Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Wrex and Tali

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Ok, I scientifically counted votes (by writing them down). We'll take Wrex and Garrus along first.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Enjoying this LP so far! Cracked up during this scene when the shadows gave your character a familiar mustache:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Switch Saren and Shepard and it'd be more fitting.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AllisonByProxy posted:

Enjoying this LP so far! Cracked up during this scene when the shadows gave your character a familiar mustache:

Yeah the PS3 version always does that for some reason :hitler:

It was Christmas and then I got shitfaced last night, but I will do an update today as soon as I stop feeling like I'm going to die/puke.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

AllisonByProxy posted:

shadows and lighting for this engine just did not agree with the PS3, we are going to see that shadowing a few more times at least.

Also I learned yesterday that you can not recruit Garrus, similar to not going to Artemis Tau to rescue Liara. Anyone done that before?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

shadows and lighting for this engine just did not agree with the PS3, we are going to see that shadowing a few more times at least.

Also I learned yesterday that you can not recruit Garrus, similar to not going to Artemis Tau to rescue Liara. Anyone done that before?

Why would anyone?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The only person I wish I could not recruit out of the 3 games is Jacob

Which is why he was force recruited.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Aces High posted:

Trivia: if you don't recruit Garrus and do Virmire before you get Liara, Wrex will always stand down. Otherwise you'd need to do the last section with Tali only.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Everyone loves Wrex.
I don't. He's the comedy violence character Bioware keeps repeating - and watering down - since Korgan.

edit: drat, late. The point still stands.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

MA-Horus posted:

Considering ME2 had like 12 goddamn squadmates imho it's totally fine that one of them was a pure straight edge, simple and true. While I think Jacob and Miranda are fine as is, if bioware swapped up their genders I think their romances would've been more broadly appealing. Ms. Taylor being an exceptionally mellow lady who likes exercise, guns, beers and getting loud on the citadel would've been alright. Mr. Lawson having a creepy mom whose idea of a perfect son was a cross between Fabio and a Chippendale's dancer might've sold people on the inversion alone (especially if the camera still gravitated toward Mr. Lawson's manbutt and/or trouser bulge the way it did to Miranda's T&A).

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
the best part about me2 is jacob and miranda dying.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
SHEPARD I'M OVER HERE :byodood:

The worst part about Jacob is that he's completely worthless on his own loyalty mission because you fight a ton of robots which fire/pull does nothing on for any difficulty setting other than babby.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

anilEhilated posted:

I don't. He's the comedy violence character Bioware keeps repeating - and watering down - since Korgan.

True although I found him to have different-seemingly flavor of it.

I enjoyed his matter-of-factness more than the comedy-violence stuff though.

'Wrex. Shepard. Wrex. Shepard. Potato. Tomato.'

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm actually glad most of the Reaper Forces and the Geth don't talk in combat because hearing "ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!" "HOLD THE LINE"" and " GO GO GO!" a million times in ME1 drove me crazy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm actually glad most of the Reaper Forces and the Geth don't talk in combat because hearing "ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!" "HOLD THE LINE"" and " GO GO GO!" a million times in ME1 drove me crazy.

most of ME1 is repetitive things that slowly drive you insane. It's not an intentional metaphor for indoctrination, but omnigelling your entire inventory every 15 minutes, those voice clips, LOADING SCREENS .....

hmm

maybe it's more intentional than I thought

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MA-Horus posted:

He's kind of straight laced and boring, but his loyalty quest is one of the darker moments of the entire trilogy.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kurieg posted:

He's kind of straight laced and boring, but his loyalty quest is one of the darker moments of the entire trilogy.

Yeah for that reason he also happens to have one of the sharper tracks on the OST since it's meant to go along with that mission.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Kurieg posted:

It's dark, but still not very interesting. Just, "here are some people that handled a difficult situation very poorly". No real ambiguity or grey areas.

Though I suppose those things are few and far between in this series.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

mauman posted:

Wrex and whoever is most appropriate at the time for story purposes, for the rest of the game

If you're doing the whole series, you have to get your allotted Wrex time in. Everybody else will get their fair share (well, almost everybody :downs:)

Also, agreed on picking up Liara first, if only for the story implications. Someone can post a link to the bonus speech after she's recruited.

I agree with everything in this post. Wrex is the best companion in the entire series.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I like all of the straight laced simple characters in games like this. I have a universe to save, I'm not here to play nanny. At least if I give Kaiden or Ashley or Jacob a gun I know they'll stop blubbering long enough to give me fire support. Why the gently caress would I want to take a naive, civilian, inbred blue-space-hooker equivalent of a twelve year old with me into combat over an actual soldier? Stay on the ship and science you blue harlot!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Counterpoint: She owns from Shadow Broker on.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Pvt.Scott posted:

I like all of the straight laced simple characters in games like this. I have a universe to save, I'm not here to play nanny. At least if I give Kaiden or Ashley or Jacob a gun I know they'll stop blubbering long enough to give me fire support. Why the gently caress would I want to take a naive, civilian, inbred blue-space-hooker equivalent of a twelve year old with me into combat over an actual soldier? Stay on the ship and science you blue harlot!

She's powerful in combat though, Biotic Adepts break the game completely.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'll never quite forgive the later games for nerfing adepts, but that's just one more thing to throw onto the pile.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

whowhatwhere posted:

I'll never quite forgive the later games for nerfing adepts, but that's just one more thing to throw onto the pile.

They seem to be fine in ME3, but I remember doing an Insanity run as an Adept in ME2 and it was painful, spamming Warp (and Overload/Shield Drain from whoever had that skill) with potshots. Just doing Kasumi's loyalty mission to get the nice SMG took forever.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ME3 is pretty good to adepts with lash and flare. I just really wish they allowed Slam to pierce protection since as it is it's just a flashy way to kill someone who was going to die anyway.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ME3 is nice to biotics and techies alike because you can blow poo poo up with combos. What really sucked was Tech Armour got nerfed to poo poo so you couldn't stand out in front of an Atlas and be all "hahaha your rockets do NOTHING"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

No, that is now a realm populated only by multiplayer Krogan :getin:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
ME3 multiplayer is the worst simply because it was forced on you if you wanted to get the most full endings

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Adepts may have been super powerful in ME1 (though I think soldiers and infiltrators were the most powerful, solely due to the insanity of the Immunity skill), but they were also super boring. Then again, I guess mostly everything was. The gameplay of Mass Effect 1 has not aged well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

ME3 multiplayer is the worst simply because it was forced on you if you wanted to get the most full endings

Was the worst. That's not necessary now.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aces High posted:

ME3 is nice to biotics and techies alike because you can blow poo poo up with combos. What really sucked was Tech Armour got nerfed to poo poo so you couldn't stand out in front of an Atlas and be all "hahaha your rockets do NOTHING"

ME3 was really nice to biotics and techies because they could pick a gun with infinite ammo, mod it up while taking nothing else and still be a firepower beast with the lowest ability cooldowns.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lancer + Biotics = Broken game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I know it's too late but Wrex and Tali is the best team.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm uploading the current video and youtube is telling me it will take 2 hours. WTF :mad: I ain't staying up for 2 hours so I'll make the new post in the morning.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

I would argue Multiplayer was the best part of the trainwreck that was ME3.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chesnok posted:

I would argue Multiplayer was the best part of the trainwreck that was ME3.

ME3's MP is like the first multiplayer shooter I really got into.

Especially when I rolled a Battlemaster in the first pack I opened when they came out. Fly around punching people and headbutting giant robots to death and occasionally remember your shotgun's good for more than having a bayonet on it? Hell yes.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Mako love out of nothing at all

We're officially a Spectre now and they give us the Normandy because it's important to look good. I had intended to head off to Noveria and cheat us some P/R score, but it turns out we don't actually have enough points in either tree to really do that yet. Oops. So instead we go to find Liara.

People either love or hate the Mako it seems. You can drive up nearly vertical surfaces if you know what you're doing, but it handles terribly and in order to keep random idiots from ending up stuck it has this weird styrofoam-like quality to it in collision and will always right itself. I like to think that everytime Shepard comes back from a Mako session her crewmates are covered in vomit and it has to be cleaned out with a firehose.

I also show off a bit of a bug here. For whatever reason if you aren't on foot the game doesn't really recognize you're there and so the enemies just stand around and get murdered. If you stop, get out, and walk up to trigger the cutscene it works fine. To get the Mako in there on console you have to drive through at almost a 90 degree angle. Sometimes I can hit that right away and sometimes I can't (this was one of those times, I cut out about 5 minutes of flailing around like an rear end in a top hat). I have also managed to get myself completely stuck in there, so I've found it best to make a save right before the gap. I've also shot myself off the rocks into the lava :v:

Once we pick Liara up I'll actually go do some sidequests off-screen to gain some points and then cheat us proper. I can finish Noveria at that point if folks want, or we can go to Feros.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The best thing about me3 was letting any class use any weapon. Shotguns on the invisible class was amazingly fun.

anilEhilated posted:

The comedy comes less from the violence and more from the simplicity though. He's cutting the gordian knot made into a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
I never played any of the ME games on consoles, but who the hell thought Select was a good choice for the grenade button?

• Locked thread