Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

lmao the discussion they're having on reverse the verse about how they have no loving clue what's going on or how to fix the bugs.

What?

Any highlights, transcripts, funny GIFs? (Because there's no way I'm actually watching that stuff.)

e: nvm, I'm too slow.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

AP posted:

Rewind about 1 hour 57 mins from this post timestamp.

Basicly, all of it. Mr. Smart tore Sandi in 2 pieces. But now shes 2 Sandi's and we shall see her revenge in 2 weeks. Mr. Smart, watch out for the shadows in your house. It could be her.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Derek: if you have time for round tables, then you have time to record Bootcha's thingy.

Get it done.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

grimcreaper posted:

"Any and all sales are final while drinking 'Verse Vodka. You are not even entitled to get drunk as its a 15 proof vokda made in the heart of china. With child labor."

Hmm buy third rate "Baijiu" of unknow grains for pennies in Suzhou and sell it as fine vodka to cultists inside a nice, ship shaped bottle in a starry black box .

As long as nobody get blind what could possibly go wrong ?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

Basicly, all of it. Mr. Smart tore Sandi in 2 pieces. But now shes 2 Sandi's and we shall see her revenge in 2 weeks. Mr. Smart, watch out for the shadows in your house. It could be her.

Wait. If she's 2 Sandis and it's normally 2 weeks, does this mean we have to wait 4 weeks (so they can sync up) or 1 week (because they work twice as fast)? Also, does this mean she now needs 12 assistants or only 3 each?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

1500 posted:

Ya, I started playing BF4, because of GORF, the game is a lot of fun.
HELL YA.

I saw a BF4 video that reminded me of CIG.

But then I realized CIG will never get 40 players into a game, let alone an elevator.

Meanwhile, FIDELITY.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tippis posted:

Wait. If she's 2 Sandis and it's normally 2 weeks, does this mean we have to wait 4 weeks (so they can sync up) or 1 week (because they work twice as fast)? Also, does this mean she now needs 12 assistants or only 3 each?

Well... She normally does the work of 6 people, so now its 12. Which means... 3 + 3 = 6 +6 = 12, sandi is the best sales woman, now the best sales women... Half life 3 confirmed.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tippis posted:

What?

Any highlights, transcripts, funny GIFs? (Because there's no way I'm actually watching that stuff.)

e: nvm, I'm too slow.

that transcript is from AtV I think, not RtV.

http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/34287295

start at 46:40 while trying to maintain your confidence about this project :downs:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, I'm pretty sure illfonic just got fired out of the blue.

Here they are saying as much:

https://1496006.content.nlgrid.com/...mswZlE9PQ%3D%3D

They say they were under a contract:

http://www.illfonic.com/#!star-citizen/a7atz

CIG says that Illfonic simply finished their work.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-08-18-cloud-imperium-moving-more-star-citizen-dev-internal

So two different accounts of what happened. Did Illfonic screw it up and get fired?

We were supposed to be playing star marine 8 months ago. And Chris told us we could measure the time to release in "weeks".

Did CIG have to restart all the fps work? They claimed it's all fine.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Guys! We've been sooo wrong about PvP and pirating!

No mention of the inevitable consequence of piracy though

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, I'm pretty sure illfonic just got fired out of the blue.

Here they are saying as much:

https://1496006.content.nlgrid.com/...mswZlE9PQ%3D%3D

They say they were under a contract:

http://www.illfonic.com/#!star-citizen/a7atz

CIG says that Illfonic simply finished their work.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-08-18-cloud-imperium-moving-more-star-citizen-dev-internal

So two different accounts of what happened. Did Illfonic screw it up and get fired?

We were supposed to be playing star marine 8 months ago. And Chris told us we could measure the time to release in "weeks".

Did CIG have to restart all the fps work? They claimed it's all fine.

its happening

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Beet Wagon posted:

It's not cheap but it is very good bourbon and a portion of the proceeds goes to help track and study pelagic predators like White sharks, which is pretty cool.

It's actually not very good, especially considering the price. Most of the Jefferson's stuff is overrated. The only stuff that's fairly good is the Groth, and I think it's overrated at MSRP $75, let alone places like NYC where they mark it at $99 and over.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

I need to reinstall BF4. This thread is making me realize I miss it.

Big holiday sale means there are loads of noobs like me to own

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Hav posted:

You might have missed that one of their QA guys is the only one that can get the server logs, but as someone who works in networking, there's something vital that they missing in their 'looking at the logs'.

Well he says "i’m the only person on the QA Team". This means to me that there's engineers who can do it and probably do do it but he's the only that can do it in QA. It's pretty much the same in my situation. I'm one of the only people who can read stacktraces and look at service logs to figure out where the failure happened so I can talk with the engineers to help figure out what happened and what needs to be tested for the fix. I'm not THE ONLY ONE but I would say probably one of 3? The real feels for this guy is that from these quotes he's working his little QA heart out and he's probably gonna be looking for a job by the end of the year.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tippis posted:

It means she can do the work of 12 little people. Good news for the next Star Wars film because they have all their droids / ewok scenes sorted with the worlds best actor ever since she was a little girl

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:eyepop:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

A Neurotic Jew posted:

start at 46:40 while trying to maintain your confidence about this project :downs:

"First of all the weapons will change, then all the shields will change, oh then armor will get implemented and that'll change everything, so..."

I wish I understood game development, so I wouldn't come up with ignorant ideas like implementing the armor before you tune everything else.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You keep defaulting to a weird "They SHOULD be able to develop this I mean wtf" argument without actually taking into consideration everything else we've seen or more importantly haven't even seen. Like the engine is still a mess of people clipping through ships, their flight model is completely hosed with ships being almost uncontrollable at time, the ships cant be customized, the fps side of the thing is poo poo and yet they will be able to unfuck all of this and develop a game 20-30 hours long with a poo poo ton of movies in it and loving c.robert micromanaging everything so its absolutely "perfect". All in less than a year.

Even if the game was an actual Crysis clone or mod instead of a frankensteined shithouse its becoming, they wouldn't be able to get it out in a year.

I know my argument is not really sollid but are they realy, really that bad ? I guess the part of me that want this things to get out so we can wreck the whales in game is fighting with tthe rational part looking at the janky tech demo that is the PTU.

But by the Buddha, look at studios like Hare brained Schemes : 40 persons, 4 year old and they managed to fund and release Shadowrun: Hong Kong for 1.2 M in less than a year.

Surely a massive beast like CIG with nearly seven time the staff and 10 time the budget can push out a below average cryengine singleplayer in the same time, no ?

Am i delusional ?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

aleksendr posted:

I know my argument is not really sollid but are they realy, really that bad ? I guess the part of me that want this things to get out so we can wreck the whales in game is fighting with tthe rational part looking at the janky tech demo that is the PTU.

But by the Buddha, look at studios like Hare brained Schemes : 40 persons, 4 year old and they managed to fund and release Shadowrun: Hong Kong for 1.2 M in less than a year.

Surely a massive beast like CIG with nearly seven time the staff and 10 time the budget can push out a below average cryengine singleplayer in the same time, no ?

Am i delusional ?

You absolutely have to factor in Chris Roberts. He is the spanner in the works. Without him, yes, they could probably release something, but from all signs he meddles in every aspect of this in the least efficient way possible.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Guys German entering stream. Could it be ... ?

E: Bah never mind.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 8, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I managed 2 minutes before I had to close it or choke form the laughter.

I'm not entirely sure it was a comedic laughter, or a desperate one, or just one of those Lovecraftian “mind crushed by the incomprehensible madness” laughters…

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Scruffpuff posted:

"First of all the weapons will change, then all the shields will change, oh then armor will get implemented and that'll change everything, so..."

I wish I understood game development, so I wouldn't come up with ignorant ideas like implementing the armor before you tune everything else.

but, somehow, the foundations are now in place and things will start being pushed down the pipe much faster this year. We definitely didn't build this house on a huge desert made of quicksand. :downs:

All three of those guys sound defeated and overwhelmed by the project. I'm always amazed at what slips through on RtV.

quote:

I managed 2 minutes before I had to close it or choke form the laughter.

I'm not entirely sure it was a comedic laughter, or a desperate one, or just one of those Lovecraftian “mind crushed by the incomprehensible madness” laughters…

Keep going until the 51 minute mark.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 8, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If I ever buy this game I will name my citizen Buttflake Snowhurt.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lowtax posted:

I really believe it's about escapism. I, too, have seen how MMO addicts can act, and the one personality trait that seems to link them all together is a desire to escape their own lives and be some powerful and important character in a fictional fantasy world.

Its also why you see them violently react to anything that would displace their fantasy life. It is why reddit responds the way it does to beer, because they are completely delusional and hostile to anything that breaks their fantasy. Its why they take everything Roberts says as gospel. It doesn't matter what evidence you provide, it really doesn't. If Sandi herself provided video of her typing out the emails, they would say she was doing it as a joke. If she said she wasn't, they'd explain it away that she had to do it for PR purposes. It is pointless to engage with them because they are not rational actors. You could have a smoking gun in front of them and they'd still ignore it because Derek Smart or 'Chris Said X'. They not only don't have any critical thinking skills, it is that they actively don't want any. They are simply beyond reason, which is why they stick to themselves because the outside world would (and does) mock them mercilessly. Its going to be a thousand times worse when the story blows up when the game completely fails or fails to deliver, which it will. The likelihood of something decent coming out grows less and less. And the media is not going to be kind to the evangelicals of Star Citizen. They are increasingly being looked at as fools with too much money, even if very tentatively.

I know this gets tossed around a lot but they seriously are just a lot of sad, pathetic middle aged nerds who are caught up in this fantasy of being a space god. Its like the people who buy really expensive poo poo they can't afford because they have no other positive qualities and they think by buying expensive things this will make up for that and people will like them. And it is why these type of people are unlikable and vicious when this fantasy is put into question.

Scruffpuff posted:

That got me thinking - there were several films and animated features years ago, where people got whisked away on whimsical adventures in one fantasy land or another, and all of them had one theme in common, the main character thinking:

"How do I get back home?"

That was practically the entire motivation that moved the story forward. See: Wizard of Oz for a classic example. Now, we have generations of people who look at those same fantasy lands and think:

"How do I get there?"

What the gently caress happened?

Imagine they were the type of nerds bullied in high school. Imagine never leaving that ostracism/siege mentality and retreating inside of your mind for thirty years. Now you have your unwashed Star Citizen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You have to understand, their passion isn't about a video game. It's about the dream associated with that video game heavily reinforced by a massive sunk cost fallacy. Comparisons to faith and religion aren't out of the question. Some people believe in Jesus, some people believe in thetans, and some people believe in Chris Roberts. This has been intentionally reinforced by a marketing scheme designed to focus on that connection and belief. CIG intentionally avoids revealing anything concrete about the game, keeping things as ephemeral and subjective as possible, so that backers will fill in the blanks with what they want the most and subsequently pay for it. That's why two different people can have two completely opposite views on the game and still fund it while expecting their dream to come true. An essential part of that dream is protecting it; the mental construct surrounding Star Citizen is incredibly fragile. That's why people are so aggressive in attacking dissent, and why CIG is so rigorous in purging "toxic" members from their forums. Doubt and faith cannot coexist. Everything must be explained in the narrative of the game progressing well. Frankly it's impressive how well CIG has done it, particularly with respect to vilifying Derek Smart. Instead of ignoring him they turned him into The Enemy, convincing backers that he's such a threat that they should give CIG money in spite of him. Every critic is an alt for Derek Smart. Every negative post an attempt to push his agenda. It's amazing.

Of course there's a very ugly, unpleasant downside to this. Those people really are expecting the most amazing game ever made, and at some point CIG is going to have to deliver it to them. If they deliver something unimpressive and lovely then backers might delude themselves for awhile, and then possibly quit, but there's also a possibility that they get angry. Eventually people will realize that it's not my fault, or Derek's fault, that the game isn't going to be what they dream of. They'll realize it's Chris, Ben, and Sandi's. Or worse yet they'll realize it's their own. How they react when they accept that is going to be incredibly interesting.

The danger is that delusions never implode delicately. Its why when you are dealing with delusional individuals you never, ever indulge the delusion. This is because the fantasy is inevitably bound to collapse, and delusional people tend not to react well when this happens. I think if something is released (and for CIG's sake, something better be), even if it is putrid garbage you will have people just retreat into that continually and justify that people can't understand Chris' vision. Some I think will quietly realize what happened and just vanish. You will have the minority that is violent and sends death threats or even someone who is suicidal over this, since people have put their entire identities in being a Star Citizen. They've spent thousands of dollars on it, evangelized for it, to the scorn of their friends and family and then it turns out they were being played for a fool. Nothing good comes of that. But to be sure, whatever happens, SC won't go quietly.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

You absolutely have to factor in Chris Roberts. He is the spanner in the works. Without him, yes, they could probably release something, but from all signs he meddles in every aspect of this in the least efficient way possible.

Cant they just lock him up in a mocap Studios to "Direct" a few extras while the rest of them squeeze a few hours of real work ?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lowtax posted:

From a sociological aspect, this whole event is beyond interesting. These groups of people, who have essentially attached their entire identity to expensive drawings of spaceships in a video game which may never come out, have created an entirely new reality they inhabit, one where anything that conflicts with their worldview is immediately dismissed and chased away hostily. Any suggestions or insinuations that go against their groupthink is usually never addressed, and simply written off as propaganda by a boogeyman, either Derek Smart or Goons in general, because it's much easier to label somebody as a member of an evil enemy group whose sole intent is to just be evil for some reason.

The concept of getting angry at somebody because of their opinion on a video game totally eludes me, but to some people, it seems to define their lives.

I am just here for the videos, funny pictures, song parodies. and general shits and giggles. No dog in this race, nor have I given any more to any Kickstarter ever (just don't trust them).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper Dan posted:

Its also why you see them violently react to anything that would displace their fantasy life. It is why reddit responds the way it does to beer, because they are completely delusional and hostile to anything that breaks their fantasy.
The thing about MMOs being an escapist power fantasy reminds me of Anders Breivik, the self-radicalized Norwegian terrorist who took a year off from work & life to play World of Warcraft 16 hours a day.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

aleksendr posted:

Cant they just lock him up in a mocap Studios to "Direct" a few extras while the rest of them squeeze a few hours of real work ?

No, because Chris Roberts is an autist and he thinks making a game and movie are the same thing and once he's done 'directing', he's going to want to see the 'dalies' of what everyone has been doing and request constant changes.

Omi-Polari posted:

The thing about MMOs being an escapist power fantasy reminds me of Anders Breivik, the self-radicalized Norwegian terrorist who took a year off from work & life to play World of Warcraft 16 hours a day.

Power fantasies are ok, when they are just fantasy. When you start to devote your entire life to that fantasy over reality, bad things happen. Its like matter and antimatter meeting. It will always end badly.

At the end of the day, you can't escape reality and the mind of these sorts of people do not react well to that fact.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 8, 2016

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

There's a plethora of bad assumptions in thinking that completing the client-side engine plus initial server-side work is the "hard part" and thus the rest of the game should be simple. Sadly, a lot of these bad assumptions are still made by professionals experienced in software development (which is a large part in why software development estimation is so terrible).

ryde fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 8, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Omi-Polari posted:

I wonder if r/starcitizen would rather have a goon or Anders Breivik on their subreddit

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 2, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

Lowtax, I think SA needs a vp of marketing to really gently caress this place up

I am thinking eonwe, but I am unsure of his karate and marine biology qualifications

I don't have either, but I CAN be pretty delusional, if needs must.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Bait and Swatch posted:

Lowtax, I think SA needs a vp of marketing to really gently caress this place up

I am thinking eonwe, but I am unsure of his karate and marine biology qualifications

I support Eonwe too. He's the best shitposter in the world and has been that way ever since he was a little pink calf.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

aleksendr posted:

Am i delusional ?

Harebrained schemes focused first on story and fun, while minimizing costs associated with the rest of game development.

Reuse an engine and majority of assets
Reuse mechanics and lore from an existing franchise
2D low-res aesthetic with a lot of the actions happening in text instead of visually shown.

And it's really good because they limited their scope and just made a loving fun game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:allears:

Did anything recent cause this or is it just in general?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

2DCAT posted:

It's actually not very good, especially considering the price. Most of the Jefferson's stuff is overrated. The only stuff that's fairly good is the Groth, and I think it's overrated at MSRP $75, let alone places like NYC where they mark it at $99 and over.

Well there you go. Honestly you sound like you know more about bourbon than I do, so I'll take your word for it.

However, I will still continue to drink and enjoy my overrated stuff when I get home from work.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I support Eonwe too. He's the best shitposter in the world and has been that way ever since he was a little pink calf.

^
If not me, then Eonwe. I can stop by to lend my expertise in Marine Biology and Martial Arts, when needed.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

:effort:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Berious posted:

I want to fondle a shark

Sheesh. I, personally, don't care if you are a scaly, but just don't post about it, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

A Neurotic Jew posted:

but, somehow, the foundations are now in place and things will start being pushed down the pipe much faster this year. We definitely didn't build this house on a huge desert made of quicksand. :downs:

All three of those guys sound defeated and overwhelmed by the project. I'm always amazed at what slips through on RtV.

Keep going until the 51 minute mark.

Its always laying the foundation on how things will work. Well until it changes the next month to something else, then that is laying the foundation. :shrug:

• Locked thread