Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Khanstant posted:

Considering that No Man's sky, a game exclusively about simulated worlds/landscapes for exploration, can't even make that seem interesting or worthwhile, there's no way this game will.

Also, what am I missing about Wing Commander? It looks like an old lovely space game where 75% of the screen is retarded pointless cockpit view. Is Chris Roberts Ullillillia's secret older brother and he is just trying to make Star Citizen match up to his "mind game" where you imagines himself as a camera stuck where someone's head might be inside of some dorky imaginary cockpit?

How old are you? It's understandable if you look back at it with today's viewpoint, but coming from having played on C64 or NES (SNES was released in 1991 in US and 1992 in Europe) - Seeing that WC released in 1990 you might want to check out the competition at that time, there was a lot of historical and "modern" flight sims with telephone book thick manuals, that were ultimately shallow experiences, because all they did was providing you a set of single missions without consequences or an overarching narrative, that made you care in any way (i.e. Battlehawks, Their Finest Hour, Secret Weapons) and only two years later you got the dynamic campaign theatre from Falcon 3.0 in 1992 - in 1990 everything else looked like rear end or was just primitive gameplay when you stripped away the graphics (Cinemaware looking at you). The next interesting space sim that progressed the genre, X-Wing came three years later in 1993, the year when also Doom appeared and doomed the gaming industry into eternal FPS clones. Westwood Studios wasn't even a powerhouse yet and created Eye of the Beholder one year later in 1991, Command & Conquer which then succeeded in spawning the RTS hype, came five years later in 1995.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Tie fighter wad the best 90s space shooty game. That poo poo owned

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

There was also the matter of (relative) mass appeal.

There were other games that had dynamic campaigns, but they tended to be obscure and far too complicated for most gamers. F-16 Combat Pilot came out in 1988 and had some pretty swanky graphics for its time, and what (and how) you did mattered a lot for the overall outcome of a campaign. Even in the sim genre, though. it was overshadowed by Falcon AT and completely out of the picture when Falcon 3.0 caught up on the campaign side three years later. So what it did — and how early it did it — is a bit lost in the noise of the era.

It really was that marrying of having some meaning to your actions (which mainly existed in sims), with a simple gameplay (that the sims definitely did not offer), and the cinematic storytelling of the Cinemaware and early Lucasart games that made the WCs such a catchy experience.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Well Star Citizen has given us some of the best gifs ever

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tippis posted:

There were other games that had dynamic campaigns, but they tended to be obscure and far too complicated for most gamers. F-16 Combat Pilot came out in 1988 and had some pretty swanky graphics for its time, and what (and how) you did mattered a lot for the overall outcome of a campaign. Even in the sim genre, though. it was overshadowed by Falcon AT and completely out of the picture when Falcon 3.0 caught up on the campaign side three years later. So what it did — and how early it did it — is a bit lost in the noise of the era.

It really was that marrying of having some meaning to your actions (which mainly existed in sims), with a simple gameplay (that the sims definitely did not offer), and the cinematic storytelling of the Cinemaware and early Lucasart games that made the WCs such a catchy experience.

I just remembered Red Baron and sure enough it's 1990 with a dynamic campaign and career mode. It was a sim too but there was no clicking a million buttons to program your radar poo poo. Just energy management and shoot mans. Wikipedia says it had multiplayer too. Now that's a game that was ahead of it's time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Baron_%281990_video_game%29

I wish someone would make another cool WWI flightsim. Biplanes are much cooler than monoplanes and modern aircraft just suck for pick up and play fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Smorgasbord posted:

My brother is sucked deep into this ponzi scheme of a 'game', last I heard it was dead in the water but he insists that was just some malcontents stirring up trouble and everything is on track and he's making megabux selling jpgs of spaceships.... He's going to end up a homeless shell of a man clutching pictures of fake spaceships, right?

Ask him when the game is supposed to be out.

Toops posted:

Dude ima be honest... I like Disco Lando. He's infinity less of an awkward cringe-cultist than Ben. He trolled CR in a Santa outfit during the holiday failstream, and that massive RtV eyeroll at the wulge, followed by "Dude, it's not all about buying ships..." was A+ in my book.

Yeah he's a part of a giant money laundering scheme but he just seems like he doesn't give much of a gently caress, and is just happy to have a job in gaming. I bet money he's alright to hang out with.

Ben would be a horrorshow to roll with. I mean, aside from enduring hours of frothing adulation about a poo poo FMV game from behind a spit-shield, you would literally have to roll him to the bathroom and wipe his rear end for him.

Sandi would be uttterly insufferable. She'd just sit there texting Gillian "hey is your cellphone off? Haven't heard from you since the shoot, miss you! lol" and reply to any/all conversational efforts with "HUH?" and a laser bitch-glare that could melt glass.

But you gotta admit: Chris would be a loving blast. You'd just get completely geeked on Kinison levels of coke, drop old-school 70's blotter acid, and everything he said would make perfect loving sense, culminating in the beatific vision that we are all perfect manifestations of love on an endless wave of infinite possibilities right before your heart exploded.

I'm trying to like him, but every time he encounters any kind of controversy or issue he falls back on his position and assumes that asserting his authority is sufficient to address the problem. He's certainly not an advocate for the community. Neither is Ben. His primary job is to shut down criticism and keep funds flowing, and if the community devolves into a toxic hellscape where critical feedback is drowned out in a sea of white knighting then so be it. I'm sure he's a perfectly decent human being in person and likely a lot of fun (he plays the X-Wing miniatures game, which is cool), but he's a terrible community manager. Frankly the only person on the community staff that I thought was a professional was James, but he was both powerless and not a cultist.

The best person to hang out with is Erin. He's this quiet, reserved dude who just wants to loving make games. Back in the day Bootcha hooked a few of us Goons up and we got to drink with Eric Peterson (the guy who did Wingman, sadly no longer with the company), and he brings Erin along. Best half an hour in my life. Erin's actually the reason I was so excited and enthusiastic about this project from the beginning. I assumed Chris would be the visionary and run around spouting bullshit while Erin actually produced a loving game. Instead it seems like even his brother can't hold up to Chris's scope creep.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Tippis posted:

Aye, I also liked that I did not get much forewarning about it. It's release just hit me out of the nowhere. People tend to overlook that most didn't have online access back then, there was no online journalism to speak about, there was not the same scale of detailed discussion ad absurdum like in today's times, where there are thousands of forums dedicated to outlet opinion. Your information mainly came from print media that still published readers opinions in their reader's notes/letters sections - I didn't have a subscription and the magazines back then released on a monthly basis, it was easy to miss information: Also Summer and Winter CES (E3 only was formed in 1995) reports weren't that detailed as they are nowadays - the selection of screenshots was pretty limited and they tended to be tiny as printing was still expensive. Most CES reports simply were a listing of studio names and a short description of their projects that they presented with some impressions, interviews etc, some of the more important projects got one page reports - I didn't know about Wing Commander until it was tested and had already hit the shelves. It was the closest experience to playing something akin to Star Wars that you could have. You could maybe compare the circumstances of its release a bit to Half Life 2.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Squadron 42: The Movie

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Berious posted:

I just remembered Red Baron and sure enough it's 1990 with a dynamic campaign and career mode. It was a sim too but there was no clicking a million buttons to program your radar poo poo. Just energy management and shoot mans. Wikipedia says it had multiplayer too. Now that's a game that was ahead of it's time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Baron_%281990_video_game%29

I wish someone would make another cool WWI flightsim. Biplanes are much cooler than monoplanes and modern aircraft just suck for pick up and play fun.

I loved Dynamix as a company - it's a shame what happened to Sierra On-Line in the end. Mechwarrior https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3NtRiInFaU, Deathtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qFvJMCz3M, Die Hard (look at this beauty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3dN9voPq0, Rise of the Dragon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKpkkQH6ZT4, Heart of China https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY-PXqOXE4k and their Front Page Sports stuff. I still believe WW1 would make for some impressive simulation scenery with all those trench battles.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

EminusSleepus posted:

I'm fairly sure we've seen more footage of those pajama suits than we've seen gameplay footage from CIG. Every stream Chris brings that poo poo out even when cultists keep pestering him about some nerd game he clearly doesn't give a gently caress about.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Berious posted:

I'm fairly sure we've seen more footage of those pajama suits than we've seen gameplay footage from CIG. Every stream Chris brings that poo poo out even when cultists keep pestering him about some nerd game he clearly doesn't give a gently caress about.

What is wrong with 2 and 4's faces? :magical:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Blazing Ownager posted:

Given that supporting VR isn't all that hard makes this statement utterly ridiculous, unless you mean it in a "there will be no game, so of course it won't have VR."

Seriously the headset devs are making it so any idiot coder that is capable of drooling on the keyboard can hack it in, it just might suck. Hell most engines are just having built-in support at this point.

Sorry, that's pure and utter nonsense. The End.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Haskell9 posted:

Congratulations on your tremendous accomplishment.

He's like in his 40's or 50's now though so he's tremendously tougher than he was as a young man I retract my sarcasm

....and has over 25 years of martial arts training (which, unless you're in my Facebook page, you probably wouldn't know). So there is that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

All of it is, if you count Dust 514 as part of eve.

e. I suppose "planet landing" isn't, but who gives a poo poo? SC won't have four digit player battles or staff who can make fun of themselves/their game.

heh yeah. I keep having Twitter arguments about "40 clients in ArcCorp". This despite the fact that - at no point in time - has there ever been more than 8-10 people in any instance, flying around, fighting in fps mode etc. In fact, 99% of the SC videos, are of people doing random poo poo with hardly any meaningful or consequential "gameplay".

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

This makes me think even more about how Chris doesn't understand how people think, or gaming in general. To be immersed in an experience like a game, has nothing to do with seeing the same things on your monitor that you would see in real life.

When you drive a car, and it starts to rain, and drops form on your windshield, unless it's a heavy rain, you just look through the drops. Your brain edits them out.

If you ride a motorcycle, the first time you wear the helmet, your view is restricted. But after you've been riding a while, you subconsciously compensate for the limited visibility by turning your head farther and more often than usual. You don't know you're doing it - you just do it.

When you first start to wear glasses, you can't stop seeing the rims. And there again, after some time, your brain edits out the frames and you don't see them any more.

In a game, it's different. If you draw drops on the windshield, you can't focus past them - they're in the way. If you limit view from wearing a helmet, it's always harder to see. If you play a character who wears glasses, and they design the rims around the edge of your screen, they're always there and always in the way. You're not "seeing what a guy wearing glasses sees" because in real life the guy wearing glasses can't see the frames unless he looks for them.

In a video game, immersion comes from several factors - lighting, movement, and sound, to name a few. Get the mood right, and you feel like you're there. And the irony of all this is that the "climbing the ladder" into your ship, for example, actually pulls you out of the game. It takes control away from your character (which does not happen in real life, I hope) and reminds you "oh yeah, this is a video game, I can't move until this scripted animation is done playing."

Whereas in games where you get in a car or something instantly, THAT is the part your brain edits out, keeping you in the flow of being in character. Nobody says "How did I get in this car?" They know how they got in, they hit the USE key, and now they're in it and ready for action. Your brain skips over the mundane details and you enjoy a contiguous experience.

It never fails to amaze me how many people in the world miss a target specifically because they were aiming for it.

Pure Gold.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

I bet that Ben's reply would be different if the result of the poll is in favor of YES I want monetization in Star Citizen

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

EminusSleepus posted:

I bet that Ben's reply would be different if the result of the poll is in favor of YES I want monetization in Star Citizen

Sorry there seems to be a problem with the polls, nothing to see here nuh-uh. *thread closed*

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

EminusSleepus posted:

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

EminusSleepus posted:

104 million dollars and they could only afford 2 mocap helmets. The rest have to make do with sticking rubber rings on their heads.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Chalks posted:

104 million dollars and they could only afford 2 mocap helmets. The rest have to make do with sticking rubber rings on their heads.

errrmm you have mistaken a life preserver for a helmet.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

EminusSleepus posted:

errrmm you have mistaken a life preserver for a helmet.

In case they fall in the space water while fishing for all the whales. It makes sense if you think about it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

This. What the gently caress is this, and who thought this poo poo made sense.

15,000 loving dollars for this poo poo?! And it's not even ALL of the ships, and buying this UNLOCKS the potential to BUY another ship? How can Star Citizen cultist idiots, you loving morons, can possibly defend this? With all you have seen of the alpha, how it's still completely behind schedule and being handled like a bunch C- high schoolers working on a project?

This is legit making me angry.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 3, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rudager posted:

It makes me angry because it shouldn't even be a conversation, you can't do anything they list in Star Citizen because it isn't even a loving game yet

Just to follow this up, my post full of the links proving a claim wrong is at -14 reddit points, lmao.

They really don't want their world view proven to be wrong.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fargin Icehole posted:

15,000 loving dollars for this poo poo?! And it's not even ALL of the ships, and buying this UNLOCKS the potential to BUY another ship? How can Star Citizen cultist idiots, you loving morons, can possibly defend this? With all you have seen of the alpha, how it's still completely behind schedule and being handled like a bunch C- high schoolers working on a project?

how much does the javelin even cost?

because lol I'm not going to their website to check myself

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Unfunny Poster posted:

Just to follow this up, my post full of the links proving a claim wrong is at -14 reddit points, lmao.

They really don't want their world view proven to be wrong.

then gently caress those idiots. i have no sympathy for idiots who ignore legitimate warnings from other people, choke on that poo poo for all i care.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Fargin Icehole posted:

Cultists shits will say:

YOU CAN EARN EVERYTHING IN GAME

if you ask them, can I earn that $250 ship in 1 week casual game then they will reply

HELL NO!

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Renegret posted:

how much does the javelin even cost?

because lol I'm not going to their website to check myself

$2500 and it is a standalone ship so there is no game for you even if you already have shelled out that kind of amount

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

EminusSleepus posted:

wait so this is un-monetized Star Citizen? :psyduck:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
If they haven't talked about doing it, why is he making the poll?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Saint Drogo posted:

wait so this is un-monetized Star Citizen? :psyduck:

Sorry forgot to add the context: the question is when star citizen has "launched" would it be OK for you if cig will monetized star citizen as in like a cash shop like most mmo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

EminusSleepus posted:

$2500 and it is a standalone ship so there is no game for you even if you already have shelled out that kind of amount

I'm really glad this is going to crash as hard as it will because I'm not pleased with the precedent that it would set otherwise.

Although, loving lol nerds and their money.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

serious norman posted:

If they haven't talked about doing it, why is he making the poll?

He didn't make the poll with his trex arms lol

Sorry to confuse but here is the thread

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6176433/#Comment_6176433

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EminusSleepus posted:

It's also just the shell of a ship with no weapons, shields, etc.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes, I forgot to mention that and their reasoning is for the owner/guild will have a goal in outfitting that ship into a battle ready machine or make it into a floating casino/strip bar

Fakedit:ok the casino/strip bar part is my idea lol

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agrajag posted:

then gently caress those idiots. i have no sympathy for idiots who ignore legitimate warnings from other people, choke on that poo poo for all i care.

It wasn't a warning, it was just a list of things that were claimed to not be in EVE being shown to exist in EVE save for like 3 things (FPS, Gardening, and Planetary Landing).

They got unjustifiably mad about it for some silly reason. Apparently reality doesn't fit the narrative.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 3, 2016

TigerBomb
Sep 25, 2007

HookedOnChthonics posted:

I wanted something realistic and reachable though. Look deep in your heart and tell me you wouldn't be at least a little impressed if sc managed to shape up enough to beat out a poorly recieved mmo from 2010

And STO is a bad example in itself: it deserved 66% when it was first released, but since then it was sold and over the last ~4 years they have had regular updates and additions to gameplay. For awhile they were going back and re-doing missions and seasons to update and tweak them: in some cases reworking missions to be bigger, more story-focused and to take advantage of newer gameplay elements. They did also throw in a lot of pay aspects like lockboxes (loving things), but those are completely optional and not required if you want to simply grind for top-tier gear. They also added a LOT more voicework from STO actors (not the best talent but still recognizable actors from the series) and tying them into the expanded lore of the universe.

For casual players the gameplay is unaffected, and I personally had a lot of fun just levelling characters up to max and starting a new tier (Engineer, Science or Assault) because end-gameplay doesn't appeal to me.

So while it was a 66% on release, it would definitely rate higher if re-reviewed now after 6ish years of progress.

SC could not afford to follow the same path of 'release mediocre MMO, go bust and sell it, new owner sinks a lot of money to bring it up to scratch over a few years' since they already started with the cashgrab of ships. They really don't have anywhere to go that isn't tapping the same limited market starting with a sub-par product.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6191257/#Comment_6191257

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6191337/#Comment_6191337

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

loving lol

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the guy who made this video still believes in "A Promise"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRAt8tg-8co

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

EminusSleepus posted:

Cultists shits will say:

YOU CAN EARN EVERYTHING IN GAME

if you ask them, can I earn that $250 ship in 1 week casual game then they will reply

HELL NO!

The really funny part? If the game ever comes out, poop-socking and botting will most likely make it possible to earn one in a matter of days.

Come to think of it, even with the existence of the grey market before the game is even out, has there been any word on CIG's part as far as how they intend to tackle the inevitable bot farms, gold credit sellers, and any of the other ubiquitous market actors that will threaten the integrity of the game economy?

Unfunny Poster posted:

It wasn't a warning, it was just a list of things that were claimed to not be in EVE being shown to exist in EVE save for like 3 things (FPS, Gardening, and Planetary Landing).

They got unjustifiably mad about it for some silly reason. Apparently reality doesn't fit the narrative.

To be honest, EVE's Planetary Interaction might as well be gardening for all the kind of futzing it requires (and it even lets you produce plankton, bacteria, and other forms of biomass). Also, since one of the higher-tier products is life stock, there has to be some kind of hay being farmed along the way, right? :D

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 3, 2016

• Locked thread