Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Doc Morbid posted:

I got "Consummate Crossdresser" on the PS4 version. :getin:

That and getting the Barret date are the only funny ones really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Reik posted:

But then I have to buy a PS Vita

Or a cheapo PSTV, if it's actually compatible.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

Both comparisons are made alot. It is easier to say people are trolling because they have different opinions.

The Mist

I have never heard anyone make that comparison other than you, because it's retarded to go "well this one thing is similar between the two, thus it's a copy"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yeah, I don't see how the comparisons for FF9/DBZ and FF12/Star Wars really work out.

Now FF5/Seinfeld, on the other hand...

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, I don't see how the comparisons for FF9/DBZ and FF12/Star Wars really work out.

What's the deal with Airship food?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mega64 posted:

Wow never noticed that seinfield link on the Final fantasy wikia before, its pretty well hidden.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Battles had a nasty habbit of having some horrendous command to action lag exhasibated by the 20(ish) fps.
I guess I never noticed. The last time I played it on an actual console I was like 12.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Well obviously Balthier is Han Solo which makes Fran Chewbacca, Ashe is Luke, Vaan and Penelo are C-3PO and R2-D2 (doesn't really matter who's who), which then means Basch is Leia through the process of elimination I guess. Balthier being Han Solo also makes Reddas Lando. Easy!

Sadly I don't know who's the ice cream maker guy.

e: wait poo poo they even rescue Basch from prison he's totally Leia

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

These crystals are making me thirsty!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Faris: "I was in the pool!"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The franchise you actually want to play is Tactics Ogre.

This a million times. The PSX version lacks some of the complexities/balances/nerfs of the PSP version but they're good games. The biggest downside to the PSX version is death-by-default (since revive magic is rare and later in the game) and the AI is suicidal severe degrees more than anything you see in FFT. There's several TO fights where if the AI acts a certain way (or doesn't do a specific thing) you basically can't save the NPC unless you're powerleveled and/or tweaked to hell and back, and even then it's a toss-up. The worst being a character who gives you your first Dragon Magic but if he doesn't move towards you on his turn he's going to die (usually to the counter attack of whatever enemy he punches).

No idea how the AI is in the PSP version but the PSP version has class leveling and other stuff. The crafting in the PSP version just begs for a mod that completely streamlines it because it's the most boring-as-gently caress tedious looking mechanic imaginable.

Knight of Lodis for the GBA is also good. Not as good as LUCT but still far better than FFTA 1&2 were.

The Ogre Battle series also gets bonus points because the series' name well as MOTBQ and LUCT are all songs by Queen. Matsuno had good taste in music.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh man, FFIX without godawful slo-o-ooo-oooow combat will be great. Time to slam through Amarant's completely pointless dialog again and watch some rat-people dance so badly they destroy their only form of protection from invasion.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Speaking of, was Amaranth ever supposed to be a character at some point in development? It feels like we got the half warmed leftovers of a scrapped idea with him.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

FactsAreUseless posted:

9 is the best game in the series, and it's very strange to me that everyone doesn't realize this.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finally, I can play FF9 on the iPod.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I love Amarant

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FactsAreUseless posted:

9 is the best game in the series, and it's very strange to me that everyone doesn't realize this.

Dear SE please let this port not be a garbage fire, thank you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There is a new secret true ending which is just an unwinnable boss-fight against The Creator from After Years.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They haven't completely remade the sprites or designed a menu interface in Flash, so it has to be better than their phone ports of 5, 6, and Chrono Trigger.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

There is a new secret true ending which is just an unwinnable boss-fight against The Creator from After Years.

That's fine, who cares about that optional poo poo as long as the game runs at more than 10-15 fps like those awful porst of FFIV and TAY on steam.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That's fine, who cares about that optional poo poo as long as the game runs at more than 10-15 fps like those awful porst of FFIV and TAY on steam.

Point taken, but I'm sure SE can find a new and imaginative way to gently caress it all up. Maybe they could hire the guy who did the FF3 remake to spruce up the difficulty a little. You know, maybe make it that once you master a move but no longer have the item that teaches it equipped the skill degrades with each use until you lose access to it and must re-learn it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Barudak posted:

I was literally going to make my usual After Years reference before I saw this post. drat it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

fronz posted:

I love Amarant

He was awesome in the FFIX difficulty mod I played. Thanks to him and a Wing Edge I barely managed to beat Necron after several failures.

Good theme music, too. Not quite on par with the best themes in FFIX but that's a pretty high bar so it's no shame not to reach it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Apparently the secret boss Hades was originally meant to be the final boss of Final Fantasy IX, not Necron. Always wondered what was up with that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Reik posted:

What's the deal with Airship food?

I myself would never crossdress. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Holy poo poo, if they add the speed boost and random encounter toggle from the FF7 port then this will pretty much be the greatest game of all time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kainser posted:

Holy poo poo, if they add the speed boost and random encounter toggle from the FF7 port then this will pretty much be the greatest game of all time.

I don't know about no random encounters but there is a speed boost toggle in this version.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kainser posted:

it already is, friend

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
There was a lot of negativity about FFIX from fans throughout development and after it was released. For a series that reinvented itself with each release (that we got in the US, anyway!) it was disappointing to see a game that was content to eat its own tail with constant self-reference and very comfortable characters, settings, and themes. Also, since FFX was already in development, we could see what was on the horizon and it looked fresh and amazing.

It's pretty funny in hindsight since Final Fantasy is now almost nothing but self-reference and reliving the glory days and modern IP management in general is careful to stay very safe and familiar.

Basically, I understand why modern Final Fantasy fans like IX so much, especially since it's basically a SNES-style game for an audience that was very young when they came out. I'll always remember it as the shark-jumping moment for Square as a company and Sakaguchi in specific, moreso than The Spirits Within.

Also the skill system is trash and the secondary cast is anemic. It wouldn't be great if it were the first Final Fantasy, let alone the ninth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The first final fantasy is clearly somebody's 1st edition DnD campaign presented to you, complete with not understanding how monster abilities can really gently caress up difficulty curves for different areas so FFIX at barest minimum has that over the first final fantasy.

I'm not a big fan of IX either, even at the time it came out I found it really dull and its callbacks are so middling that even with knowledge of what its calling back to it doesn't do anything for me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I started with VII like a lot of people but even still I thought IX was better. Back before the Compilation kinda gave FFVII a bad name, it was a holy cow everywhere I went while IX was just "that game." If anybody talked about it, it was about how unremarkable it was. There was also endless accusations of being childish or immature after how deep and meaningful the other PS games were. This was early 2000s - we were all dumb babbies.

Of course nowadays, FFIX is beloved by drat near everyone. It's honestly fascinating to watch the times change. Just like how FFV once upon a time was "that unimportant game sandwiched between two masterpieces" while nowadays people won't stop raving about it.

It's why I can't wait until FFXV or maybe even XVI comes out. Then we'll see the people yearning for the glory days of FFXIII and wondering why Square can't make them like they used to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If there was an FFXIII re-release which removed the cutscene for switching paradigms and rejiggered the equipment system/hunt content slightly I'd be all over it. Hell, they don't even have to fix the bizzare random deletion of your existing paradigms during certain chapter/party transitions.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Francis posted:

a series that reinvented itself with each release (that we got in the US, anyway!)

Not really? Even from the western perspective, 2 (4), 3 (6), 7, 8, and 9 all have the same basic gameplay with upgrades and different character building systems.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Started with FF1 on NES. Hope FF15 can bring back the glory. Sucks you can now longer fly the airship even if there is one.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Motto posted:

Not really? Even from the western perspective, 2 (4), 3 (6), 7, 8, and 9 all have the same basic gameplay with upgrades and different character building systems.

Yeah but isn't a character building system the heart and soul of an RPG? Besides, with the different systems, you naturally get different battle strategies. It's like how nobody uses magic in FFVIII because it's a waste of time but magic is really good in...um...

I don't really know, actually. Which FF had the best magic?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Started with FF1 on NES. Hope FF15 can bring back the glory. Sucks you can now longer fly the airship even if there is one.

I don't know if I just have insanely low standards but I've enjoyed every mainline Final Fantasy except for III (and I haven't played 1/2/11)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Barudak posted:

Does said boss fight have you play as the really really bullshit version of Beatrix?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah but isn't a character building system the heart and soul of an RPG? Besides, with the different systems, you naturally get different battle strategies. It's like how nobody uses magic in FFVIII because it's a waste of time but magic is really good in...um...

I don't really know, actually. Which FF had the best magic?

Do buffs/debuffs count? Cause they are real, real good and constantly useable in FFXIII and FFI. Does healing magic? Its good in like all of them but FFT.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's this

I never post in this thread but I'm wondering if anyone remembers something minor thing; I once had a gaming magazine before FF9 came out and I swear I saw a screenshot or two where the party members followed Zidane or whoever was leading it. Does anyone remember this in any context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

Do buffs/debuffs count? Cause they are real, real good and constantly useable in FFXIII and FFI. Does healing magic? Its good in like all of them but FFT.

I was only thinking of offensive spells but you make a good point, restorative and support spells tend to be pretty good and useful in most FFs.