Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

I think you can also just give the package to the Administrator and get the pass, which should be the fastest way.

This is true. You can even convince him to let you "impound" the package, then use it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

My Q-Face posted:

I liked that enemies had tech abilities and could cast overload on you, which a lot of people took to be the game bugging out because they couldn't shoot any of their weapons and never put two and two together. It's the same thing with enemies having Warp and Fire effects in ME3MP.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that biotics and tech skills could be used by the enemy added to the strategy aspect but making snipers able to one shot you in a game that had waaaaaaaay too few autosave flags and (depending on which system you're playing on) load times that are atrocious and you have one of many reasons why people don't like playing Mass Effect 1 as much as 2 and 3

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Aces High posted:

Don't get me wrong, the fact that biotics and tech skills could be used by the enemy added to the strategy aspect but making snipers able to one shot you in a game that had waaaaaaaay too few autosave flags and (depending on which system you're playing on) load times that are atrocious and you have one of many reasons why people don't like playing Mass Effect 1 as much as 2 and 3

The worst part of that was that snipers could kill the Mako.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Brutalist architecture is cool and in fact not lovely, Subponticate. :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Brutalist can be cool but here it's just an example of lovely corporate soulless design :colbert:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

My Q-Face posted:

in one shot? :stare:

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Love how disgustingly powerful that shotgun comes across.

Also here are some awesome brutalism pics for you to feel oppressed at: http://fuckyeahbrutalism.tumblr.com/

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

hard counter posted:

in one shot? :stare:

I think about five. On insanity It only takes one or two to take down your barriers completely. I forget, it's been a while, I just remember being very shocked when it happened, and then happened again.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
This one always take Liara to Novaria simply because while everyone else pulls guns in that scene in the hanger Liara just gets all biotic glowly and stares them down.

Liara's pretty badass even this early.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

YOTC posted:

Liara just gets all biotic glowly and stares them down.

That's why you play an adept. Lift, throw, launch geth into orbit, rinse, repeat. They trivialize insanity difficulty

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah.... My problem with the Mako isn't its controls or that letting one wheel touch orange ground instantly kills you, it's that the Mako happens to be armored with paper mache. You spend most of the time in your tank dodging enemy attacks. EXP benefits aside, it's safer to be on foot for most of the game

E: I just noticed something really unsettling about character models in ME1, close ups have the "Galadriel Effect", where there's a bunch of lights reflected in the characters' eyes to make them look more ethereal.
But it is EVERY close up on Asari and Humans. It's really creepy, like their eyes are glued on the outside of their bodies...

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 8, 2016

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Haha I never noticed that line from Wrex "You know what we do to crooked cops on MY planet?"

Nothing, Wrex. There are no cops on Tuchanka. It's a barren radioactive wasteland filled with loving rear end in a top hat thresher maws.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MA-Horus posted:

Haha I never noticed that line from Wrex "You know what we do to crooked cops on MY planet?"
"The same thing we do to everything else." *BLAM*

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

MA-Horus posted:

Nothing, Wrex. There are no cops on Tuchanka. It's a barren radioactive wasteland filled with loving rear end in a top hat thresher maws.
I mean, I guess you could be flexible with your definition of 'cops' when you're talking about Tuchanka

Corrupt Chieftains probably don't fare well either

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

On the PS3 over the weekend, I caught SubPonticate online in Mass Effect and wondered if the user is online pop-up would show up in the LP edit?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

My Q-Face posted:

On the PS3 over the weekend, I caught SubPonticate online in Mass Effect and wondered if the user is online pop-up would show up in the LP edit?
I've never seen it show up in any recordings, so maybe it's something the game capture doesn't record, I dunno.

Episode uploading but YT being hosed up as usual tells me it'll be another hour and a half so expect it sometime in the morning.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
loving Batarians

Doing the DLC Bring Down the Sky. A mined-out asteroid is hurtling towards Terra Nova and we have to stop it before it smashes into the planet. This always sort of amuses me due to the way they describe it. "You've got 4 hours to turn off the torches and stop its acceleration." I'm no Neil Degrasse Tyson, but I think the way space works is that since there isn't any friction just turning them off isn't actually going to do fuckall as it will continue on the same course until it smashes into the planet anyway. And then there's the planet's gravity well on top of it. :science: I guess as long as it's going the same speed the planet will have moved out of the way by then or someone fixes it prior to impact. Also Bioware has a problem with proportion and they wanted to show off their nice skybox so it looks like it's going to smash into the planet in 10 minutes anyway.

We land to find a bunch of filthy Batarians are responsible and now we gotta kill them. If you never played ME Batarians are the galaxy's equivalent of orcs, though with a bit more brains. They are slavers and pirates and assholes generally. They used to participate in galactic politics. Then humans showed up and we started fighting over territory and so they asked the Council to intervene. Probably because of the aforementioned being assholes the Council ignored them so they pulled up their pants and went home. In our world state they are responsible for killing Shep's parents so she has a good reason to not like them personally. Their government's official title is the Hegemony. Out in the world you'll run into some cool Batarians and it's mostly their government that sucks. Think of a four-eyed version of North Korea.

You get some pretty good tech poo poo from this, mainly omnitools (I said amps, oops). The turrets suck and so does having to drive all over the place trying to find random crap, the torches themselves are pretty easy to spot.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't even know there was DLC for ME. :psyduck:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SubponticatePoster posted:

You get some pretty good tech poo poo from this, mainly omnitools (I said amps, oops). The turrets suck and so does having to drive all over the place trying to find random crap, the torches themselves are pretty easy to spot.

The Omni-Tool you can get from the guy at the end is the strongest type in the game by an absurd margin, the equivalent Amp requires the Serrice Council license and a whole lot of luck, or Pinnacle Station and a whole bunch of save scumming.

Or Console commands :ssh:

Transmogrifier posted:

I didn't even know there was DLC for ME. :psyduck:

There's two, Bring Down the Sky, which Bioware made free for all PC Players, included in the GOTY edition for 360, and just always included in the PS3 release. The other is Pinnacle station, which is harder to get your hands on. The only place you can still buy it independently is from the 360 marketplace, and it's included in the PC Version of Mass Effect Trilogy, but it was never ported to the PS3 because "The source files were irreparably corrupted".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Really, you're not missing much of anything by not getting to play Pinnacle Station. It's incredibly boring, the reward is mostly cosmetic, and it has no further relevance in the sequels.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

There's two, Bring Down the Sky, which Bioware made free for all PC Players, included in the GOTY edition for 360, and just always included in the PS3 release. The other is Pinnacle station, which is harder to get your hands on. The only place you can still buy it independently is from the 360 marketplace, and it's included in the PC Version of Mass Effect Trilogy, but it was never ported to the PS3 because "The source files were irreparably corrupted".

Interesting. My friend bought me ME1 and 2 for PC back in 2013 but I didn't play them until this summer.

Regalingualius posted:

Really, you're not missing much of anything by not getting to play Pinnacle Station. It's incredibly boring, the reward is mostly cosmetic, and it has no further relevance in the sequels.

I am not so desperate to satisfy my curiosity to suffer playing through the first game again.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Regalingualius posted:

nah, the real reward is high-end omnitools, amps, and armor that are otherwise stupidly difficult to get. They're also completely optional in the sense that the game is easily, easily winnable without them, and the requirement of "finish Pinnacle station" means the cost:benefit is not worth it. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

And if you're on the PC you can just console them into your inventory. Hell you can console yourself achievements too so you can actually get the benefits of the Ally achievements without actually needing to do EVERYTHING in the game three or more times.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Regalingualius posted:

It gets a callback in 3 :haw:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

It gets a callback in 3 :haw:

It also gets an infinitely better replacement in 3.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I don't think anyone has ever said, "Think I'll boot up Pinnacle Station for some fun." Whereas Armax is fun as poo poo.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I like to think that the engineers' "overheat the poo poo out of somebody's weapon" ability was one of the reasons why the galaxy's various militaries switched to thermal clips in Mass Effect 2.

Then again, weapon lore in the Mass Effect series has always been a bit weird. I'm guessing that when Bioware's writers were first hashing out the Mass Effect universe, the decision was made that the weapons would be futuristic, but not lasers. That was easy to work out for the spaceships; hell, in Mass Effect 2 the writers even went back to point out that the death ray that Sovereign used in Mass Effect 1 was not a death ray despite all appearances but actually a giant stream of superheated metal flying at light speed or whatever.

Small arms were trickier. Conventional small arms were out; pew pew laser guns were also out. What Bioware settled on was the kinetic accelerator -- a gun that shoots bullets but does it really futuristically you guys. Despite being projectile weapons, the guns in Mass Effect never run out of ammo because instead of having individual cartridges there's a big ol' hunk of metal inside the gun, and every time the gun is fired a bunch of equipment inside of it shaves off some of the metal, shapes it into a bullet sized according to gravity and distance to the target, and launches it down the gun barrel using ~magnets.~ Guns thus can fire thousands of bullets before they need to be reloaded, and are limited only because all that fancy apparatus generates a lot of heat, which has to be wicked off, and heat sink technology is a little behind the times compared to everything else.

Mass Effect 2 explains that shortly after the geth invaded the Traverse, they decided that the built-in heat sinks were inefficient and made them detachable instead. Every military in the galaxy adopted this shortly thereafter, and now weapons refuse to fire at all unless they have a cool heat sink, and the heat sink doesn't cool down at all unless it's detached from the gun, at which point the heat sink is usually red-hot and spewing smoke. Technological progress! :shepface:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There are actually concrete and good gameplay/game design reasons for why they switched (whether or not they "should have" is another question, but at least it was a thought-out change) but the in-universe explanation was garbage, yeah.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The thermal clips actually eject chunks of synthetic diamond which cools the gun. That's actually a problem modern firearms have with caseless ammo; the brass in conventional ammo carries heat away from the gun and the open action allows venting. Caseless makes the whole drat thing heat up like crazy.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

IIRC originally guns in ME2 were going to cool down over time like ME1 but you'd also have the reload option to lose the clip in exchange for more dakka right now if you really needed it ASAP. That would've been a great idea and I'm sad they dropped it.

Of course the reloads only being needed as heat sinks raises the question of where the gun gets its reactant energy from to accelerate thousands of shots off a block of metal. You're totalling millions of joules of delivered kinetic energy without any replacement. If the eezo cores powering the guns are that compact and energy-dense why wouldn't you just shave off bits of that to fire at your enemy and make every machine gun a machine grenade launcher? :black101: But without completely breaking game balance, Bioware did an above-average job of rationalizing something that wasn't boring old firearms (caseless or not) or boring old lasers/phasers/blasters in their fictional universe.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 11, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Psion posted:

There are actually concrete and good gameplay/game design reasons for why they switched (whether or not they "should have" is another question, but at least it was a thought-out change) but the in-universe explanation was garbage, yeah.

I love how the series takes a pot shot at everybody calling out the in-game explanation by having Conrad Vernor point it out and having Shepperd shut him up.

I have a feeling that Bioware doesn't know how to take criticism at times.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Well it's all a moot point because you can get the Lancer with Citadel in ME3 and throw an upraded heat-sink on there and have all the dakka you want at your fingat-tips.

Also I chuckled at "Batarian Terrorist, but I repeat myself." Kill 'em all.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Psion posted:

I don't dispute that there were good gameplay reasons to move to a traditional ammo system; keeping the overheat mechanic well-balanced and fun would have been tricky.

wiegieman posted:

The thermal clips actually eject chunks of synthetic diamond which cools the gun. That's actually a problem modern firearms have with caseless ammo; the brass in conventional ammo carries heat away from the gun and the open action allows venting. Caseless makes the whole drat thing heat up like crazy.

That's actually pretty neat, and synthetic diamonds are apparently already in use today as heat sinks due to having very good thermal properties. Didn't know that!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Of course the reloads only being needed as heat sinks raises the question of where the gun gets its reactant energy from to accelerate thousands of shots off a block of metal. You're totalling millions of joules of delivered kinetic energy without any replacement. If the eezo cores powering the guns are that compact and energy-dense why wouldn't you just shave off bits of that to fire at your enemy and make every machine gun a machine grenade launcher? :black101: But without completely breaking game balance, Bioware did an above-average job of rationalizing something that wasn't boring old firearms (caseless or not) or boring old lasers/phasers/blasters in their fictional universe.

Eezo doesn't generate electricity, what Eezo does is manipulate mass. Putting an electric current through the Eezo core creates a negative mass field (the titular Mass Effect) reducing the bullet to an infinitesimally small amount of it's actual mass. The drivers in the gun fire off that bit which then resumes it's full mass as soon as it leaves the field. The fact that they still need heatsinks should tell you they're traveling really loving fast

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kurieg posted:

Eezo doesn't generate electricity, what Eezo does is manipulate mass. Putting an electric current through the Eezo core creates a negative mass field (the titular Mass Effect) reducing the bullet to an infinitesimally small amount of it's actual mass. The drivers in the gun fire off that bit which then resumes it's full mass as soon as it leaves the field. The fact that they still need heatsinks should tell you they're traveling really loving fast
To put it another way, you could shoot eezo at something for some pretty gnarly sci-fi weirdness, or you could use eezo to shoot millions of kilojoules of bullets at millions of targets while only using a fraction of the energy to do so.

I was always kind of weirded out that the guns never reloaded in ME1 since they were shooting stuff. But oh well, mass effect.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

According to the codex you basically just shove a hunk of metal in the grip before the mission, and that's enough to last you because you're really just hurling slivers of material at a small enough fraction of C that you aren't causing a nuclear explosion hitting the atoms in the air, or driving your stock through your shoulder with every trigger pull.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I got adjusted to it enough that in ME 2 I lamented having to reload my previously-murderguns.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Also I chuckled at "Batarian Terrorist, but I repeat myself." Kill 'em all.

I never really got how batarians were written in the Mass Effect games until I realized that they were space orcs. They have all the elements of being the chaff race that you're not supposed to feel bad about massacring in droves, which is important because oh boy some of the DLC of Mass Effect 2.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I always felt like the varren were the not-orcs.

Kurieg posted:

Eezo doesn't generate electricity, what Eezo does is manipulate mass.

Argh, I complete forgot. :eng99: Haven't played in a few years.

Kurieg posted:

According to the codex you basically just shove a hunk of metal in the grip before the mission, and that's enough to last you because you're really just hurling slivers of material at a small enough fraction of C that you aren't causing a nuclear explosion hitting the atoms in the air, or driving your stock through your shoulder with every trigger pull.

Not even before a mission, it's more like you change the ammo block every once in a while as a part of maintenance. Feels like it's treated more like replacing a worn part instead of just reloading. Wrex once fought a battle over a few days until he finally does deplete his gun. He had to pick up an enemy weapon since apparently switching ammo is more involved than changing a heat sink.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Varren are the Kobolds. "BREAK FANS!"

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I never really got how batarians were written in the Mass Effect games until I realized that they were space orcs. They have all the elements of being the chaff race that you're not supposed to feel bad about massacring in droves, which is important because oh boy some of the DLC of Mass Effect 2.

It helps that slavery is so heavily ingrained into their culture that they view the council races as discriminatory for outlawing it. And the fact that they were so angry that the council wouldn't declare that the entire Skyllian Verge(which was the very large region of space between human and Batarian territory) was sovereign Batarian Territory, that they withdrew from the Citadel and declared war on humanity.

The Batarian's reaction to humanity showing up in the universe was "Fantastic, a decent slave race that isn't on the council". They also made a habit of bombing their own peace negotiations to make the other side look bad.

They're not specifically Orcs, but you're definitely not supposed to feel too conflicted about killing them. There are still a bunch of humans you kill in this game, otherwise GO GO GO, ENEMIES EVERYWHERE, and I WILL DESTROY YOU wouldn't be etched into my memory with acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Krogans could also be considered space orks in a sense, especially if it wasn't for dudes like wrex, grunt or eve/bakara.

• Locked thread