Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Trabant posted:

But Fab 1 fits the thread topic perfectly! :haw:

Anyway, following links from the :gb2gbs: thread dedicated to the same topic, Gene Roddenberry's floppy disks were finally read:

from this article.

Custom OS? That's... wholly unnecessary, even in the 80s. Hardcore though.

PC World says the disks were DOS and CP/M.

Apparently the actual computer type is unknown, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

monolithburger posted:

You just know every child that tested that out hit themselves square in the face 9 times out of 10.

I'd be more concerned with the fact that the child has a rope around his neck.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Chocolate Teapot posted:

I'd be more concerned with the fact that the child has a rope around his neck.

The joys of asphyxiation and whiplash are only a kick away!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There's a block on the rope to keep it from strangling you if pulled, but that somehow doesn't make it look safe.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Computer viking posted:

There's a block on the rope to keep it from strangling you if pulled, but that somehow doesn't make it look safe.

There are enough other ways to hurt you with a rope hanging from your neck.

A little later, Skip-it was born. Many people tripped.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Computer viking posted:

According to the patent description that's an optional feature.

This was cited as prior art:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

PC World says the disks were DOS and CP/M.

Apparently the actual computer type is unknown, though.

This is because huge swathes of computers in those days were custom for that model.

Today, everything is a PC-AT clone, so all the operating stack from the hardware on up is the same. This was not the case previously, and each model of computer would have its own hardware stack and accompanying BIOS and operating system build. The closest analogy I can make is the different architectures linux supports, but even that is very standardized, with one ARMv7 system being much the same as another. In the days when the Z80 was still used as a CPU for personal computers, each system was very different from another, and the consumer could choose between different BIOS's as well as different operating systems, further complicating things.

The IBM PC-AT changed all this, when IBM tried to maintain compatibility between models, and then lost the court case against other manufacturers who were making copies (clones) of the system. Attempts to customize this system (IBM PS/2 or Tandy desktop) got shut out of any support by third parties, and effectively we are using the PC-AT to this day. The switch to x86-64 and UEFI is finally changing to a more modern standard, not just extending the existing one.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

The switch to x86-64 and UEFI is finally changing to a more modern standard, not just extending the existing one.

UEFI is a beautiful example of how to replace something bad but functional with something even worse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shifty Pony posted:

According to the patent description that's an optional feature.

This was cited as prior art:

People really struggled before videogames huh? :ohdear:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

SubG posted:

Or Soylent and antibiotics, to kill off your gut bacteria so you no longer have to poop. This is something Rob Rhinehart, the guy who invented Soylent, actually did:

He was trying to lower his water usage and flushing the toilet uses a lot of water, so this was the logical result.

He's going to regret that when the C. diff hits him. :unsmigghh:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

He's going to regret that when the C. diff hits him. :unsmigghh:
In addition to giving up water, he tried giving up alternating current http://robrhinehart.com/?p=1331

Rob Rhinehart is what you would get if a libertarian futurist and an anarcho-primitivist settled their differences by headbutting each other until one died and the survivor had severe brain damage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GWBBQ posted:

In addition to giving up water, he tried giving up alternating current http://robrhinehart.com/?p=1331

Some moron posted:

The walls are buzzing. I know this because I have a magnet implanted in my hand and whenever I reach near an outlet I can feel them. I can feel fortresses of industry miles away burning prehistoric hydrocarbons by the megaton. I can feel the searing pain and loss of consciousness from when I was shocked by exposed house wiring as a boy. I can feel the deep cut of the power bill when I was living near the poverty line. I can feel the cold uncertainty of the first time the power went out due to a storm when I was a child. How long before the delicate veil of civilization turns to savagery with no light nor heat nor refrigeration?
[…]
Nightmares about being trapped in a coal mine have been replaced by pleasant dreams of basking in the sun’s glory.

Speaking of obsolete technology (when not camping in the wilderness). Does this guy not have plumbed natural gas?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Probably the manufacturer saying this is the reason he uses it:

quote:

Primus PowerGas is our carbon dioxide neutral fuel. To offset carbon dioxide emissions from the gas and the metal cartridge, we support the Darkwoods Forest project that is managed by Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) and the Forest Carbon Group. Darkwoods, one of the most biologically diverse and oldest forests in Canada, is now a permanently protected conservation area thanks to the project. It is the largest project in Canada’s history and covers 55,000 hectares that include 17 watersheds, 50 lakes and a stand of western red cedar more than 600 years old. Unlike several neighbouring forests, Darkwoods is no longer threatened by deforestation. By preventing deforestation and introducing sustainable forest management, which include replantation of trees, the CO2 storage capacity increases. As trees capture CO2, the net balance of CO2 emissions from the gas is zero. The entire Darkwoods area in British Columbia is now protected and only a small part of the land is used for sustainable forestry.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

WebDog posted:

Sounds like a relic from old school Quake 3 where pro gamers turned everything distracting off so the game had no lighting or animations and dropping the resolution down to get stuff like 98FPS and so on.

Quake 3/Quake Live players still do that and get pissed off when people tell them that it is strange.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pham Nuwen posted:

UEFI is a beautiful example of how to replace something bad but functional with something even worse.

Would you explain this in more detail?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Boiled Water posted:

Would you explain this in more detail?

I haven't written anything talking to/running in EFI, though I did write a BIOS floppy bootblock in assembly once:

Typical BIOS booting might be annoyingly far from how the hardware actually works today, but it has a tiny "API" which is usually implemented reasonably near the standard. In practice, a class of students can write their own bootloaders in a week, and then you're basically done talking to the BIOS and leave it to the OS to enumerate hardware and hopefully dig up enough drivers to make use of it.

UEFI is perhaps best described as a small OS in itself, with ways to write and load drivers and arbitrary programs. To boot, you write an executable file (in windows PE format) that links to UEFI function calls, and use that to find and boot the OS. UEFI can initialize things for you, though all it's typically used for is grabbing a working high-res framebuffer to put your boot animations in. Oh, and since there is a lot more to implement, there's also more ways to do it wrong - as the motherboard makers have been demonstrating for some years now. (It's getting better, though).

The main problem with UEFI - beyond "if safe boot is on your OS needs to be signed by MS", which seems to work out ok in practice - is just that it's quite overengineered for a bootloader.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Platystemon posted:

Speaking of obsolete technology (when not camping in the wilderness). Does this guy not have plumbed natural gas?

Camping stoves inside of your house are a great idea, and totally not a massive fire hazard. This man only makes good decisions.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Trabant posted:

But Fab 1 fits the thread topic perfectly! :haw:

Anyway, following links from the :gb2gbs: thread dedicated to the same topic, Gene Roddenberry's floppy disks were finally read:

from this article.

Custom OS? That's... wholly unnecessary, even in the 80s. Hardcore though.

Writers are weird about what they write on, so it doesn't surprise me. George Rape-Rape Martin writes exclusively with WordStar 4.0 on a DOS computer.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

I still get a kick out of UT2004 playing a "holy poo poo" sound clip when you max the graphics. Which is much less impressive when you're playing on an ultraportable laptop and it still hits 60FPS.

My mates and I still to this day call putting a game into highest detail as "holy poo poo mode".

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

IIRC I needed drivers for the CD drive, ethernet, monitor to get it above 640x480 in 256 colours, USB, sound, and probably a couple of others that I'm forgetting now. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but drivers from that era seem quite hard to find.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. I remember struggling with computers sometimes back then, but I don't remember it being so bad. I think we're a bit spoiled these days with most things working straight out of the box.

There is at least one VESA universal driver that's been written specifically for windows98, it's even working for Win98 VMs. Perhaps you can try it?

This should be it: http://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbempj_x64.zip, from this page: http://www.navozhdeniye.narod.ru/vbemp.htm

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Thanks for the advice, but this was years ago in another country with a person who I haven't kept in touch with. But if I ever decide to do something similar I'll keep that in mind.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Computer viking posted:

I haven't written anything talking to/running in EFI, though I did write a BIOS floppy bootblock in assembly once:

Typical BIOS booting might be annoyingly far from how the hardware actually works today, but it has a tiny "API" which is usually implemented reasonably near the standard. In practice, a class of students can write their own bootloaders in a week, and then you're basically done talking to the BIOS and leave it to the OS to enumerate hardware and hopefully dig up enough drivers to make use of it.

UEFI is perhaps best described as a small OS in itself, with ways to write and load drivers and arbitrary programs. To boot, you write an executable file (in windows PE format) that links to UEFI function calls, and use that to find and boot the OS. UEFI can initialize things for you, though all it's typically used for is grabbing a working high-res framebuffer to put your boot animations in. Oh, and since there is a lot more to implement, there's also more ways to do it wrong - as the motherboard makers have been demonstrating for some years now. (It's getting better, though).

The main problem with UEFI - beyond "if safe boot is on your OS needs to be signed by MS", which seems to work out ok in practice - is just that it's quite overengineered for a bootloader.

UEFI is just a worse Open Firmware.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Keiya posted:

UEFI is just a worse Open Firmware.

Open Firmware (OpenBoot on Sun) was pretty decent, agreed. I liked hitting the Stop-a key combo to pull up the firmware console even after the OS was booted.

Coreboot is the best, really. It's incredibility fast, it's open source, and I know the guy who started the project so I can just ask him if I need help :v:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I don't think that's particularly uncommon. I live less than two miles by road from a natural gas pipeline and my neighborhood doesn't have it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Isn't natural gas pretty regional? I know no one in New England that has it (they all use oil, electric, or wood). Most everyone I know in the South with a house built in the last 30 years seems to have natural gas.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Isn't natural gas pretty regional? I know no one in New England that has it (they all use oil, electric, or wood). Most everyone I know in the South with a house built in the last 30 years seems to have natural gas.

Back home in eastern Washington we didn't have gas because hydroelectric power was so cheap. Luckily we do have it here in New Mexico, where most of the electricity is coal-fired.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Krispy Kareem posted:

As far as I've seen, it is. In rural areas, the infrastructure may just not be there for a gas hookup, but (at least here in the Midwest) there are delivery services that will come by regularly to fill tanks for you if you have gas appliances. If you're really rural, it's probably cheaper to go for wood, though. Wood stoves are cheap as hell to buy and maintain, and if you own some acreage, fuel grows right out in the back yard!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

"A worse OpenFirmware" seems like a good summary, yeah, though perhaps not the most informative for the mildly curious. :)

Oh, and piped gas is so regional that I don't think a single house in Norway has it. We mostly hear about the idea when a random house explodes somewhere else, which understandably limits the enthusiasm for it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Computer viking posted:

"A worse OpenFirmware" seems like a good summary, yeah, though perhaps not the most informative for the mildly curious. :)

Oh, and piped gas is so regional that I don't think a single house in Norway has it. We mostly hear about the idea when a random house explodes somewhere else, which understandably limits the enthusiasm for it.

Don't you guys have a lot of oil? Natural gas is basically a byproduct of drilling for oil IIRC

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The house I live in near Philadelphia was originally built with gas lighting and coal fired steam heat. The coal was replaced by an oil burner. Electricity was added in the 1910s, in the 1970s, there were gas stoves added to the kitchens. There was a gas dryer at one point, but it's electric now. Plumbing wasn't original of course, hot water was oil fired, but converted to natural gas last year.

The knob and tube wiring uses the old gas pipes as the neutral in some spots. The circuits are ring circuits in some places.

Imagine living in a house not designed for modern rooms like bathrooms or kitchens. Sure there were kitchens but not like today. My bathroom was the stairs to the cellar at one point.

0toShifty has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Jan 7, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Some parts of New England have gas lines from Canada, and others coming up from NJ. The area I live in (north western VT) has gas lines almost everywhere, and it's slowly expanding to the southern and central parts of the state.

That's from 2009, and it's only the larger pipelines, obviously.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

carry on then posted:

I still get a kick out of UT2004 playing a "holy poo poo" sound clip when you max the graphics. Which is much less impressive when you're playing on an ultraportable laptop and it still hits 60FPS.

I feel similarly about Warcraft2's "Your sound card works perfectly!"

I sometimes do an impression of that guy's voice when I install a new game :cheeky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_A1GNx0M9M

Speaking of obsolete technology, how about having to manually set IRQ numbers when installing games? :corsair:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

0toShifty posted:

The house I live in near Philadelphia was originally built with gas lighting and coal fired steam heat. The coal was replaced by an oil burner. Electricity was added in the 1910s, in the 1970s, there were gas stoves added to the kitchens. There was a gas dryer at one point, but it's electric now. Plumbing wasn't original of course, hot water was oil fired, but converted to natural gas last year.

The knob and tube wiring uses the old gas pipes as the neutral in some spots. The circuits are ring circuits in some places.

Imagine living in a house not designed for modern rooms like bathrooms or kitchens. Sure there were kitchens but not like today. My bathroom was the stairs to the cellar at one point.

Kitchens were usually lean-tos built on the side of houses so they could catch on fire and not hurt anything and be rebuilt easily.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I feel similarly about Warcraft2's "Your sound card works perfectly!"

I sometimes do an impression of that guy's voice when I install a new game :cheeky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_A1GNx0M9M

Speaking of obsolete technology, how about having to manually set IRQ numbers when installing games? :corsair:

When I was running Redhat on a 486, it could never seem to remember the config for the ISA soundcard from boot to boot, so every time I booted it would run the "Kudzu" autoconfiguration thing. For sound cards configuration, it played a clip of Linus Torvalds to test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK0xXFZtJ8Q

Burned into my loving brain.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

When I was running Redhat on a 486, it could never seem to remember the config for the ISA soundcard from boot to boot, so every time I booted it would run the "Kudzu" autoconfiguration thing. For sound cards configuration, it played a clip of Linus Torvalds to test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK0xXFZtJ8Q

Burned into my loving brain.

That's solid gold.

I'm gonna have to remember that audio clip and use it at some point in the future.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Greatbacon posted:

Haha, I ran into that when I got a :krad: gaming laptop for my birthday back in the late 2000s and picked up Deus Ex on a Steam sale.

Without any patches that motherfucker would run at 2-3x speeds which was hilarious until I got past the opening menu.

The solution I stumbled across involved manually going into the hardware settings and disabling all but one of the processor cores before starting the game.

I seriously doubt Deus Ex was written with multithreading support, so I'm not sure why that helped!

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Because all of the processes running on other cores were then running on the same one as Deus Ex I would guess.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Non Serviam posted:

Camping stoves inside of your house are a great idea, and totally not a massive fire hazard. This man only makes good decisions.

Actually that stove is relatively safe since it uses pressurized flammable gas that's ready to burn when it exits the can, really no different than a natural gas range.

If he was using a white gas camping stove indoors I'd be concerned - they pass low pressure liquid fuel through a loop of pipe that is exposed directly to the flame, which vaporizes the fuel before it reaches the burner. Once it's up to operating temperature this is perfectly safe, however before it gets up to temperature you have to prime it by filling a small cup at the base of the burner with fuel and setting it on fire.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Anyone remember Blue Frog? It was an attempt to fight spammers with spam.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Frog

The spam community fought back and they faded out pretty fast, but it kind of worked for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Anyone remember Blue Frog? It was an attempt to fight spammers with spam.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Frog

The spam community fought back and they faded out pretty fast, but it kind of worked for a while.

I remember them. They must have been doing something right if they pissed off the spammers so much.