Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That centipede fight was loving awful. They had him standing in place for like half the episode. Not only that, but they constantly showed him and the centipede standing dead still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Meh. Gon was just using the raw baseline of his enhancer power in new ways. He didn't really just pop new special attacks in battle. Even his Janken was developed during training with Wing and Biskey.

It was heavily implied (if not outright stated) that Cheetu was just getting new powers unlocked from the nen ability of one of the other ants. He wasn't developing them on his own which is why he was poo poo at using them. (And then died the most ignominious death in the series.)

They said "go to the royal guard to get a nen ability", but I think Pouf was just thinking up the ideas for their abilities and showing how to develop them because he's super smart

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

That centipede fight was loving awful. They had him standing in place for like half the episode. Not only that, but they constantly showed him and the centipede standing dead still.

One thing that pretty much all battle shounen series do a kind of bad job at is displaying the fact that characters are becoming faster/stronger (but mostly faster). For example, the way Gon and Killua are moving around during the Hunter Exam and Yorknew arcs (like that one scene where Killua ping-pongs off the walls when trying to escape or the part where Gon and Killua are trying to escape in the hotel and do all this stuff in 0.5 seconds) appears far more fast and impressive than what we see from them in the Chimera Ant arc. We're told that they're stronger, and (at least in Killua's case) there's a new ability, but when it shows them fighting the Chimera Ants they don't look any faster or stronger than they were at the very beginning of the series. It's more of an issue in the show than the comic, since in the comic you can just sort of imagine that they're doing everything faster than before, but in the show you're actually shown what's happening and it feels dumb to see Killua get knocked aside by an ant that looks to be going maybe 50-60mph when he could instantly tear someone's heart out in the first arc of the series.

This is a relatively minor complaint given that I don't think I've ever seen a shounen do this well, but it would be nice if one did.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Killua instantly decapitates at least 3 Ants in that arc but it only happens after he removes the needle in his head, though. The best part is that he does it with (presumably) just regular Nen reinforcement though and not his Hatsu.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I read up until the end of the chimera arc and then I think there was a dark Continent? I stopped for some reason. How far into it am I?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

RC Cola posted:

I read up until the end of the chimera arc and then I think there was a dark Continent? I stopped for some reason. How far into it am I?

Congrats, you're basically caught up with the manga.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RC Cola posted:

There's a shorter arc after Chimera Ant and before Dark Continent.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Almost done. There's the short election arc (ending with Gon meeting Ging and Ging explaining the Dark Continent), then a handful of chapters of the Kakin succession test and everyone preparing to go to the Dark Continent, then the current hiatus.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember him specifically mentioning that the chains on his fingers are conjured, but he keeps them visible constantly in order to fool people into thinking that they're real and just being manipulated (and as a result not considering that they could be hidden with that one nen skill I forget the name of, In maybe?).

Yeah, people don't know if Kurapika's a Manipulator or a Conjurer for quite a while; Uvo's speculating about it during their fight, and later Shalnark and the other members of the Troupe are likewise considering what he and his powers could be. And yeah, being able to use In to hide his chains is a major advantage Kurapika has and how he captures Uvo.

As for Cheetu, the crossbow was definitely spontaneous on his part. It was also awful, because Cheetu is dumb, but being an ant and stuff gave him a lot of power so he could manage something like that. I think Pouf may have had some ability to grant new powers, but, we never got to see it in action anyway, so.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Reached the Chimera Ants arc in the anime. I'm not 100% clear on how Knuckle's power works. The gist of it:
1. He activates his power, and punches someone. This "lends" them a bit of his aura;
2. Attacks no longer do actual damage, but rather "lend" aura to the one they hit;
3. The target gets 10% compound interests per 10 seconds on the aura they "borrowed";
4. If they go over their maximum amount they bust, and are forced into Zetsu (can't use Nen at all) for 30 days. And are therefore super hosed since we've seen what Nen does to someone powerless, is not pretty.

What I'm not clear on: does the power work in reverse? I mean, if someone lands a good enough blow on Knuckle and repays the whole debt with something left over, is the critter transferred to Knuckle who now has to pay interest, or does it simply disappear and Knuckle gets the leftover as straight damage?

(Yes, I do realise this question is a bit spergy...)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm pretty sure it'd be the latter, otherwise that would mean neither party could hurt each other ever again until someone bust.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mikl posted:

Reached the Chimera Ants arc in the anime. I'm not 100% clear on how Knuckle's power works. The gist of it:
1. He activates his power, and punches someone. This "lends" them a bit of his aura;
2. Attacks no longer do actual damage, but rather "lend" aura to the one they hit;
3. The target gets 10% compound interests per 10 seconds on the aura they "borrowed";
4. If they go over their maximum amount they bust, and are forced into Zetsu (can't use Nen at all) for 30 days. And are therefore super hosed since we've seen what Nen does to someone powerless, is not pretty.

What I'm not clear on: does the power work in reverse? I mean, if someone lands a good enough blow on Knuckle and repays the whole debt with something left over, is the critter transferred to Knuckle who now has to pay interest, or does it simply disappear and Knuckle gets the leftover as straight damage?

(Yes, I do realise this question is a bit spergy...)

I think the debt is paid off and damage is dealt. If you overpay your bank they don't start owing you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Roland Jones posted:

And yeah, being able to use In to hide his chains is a major advantage Kurapika has and how he captures Uvo.

This actually seems a bit silly to me. The idea that an experienced fighter like Uvo wouldn't think to use Gyo when things are even the slightest bit suspicious stretches my disbelief. I mean, he probably didn't go through that exact training that Biscuit did, when Gon and Killua were trained to use Gyo immediately, but it just seems like a standard precaution nen users use regularly. I'd say that fight was just meant to teach the audience how important this is, except for the fact that we already saw the exact same "hidden nen" thing with Hisoka against Castro.

Not to say having the option to hide the chains isn't going to potentially be a tiny advantage, but everyone should be using Gyo in fights constantly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, I think that the surplus just does damage to knuckle.

Knuckle's ability is super good and basically makes him capable of hitting way above his weight class since he only really needs the ability to keep away from his opponents after that first punch, which is probably doable unless your opponent is significantly stronger than you. It becomes even better if he's working in a team and can have a partner get between him and the enemy. It's also extremely useful if he's trying to stall for time, since him and the opponent can just trade blows indefinitely without suffering any damage.

One Nen ability I actually don't like is Killua's Kanmaru thing. It doesn't seem like it's very good for writing into fights; it basically makes him able to 100% beat anyone who isn't so strong that they can flat-out tank his attacks (like Youpi). Its only downside is that he can only use it a limited time and needs to charge it up beforehand, but that's a pretty minor trade-off for such a powerful ability (he just ends up as strong as he was to begin with once it runs out, rather than it having an actual down-side). While it's still possible to put Killua in difficult situations in the sense that he has to ration out his use of Kanmaru and can't just use it on every random enemy, it seems like it will inevitably make any fight where he does choose to use it pretty boring (either he runs circles around the enemy and owns them or he barely does any damage with his attacks like with Youpi, and in either case the enemy can't hit him until his power runs out). It also seems like it makes Killua waaay stronger than Gon (ignoring Gon's suicide adult form thing).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Killua was always stronger than Gon, though. He just didn't slam his face into dangerous situations as much.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oddly enough, Killua is actually slightly better at enhancement than Gon is, based on the little hatsu training exercises Biscuit gave them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Killua was always stronger than Gon, though. He just didn't slam his face into dangerous situations as much.

This is really evidenced by Killua being able to easily stroll through the main entrance of the Zoldyck estate, while Gon had to put in a huge struggle to move the smallest door even a tiny bit.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Knuckle., yeah, he takes what goes over as damage; I'm pretty sure this was even his worry when fighting Youpi, that even a single hit would annihilate the debt and kill him. And yes, it's a shame we never saw him and Shoot fight together because it's probably ridiculously effective, with Shoot harassing and "zoning" the enemy after Knuckle's gotten some good hits in and piled on the debt. It's easy to see how they'd have made a really effective team, however.

Killua and Gon, Killua's better at the fine motor aspects of Nen, controlling his aura and stuff, and he's also just physically stronger, before Nen Enhancement. He'll never match Gon's Rock, of course, but he's always been physically more powerful. Heck, Leorio's also stronger than Gon; don't forget that he was the first one to open the Zoldyck doors and got several doors higher than the others, or the arm wrestling in Yorknew.

Also yeah, Killua's Kanmaru is pretty strong. I think that might be part of why Killua and Gon were written out, really; Gon had finished his arc and Killua had a really good one and stuff, but also, both of them had abilities that we'd seen most of what they can do. Gon's "Jajanken" is extremely simple, being a strong punch, a blade, and a bullet, and Killua has electricity and super speed, with the latter having the issues described where, while it's tense when escaping Illumi and whatnot, in most fights it's kind of hard to deal with when the opponents aren't on the level of the Chimera Ants. I wouldn't be surprised if Togashi felt like he got about everything he wanted out of them and decided to retire them, at least temporarily, while Kurapika and Leorio become the new protagonists.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Clarste posted:

This actually seems a bit silly to me. The idea that an experienced fighter like Uvo wouldn't think to use Gyo when things are even the slightest bit suspicious stretches my disbelief. I mean, he probably didn't go through that exact training that Biscuit did, when Gon and Killua were trained to use Gyo immediately, but it just seems like a standard precaution nen users use regularly. I'd say that fight was just meant to teach the audience how important this is, except for the fact that we already saw the exact same "hidden nen" thing with Hisoka against Castro.

Not to say having the option to hide the chains isn't going to potentially be a tiny advantage, but everyone should be using Gyo in fights constantly.

They can't do that. It's like when they focus Nen into their fist, it draws aura from everywhere else on the body. During the middle of a fight doing poo poo like that can get you killed because you're leaving so many spots open. Besides the whole idea behind what Kurapkia does is to fool them into thinking it's manipulation of chains by having them out in the open, 99% of people just aren't going to question that. Most people are probably going to use Gyo right at the start or if something fishy is happening mid fight, but otherwise they're not going to waste the energy checking stuff out constantly. That's why Kurapikas plan to show his chains was so clever, because he counted on that happening to even the most experienced of Nen users.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Clarste posted:

Double post poo poo ignore

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

But they're also experts at instantly redistributing your aura in the moment it takes to make a punch, or guard a punch. It's not much of a risk to briefly use Gyo is safer moments (like when they were taunting each other).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

He was drunk, angry, and not very bright like Gon. Just look at his fight against the Mob Assassins.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Uvo solved every problem with brute force. It wasn't like he was particularly stupid, but he was strong enough that brute force was enough until he met someone stronger.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's smart enough to get himself out of most predicaments using his brute force in creative ways but also stupid enough to get himself in them in the first place.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Uvo solved every problem with brute force. It wasn't like he was particularly stupid, but he was strong enough that brute force was enough until he met someone stronger.

Well he did not meet someone better then him in brute force. Just someone who was tailor made to beat him.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Ytlaya posted:

One Nen ability I actually don't like is Killua's Kanmaru thing. It doesn't seem like it's very good for writing into fights; it basically makes him able to 100% beat anyone who isn't so strong that they can flat-out tank his attacks (like Youpi). Its only downside is that he can only use it a limited time and needs to charge it up beforehand, but that's a pretty minor trade-off for such a powerful ability (he just ends up as strong as he was to begin with once it runs out, rather than it having an actual down-side). While it's still possible to put Killua in difficult situations in the sense that he has to ration out his use of Kanmaru and can't just use it on every random enemy, it seems like it will inevitably make any fight where he does choose to use it pretty boring (either he runs circles around the enemy and owns them or he barely does any damage with his attacks like with Youpi, and in either case the enemy can't hit him until his power runs out). It also seems like it makes Killua waaay stronger than Gon (ignoring Gon's suicide adult form thing).

I think it's possible to juke his nen with your own, as long as you realize what he is doing. When you enter his preprogrammed space, his nen activates and counterattacks.
The way to do it is to set up a counterattack of your own and forcefully trip his "sensors" with your nen. If he buys the bait you might take a hit but also strike back.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

When Bisky is assessing them, she even notes that Killua is the stronger of the two, with Gon making up for it with sheer bullheadedness or something like that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kild posted:

He was drunk, angry, and not very bright like Gon. Just look at his fight against the Mob Assassins.

Annnnd this reminded me that Uvogin straight up ate a guy's head. Man, he was hosed up. At least the Ants have an excuse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The mob assassins technically got a draw in that fight :colbert: Uvogin would have been hosed if the rest of the Troupe wasn't around to pull out that poison/leeches. Then again, part of what makes the Troupe so strong is the fact that they actively support each other.

Wild Horses posted:

I think it's possible to juke his nen with your own, as long as you realize what he is doing. When you enter his preprogrammed space, his nen activates and counterattacks.
The way to do it is to set up a counterattack of your own and forcefully trip his "sensors" with your nen. If he buys the bait you might take a hit but also strike back.

I'm talking about his "cover his body with electricity and move super fast" thing, not that ability (though that ability is also really powerful). He basically becomes untouchable while using it; even Youpi couldn't hit him.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That's what his fast movement is. His reflexes move faster than his nerve signals, but by definition that means all his movements have to be preprogrammed. Like that, he can only deal with predictable fighting styles.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Genocyber posted:

When Bisky is assessing them, she even notes that Killua is the stronger of the two, with Gon making up for it with sheer bullheadedness or something like that.

Killua is the better fighter but gon has more raw power i think. Which makes sense considering gon was left in the jungle and killua was trained

its a real shame this is never being finished

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

Killua is the better fighter but gon has more raw power i think. Which makes sense considering gon was left in the jungle and killua was trained

its a real shame this is never being finished

That actually doesn't make sense at all (being trained would be pretty much superior in every way except for your jungle survival skills), but from what I can tell there isn't really anything telling us who has more base strength at present. Gon can obviously output more power with his ability, but when fighting normally I would guess that Killua is a bit better all around (though we've been told that Gon only reaches his actual potential during protracted fights, so this might not even be true).

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

That actually doesn't make sense at all (being trained would be pretty much superior in every way except for your jungle survival skills), but from what I can tell there isn't really anything telling us who has more base strength at present. Gon can obviously output more power with his ability, but when fighting normally I would guess that Killua is a bit better all around (though we've been told that Gon only reaches his actual potential during protracted fights, so this might not even be true).

I like the bit with knuckle when he talks about the bluff potential of rock paper scissors. Gon's obviously more powerful overall but its the sort of power that is seriously limited in range and versatility. Its truly a shame we will never get more :toot:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Clarste posted:

That's what his fast movement is. His reflexes move faster than his nerve signals, but by definition that means all his movements have to be preprogrammed. Like that, he can only deal with predictable fighting styles.

No you're thinking of the second part of his ability. Kanmaru has two forms , the one where he just moves really fast and the one where he he can move faster than what his body allows. So against the dartboard ants, he knew what was coming so he does what you said and is able to stop it.

Mostly he's just gonna use it to run fast. They explain this as he's fighting Youpi as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In the long run, not having any downsides beyond it being very painful would probably limit Killua's growth. Just as well for him that there is no long run, then!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He's just going to murder people with his barehands like Illumi probably does.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

In the long run, not having any downsides beyond it being very painful would probably limit Killua's growth. Just as well for him that there is no long run, then!

I think if he fought someone like Hisoka he could be in trouble. Getting trapped, analysed and exposed seems like very real possibilities with his ability.
Because he doesn't really react it can be used against him. and he never fought someone with that level of hand to hand skill.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When you guys keep ending your posts with stuff like "it's a shame that will never happen" and "there won't be a long run" it makes me unironically sad :( Hunter x Hunter is by far my favorite shounen series and it is really depressing that it will likely never end or even resolve a bunch of major character arcs. At least Gon found his dad.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

can't get too excited, it hurts too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gon found his dad and discovered that he was a huge jerk.