other side of the wall like a sore thumb. I am surprised there is no game mechanic that you can impale your foot on it.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Removing either would be fine. Remove the spike and you force people to break down the bottom of barricades to see if it's booby-trapped, which would at least reveal their position. That seems a bit annoying, though.

Remove the laser and you can place it on non-barricaded doors, especially behind enemy advances and such. You'd get a lot of kills from people retreating or sprinting to the objective, without making it too good against attentive players.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

On the Operator Chat, I don't think any of the operators are bad it's just there are better choices.

Tachanka, Doc, IQ and Twitch leave a little to be desired.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Twitch's HK417 might be ~calculated~ as garbage but the headshots flow when I am using it for some reason. Twitch is p decent as long as you are designated Drone Person which is a thing you can do in this game. There are very few situations you can't be Drone Lord.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
My pro tip for Kapkan - put them behind barricades but then knock the barricades down 2 hits in the middle. People are less likely to notice the trap when they just need to 1 hit the barricade then move forward than when they need to stand there and smack it down 3 times

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

On the other hand, a broken barricade implies an enemy is watching from the other side, so they might take their time and see the trap anyway.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They should let tachanka mount his gun on low cover, window sills, and deployable cover. Or go whole hog and let his ability be the fact he gets a loving machine gun instead of an SMG or shotgun.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Letting him sit down and mount it on the floor would be pretty sweet too for making Pulse even more redundant. Shoot people's shins off, Cotton Hill style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Was playing this a few days ago and joined a team with a european kid hurling abuse at the team over the mic.

Then everyone on the team enabled their mics and told him to be quiet. So the kid continued.

We then proceeded to TK him then take the piss out of him and say he was always the first to die and told him how bad he was, the kid got angry and annoyed at us but due to his reaction everyone started to do it.

The kid got proceedingly more angry and told us he was going to get his mum so I asked him how old his mother was and where he was from. He said she was 30 years old and he was Swedish.

So then everyone proceeded to tell him to get his mum on because she sounded hot. The kid flipped out and began to cry on the mic.

It was funny as gently caress our team lost several matches but gently caress me I was in tears.

That being said I have actually had some decent "teamwork" style experiences on the casual matches on PS4, it really adds to the game when you are actually working with someone

• Locked thread