Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

Nissan LMP1 is dead and everyone fired. Another "remember that stupid poo poo?" moment for the history books.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/124746-wec-nissan-quits-lmp1

Hey remember when they pulled out of the race after LeMans and we all said "They're going to kill it" and the internet said "Noooo! They're totally committed!"

And then they pulled out of all the other races and we all said "They're going to kill it" and the internet said "Noooo! They're totally committed!"

Good times.

You Am I posted:

In Australia they will be remembered for the R32 Skyline GTR tearing every other touring car a new one in the early 90s.

I watched an episode of the Legends of Motorsport series on their Bathurst debut. It didn't win but dear god did it have the speed. Looked a decade ahead of the Sierras and Commodores it was sharing the track with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

You Am I posted:

In Australia they will be remembered for the R32 Skyline GTR tearing every other touring car a new one in the early 90s.

Well when you get into regular tintops Nissan is just fine. It's the prototypes they suck at, they only ever had success in that class with IMSA.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
I'll always remember them for the time I nearly tripped over the front splitter of the demo car.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

You Am I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9IBSJPadf8&t=730s

Aussies really loved Nissan lol

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Well when you get into regular tintops Nissan is just fine. It's the prototypes they suck at, they only ever had success in that class with IMSA.

The Lola-Nissans were good cars, IMO.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Human Grand Prix posted:

The Lola-Nissans were good cars, IMO.

Well there current lmp2 engine is kicking rear end in whatever prototype. Seems this is a bigger sweeping thing by Nissan since Doran is now out to lunch with his team losing Nissan support, top guy for motorsports booted. Seems like they are clearing house and reevaluating poo poo. Think they saw the bill and said nope gently caress this.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BMB5150 posted:

Well there current lmp2 engine is kicking rear end in whatever prototype. Seems this is a bigger sweeping thing by Nissan since Doran is now out to lunch with his team losing Nissan support, top guy for motorsports booted. Seems like they are clearing house and reevaluating poo poo. Think they saw the bill and said nope gently caress this.

Yeah I'm reading a lot of comments stating Nissan should stay out of sports car racing because they are out to lunch, seemingly ignoring that they are pretty successful LMP2.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

I'm not sure how much we can tie the IMSA and WEC cancellations together - we know that Honda USA and Honda mothership in Japan are two different things, Nissan may be the same way. Nissan USA may have wanted to cancel and align their interests, while the NISMO/WEC situation is likely due to a falling out.

It's really sad because I buy what Cox and NISMO were selling early in the year - and still contend it was a hard situation for them because they were doing all their hard work testing in front of us all. It's admirable, and really sad that they didn't stick with it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The only way that concept made sense was if the mechanical ERS system worked, which it didn't. So y'all can save the "gee this concept got killed too early" for some other lunacy like rotary engines.

Seriously now, Bowlby is 0-3 and no amount of fedora-wearing iconoclasm is going to make the ZEOD RC or GT-R LM any less of a failure.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drgitlin posted:

. So y'all can save the "gee this concept got killed too early" for some other lunacy like rotary engines.

salty about racecars on xmas smh

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cygni posted:

salty about racecars on xmas smh

No, I'm just bored of people deciding that an idea has to be good just because it's different. Some tags are objectively bad ideas, and a FWD race car competing against RWD race cars is one of those (and I should know, having raced a FWD car that breaks down a lot for the last few years).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drgitlin posted:

No, I'm just bored of people deciding that an idea has to be good just because it's different. Some tags are objectively bad ideas, and a FWD race car competing against RWD race cars is one of those (and I should know, having raced a FWD car that breaks down a lot for the last few years).

Eh, you can have your opinion. I've heard a lot of people have the opposite opinion, including my pops who decided to spend 20 minutes of our xmas skype talking about it.

And then another 45min complaining about the Daytona 24 camping prices, and then announcing he was going to go to the Barber IndyCar race instead cause its barely ~$100 cheaper. Old man yells at car shaped cloud.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

God drat, Ganassi really DID ragequit P in IMSA, didn't they? Two Ford GTs in GTLM with completely new drivers and Pruett's going to GTD via Action Express for one last Prototype hurrah in the 24.

...I'm just now picking up on this and didn't think to look until today.

Also, only three former Rolex DP teams appear to be left: Action Express (which was Brumos), Spirit of Daytona (which I remember for several years being a backmarker until they really put it together and became competitive) and Wayne Taylor Racing. Shank switched body styles, but they were a DP team, too.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Less ragequit, more "hi, we're Ford, here's a bajillion dollars, go win Le Mans".

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Less ragequit, more "hi, we're Ford, here's a bajillion dollars, go win Le Mans".

Yup. Though something happened with them and Pruett seems like - he moved away so he could have a chance at another Daytona 24 overall win, yet Ganassi are rolling one DP out to try too. Hmm.

GTLM is gonna be nuts this next year and I cannot wait.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

harperdc posted:

Yup. Though something happened with them and Pruett seems like - he moved away so he could have a chance at another Daytona 24 overall win, yet Ganassi are rolling one DP out to try too. Hmm.

GTLM is gonna be nuts this next year and I cannot wait.

Considering Ganassi is not going to have total focus on prototypes and he will be driving for the championship winning team, Pruett probably sees this as a bit of a plus.

Oh and Pruett is with Sage loving Karam in the Lexus GTD car. Believe it or not, Sage isn't the am driver of the 2.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
You automatically go down a grade in the FIA's stupid rating system when you turn 55 (and again at 65).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Karam might do OK in a sports car.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ganassi will, in fact, run two DPs in the 24:

#01 (Team Who The gently caress?)- Lance Stroll, Alex Wurz, Andy Priaulx, Brendon Hartley
#02 (Team Actual Drivers)- Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan, Kyle Larson, Jamie McMurray

I know Priaulx runs BTCC. Know Hartley's name but I can't remember where from.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CBJSprague24 posted:

#01 (Team Who The gently caress?)- Lance Stroll, Alex Wurz, Andy Priaulx, Brendon Hartley
#02 (Team Actual Drivers)- Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan, Kyle Larson, Jamie McMurray

Hartley was on the Porsche team that won the WEC, Stroll is a Canadian Formula 3 driver and Werz has apparently won Le Mans twice was an F1 test driver for a long time. Along with Prilaux that's gonna be interesting.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

njsykora posted:

Werz has apparently won Le Mans twice was an F1 test driver for a long time.

He was also an F1 driver for Benetton for years. And a Peugeot and Toyota works driver in P1. He's def the most accomplished guy in that car, and hes been around forever.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Stroll is the son of some Canadian clothing magnate so I would put my money on him paying to be there.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah Stroll was decent in F3, but got into quite a few crashes. But then so did everyone else in F3.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I love that the team with 2 World Champions in is team "who the gently caress" and the team with 2 Nascar backmarkers in is the Actual Drivers one.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dudley posted:

I love that the team with 2 World Champions in is team "who the gently caress" and the team with 2 Nascar backmarkers in is the Actual Drivers one.

Do they call Lemans winners 'world champions'? Kinda seems like a stretch. Also the Ganassi star car generally runs really really well, but thats partly because Dixon is a loving madman. Seriously might be one of the best all around drivers in the last decade.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

World endurance champion from winning the WEC this year I think. Certainly as a whole "team who the gently caress" is probably the stronger team.

E: or he meant 2 world champions as Hartley as WEC champion and Priaulx as WTCC champion.

gret fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 29, 2015

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That 2nd thing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oh, gotcha. To be fair, WTCC is roughly below a shopping cart race in a grocery store parking lot as far as relevance to most people. Priaulx was winning the championship when it was better, and hes a really good driver, but I don't think the series is much of a household name to like anyone on earth.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I'd call that the holy gently caress lineup (sans Stroll). I'd have to say that car and lineup is thanks to Stroll. Kind of now surprising Pruett left unless it was a last minute deal and that AXR ride is too much to resist.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah Priaulx is pretty much a touring car god. Was kind of surprised he struggled so much in DTM, although that's more of an open wheel formula car with a roof and fenders rather than a touring car.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CBJSprague24 posted:

I guess this is post of the year for this thread for utter clueless-ness?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Not a year for nurburgring

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/12/30/teams-race-organisers-revolt-against-dmsb-on-nordschleife-regulation.html

Teams are pissed off that the rules governing body are not listening to the drivers and teams, backed by the the 2 biggest race clubs in Germany and teams racking up to a 100 cars, and they won't race until they get a say in things.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

read and learn about Alex Wurz, you swaggerless cretin.

also hot money is on Priaulx (who was formerly a BMW factory driver and I think jumped into an endurance spot with the Rahal team at Daytona/Sebring last year) being involved with the Ford GT team for the WEC squad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BMB5150 posted:

Not a year for nurburgring

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/12/30/teams-race-organisers-revolt-against-dmsb-on-nordschleife-regulation.html

Teams are pissed off that the rules governing body are not listening to the drivers and teams, backed by the the 2 biggest race clubs in Germany and teams racking up to a 100 cars, and they won't race until they get a say in things.

The Nordschleife permit makes sense, a track that size you want to be sure people racing on it actually know the place though it looks like they've massively botched the implementation. That they still haven't been able to figure out how to safely manage crashes there though is just baffling. Everything just seems to be collapsing for that track, no F1 last year and now this, I really can't see it surviving much longer.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Forgive me if I laugh at a place famous for taking a few bucks from idiots and billing them for guardrail after a near fatal crash that is now bitching about race driver experience.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Even their 24hr is basically a track day for rich dudes.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

VikingSkull posted:

Forgive me if I laugh at a place famous for taking a few bucks from idiots and billing them for guardrail after a near fatal crash that is now bitching about race driver experience.

The DMSB, the Russian who owns operating rights, and the German government are all different even though you've managed to confuse them all in your post.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm the guy taking poo poo literal instead of just saying "lol the 'Ring is a deathtrap"

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm guessing this is all a reaction to the idiot who got himself killed by standing in a loving stupid place and got whacked by an entirely blameless professional driver who would qualify under these regulations anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

You Am I posted:

I guess this is post of the year for this thread for utter clueless-ness?

Admittedly, it is, and it all rides on racing exposure. The majority of racing I watch is North American. I only briefly watched F1 with regularity 13 years ago before I got tired of one driver winning every race, don't watch/have never seen WEC/WTCC/DTM/F3, and the only BTCC exposure I get comes in the form of condensed, one-hour highlight shows 10 days tape-delayed.

On face value alone, I'm much more familiar with the car with the Indy 500 and Daytona 500 wins, IndyCar titles, and highly-touted NASCAR prospect on board. Reading about Wurz and knowing a bit about Priaulx (made a brief stop in BTCC the first time around before going on to bigger and better and then winding up in BTCC with BMW again), combined with Hartley's experience in the car, makes it much more intriguing.

e- I knew I knew Hartley- he ran a DP for Starworks in Rolex, and seeing his results made him familiar.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 1, 2016

• Locked thread