Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
You should run some monitoring programs that log to disk while you play, check if CPU/GPU looked weird if it happens again.
I had a semi-similar issue when my PSU was failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

You should run some monitoring programs that log to disk while you play, check if CPU/GPU looked weird if it happens again.

Yeah, and mine had a habit of suddenly shutting off that turned out to be the motherboard or CPU.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Dunno about a waterblock but you're absolutely going to need a liquid cooler of some kind. The 295x2 was a fantastic card, for what it was. It's way, way more efficient than a pair of 290X's (>100W) and it was way cheaper than going custom-loop.

I disagree. Those are sunk costs for a 600W-class card. The extra disconnect connector costs you approximately nothing in bulk. Jumping to a 240mm or a 680mm is probably another $5 or $10 manufacturing cost in bulk.

That's actually a fantastic idea and I would love to see that.

You're forgetting all the extra steps that have to be added to the production line to add those quick disconnects, every extra step permanently adds a noticeable amount to your manufacturing costs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

PirateBob posted:

When playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate my PC suddenly restarted (or tried to, it reached BIOS then reset again). That's not a GPU issue, right? Or could it be a lack of power to the GPU? I was running a moderate OC with only +105% power.

edit: What's the best OC util for a 970? I'm using Zotac Firestorm because I got a Zotac, but I should be able to use any other, right?

As mentioned, that is frequently a PSU issue

Afterburner seems like the most popular tool

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You're forgetting all the extra steps that have to be added to the production line to add those quick disconnects, every extra step permanently adds a noticeable amount to your manufacturing costs.

Jesus, the quick disconnects EK uses retail $5-15 each.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Jesus, the quick disconnects EK uses retail $5-15 each.

Did you even read what I posted? It's not about materials cost, it's about the extra steps, equipment and possibly employees that need to be added to a factory production line for those quick disconnects to be added to the product, not to mention the higher defect rate that adding it undoubtedly adds to the final product.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Did you even read what I posted? It's not about materials cost, it's about the extra steps, equipment and possibly employees that need to be added to a factory production line for those quick disconnects to be added to the product, not to mention the higher defect rate that adding it undoubtedly adds to the final product.

Yes, i was just pointing out there is a material cost as well.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Malloc Voidstar posted:

gently caress, I can't play anything without a sudden reset after a short time now. I disabled "automatically reset on system failure" in the control panel now. I never had this problem before replacing my 660 with a 970. My PSU is a 600 watt, 80+ cert beQuiet, and I don't have much connected to it. 2 SSDs, 1 HDD, sound card, GPU, that's about it.

The only other change I've made is install Nvidia's hotfix 361.60 driver. Anyone had trouble with that one?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
How old is your PSU? They start failing after a while (depending on quality of build)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PirateBob posted:

gently caress, I can't play anything without a sudden reset after a short time now. I disabled "automatically reset on system failure" in the control panel now. I never had this problem before replacing my 660 with a 970. My PSU is a 600 watt, 80+ cert beQuiet, and I don't have much connected to it. 2 SSDs, 1 HDD, sound card, GPU, that's about it.

The only other change I've made is install Nvidia's hotfix 361.60 driver. Anyone had trouble with that one?

I have the same issue with my 970s on a known good PSU. I can mitigate it a fair bit by changing the Fan profile to be more aggressive in MSI afterburner, but one game will always cause this for me and that's Alien Isolation.

Your 970 isn't a Zotac is it?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah. My 2500K idles at 1.6GHz. You can disable those features, but it seems pointless to do so, as any even slightly heavy load pegs it at the full turbo.

I'd imagine most people leave speedstep on.
I just got a Haswell and it pretty much just chills at 790MHz most of the time. Even when I'm playing cards, browsing and listening to music, it doesn't even hit 2GHz. I just came from a C2Q, so seeing such low clockspeeds was kind of jarring. I knew speedstep was a thing, but I didn't know how aggressive they've gotten with it over the years.

Anyway, I'm trying to grab me a GTX 970 for cheap, and the evga b-stock units that have the non-poo poo cooler are never in stock. I think I'm gonna grab this model with the 15% off from jet.com, it brings it to about 260. I know ZOTAC isn't regarded as a premium brand or anything, but the customer reviews generally look good. I just wanted to run this by the experts before I pull the trigger.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Haswell is a gigantic improvement over sandy bridge, as far as cpufreq is concerned.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah it is. I was also unnerved when it just chugs along at 800 mhz at first but after playing with cstates for longer than I'd like to admit I never saw a single downside to it

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

See also why despite processors not actually gaining much power, mobiles are enjoying huge growth in capability.

And in mobile you're leaving performance on the table if you keep clocks high all the time, because an underutilized cooling system doubles as a heat reservoir that you can use to absorb heat over what it can dissipate continually. Modern power state stuff is really the most exciting part of current CPU performance gains (which makes me guardedly optimistic about desktop Zen). On desktop what dies it matter if you've got a kilo of metal and ugly rear end fans hanging off the socket.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Welp, that's enough to make me switch it to the MSI 4G. $266 and $289 will look about the same to my wife when she checks the bank statements anyway, just so long as it's under 300. :)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

I have the same issue with my 970s on a known good PSU. I can mitigate it a fair bit by changing the Fan profile to be more aggressive in MSI afterburner, but one game will always cause this for me and that's Alien Isolation.

Yes it is a Zotac. Regular model with 2 fans, not one of the AMP models. Why? I never saw any trouble mentioned in reviews.

What is the problem, overheating? I thought that caused artifacting, not sudden resets if the whole computer. And if you turn up the fan speed it's less likely to happen?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 14, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Laslow posted:

Welp, that's enough to make me switch it to the MSI 4G. $266 and $289 will look about the same to my wife when she checks the bank statements anyway, just so long as it's under 300. :)

This issue is somewhat common with some games and 970s. Alien Isolation and Grim Dawn (of all things) are the two I remember recently. I took a look at both of my cards (Zotacs) and I noticed that one of them has some pretty serious scorching around the back of the GPU. My guess, at least for me, is that one of my cards over heated in a bad way and caused some damage which is why I get the occasional power off or black screen issue.

PirateBob posted:

Yes it is a Zotac. Regular model with 2 fans, not one of the AMP models. Why? I never saw any trouble mentioned in reviews.

What is the problem, overheating? I thought that caused artifacting, not sudden resets if the whole computer. And if you turn up the fan speed it's less likely to happen?

I think it's a heat issue, but more to do with the cards power control circuitry and not the GPU itself. I've had good luck running the fans on the default MSI fan profile and forcing adaptive vsync globally. I have the same card.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 14, 2016

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

This issue is somewhat common with some games and 970s. Alien Isolation and Grim Dawn (of all things) are the two I remember recently. I took a look at both of my cards (Zotacs) and I noticed that one of them has some pretty serious scorching around the back of the GPU. My guess, at least for me, is that one of my cards over heated in a bad way and caused some damage which is why I get the occasional power off or black screen issue.

I think it's a heat issue, but more to do with the cards power control circuitry and not the GPU itself. I've had good luck running the fans on the default MSI fan profile and forcing adaptive vsync globally. I have the same card.

What made you think of the Zotac's power control circuitry? Is there somewhere I can read more about this? I'm wondering whether this is enough of a problem with Zotac especially that I should seek to swap it for a different model, or will I just run into the same with other 970s :confused:

Dogen posted:

How old is your PSU? They start failing after a while (depending on quality of build)

It's almost 6.5 years old.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Definitely replace. The rec in PC building thread is when your warranty is out, which for something nice like a seasonic gold is 7 years. Although maybe your problem is a known issue with Zotac 970s? But I would still replace the PSU.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Dogen posted:

Definitely replace. The rec in PC building thread is when your warranty is out, which for something nice like a seasonic gold is 7 years. Although maybe your problem is a known issue with Zotac 970s? But I would still replace the PSU.

Yeah, good idea.

But if it were merely a power supply problem, wouldn't the computer reset immediately when the GPU needed max load? It happens after 5-15 minutes, even in lighter games.

Edit: still happens after setting temperature target to 70 C (down from 79) and adjusting the fan speed to start spinning harder, earlier.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 14, 2016

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I have the same problem with FO4 even though I can run loops of firestrike, valley and furmark without problems. No other games cause restarts either. It is very strange.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Seamonster posted:

I have the same problem with FO4 even though I can run loops of firestrike, valley and furmark without problems. No other games cause restarts either. It is very strange.

With what card?

edit:
Ordered a new top of the line EVGA gold standard 750W PSU. Let's see if that helps this piece of poo poo, coil whine havin rear end Zotac 970.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PirateBob posted:

What made you think of the Zotac's power control circuitry? Is there somewhere I can read more about this? I'm wondering whether this is enough of a problem with Zotac especially that I should seek to swap it for a different model, or will I just run into the same with other 970s :confused:

It's almost 6.5 years old.

Educated case on my part based on temps, what causes the crash, and where the scorch marks are. In your case it's probably your PSU.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

I went from a 670 to a 970 and was blown away by the performance. In your case, probably like going from a Honda Civic to a Lamborghini.

You were NOT kidding.

I'm playing ARK, I know it's not optimized worth a poo poo, but I went from 40-60 fps at 1/2 resolution and everything on low medium to 40-60 fps with the epic preset which is just ridiculous. I feel like I've gone from playing Turok 64 to a modern game!

GTA V already looked good, can't wait to crank that up a bit more and get some more eye candy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Got my second 290. Booted into safe mode, uninstalled Afterburner, ran DDU, rebooted, installed drivers, rebooted, installed Afterburner. Everything looks good, Catalyst sees the second card, so does afterburner, CrossFire is on... but all the stats for the second 290 in Afterburner's hardware monitor graph are zero.

Is this normal? Haven't touched CrossFire since the HD 5000 series.

e: According to GPU-Z this second (ASUS DirectCU II OC) 290 has 2816 shaders, not 2560, so, uh, it's actually a 290X? The box says 290. WTF?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Got my second 290. Booted into safe mode, uninstalled Afterburner, ran DDU, rebooted, installed drivers, rebooted, installed Afterburner. Everything looks good, Catalyst sees the second card, so does afterburner, CrossFire is on... but all the stats for the second 290 in Afterburner's hardware monitor graph are zero.

e: According to GPU-Z this second (ASUS DirectCU II OC) 290 has 2816 shaders, not 2560, so, uh, it's actually a 290X? The box says 290. WTF?

Zero Core should be turning off the slave GPU when it isn't under load, try a game.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Aha, yep, that did it. Fired up the ARMA 3 launcher and the second GPU sprang to life. loving cool.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rosoboronexport posted:

Yes, surely Nvidia could have engineered 3 GB ram on 256-bit bus or 4 GB ram on 384-bit bus. Last time that was engineered we got GTX 970 and its 3.5 GB. Granted if someone can pull off mismatched memory buses and memory sizes, Nvidia can (worked well with GTX 660/660Ti) but there would be gnashing of teeth and pickaxe sharpening if they were to do it in enthusiast cards.

Yeah, and? If they had cared to, they could easily have engineered those cards with wider busses. They don't, because it's a form of planned obsolescence.

AMD managed to have 384-bit cards in the same generation as the 680, and 512-bit cards in the same generation as the 780. And compared to NVIDIA's design teams, AMD is operating on the metaphorical equivalent of a pizza and a couple interns. Heck, they actually managed to put 2 GB on a 384-bit card (with a partially disabled memory bus).

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Not that I see the point of nvidia adding more ram and wider busses than was necessary like 3 years ago, but comparing bus width numbers with anything outside of the same architecture and brand is fruitless.

But in any case neither company is ever going to futureproof designs (im assuming what this is about?) for years ahead - because it will cost more per unit, which is a whole can of worms for marketability for the model. If it's not very useful at the time of release why would they pay more, and thus charge a customer more, for features like that? If someone was selling an 8 gb 970 today that'd be laughable, even if three years from now its technically "usable". Saying stuff like they should have added wider memory buses to cards two generations back for Reasons makes no sense.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

And compared to NVIDIA's design teams, AMD is operating on the metaphorical equivalent of a pizza and a couple interns.

The pizza is in charge. The interns technically work for her.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Not that I see the point of nvidia adding more ram and wider busses than was necessary like 3 years ago, but comparing bus width numbers with anything outside of the same architecture and brand is fruitless.

But in any case neither company is ever going to futureproof designs (im assuming what this is about?) for years ahead - because it will cost more per unit, which is a whole can of worms for marketability for the model. If it's not very useful at the time of release why would they pay more, and thus charge a customer more, for features like that? If someone was selling an 8 gb 970 today that'd be laughable, even if three years from now its technically "usable". Saying stuff like they should have added wider memory buses to cards two generations back for Reasons makes no sense.

On the other hand, like I said, the 7950 had 3 GB and the 290 has 4 GB. Heck, the 390 has 8 GB. AMD cards are more future-proof and cheaper than NVIDIA cards, with the exception of Fury (which had a legit technical reason they couldn't put more on the chip).

That's my point - it's a shame that NVIDIA follows a policy of planned obsolescence with regard to memory, because in actual game performance the 680 and 780 Ti remain great cards. But 2 GB is no longer enough for even a lower-midrange card in 2016, and 3 GB is questionable at the upper-midrange too. Meanwhile, its AMD contemporaries (the 7950 and the 290) remain unqualified good performers and good bargains because they're decently provisioned.

NVIDIA is always skirting the edge of how much will just barely be enough for a year or two. The 980 Ti is one of the few times there's really been an NVIDIA card with what I'd deem a sufficient amount of memory except for the Titan series. The other example is the 6 GB version of the 780, which is basically the equivalent of the 390's 8 GB in terms of being absolute overkill for what the card could realistically use (bus width aside, 6 GB would have been just fine for the 390). Shame they never made a 780 Ti with 6 GB of VRAM, but I guess it would have cut ~*too far*~ into Titan/Tesla sales even if they gimped the DP performance.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 15, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

A number of 290s released within the first 6 months of their lifecycle just had cores softlocked for sales volume, you might have one of those lucky winners

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

A number of 290s released within the first 6 months of their lifecycle just had cores softlocked for sales volume, you might have one of those lucky winners

I think a decent fraction did later even as yields went up for market segmentation reasons.

I'm gonna go check.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I have one; it is for sale.

(There's a dude a few days ago who was interested, sorry dude I need to email you - I've been lazy)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

El Scotch posted:

(There's a dude a few days ago who was interested, sorry dude I need to email you - I've been lazy)

Can you link your thread? I'm interested too.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I have a 3GB 580 and it certainly helped with GTA5, even with such an old GPU. Were there really no 680s with more than 2 gigs?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

El Scotch posted:

To it was me nickxcom@gmaillol I had forgotten

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Laslow posted:

I have a 3GB 580 and it certainly helped with GTA5, even with such an old GPU. Were there really no 680s with more than 2 gigs?

I had a 4GB 670 right up until a few months ago so they must have, even if it wasn't the "standard" SKU.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

On the other hand, like I said, the 7950 had 3 GB and the 290 has 4 GB. Heck, the 390 has 8 GB. AMD cards are more future-proof and cheaper than NVIDIA cards, with the exception of Fury (which had a legit technical reason they couldn't put more on the chip).

That's my point - it's a shame that NVIDIA follows a policy of planned obsolescence with regard to memory, because in actual game performance the 680 and 780 Ti remain great cards. But 2 GB is no longer enough for even a lower-midrange card in 2016, and 3 GB is questionable at the upper-midrange too. Meanwhile, its AMD contemporaries (the 7950 and the 290) remain unqualified good performers and good bargains because they're decently provisioned.

NVIDIA is always skirting the edge of how much will just barely be enough for a year or two. The 980 Ti is one of the few times there's really been an NVIDIA card with what I'd deem a sufficient amount of memory except for the Titan series. The other example is the 6 GB version of the 780, which is basically the equivalent of the 390's 8 GB in terms of being absolute overkill for what the card could realistically use (bus width aside, 6 GB would have been just fine for the 390). Shame they never made a 780 Ti with 6 GB of VRAM, but I guess it would have cut ~*too far*~ into Titan/Tesla sales even if they gimped the DP performance.

We just disagree fully about this lol. I hear 6 gb 780 and 8gb 390 and feel like its a serious waste, pure marketing. Yes it might matter when we actually use 6 or 8gb regularly but by then will either of those cards be perform in any reasonable way while using all their vram to justify the initial release? The 6gb 780 was poorly received at best, and the 8gb 390 was a result of *doing anything* to make it different from a 290. Sure though, who wouldn't want more vram than you need at the moment, but that's only going to be viable if both sides behave the same way or you can just undercut the other side by offering a cheaper card that performs better at the time of release.

But either way you look at it there is no way a 390 is a good choice, can we agree on that lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Half the reason AMD went with bigger memory is because it happened when they went for a wider bus.