Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Kirby would eat the Demi-Fiend and defeat him thus. The ultimate warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nowadays? Again, not life time but recent track (We're talking since Awakening came out). I checked on the numbers, and none of the kirby games have hit the million mark since...the DS one maybe?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Nowadays? Again, not life time but recent track (We're talking since Awakening came out). I checked on the numbers, and none of the kirby games have hit the million mark since...the DS one maybe?

Huh?

Mass Attack, Triple Deluxe, Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland all did well over a million each. I don't think Rainbow Curse did but that's the outlier. You're counting worldwide sales, not just Japanese or American right?

Edit: Yeah, I even looked up the old financial reports. In 2012 for example Mass Attack did over a million and RtDL did 1,300,000 and that's not counting sales after that period. Later numbers I saw showed closer to 2 million for RtDL.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 8, 2016

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

no one cares about samus

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean that puts it in top 5-6 but Nintendo only has 7 or so franchises they're actually doing anything with on a regular basis (Sorry Metroid/F-Zero/DK/Advanced Wars).

there have been several fairly recent donkey kong games

the others I'll give you, tho metroid does have recent games as well. shame that other m was bad and the one they recently announced looks incredibly lame, but what can you do

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the others I'll give you, tho metroid does have recent games as well. shame that other m was bad and the one they recently announced looks incredibly lame, but what can you do

Donkey Kong Country Returns was actually an insane success it did like 7 million copies which is loving nuts for a single-console game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Huh?

Mass Attack, Triple Deluxe, Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland all did well over a million each. I don't think Rainbow Curse did but that's the outlier. You're counting worldwide sales, not just Japanese or American right?

Edit: Yeah, I even looked up the old financial reports. In 2012 for example Mass Attack did over a million and RtDL did 1,300,000 and that's not counting sales after that period. Later numbers I saw showed closer to 2 million for RtDL.

I think I was looking up an old npd report, then. Must've been shortly after release, cause the highest was .63.

Rainbow Curse is probably a bad seller because it's a Wii U title.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Donkey Kong Country Returns was actually an insane success it did like 7 million copies which is loving nuts for a single-console game.

To be fair, that single console was the wii

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

I had actually forgotten Tropical Freeze even existed. I remembered Returns but that one slipped my mind.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

no one cares about samus

i do

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That DKCR alone probably outsold the entire Prime Trilogy makes the ensuing rage from Tropical Freeze's announcement all the more hilarious.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

alcharagia posted:

kirby is the best nintendo franchise

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

alcharagia posted:

Kirby would eat the Demi-Fiend and defeat him thus. The ultimate warrior.

I will agree with this, but Kirby would need a Miracle Fruit first, clearly.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Stupid pieces of poo poo

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Moltrey posted:

Looks the translation teams that were working on Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP have merged into one.

Does the P2:EP PSP version do anything new? I can already play the PSX version on my vita and the translation there felt pretty good.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Radish posted:

Does the P2:EP PSP version do anything new? I can already play the PSX version on my vita and the translation there felt pretty good.

There's a whole new scenario with Tatsuya, plus general game improvements like speed options during battle and a fast-forward option during event scenes.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

PeaceDiner posted:

There's a whole new scenario with Tatsuya, plus general game improvements like speed options during battle and a fast-forward option during event scenes.

Also, new persona and equipment.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The original translation of EP is fine except for them not hitting a consistent spelling of all the spell/item names until Nocturne.

Though it's surprising to see Atlus USA passing up localization of an SMT game, they hadn't done it since the PSP version of Devil Summoner I think. (And the version of Nocturne with Raidou in it also I suppose)

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think the original translation of EP is hilarious because they kept inserting swears that they also censored.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PeaceDiner posted:

The Tatsuya scenario goes even more into Lovecraftian territory, with Randolph Carter, Cthulhu, Hastur and the cats of Ulthar all showing up.

I wanna play it so bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Item Getter posted:

Though it's surprising to see Atlus USA passing up localization of an SMT game

AFAIK they wanted to, but Atlus JP said no, at least partly because it sold like butt in Japan itself. They managed to get EP-PSX on PSN as a sort of "sorry" gesture, at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, that's pretty much what I remember hearing, they just plain weren't allowed to localize it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HGH posted:

Famitsu mentions it did 9K and lists it at 16th.
It's pretty much dead, between being sent out in the end of year rush and lack of audience I doubt we'll hear about it again.
Ultimately it's a flop but it's gonna be on Nintendo to deal with. Atlus made whatever they wanted and got paid for and I doubt we'll see future collaborations that aren't on 3DS or have extreme supervision by Nintendo.
At this point I just wonder what the hell NoA are gonna do.

Last time around if you bought FE and SMT4 together you'd get $30 back. Could do something similar again.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Last time around if you bought FE and SMT4 together you'd get $30 back. Could do something similar again.

That was a great deal. Would be a no brainer to pick up both games if they did it again.

That said FE# looks pretty crazy in a good way and I am going to pick it up unless Nintendo launches again. P5 or FFXV. There are some reports of the disk version having crazy drive loads so eshop on this one might be better.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Man, Mitsuru is a powerhouse with the sword you can fuse out of Michael.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

oblomov posted:

That was a great deal. Would be a no brainer to pick up both games if they did it again.

That said FE# looks pretty crazy in a good way and I am going to pick it up unless Nintendo launches again. P5 or FFXV. There are some reports of the disk version having crazy drive loads so eshop on this one might be better.

It'd make a lot less sense for #FE though, since both FE:Awakening and SMT 4 were on the 3DS... it would be a bit odd to have a cross-promotion between a Wii U and 3DS title

I saw a big display for #FE in the local game store the other day, but the one for SMT 4 Final was bigger...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Item Getter posted:

It'd make a lot less sense for #FE though, since both FE:Awakening and SMT 4 were on the 3DS... it would be a bit odd to have a cross-promotion between a Wii U and 3DS title

I saw a big display for #FE in the local game store the other day, but the one for SMT 4 Final was bigger...

I think oblomov was referring to SMTIV Final and the FE Fates games, which would make sense. SMTIV and Awakening are still my favorite RPG's for the 3DS.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

If someone was thinking about purchasing Persona Q without having played 3 or 4, what is the 3DS game they actually want to purchase? I know it has similarities to Etrian Odyssey but I've never played one of those so I don't know what to recommend.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

They want EO4, or EO: Untold if having to draw their own map is a deal breaker for them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I've tried starting up P3 like 4 or 5 times with significant time put in each session, but the farthest I got to was early July. Is it just that poorly paced compared to P4 in progression, because it's been kinda meandering for a very long while, and I just want my drat Aegis for once.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tae posted:

So I've tried starting up P3 like 4 or 5 times with significant time put in each session, but the farthest I got to was early July. Is it just that poorly paced compared to P4 in progression, because it's been kinda meandering for a very long while, and I just want my drat Aegis for once.

Why not just continue from where you left off?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tae posted:

P3 is extremely backloaded, yeah. Nothing really happens for huge stretches of the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Why not just continue from where you left off?

Lost the save. Someone made the comparison that Aegis is the mech goal of Xenoblade Chronicles X and that's a pretty good comparison.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If you didn't like that portion of P3 you probably would have quit before you finished anyway. The endgame sucks.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't worry nothing happens after you get Aegis either. When Ryoji shows up is when things finally start happening in P3 and by then you have like two months of game left.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I enjoyed all of P3, especially the quiet bits up until October when the plot kicks into gear. :shrug:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My comparison of Strega to Bulk and Skull still holds true to this day

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Just watch the movies.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pimp Drakula posted:

If someone was thinking about purchasing Persona Q without having played 3 or 4, what is the 3DS game they actually want to purchase? I know it has similarities to Etrian Odyssey but I've never played one of those so I don't know what to recommend.

Persona Q is persona 3, persons 4, and Etrian Odyssey 4 all made worse. Don't play it if you haven't played those better games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Persona Q is persona 3, persons 4, and Etrian Odyssey 4 all made worse. Don't play it if you haven't played those better games

Oh gently caress no I've played 3/4/Q, someone was asking me about it because Q was on sale and I knew they actually should get EO I just didn't know which.