Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tippis posted:

Yes.

If you like sneaking games, definitely. Especially since it takes a different approach to it by often making the standard crouching and waiting bad for you. It leaves you terribly exposed to some enemies and the alien is programmed to directly counter it. This is a game of speed-sneaking.
If you like Alien, definitely definitely, since it absolutely nails the tone of the movie.
If you like pretty graphics, most definitely, since the whole game is built around immersing you in the visual style and succeeds at every level (and I'm talking actual immersion here, not the SC kind).

No if you want another AvP or Aliens game or if you are “game solver” — the alien AI is pretty nifty but also fairly trivial to deal with if you bother with figuring out how it works (or read up on it).

I watched Aliens a lot as a little kid and still get the odd Aliens nightmare. That and sharks. Time for some pants making GBS threads action. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

Lime Tonics posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaoGxOxzAwc&feature=youtu.be&t=1h50m50s

Stretch goals? Don't talk about stretch goals, stretch goals really?????

Drops mic, and leaves room.

Hilarious awkward giggles mixed with silence when bearded hobo says, in spite of not reading it yet (because NO SPOILERS!!), the script for Sq42 is already starting from a better place than a AAA script "such as Skyfall" - you can just hear the other guys going "um, yep, um... ok... moving on".

Also, how is ship stealing / owning going to work... "dunno - too far away". You have entire packages based on pirating, how do you have no idea, even at a very high level, of how the basic mechanics of stealing and ownership are going to interact?

I've worked at 5 different game studios on 9 different AAA games and I have never seen such disorganization nor lack of idea of how the very intrinsics of the core meta-game mechanics of your game are going to work after so many years of working on the "vision"... as has been said so many times already, this is either all exclusively in CRs head, or they are making this poo poo up as they go along. This will not end well.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Berious posted:

I watched Aliens a lot as a little kid and still get the odd Aliens nightmare. That and sharks. Time for some pants making GBS threads action. :getin:

Just go into it remembering that it is very much Alien and not Aliens. That being said, it has some properly scary moments.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

imperialparadox posted:

Crimson Skies owned, I would play Space-Crimson Skies.

Crimson Skies effing owned, from the tabletop war game to the pc game to the xbox game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Unfunny Poster posted:

They keep asserting there's an ulterior motive by Goons for pointing out CIG took less harsh of a treatment towards that recruitment video with pedophilic content. What that is, other than holding CIG accountable for consistent moderation, is beyond me.

Well, we're prejudiced against the peadophile part of the SC community, y'see...and those are some valuable customers, unlike you unwashed refund-havers.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I think my favorite part of this whole fiasco is that they're not just selling a game, they're attempting to sell a service, but there are no plans to maintain month to month income.

Once this shitshow releases, IF it releases, and people get a whiff of it, do they really think they're gonna pull in as much money as they need to keep the lights on and servers running? So not only are autists funding a non-game, they're not even going to get something they can play by themselves once the servers go dark.

It's a total money pit.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Not only is it a core promise from Kickstarter, but they emphasized the feature after Elite dropped it. Now the community manager just said they won't even think about it until after going live. And nobody is calling them out for it. You even have assholes saying they don't even want private servers.

gently caress this community. They deserve whatever they get.

I figure it's just a preview of future things. I fully expect CIG to crank out a mediocre game in SQ42. Then they'll update the PTU to add a bit, call their legal requirements done and the leaders will vanish. Meanwhile, the fans will continue to assume this is what they wanted, and it will continue to improve. They will convince themselves that this was perfect, exactly as promised.

No one ever wants to admit to themselves that they bought the steel from the Eiffel tower.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Hilarious awkward giggles mixed with silence when bearded hobo says, in spite of not reading it yet (because NO SPOILERS!!), the script for Sq42 is already starting from a better place than a AAA script "such as Skyfall" - you can just hear the other guys going "um, yep, um... ok... moving on".

Also, how is ship stealing / owning going to work... "dunno - too far away". You have entire packages based on pirating, how do you have no idea, even at a very high level, of how the basic mechanics of stealing and ownership are going to interact?

I've worked at 5 different game studios on 9 different AAA games and I have never seen such disorganization nor lack of idea of how the very intrinsics of the core meta-game mechanics of your game are going to work after so many years of working on the "vision"... as has been said so many times already, this is either all exclusively in CRs head, or they are making this poo poo up as they go along. This will not end well.

Knowing that, it makes that communities dissonance even funnier, huh?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Berious posted:

Is Alien Isolation worth playing? Humble Monthly has it at the mo.

Get it. It's one of the better sci-fi survival horror games that's been made. But it's nothing like previous AvP games. Weapons are more-or-less useless in this game, it's a game of stealth.

There's an abundance of atmosphere in the game, and it's incredibly pretty and very tense. Think Amnesia set in the Aliens universe, with an incredible engine. It's also really well-optimized. I was able to play it on my lovely five year old laptop.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Sounds like what an Aliens game should be, if you ask me.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip
My boss just said something about how people ought to play video games to stay out of trouble since they wouldn't be breaking any laws or spending too much money.

Apparently, he's never heard of Star Citizen . . . though, to be fair, that's not a game anyway.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Warcabbit posted:

It is very much the anti-Colonial Marines.
The only truly bad thing about it is that Sega were disappointed by the revenue and nixed any notion of a continuation or sequel.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

That's another thing - Chris doesn't have a loving "vision". His vision is "everything." "I want a space game that has everything." Numbnuts, that's not a vision. Anyone can sit there and say they want a space game with space pirates and space rape and boardings (but not pvp god-forbid) and immersion and just say "yes" to every loving idea brought up on 10FTC. Anyone can do that. That does not comprise a "vision."

CCP had a vision, which is why EVE has a unique story and mechanics backed up by that story. George Lucas had a vision, which is why Star Wars' setting is stylistically iconic. Ridley Scott had a vision so clear the universe they built has been growing for decades, but remained consistent to that vision.

Chris has no vision. He just wants "stuff." Generic "space stuff."

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Warcabbit posted:

It is. I wish desperately that they'd make another one instead of whatever the hell they are doing.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Unfunny Poster posted:

The amount of goal post moving and handwaving this SC guy is doing over proving the inane claims they made is great.

They keep asserting there's an ulterior motive by Goons for pointing out CIG took less harsh of a treatment towards that recruitment video with pedophilic content. What that is, other than holding CIG accountable for consistent moderation, is beyond me. Did I miss a memo from Lowtax about what we're using that for in our quest against SC?
You are all puppets whose thoughts and actions are solely directed by Derek Smart and myself for our own nefarious purposes and financial gain. Keep dancing to our tunes, dance................ TO YOUR GRAVES

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I still wish that Star Citizen would become a real game :smith:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6229922/#Comment_6229922

Also, Alien Isolation is a good game - I actually got to play it with a Rift and it was legitimately scary the first few times the Alien caught you.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

That's another thing - Chris doesn't have a loving "vision". His vision is "everything." "I want a space game that has everything." Numbnuts, that's not a vision. Anyone can sit there and say they want a space game with space pirates and space rape and boardings (but not pvp god-forbid) and immersion and just say "yes" to every loving idea brought up on 10FTC. Anyone can do that. That does not comprise a "vision."

CCP had a vision, which is why EVE has a unique story and mechanics backed up by that story. George Lucas had a vision, which is why Star Wars' setting is stylistically iconic. Ridley Scott had a vision so clear the universe they built has been growing for decades, but remained consistent to that vision.

^^ this. I totally agree, this is pretty much the only way CRs decisions so far can be rationalized.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tippis posted:

It is very much the anti-Colonial Marines.
The only truly bad thing about it is that Sega were disappointed by the revenue and nixed any notion of a continuation or sequel.

To be honest I don't know if I want an endless stream of Alien Isolation games - the risk/siren song of feature bloat could turn it into another colonial marines after relatively few iterations - each one with more aliens and more weapons to neuter the threat.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lowtax posted:

You are all puppets whose thoughts and actions are solely directed by Derek Smart and myself for our own nefarious purposes and financial gain. Keep dancing to our tunes, dance................ TO YOUR GRAVES

This is true

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Has anyone got that pic of the support team watching star wars and eating pizza?
It is imperative that I get this document. A future photoshop depends on it

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

double nine posted:

To be honest I don't know if I want an endless stream of Alien Isolation games - the risk/siren song of feature bloat could turn it into another colonial marines after relatively few iterations - each one with more aliens and more weapons to neuter the threat.

You know the Commodore 64 version of Aliens was probably the last time I played a good video game adaptation of that second film. I wish I were kidding. You'd think it would be so easy to make. Each time they announce a new Aliens game, like an rear end I hop right in, and get blasted in the face with disappointment.

Alien Isolation, however, was excellent. My only complaint was that it ran a little long. Normally I don't mind a long game, but around the 75% mark I stopped caring about the alien or anything else, and it became a slog. Still wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who likes a game dripping with atmosphere.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

Has anyone got that pic of the support team watching star wars and eating pizza?
It is imperative that I get this document. A future photoshop depends on it

Yup

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 11, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

double nine posted:

That's true enough. I think it's maybe more a case of wanting to see more of the world and not letting that sweet engine go to waste. It could conceivably be fun to do what it did but more in respect to Alien³: even fewer or at least more rudimentary tools, but more friendlies to do stuff with and using the environment as your main “weapon.”

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

You know the Commodore 64 version of Aliens was probably the last time I played a good video game adaptation of that second film. I wish I were kidding. You'd think it would be so easy to make. Each time they announce a new Aliens game, like an rear end I hop right in, and get blasted in the face with disappointment.

Alien Isolation, however, was excellent. My only complaint was that it ran a little long. Normally I don't mind a long game, but around the 75% mark I stopped caring about the alien or anything else, and it became a slog. Still wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who likes a game dripping with atmosphere.

Alien Trilogy for PS1 was pretty okay, even if it fell into the vanilla "run backwards and shoot stuff" playstyle for a while.

I enjoyed Isolation but what I really want is a great Aliens game, which I fear will never actually be made.

Maybe someone could reskin Dead Space 2?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Yessir!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

I don't hate this guy because him saying "one of the five of us will be dead" before private servers are released is just funny as gently caress.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

Alien Trilogy for PS1 was pretty okay, even if it fell into the vanilla "run backwards and shoot stuff" playstyle for a while.

I enjoyed Isolation but what I really want is a great Alien[b]s[/s] game, which I fear will never actually be made.

Maybe someone could reskin Dead Space 2?

AlienDoom. :D

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

100% owns a katana

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Not only is it a core promise from Kickstarter, but they emphasized the feature after Elite dropped it. Now the community manager just said they won't even think about it until after going live. And nobody is calling them out for it. You even have assholes saying they don't even want private servers.

I've honestly never seen something like this. It is the dumbest, most sycophantic community I have ever seen in my life. It combines every bad quality of fanboy into it along with the mentally ill. It is laughable that Chris and Sandi think they somehow cultivated this rather than bumbled into it. It reminds me of people who think they are financial geniuses because they effectively won the lotto and then act surprised when they end up dead loving broke a few years later.

That's why this is pure schadenfreude, these people are some of the stupidest, most vile people around and there is nothing that makes you feel bad when they eventually get theirs.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I honestly never cared much for the private servers, so I am indifferent (apart from them breaking their words). Drop in co-op on the other hand for SQ42 - screw them for going back on their word when it comes to this.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
A buddy of mine has a DK2 and he said Alien: Isolation was almost too intense

Which makes me realize that if I was a crewmember on the Nostromo I woulda shot myself out of an airlock as soon as the chestburster popped out

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

wyoak posted:

Which makes me realize that if I was a crewmember on the Nostromo I woulda shot myself out of an airlock as soon as the chestburster popped out

I stopped playing it in the Rift, it was so over the line of Not Being Fun any more it actually began to piss me off how full on it was.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

angryjoe is such a fucklord

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
angryjoe will endorse anyone who pays him to play their game

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lol if you know who that guy is and or willing to click play on his videos

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

You rear end in a top hat. You're single-handedly destroying the dream. You DO realize that they're actively looking for your account, right? I wouldn't be typing in chat when making videos if I were you.

ps: You're going God's work.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris wants "space stuff that works like it should (in his head)".

IMHO, this is the top list of things CR (as of these days) cares about with SC/SQ42:

1) Success
2) A gaming classic
3) Directing Hollywood talent in a script he's co-wrote
4) Space ships
5) Immersion
6) Hollywood noticing him again
7) Depth
8) Art and ascetic
9) Functionality
10) What everyone else thinks of him (fans/press)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

For real, what's the loving agenda in calling out CIG for letting a pedo poster stick around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

wyoak posted:

I remember seeing some videos of a demo station they had set up before it came out where people played it in this pitch black noise-proof pod with surround sound and one dude basically poo poo his pants and tried to fight his way out of the thing. It was great.

Tippis posted:

AlienDoom. :D

It basically was, but god drat did I love it.

• Locked thread