Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone know the future of cat? I've got an account there but as I have nzbs.org it's just a backup. Interested to know if there's rumblings of them going to paid or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does anyone know the future of cat? I've got an account there but as I have nzbs.org it's just a backup. Interested to know if there's rumblings of them going to paid or something.

What do mean? They already offer VIP accounts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Paid only, to be precise. Like nzb.su did.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Paid only, to be precise. Like nzb.su did.

The forums aren't very active but their FAQ says their happy with the VIP system they have now. So who knows what will happen.

If you want a totally free indexer with high API access, there's always Drunken Slug. But you're under the whim of the dude who runs it as a hobby.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds fine to me for a backup then. I'll remember to log in every now and then just in case they prune for inactive.

Hopefully nzbs.org will keep going as solid as it has done for years.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nzbs.org go dark at times, but if you change your favourite to link to /search instead of the domain it will take you to the login page.

They do a good job of hiding and im OK with the little inconvenience if it means they stay free and continue to be good.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Is anyone having trouble adding shows to Sonarr? Workaholics wasn't updating (new season missing) so I deleted it and tried re-adding but it can't find it. Tested searching for any random show and it doesn't work either

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
It took about 45 seconds to load the search results for a new show, but it did work.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

The TVDB has been squirrelly as gently caress the past few days so just give it a little time and try again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've added a few shows without issues beyond having to refresh the search page once or twice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just moved into a new house. I reset up my whole internet shebang. Sane router, same iMac, etc.

Sonarr won't start anymore and I can't manage to figure out why.

Actually it may have worked last night and maybe it has to do with the OSX firmware update. Not sure...

Any ideas as to what may be a likely culprit?

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
Is there a command line search tool for binsearch or nzbclub? Has anyone written anything like this? Or would I have to write something to do this?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Is the recommended provider list in the OP still accurate? I'm conscious that the post was last edited in 2012...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Anyone having issues signing into their free xs Usenet accounts to reactivate it? Old pass won't work and password recovery isn't either.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Whelp I just looked at my supernews transfer stats and figured out I could have saved about $300 bucks in the 6 years I've had an account with them if I'd gone with a block provider instead. RIP ounce of dank nugs I'll never smoke

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You got me curious so I priced it out. In 7 years I've done 11TB of transfers. With Supernews I paid roughly $900. With a decent block provider I would've paid $1000+ unless I only used black friday deals or coupon codes. My first block provider went out of business so stocking up there would've been kinda lovely.

I guess if you're only doing 100GB or less a month then a block provider probably makes more sense.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

You got me curious so I priced it out. In 7 years I've done 11TB of transfers. With Supernews I paid roughly $900. With a decent block provider I would've paid $1000+ unless I only used black friday deals or coupon codes. My first block provider went out of business so stocking up there would've been kinda lovely.

I guess if you're only doing 100GB or less a month then a block provider probably makes more sense.

Yeah there are some bumps where I discover a new show and proceed to download 6 seasons of HD episodes but for the most months it hovers at 30-70gb (and 3 months that were <10gb, which was surprising) as SB/Sonarr grabs currently airing shows. For the most part I prefer to use HDB to grab movies since I use that site it to discover films anyway and plus their internal releases seem to have noticeably better quality than the usenet releases

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Kaiho posted:

Is the recommended provider list in the OP still accurate? I'm conscious that the post was last edited in 2012...

I'm in the same boat, would love to know if the OP info still stands as accurate.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

I'm in the same boat, would love to know if the OP info still stands as accurate.
It's due for an update, but the short version in differences are:

- There's now a good set of alternative software options. If you don't like SABnzbd, try nzbget. If you don't like Sickbeard, try Sonarr. I wouldn't consider anything a "clear" winner, mostly because each option is pretty good. (Sickbeard gets some hate, but personally it's still chugging along fine for me.)

- There's an assload of new indexers, but indexers have gotten to a point where they're pretty much all interchangeable. Just find a Newznab-based indexer you can actually get into that doesn't cost a jillion bitcoins to keep a decent number of API calls, but don't be surprised if it suddenly folds one day with zero notice.

- Providers are still pretty much all equal. No prices have changed, no new providers have popped up, no major quality shifts have made one provider better or worse than another. The only thing that's really changed is that they all suffer from the same problems of aggressive DMCA takedowns. Pretty much if you're not automatically downloading something within days or hours of it being posted, you're probably going to be disappointed in Usenet.

- SABnzbd 0.8 is happening Real Soon Now. We're basically on release candidates now. A ton of stuff has been updated, but the big one is the all-new default UI, which is fully responsive and actually usable on mobile.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

The Gunslinger posted:

Well, why write off Black Friday deals? IIRC NewsgroupDirect's standard deal is $80 for 2TB. So, $480 for 12TB. I guess it helps if you use 2TB or less per year and can buy it incrementally every BF - then you're not out so much money if God forbid they suddenly disappeared one day.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Well, why write off Black Friday deals? IIRC NewsgroupDirect's standard deal is $80 for 2TB. So, $480 for 12TB. I guess it helps if you use 2TB or less per year and can buy it incrementally every BF - then you're not out so much money if God forbid they suddenly disappeared one day.

Annual unlimited downloads to Astraweb or Usenetserver are $95. If you download a lot, I'd go for one of those and block fill if you find missing data only.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've been living almost entirely off of black Friday deals, mostly the Frugalusenet $40/yr unlimited and Blocknews/Tweaknews blocks. If you're using Sonarr/Sickbeard, there's not much reason to spend more per month for thousands of days retention. Frugal is at 600 days now, and Blocknews/Tweaknews are sufficient to fill in broken/old stuff as needed.

And the only reason I switched from Sickbeard to Sonarr was better handling of failed downloads, and naming issues handled by TheXem through Sonarr.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One thing I wish sonarr did was show you when it was going to use thexem and what you need to name a file to fill a specific missed episode. Nothing worse than accidentally overwriting a good episode because you don't realise the season tag is different between scene and tvdb.

I keep meaning to suggest this on their site.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

inpheaux posted:

It's due for an update, but the short version in differences are:

- There's now a good set of alternative software options. If you don't like SABnzbd, try nzbget. If you don't like Sickbeard, try Sonarr. I wouldn't consider anything a "clear" winner, mostly because each option is pretty good. (Sickbeard gets some hate, but personally it's still chugging along fine for me.)

- There's an assload of new indexers, but indexers have gotten to a point where they're pretty much all interchangeable. Just find a Newznab-based indexer you can actually get into that doesn't cost a jillion bitcoins to keep a decent number of API calls, but don't be surprised if it suddenly folds one day with zero notice.

- Providers are still pretty much all equal. No prices have changed, no new providers have popped up, no major quality shifts have made one provider better or worse than another. The only thing that's really changed is that they all suffer from the same problems of aggressive DMCA takedowns. Pretty much if you're not automatically downloading something within days or hours of it being posted, you're probably going to be disappointed in Usenet.

- SABnzbd 0.8 is happening Real Soon Now. We're basically on release candidates now. A ton of stuff has been updated, but the big one is the all-new default UI, which is fully responsive and actually usable on mobile.

Thanks for the refresher.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sonarr development is very active and the feature set has rapidly expanded, to me it is clearly superior to Sickbeard at this point. The only real knocks against it are a weird backlog implementation and it's .NET roots. Failed download handling is great, it includes torrent support and much more. I would not recommend anyone installing Sickbeard nowadays when they can run Sonarr instead.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

The Gunslinger posted:

Sonarr development is very active and the feature set has rapidly expanded, to me it is clearly superior to Sickbeard at this point. The only real knocks against it are a weird backlog implementation and it's .NET roots. Failed download handling is great, it includes torrent support and much more. I would not recommend anyone installing Sickbeard nowadays when they can run Sonarr instead.

The .NET roots isn't really a knock against it unless you are one of those *nix freaks that hates Microsoft with a holy passion. I guess they had a stronger argument back when the only choice was using Mono but now that .NET is open sourced and an official version of .NET is getting released on OS X and *nix systems I don't buy the argument that having your technology based on .NET is a bad thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

xgalaxy posted:

The .NET roots isn't really a knock against it unless you are one of those *nix freaks that hates Microsoft with a holy passion. I guess they had a stronger argument back when the only choice was using Mono but now that .NET is open sourced and an official version of .NET is getting released on OS X and *nix systems I don't buy the argument that having your technology based on .NET is a bad thing.

.NET is good, but it's still pretty difficult to get things running on many *nix systems.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

xgalaxy posted:

You read way too much into that. It's just more difficult to get running at the moment is all I meant. I don't care if its coded in Java or made with Scratch, its just a question of how easy it is to deploy. I run Windows on my server so it doesn't bother me but a lot of people run *nix variants on NAS.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Heners_UK posted:

Anyone having issues signing into their free xs Usenet accounts to reactivate it? Old pass won't work and password recovery isn't either.

I had to create a new account about a month ago because I had the same issues.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've spent about $400 on Usenet block accounts in 8 years. I don't use it enough to go on an unlimited monthly plan.

It's cheaper than subscribing to any legit mainstream service, that's for sure.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I think I chew through around 30GB to 60GB a month. I am paying for 2 unlimited providers + 1 block provider. I'll probably cut back to 1 unlimited provider in the near future though. I can't remember why I ended up getting 2 unlimited providers and I agree that it is probably a bit excessive.

EDIT: Sorry meant GB not TB :D

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 2, 2016

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

xgalaxy posted:

Is this alternative to Mono that you're talking about available right now? Because if not then your argument is basically "you can't say this software runs like poo poo because another runtime will be out soon and it's official so I'll just disregard what you're saying".

The fact is that we're stuck with a huge bloated RT for now, C# performance on *nix platforms really is suboptimal. While Mono isn't as bad as it was in the past that still doesn't mean it's good.

Not that Python is good for performance either, but I'll go with the lesser beast whenever there's a choice. Outside of manual release selection I'm not aware of Sonarr offering anything that SickRage can't do

Now NZBGet instead of Sabnzbd I can understand for performance, but last time I tried it wouldn't join split files on completion, so I just went back to what works and still does its job without causing any incidents. Don't fix what ain't broken, etc

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
But Sonarr via Mono doesn't have any performance issues. Realistically, linux users should weigh the choice of SB vs. Sonarr the same as a Windows user would. Which one do you like using better? They both just work. I've gone to a CPU throttled docker container for my Sonarr install just because, and that runs smoothly, too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xgalaxy posted:

There's also some people just don't like having to install a pile of extra libraries and a whole runtime just for one program. Python is pretty widely used and is installed by default on most major distros, so odds are on a non-appliance device you already have it there. .NET probably isn't on most *nix boxes. This is the main reason I avoided it for as long as I did.

Now after getting used to Sonarr I think it's worth it, but if Sickbeard caught back up or some new alternative sprung up that didn't require .NET, Java, NodeJS, or any other runtime that I have no need for otherwise I'd certainly be considering switching back.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I tried sonar but it didn't work exactly the same as sick beard does out of the box and couldn't be arsed trying to get it there when the only real benefit is that sonar looks slightly nicer.

I mean the whole point of sickbeard and friends is that you set them up and never use them anyway as they are supposed to be doing all the legwork automatically. Outside of adding a show or grabbing another season I never view the UI and it's super simple to use anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Laserface posted:

I tried sonar but it didn't work exactly the same as sick beard does out of the box and couldn't be arsed trying to get it there when the only real benefit is that sonar looks slightly nicer.

I mean the whole point of sickbeard and friends is that you set them up and never use them anyway as they are supposed to be doing all the legwork automatically. Outside of adding a show or grabbing another season I never view the UI and it's super simple to use anyway.

The main benefit of sonarr is that it handles failed downloads...Sickbeard doesn't at all.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Will be attempting to set all this up on my imac. Still learning the ins and outs of the apple os on a desktop and not looking forward to this at all.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Tide posted:

Will be attempting to set all this up on my imac. Still learning the ins and outs of the apple os on a desktop and not looking forward to this at all.

I set it all up on my dad's MacBook and I have almost no experience with OS X. It wasn't bad. I had to ask him some dumb questions like "where is your startup folder" though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sabnzbd installs like a normal app. Sickbeard needs a bunch of work to get it going. Sonarr doesn't.

And I don't really encounter failed tv downloads as my Mac wakes up just before prime time releases are hitting the servers and grabs them. Movies are more frequently failing but if I can't get a copy off Usenet I generally just use torrents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I recently switched ISPs, and my new one seems to be throttling port 563. I turned off SSL in SABnzbd and set the port to 119, and my speeds immediately went up (from < 1 MB/s to 9 MB/s). Is there any real security risk keeping SSL off? If so, do I have any other options?

Edit: Looks like I spoke to soon. Downloads occurring now are back to < 1 MB/s. Maybe they're doing traffic shaping during more peak times? I'll just mention that Speedtest.net gives me 60 mbit or higher, but that may not mean anything.

canyonero fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 7, 2016