Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Väinämöinen was a child rapist. Therefore, all Finns are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

Rexroom posted:

However the whole "immigration critical" circle heavily revolved around him and his blog, so it can pretty safely be said that he was one of the main ideologues of that movement.
Seriously speaking, of course I agree with you that Halla-aho has been central in that scene, and that he is often, ummm, "less-than-constructive" so to speak. If you check his public Facebook page it is mostly just snark about "ullatus", and he's a goddamn MEP now, not some random blogger letting out his steam.

I also think that we see the actual problem pretty much the same way, as in "currently it is very difficult to have any reasonable public discussion about immigration", and that racist extremists are among those who should be blamed for it. What we likely see differently is how this situation came to be.

I just find it completely implausible that if we ("the public discourse in Finland") had had someone half-reasonable arguing and exploring the option "our system can't cope with x-amount of y-kind of immigration", a position which you earlier said that is within the limits of reasonable, Halla-aho could have hogged the limelight like he managed to do. Now we have to live with the situation as it is.

What I meant with my earlier, not-so-serious post is that a whole bunch of well-meaning people unintentionally given Mestari an empty stage for him to take over. I emphasize that I am not equating them, but I do hold every op-ed writer who has ever said "mutta olihan Dzeims Finlaysonkin mamu" partly responsible about the record low level of discussion. Recycling absolutely inane talking points, such as making comparisons between a 19th century machinist and a 21th century Iraqi refugee, is emblematic how absolutely unwilling "the reasonable people" have been to have a reasonable discussion. It is convenient and reassuring to say that "those people" (Halla-aho and his ilk) are the only ones to blame, but I don't think it's true.

If there are no reasonable voices to be found, the crackpots will steal the show. It's not entirely the crackpots' fault, and yes, I certainly do hold reasonable people to a higher standard. A much higher standard really. The existence of rabid racists on the internet isn't an excuse that the reasonable people should use to withhold from having a reasonable discussion among themselves. That's just a really bad excuse.

I was involved in a discussion about climate change a few months ago. A person there expressed her worry about 10% of polled Finns being denialists, and I had to say that I found it really odd how much that bothered her. How does it matter what the 10% think? There will never be a moment where all people will hold the factually correct or politically correct view about anything. Meanwhile the 90% are free to do whatever they want completely regardless of the opposing minority.

Nenonen posted:

Did she wear a short skirt? Did she say "no" clearly enough? Did she turn into a fish to try to avoid the situation?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Nenonen posted:

Also a powerful shaman, just like Hallo-Aho. One is called the Steady Old and the other Master. Anyone think of more similarities?

pop a Xanax
Oct 7, 2009

when you have a desperate need to calm down or you are stuck in a groove that is addiction

doverhog posted:

Also a powerful shaman, just like Hallo-Aho. One is called the Steady Old and the other Master. Anyone think of more similarities?

I don't think Halla-aho is a child rapist, but I've heard from a very reliable source that he is a junkie and has a fondness for male prostitutes.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

SnowblindFatal posted:

It's a bit like how people think that what the human race is doing is somehow "bad" for the planet, when we are just as much part of Earth's nature as any other species. There are similar thought patterns in immigration discussion too, imo.

Everyone is equal, before God or the Universe or whatever you want to believe in. I can absolutely agree with that. It's very hard to apply that broad notion to everyday socio-political interactions between disparate cultures.

Rexroom posted:

Let me give you an example: If you are against mass immigration on the level of "I think we should limit immigration because our system can't cope with it", then that's fine. Perfectly debatable. But, if it's more like "I think we should limit immigration because all muslims rape and leech the welfare state dry", then there is nothing to debate besides your rampant paranoia. Bonus minus points if you think it's because of green-leftie suvakkis corrupting agenda and consider MV-lehti as a trustworthy news source.

First, most people will not fall under the latter category. People are afraid of societal change and want to live in a safe, comfortable and *predictable* environment. There's plenty of research done which suggests that people are the most happy and content in a homogeneous environment. In other words, people want to live among their own kind. If you think that is exclusive to Western civilizations then it most certainly is not. That's why immigrants from any part of the world tend to live among people of similar ethnic or religious background.

Now, imagine 2/3 of people from a random country have the opinion that not a single Muslim (or Chinese person, or someone with red hair) should be allowed to settle in their homeland because they are a dirty thief and probably also a rapist. That is a stupid generlization and a pretty nasty prejudice, I agree, but the mood and views of the people are pretty clear. Don't you think that the citizens of the said country don't have the right to dictate who they let into their country, and under what terms? Or should the minority dictate official policy because it is the "correct opinion"?

Please note I'm not speaking about a specific country, I'm merely conjecturing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

vuohi posted:

This bald, bloodless, part time Church Slavic teacher person you speak of must be a really powerful shaman, if he can by himself decide the fate of a societal debate in the whole country and no-one could have done anything about it.

This short mixed-blood failed painter corporal with one testicle must be a really powerful shaman...

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Ligur posted:

You just don't give a poo poo

Well you got me there. I've said over and over again that I'm utterly bored to "discussion" that goes in circles and plays the same beats all the time. Finally you found this out. Good for you!

Could we please now discuss something else?

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Rexroom posted:

Case in point. Since I am apparently a suvakki, I am thus hypocritical. I'm still confused, what exactly makes me a suvakki? Hmm...

I see. Apparently anyone who thinks killing immigrants is bad.

melko väsyneitä olkiukkoja

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
http://www.hs.fi/kaupunki/a1452138124738

Hmm...

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

This short mixed-blood failed painter corporal with one testicle must be a really powerful shaman...
The world could have avoided that guy too, had some different choices been made.

Good for us that his totem animal became angry at him in Stalingrad and he shot himself.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Hmm indeed. First the police say they thwarted a (suspected) repeat of the incident in Köln, and now KRP is saying there never was a probability of that happening. So, uh, the truth is in the middle? :confused:

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
The new years stuff is no big deal anyway, like they say "joukossa tyhmyys tiivistyy". Boys will be boys.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Rexroom posted:

It's not a problem. The problem is that Halla-aho poisoned the debate with generalizations, us vs them vocabulary and overarching narratives about Muslim hordes forcing Finnish women wearing sacks or something.

Let me give you an example: If you are against mass immigration on the level of "I think we should limit immigration because our system can't cope with it", then that's fine. Perfectly debatable. But, if it's more like "I think we should limit immigration because all muslims rape and leech the welfare state dry", then there is nothing to debate besides your rampant paranoia.

Oh come on. I've been following the debate for more than a decade and I can very safely say this.

The largest hurdle is that you guys ("suvakit" ja "kukkahatut") reduce and equate: "I think we should limit immigration because our system can't cope with it" to this: "I think we should limit immigration because all muslims rape and leech the welfare state dry". Halla-aho never said that, but you will claim he, or me, or whoever wants to limit immigration said it anyway. Especially if we committed the politically incorrect deed of pointing out that some immigrant groups really are rather pronounced in statistics. Then you summon Fazer and Finlayson and karjalan evakot and also Finns went to USA to dig gold four generations ago, it's exactly the same as Iraqi guys coming here with fake ID's and on the taxpayers expense so suck it up.

If molesting women or crime do not enter the discussion, at least our motives are suspect anyway, because...

"Hmmm... this person wants to limit immigration, and immigrants are foreigners and often brown... racists don't like brown people, right? So perhaps this person wants to limit immigration just because he doesn't like brown people, and who else didn't like brown people? Hitler and the nazis, that's who, and what did they do to brown people? Put them in the oven. Ergo, this person who wants to limit immgiration is a racist who wants to put brown people into the oven".

... so we don't need to talk about actual immigration policies, but instead the motives of the people who are talking about it. Or perhaps try to dissect their paragraphs, trying to snif something that might offend someone, so we can talk about what is the correct way to talk about immigration. Just as long as we don't talk about actual policy.

Tollasten pellejen kanssa Hallikset sun muut sitten joutuu "keskustelemaan" and then Rexroom comes out from his komero and claims it was Halla-aho and his pals who poisoned the discussion. Give me a loving break.

edit:

vuohi posted:

What I meant with my earlier, not-so-serious post is that a whole bunch of well-meaning people unintentionally given Mestari an empty stage for him to take over. I emphasize that I am not equating them, but I do hold every op-ed writer who has ever said "mutta olihan Dzeims Finlaysonkin mamu" partly responsible about the record low level of discussion. Recycling absolutely inane talking points, such as making comparisons between a 19th century machinist and a 21th century Iraqi refugee, is emblematic how absolutely unwilling "the reasonable people" have been to have a reasonable discussion. It is convenient and reassuring to say that "those people" (Halla-aho and his ilk) are the only ones to blame, but I don't think it's true.

If there are no reasonable voices to be found, the crackpots will steal the show. It's not entirely the crackpots' fault, and yes, I certainly do hold reasonable people to a higher standard. A much higher standard really. The existence of rabid racists on the internet isn't an excuse that the reasonable people should use to withhold from having a reasonable discussion among themselves. That's just a really bad excuse.

No just näin.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 7, 2016

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

OhYeah posted:

Everyone is equal, before God or the Universe or whatever you want to believe in. I can absolutely agree with that. It's very hard to apply that broad notion to everyday socio-political interactions between disparate cultures.

I didn't actually mean my comment as support for cultural relativism which I find is bullshit the moment a culture has an avoidable negative impact on anything. I wanted to make a comparison with people who think that there is something inherently wrong with exploiting natural resources and to people who think that there is something inherently wrong with restricting immigration. Both can be seen as tools with their up and downsides.

Even if deep down I am a hardcore "nothing really matters" hippie, I don't let that get in the way of the happiness of myself and my fellow people. I guess the big question in practical politics is as to who to consider "fellow people", but quite frankly I'm happy I don't have to make the call.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone who thinks Finland doesn't have enough native pedocults already and wants more musselmen should read The God Delusion.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

It's pretty ahistavaa että Ligur changes from English to suomen kieleen koko time ja sitten oottaa että se tekis any kind of järkeä.

Ehkä it tekee textistä luettable lontoonkieliselle readerille

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

HUMAN FISH posted:

The new years stuff is no big deal anyway, like they say "joukossa tyhmyys tiivistyy". Boys will be boys.

SnowblindFatal posted:

I didn't actually mean my comment as support for cultural relativism which I find is bullshit the moment a culture has an avoidable negative impact on anything. I wanted to make a comparison with people who think that there is something inherently wrong with exploiting natural resources and to people who think that there is something inherently wrong with restricting immigration. Both can be seen as tools with their up and downsides.

How very realpolitik of you.

Refreshing, I quite enjoy the sensation.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

OhYeah posted:

How very realpolitik of you.

Refreshing, I quite enjoy the sensation.

Thanks regardless of the irony levels. :haw:

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Darkest Auer posted:

Anyone who thinks Finland doesn't have enough native pedocults already and wants more musselmen should read The God Delusion.

Didn't realise that Finland also had it's own version of Westminister.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Minorkos posted:

It's pretty ahistavaa että Ligur changes from English to suomen kieleen koko time ja sitten oottaa että se tekis any kind of järkeä.

Ehkä it tekee textistä luettable lontoonkieliselle readerille

he's bobby aro and i love him.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
These Muslim hordes are more devious than I could even imagine: They come here, and in an effort to conceal their true agenda - that is, turning Finland into the northernmost caliphate of the Muslim empire - they will go so far as to convert themselves to Christianity!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hitlernazi stuff, I was walking home and actually saw for the first time ever a random guy shouting to another guy, who looked like an Iraqi, that he should ge the gently caress out of here and that he is an awful monster or something to that effect. I dragged away the shouting guy rather violently by his collar.

We're going to see more of this, I'm afraid.

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

Rexroom posted:

These Muslim hordes are more devious than I could even imagine: They come here, and in an effort to conceal their true agenda - that is, turning Finland into the northernmost caliphate of the Muslim empire - they will go so far as to convert themselves to Christianity!

To be honest the timing seems a bit weird when these people don't even know if they can stay in the country. Kinda big risk they're taking if this doesn't affect getting refugee status at all.

Ligur posted:

We're going to see more of this, I'm afraid.
aaww, you big softy. I knew you only had the best interests of these muslim dudes in mind when you wanted them to stay away from Finland. I mean, the violence is inevitable, we cant just cant help ourselves

Golden Gate Bride fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 7, 2016

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mulli posted:

aaww, you big softy. I knew you only had the best interests of these muslim dudes in mind when you wanted them to stay away from Finland. I mean, the violence is inevitable, we cant just cant help ourselves

Snigger. Yeah get all down to that, feels good, right?

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

Ligur posted:

Snigger. Yeah get all down to that, feels good, right?

What? Huh? I'm being serious :confused:

Edit: did you just call me a snigger? Mods?

Golden Gate Bride fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 7, 2016

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
MOOOOOM ligur hit me :qq:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Rexroom posted:

Tää on kuin vaihtais puoluekirjaa SKP:stä SKDL:ään

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Mulli posted:

To be honest the timing seems a bit weird when these people don't even know if they can stay in the country. Kinda big risk they're taking if this doesn't affect getting refugee status at all.

It doesn't and it is dangerous to them, to the point of not wanting their names published so that news of their conversion wouldn't reach Iraq or whatever they're from.

Yay. :)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
These guys are going out of their way to make themelves feel welcome.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Rexroom posted:

Heh, looks like someone hasn't heard of taqiyya :smuggo:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Ligur posted:

Lol, they use Daily Heil as a source

e: Also Bild

Herman Merman fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 8, 2016

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Herman Merman posted:

Lol, they use Daily Heil as a source

e: Also Bild

Yeah... it's all made up!

e: and BBC and CNN, but anyway it's all made up

Ligur fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 8, 2016

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ligur posted:

One of the really annoying things about this is the current culture of "political correctness" around the police and some media outlets (e.g. Yle in particular in Finland).

The fact that the police said after NY that there were no problems until enough people came out and said "well... actually"

Meanwhile some people continue to go "oh you're citing Daily HEIL again :rolleyes:" like somehow this story has been blown way out of proportion instead of first having been covered up because it doesn't fit the "little angels fleeing war" narrative

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Ligur posted:

I didn't click the link, but I'm glad there's some good news for a change. :)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LOL näemmä viime yönä EuroPol-säikeessä argumentoitiin ihan tosissaan että kansallismielisyys on rasismia. Meidän säie vuotaa :3:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Rappaport posted:

LOL näemmä viime yönä EuroPol-säikeessä argumentoitiin ihan tosissaan että kansallismielisyys on rasismia. Meidän säie vuotaa :3:

Nationalism can be racist if society judges national identity according to race. It's a political tool, nothing more. Not that I blame them: Europe had some very bad experiences of it in the past centuries or so.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Rexroom posted:

Nationalism can be racist if society judges national identity according to race. It's a political tool, nothing more. Not that I blame them: Europe had some very bad experiences of it in the past centuries or so.

It's just that nobody apart from you really gives a poo poo about "race".

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Ligur posted:

Not all of it I'm sure! But perhaps you should stop reading and quoting poo poo-tier news sources like Iltalehti, Ilta-Sanomat and Daily Mail?
I mean, there are perfectly good and informative articles about the Cologne assaults, only without the inflammatory language, hearsay and outright lies. They're not hard to find.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35231046
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/05/germany-crisis-cologne-new-years-eve-sex-attacks
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/cologne-shocked-by-sexual-assaults-on-new-years-eve-a-1070583.html

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Herman Merman posted:

Not all of it I'm sure! But perhaps you should stop reading and quoting poo poo-tier news sources like Iltalehti, Ilta-Sanomat and Daily Mail?
I mean, there are perfectly good and informative articles about the Cologne assaults, only without the inflammatory language, hearsay and outright lies. They're not hard to find.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35231046
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/05/germany-crisis-cologne-new-years-eve-sex-attacks
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/cologne-shocked-by-sexual-assaults-on-new-years-eve-a-1070583.html

I don't get it.

Herman is going like "HAH, I JUST PROVED SOMETHING!!1" but those sources he linked are basically saying the same thing every other source like Ilta-whatever and Daily Mail did.

What is this guy trying to explain away or what was his point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rexroom posted:

No joo, voihan leipäpalaankin tukehtua, mutten vetäisi tästä suurempia johtopäätelmiä syömisen järkevyydestä.