Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sandi knows. She's proud of it. More than once she's talked about the "connection" people feel with SC and she credits it as part of the success of her marketing strategy.
Yeah, we're the toxic ones; meanwhile, there's a special bond between Star Citizen fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

:five:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Finally read the thread. The Sandi emails are off the chat pure gold, I wish the ones where she did the CSS tickets for me where on that level.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sandi knows. She's proud of it. More than once she's talked about the "connection" people feel with SC and she credits it as part of the success of her marketing strategy.

And that's exactly why this whole situation both disgust and saddens me. Disgusting for obvious reasons. Saddening though seeing all these people setting themselves up for at the least disappointment and worse potential financial ruin.

And the fact that she holds it up as some example of her shrewd business practices she has clearly perfected since childhood...I just don't have the words.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

at this time I would like to float the idea of securitizing the jpgs and then redistributing those securities

This sounds risky, unethical and quite lucrative. Your only problem would be staying ahead of the .jpeg bubble before it bursts. We don't want to see Star Citizen turn into something that's Too Big To Fail.

Corzen fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 10, 2016

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Scathach posted:

:pgabz:

I don't know what the gently caress.

Wow we identified the biggest bug and major blocker of star citizen that is why it is always getting delayed. Unless they squash that bug this game will go nowhere.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mirificus posted:

You should go all out and buy the Completionist Package for $10,000. That will give you the opportunity to buy a Javelin for another $2,500. Your collection still won't be complete at that point though so you may want to buy some additional ships.

No,

"THE COMPLETIONIST - DIGITAL
- Combo
$15,000.00 USD"

THEN you get the opportunity to buy a Javelin for another 2,500.

You left off a whole five thousand dollars!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hey, SC thread pals. Whats happened in the last 3.8k posts?

I got as far as Sandi and Beers email exchange and a storm of incredible fooseball GIFs.

Did Chris try and play the "game" again?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Scathach posted:

:pgabz:

I don't know what the gently caress.

This is good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Oh holy poo poo ahahaha

this thread keeps delivering!

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

nopantsjack posted:

I got as far as Sandi and Beers email exchange and a storm of incredible fooseball GIFs.

Derek had a mouth frothing rant on a livestream that was pretty good.

E:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

for the peeps who don't want to listen to the whole Open House thing, here's the juicy bits:

Smart going full blast on Sandi.

And the WULGE

there's probably some others but these stood out to me.

Jimb fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 10, 2016

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

nopantsjack posted:

No, go back and read the 3.8k posts like everyone else. You aren't a special snowflake. Unless, You must have a platinum account to read this message

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Darkpriest667 posted:

No, go back and read the 3.8k posts like everyone else. You aren't a special snowflake. Unless, You must have a platinum account to read this message

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Derek, I'm sorry for trolling the hell out of you on usenet when I was 12.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently Polygon did an article comparing Derek's online persona with his real life persona - http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/14/3553620/the-redemption-of-derek-smart

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Google Butt posted:

still laughing at d smart telling that old lady to shut the gently caress up

It's great how she butted in to contribute the nothing statement "remind me never to piss you off :smug:". Owning that lady is actually the best part in a rant full of owns.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Bargearse posted:

Derek, I'm sorry for trolling the hell out of you on usenet when I was 12.

I'm not; alt.fan.elite was his best work.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Actually I am doing it tomorrow!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Moogle posted:

I'm not; alt.fan.elite was his best work.

That was a fantastic newsgroup back in the day. Wasn't it originally run by some modeling agency, then a bunch of Elite nerds found the place and took over?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

peter gabriel posted:

What is it specifically about space games that make them impossible to not be complete garbage?

A lot of reasons, I expect.

Space in reality is really loving boring. It's huge and empty. Traveling from planet to planet would take days. Even if you hand wave light speed / wormholes, the fact is we kind of know how things work up there and it just doesn't make for very interesting or fun gameplay. Dogfights and explosions wouldn't happen.

Players identify with their character. A game where you stop being your character, and start being a ship, is naturally less immersive. It's easier for me to connect with a green elf because it at least has familiar limbs and facial expressions. A ship is just a car; I don't care about it.

Finally, the whole thing is just too big. A normal video game can take place in just one city and be fun. Space sims want us to feel like we're traveling through different galaxies: each one having to model hundreds of planets with thousands of continents and millions of cities. Since that's impossible, the whole experience end up feeling cheap and fake.

I've genuinely been interested in this question for a while. I hate scifi space games and I think the above is why.

Otto Xander
Dec 5, 2013

If anyone else is a fan of Giant Bomb, they had a couple references to Star Citizen in their recent Game of the Year deliberations. On one of the earlier podcasts (Day 1 or 2?), Star Citizen's business plan was called 'predatory,' compared to Elite Dangerous I'll have to go back to find the exact day and time stamp for this one, because it was a couple days ago when I heard it and the details are lost to me at the moment.

If you listen to their Day 4 podcast, Star Citizen was outright nominated in their 'Please Stop' category, for 'Crowdfunded games with ever expanding scopes that never come out.' Check out 45:30 at that link for the first reference, and at around 52:30 for a short discussion on Star Citizen.

The Giant Bomb crew all seem pretty skeptical or crowd funding in general and Star Citizen specifically, so I would love to see some kind of follow up from them this year.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted:

Apparently Polygon did an article comparing Derek's online persona with his real life persona - http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/14/3553620/the-redemption-of-derek-smart

A nice article. It would be neat to see a post "SC drama" version of a similar story.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/312164/dev-ceo-chris-robert-is-like-the-next-bill-gates-of-microsoft

eta:

The guy's "org" "Debt Before Dishonor"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Unfunny Poster posted:

quote:

"It used to bother me, it used to bother me a lot," Sandi says now, of her past as an internet forum brawler. "Do you know how hard it is when you work 18-19 hours a day and you go online and there's some guy trashing your work or trashing you personally because it makes them feel better about themselves? It's very very hard, Russ.

"It is the hardest thing to turn the other cheek, and guess what? If you have an ego, it's even harder because ... it's really hard to suppress that instinct to respond."

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Devourlick/status/685916031290707968

:help:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

3rd highlighted paragraph means pony avatar is a dirty ramming griefer i think

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

I know its easy to skip external links like this when you're trying to catch up with the thread (I know I do) but this is really worth a listen.

'The Open House' gives Derek all the time he needs to have a full on rant about Sandi and I'm sure he felt much better after it, and that aside there's plenty of other interesting stuff.

All the time the chat feed is featured in this video and the Shitizens really pile it on. While IMHO Derek made his points very clearly, few, if any were directly addressed by the detractors. Instead most of them kept bringing up Derek's games in what pretty much amounted to children saying "you're a bigger poo poo head". This kind of made me angry cos I fail to see the relevance.

Well worth a listen and afterwards you'll have Derek's voice in your head to read out each and every one of his posts.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Dowlphin posted:

But it has also been said that Chris Robert has done things no other developer has done at all or perhaps it will never be done again?

WHO? WHO THE gently caress EVER SAID THIS?

Total bullshit

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What accent does Derek have? I have a hard time placing it.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

this is art

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

I would have a beer with Mr. Smart and talk about video games.

:aaaaa:

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

:perfect: hahahahahahaha

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

Unfunny Poster posted:

What accent does Derek have? I have a hard time placing it.

I think he sounds like Chris Eubank (the boxer) without the lisp.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

In case you're unaware he just pretty much lifted that quote straight out of Warhammer 40,000.

Still doesn't mean it doesn't have a bit of truth to it in the case of SC and its supporters.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I wonder if his quote will get him banned from CiGs forums...

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Man even the cultists think cryengine sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ether
May 20, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I wonder if his quote will get him banned from CiGs forums...

Lol, 40K quotes are the bomb (and oddly fitting quite often)

"A small mind is easily filled with faith."
"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

• Locked thread