Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Libluini posted:

I never really got very far because my favourite start gives you almost no money and a ship without weapons. The literally only way to make some starting money I found was selling my shield, getting duplex scanners to see for poo poo and making a long, long treck across the map to find things to loot and sell.

The game does really stupid poo poo when you start like this, like demanding to shoot something in you tutorial when you have no weapon and no money to buy one. :mad:

It was buggy as hell from start to finish, but there is just something magical about starting with a tiny POS ship and getting your own little space empire with cargo fleets, fighters protecting them, mines, production facilities, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Wulfling posted:

I played the poo poo out of TC:AP, and loved it, until I started trying to get into an M7 sized ship. The fuckery I had to go through to get weapons for it, and the tendency for turrets to clip friendlies in big fire fights, thereby pissing off everyone, really killed the later parts of the game for me. Never finished the campaigns because of poo poo like that.

You really have to play X3 with mods. There is a mod that pays off a fine to the people you clip with turrets so you can keep playing the game. The game is completely broken out of the box even with the later expansions.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

It was buggy as hell from start to finish, but there is just something magical about starting with a tiny POS ship and getting your own little space empire with cargo fleets, fighters protecting them, mines, production facilities, etc.

Yeah, when trying one of the easier starts I learned fast I don't actually want to mix building space empires and flying around in a ship. But the game isn't bad, just obnoxious in some aspects. That's why I'm still occasionally playing X3, but overall I like Elite more.

If I want to build space empires, I prefer 4x-games like MOIII (don't ask).

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

fuzzknot posted:

So just put exactly as much effort into playing it as they are into making it. You'll play never because it's never coming out.

ftfy

Nemo2342 posted:

Between this thread and the bitcoin thread, this has been one of the best days on the internet.

Cool, I haven't caught up with the bitcoin thread for a few days because this one moves so fast and I've been a little busy. They're my two favorite threads because there's rarely a lull in the ridiculousness and hilarity and even then, someone will dig up some stuff that I forgot about and it'll blow my mind all over again. They're so similar with all of the cultish behavior and people thinking they're revolutionary when, in fact, they were just discarded as bad ideas by anyone with sense and a basic understanding of the subject. I find it fascinating for some reason. The only downside is they're both where Seraph chooses to post during the hour he isn't permabanned each week.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Libluini posted:

Yeah, when trying one of the easier starts I learned fast I don't actually want to mix building space empires and flying around in a ship. But the game isn't bad, just obnoxious in some aspects. That's why I'm still occasionally playing X3, but overall I like Elite more.

If I want to build space empires, I prefer 4x-games like MOIII (don't ask).

But what do you actually do in Elite? I can't get myself to fire it up again because it feels like everything is completely inconsequential and repetitive...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4127c9/ive_been_wrong_and_pessimistic/

quote:

I've been totally wrong that I didn't expect SC to release this year as proper release.
Lastnight I decided to give 2.1.0 another try and wow was I impressed. Not only does my low/mid end PC (GTX750 Ti , 2nd gen i7) run the game with great visuals (albeit reduced from max).
Finally I didn't fall through my Freelancer \o/
I did a few missions and was well impressed, in fact at one point I was doing the PI mission and got in to the station. It was eerie, just floating around not knowing what to expect, gun out just in case. Then I turned round and saw someone, I flinched and started shooting! I didn't realise it was another player, who ended my life :( After the respawn I apologise in chat, but don't know if he/she read it. I managed to continue the mission.
I have to say I felt at one EVA'ing about and finally got hang of the 6 way direction movement (it's a lot of key pressing) But I had a great time and can't wait for more!!
FaithRestored

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/41261q/i_had_a_dream/

quote:

A dream that I'm flying through the stars, enjoying my time with my space penguin. And then I quit the game for a shower, when I try to log back in, the launcher started downloading 2.1.0.
I freaked out can't believe it's real, but there it is, patch 2.1.0 downloaded, I try to log in, I see the loading screen, next thing I know, I woke up from my dream...
I was in despair, knowing it was just a dream, but I still have a tiny bit of hope that the dream was real. I then proceed to fire up my computer, log into reddit to check on news for SC.
The first thing I saw was "2.1.0 Publish to Live", I can't believed what I just saw... To make sure it was indeed real, loaded up the launcher and yes it indeed was real, it's patch 2.1.0! It's happening, it's here, I felt the deja vu, I shouted with joy, I'm ready.

PC...gaming...is...saved...

Also was the 2.1 big surprise really a fish?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

But what do you actually do in Elite? I can't get myself to fire it up again because it feels like everything is completely inconsequential and repetitive...

I'm mostly collecting info about interesting stellar phenomena to visit, then go explore them. Sometimes I play CQC to fresh things up or do something to help my favourite minor faction, the DIAMOND FROGS.

Of course, if making a 14-week sight-seeing tour through what is essentially a strange digital copy of the real Milkyway isn't your thing, you'll probably have a lot less fun.

And of course, just flying a space ship never really gets old. The same reason why X3 is still on my list of games to play, just way down from Elite.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can't really rag on fans of Elite in the same way that you can laugh at people who are heads-over-heels for SC because Elite fans tend to be pretty frank about that game's faults and admit that they just happen to be in that niche of gamer that really does like that sort of space sim.

Also there's a large group of Elite fans who're sore about having to pay for Horizons after already paying for, like, 75$ KS packages while there's an obsessively vocal core of SC backers who will easily drop a couple hundred on a dumpster fire ship sale just to spite whatever internet bogeyman they've decided to make a scapegoat for CIG's practical and moral failings.

At least Elite fans are smart enough to know the value of a dollar.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Libluini posted:

I'm mostly collecting info about interesting stellar phenomena to visit, then go explore them. Sometimes I play CQC to fresh things up or do something to help my favourite minor faction, the DIAMOND FROGS.

Of course, if making a 14-week sight-seeing tour through what is essentially a strange digital copy of the real Milkyway isn't your thing, you'll probably have a lot less fun.

And of course, just flying a space ship never really gets old. The same reason why X3 is still on my list of games to play, just way down from Elite.

But in X3 you have goals. You know that if you keep trading you'll make enough money to get your own x factory and you can stary producing y, you can build a massive fleet, etc.

In Elite it feels like you play without any actual goals in sight other than visiting another few dozens of slightly different star systems, delivering the same goods from station to station with no influence on the game world (outside of draining the stocks for a few hours until it resets). Fighting in conflict zones can earn you money and reputation, but the conflicts never progress, the entire world is at a stand still.

I was grinding my way through to a somewhat equipped python in hopes that one day I can get back to the game and have some fun with engaging content, but I just don't see it...

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I can't really rag on fans of Elite in the same way that you can laugh at people who are heads-over-heels for SC because Elite fans tend to be pretty frank about that game's faults and admit that they just happen to be in that niche of gamer that really does like that sort of space sim.

Also there's a large group of Elite fans who're sore about having to pay for Horizons after already paying for, like, 75$ KS packages while there's an obsessively vocal core of SC backers who will easily drop a couple hundred on a dumpster fire ship sale just to spite whatever internet bogeyman they've decided to make a scapegoat for CIG's practical and moral failings.

At least Elite fans are smart enough to know the value of a dollar.

In the end even a few $100 is not much if you get long term quality entertainment out of it, be it for Horizons or Star Citizen (though with the latter we're yet to see any quality entertainment). What irks me is that Elite is perfect in so many ways (the massive scale, the absolutely bug-free smooth experience), yet they seem to skimp out on the most basic requirement for a good game: the fun gameplay. I see a lot of fans talk about constantly playing Elite and I really want to get into it, but I just don't know what I am missing - what are all these people actually doing in the game?...

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

But in X3 you have goals. You know that if you keep trading you'll make enough money to get your own x factory and you can stary producing y, you can build a massive fleet, etc.

In Elite it feels like you play without any actual goals in sight other than visiting another few dozens of slightly different star systems, delivering the same goods from station to station with no influence on the game world (outside of draining the stocks for a few hours until it resets). Fighting in conflict zones can earn you money and reputation, but the conflicts never progress, the entire world is at a stand still.

I was grinding my way through to a somewhat equipped python in hopes that one day I can get back to the game and have some fun with engaging content, but I just don't see it...

Thats the reason i stopped again (well, and the good old "video drivers stopped working" error), its just doing stuff for the sake of doing stuff.
Even faction play doesnt really do much for me.
You can alter systems to fit your playstyle better, and then do stuff for the sake of doing stuff more efficiently.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

McDowell posted:

If Squadron 42 comes out as a standalone game I would buy it - just to see how Roberts tries to do FMV/FlightSim gameplay in CryEngine StarEngine

I would download it illegally :twisted:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

What goals? The story is laughable, so I ignore it. The rest is "goals" as in Elite: Whatever you want, really. X3 is basically a heavy industry simulator game hiding behind a flimsy space sim facade. When I play it, I always think building factories sounds neat, but I never get around to do it because it's not my thing.

Elite isn't really the same game if you take that into account. I wouldn't expect to build giant strings of factories in Elite and I wouldn't expect to be able to visit the center of our very own and very real galaxy in X3.

If you actually like the factory-building aspects of X3, Elite probably isn't the right game for you. :shrug:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Libluini posted:

What goals? The story is laughable, so I ignore it. The rest is "goals" as in Elite: Whatever you want, really. X3 is basically a heavy industry simulator game hiding behind a flimsy space sim facade. When I play it, I always think building factories sounds neat, but I never get around to do it because it's not my thing.

Elite isn't really the same game if you take that into account. I wouldn't expect to build giant strings of factories in Elite and I wouldn't expect to be able to visit the center of our very own and very real galaxy in X3.

If you actually like the factory-building aspects of X3, Elite probably isn't the right game for you. :shrug:

Could be, though maybe comparing it to Elite is not the best idea, I did enjoy games that were a lot more like Elite in the past (Privateer, Freelancer, Galaxy on Fire). I guess I just expected more of a progression from ancient games like Privateer or mobile games like Galaxy on Fire with Elite - but in essence there isn't much more to it than basic fetch quests and inconsequential trading. I mean even something as old as Freelancer gave you a bunch of things to do (a full blown story mode, discovering rare derelict ships hidden away, a loot system where you didn't just pick up arbitrary items that act as trade goods but actual rare ship upgrades, worthy co-op gameplay).

What really bugs me is the wasted potential with Elite.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

iron buns posted:

Elevator Citizen

It took me a while to figure out that the game menu is what they refer to as the "Elevator UI". I can imagine an early conversation"well we could have a menu to jump between the different modules" and Chris Roberts going "No, let's make it immersive, we'll have an elevator". Then after people have used it for a few times they get tired of loading the hangar module, just to walk to the elevator and push button to load crappy social or crappy 2.0. So someone says let's put a game menu in, "what'll we tell Chris?", "we'll call it the elevator UI, he never launches the game, he'll never know and it will increase QA productivity by 15%".

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Hows the game? I see it says 2016 release date. Have they announced a quarter yet?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Microwaves Mom posted:

Hows the game? I see it says 2016 release date. Have they announced a quarter yet?

Q5

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

the french in those macros makes my head hurt. Arrêtez, s'il vous plaît!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
In order to become closer to the Star Citizen experience I have shaved my pubes. I feel liberated and high-fidelity.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Why does a space fighter need multibarreled guns? Is heat dissipation a thing in space?
heat dissipation is actually a really difficult thing in space. so much so that a multi-barreled gun is actually a dumb thing because it can't work well enough to be any benefit. there is no air to convect heat, any cooling is either by radiation (which is very slow & inefficient until you get stuff up to the cherry red glow type of temperatures) or by throwing away hot coolant (and therefore limited endurance).

but a discussion of the practical aspects as they relate to "realistic" scifi space war generally becomes a very tedious argument so be warned before you ask to take the thread in that direction

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

:golfclap:

I think the only thing that could make this trainwreck any better (Besides the point when the poo poo hits the fan and Roberts flees to Brazil/goes down in a hail of IRS agent gunfire) is if the Ion Storm comparisons got common enough to draw John Romero out of hiding.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

It looks like some of the background plot in elite is FINALLY heating up, hopefully we can add 'aliens' to the list of things elite implemented before star citizen.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Tormented posted:

Wait I been out of this... where's Ben?

Ben's shaved his beard off , but blinks a hell of a lot more than he used to and has a British accent.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

Ben's shaved his beard off , but blinks a hell of a lot more than he used to and has a British accent.

If you work there tell us you don't but you have a friend who does. Also I hope nobody is accessing SA from a Foundry42 network.

Any more gossip you can share on how hosed the situation is? I don't care if you make stuff up. Also if anyone is reading and wants to leak stuff up but not draw attention to their useraccount, send it to me via a pm and I'll run it through a filter of what I think is funny, possibly add stuff I make up, change things around a bit and might post some of it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Why does a space fighter need multibarreled guns? Is heat dissipation a thing in space?

Very much so. There is nothing for the heat to transfer into so conduction is basically zero. Infrared emission still works as normal but bleeds heat a lot slower than thermal conduction.

Edit: yeah beaten. Never mind.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

EightAce posted:

They've replaced him

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Iglocska posted:

I like it because it can do whatever I feel like depending on my mood.

I can space truck some goods around, I can got out to a RES/Nav beacon and bounty hunt, I can take on some contract missions ranging from space trucking to space assassinating, I can just go out and jump around to random systems to scan and them sell the info or I can just warp around a system checking out signals.

I haven't been playing for long, but now I got a ASP Scout with a nice cockpit with a lot of windows and I just like looking out the windows at stuff sometimes because it's a very pretty game in that sense.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Daztek posted:

Also was the 2.1 big surprise really a fish?

Yes, but it's gone missing.

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/687376675806420993

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Rudager posted:

I like it because it can do whatever I feel like depending on my mood.

I can space truck some goods around, I can got out to a RES/Nav beacon and bounty hunt, I can take on some contract missions ranging from space trucking to space assassinating, I can just go out and jump around to random systems to scan and them sell the info or I can just warp around a system checking out signals.

I haven't been playing for long, but now I got a ASP Scout with a nice cockpit with a lot of windows and I just like looking out the windows at stuff sometimes because it's a very pretty game in that sense.

Yeah, the ASP was probably my favourite ship so far, if you are into exploration you're pretty much set with it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Are they spawning in a better game? Because otherwise I don't think it really matters.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

Very much so. There is nothing for the heat to transfer into so conduction is basically zero. Infrared emission still works as normal but bleeds heat a lot slower than thermal conduction.

Edit: yeah beaten. Never mind.

In Star Citizen, space certainly isnt void, else spaceships would go faster than 200m/s tops...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"@banditloaf That's where the smell is coming from!"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wow I just delved into the comedy of Elite:Dangerous negative reviews on Steam.

Squadron42 posted:

No. Just NO.

I am sick of this marketing nonsense, enough is enough.

1. Why is this DLC marketed as a new game?

2. Why is something that has been marketed to us as "Season Pass" now suddenly "EARLY ACCESS"?

3. A description text like "incredible, connected, player-driven Elite Dangerous galaxy" is a complete joke and a slap to the face. Nothing is player driven, nothing is connected, your galaxy is DEAD AND DULL without any background simulation happening, so stop luring people into this with empty promises.

4. Writing non-existent game features like "Multicrew", "Commander Creation" and "Crafting" in the description box, 10/10, would read again

5. The trailer is extremely misleading because the gameplay is nothing like this. At all.

6. FINALLY: Pricing of this DLC? The worst joke of all. Content worth 10$ inflated to 60$ posing as a new game. Incredible.

Space Engineers just added procedural planets, guess what - FOR FREE.

I´ve had enough.

Other space sims launch with 10 times more features and don´t nickel and dime you for game features behind a paywall and sell it to you through deceptive marketing.

He spent 3.5hrs in the game on record.

:pgabz: I'm having an irony implosion here :pgabz:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Iglocska posted:

Have you ever played a video game before?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

Wow I just delved into the comedy of Elite:Dangerous negative reviews on Steam.

He spent 3.5hrs in the game on record.

:pgabz: I'm having an irony implosion here :pgabz:

I wonder what this totally free "other space sim" is that steam user SQUADRON42 speaks of...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizens get really worked up when someone asks when CIG will add an actual patcher

E: It'd be funny if CIG actually does this to keep player numbers down on their servers

Daztek fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 15, 2016

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Daztek posted:

Star Citizens get really worked up when someone asks when CIG will add an actual patcher

It's ok. Trivial things like bandwidth cost nothing to a company that has so much money. They can always just spool up the clod if need be.

The clod will save CIG!

:yayclod:

:yaycloud:

:smithcloud:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I wonder what this totally free "other space sim" is that steam user SQUADRON42 speaks of...

Haha I know right, but it doesn't stop there:

Rhettorical posted:

I really want to love this game, I really do. Sadly, the devs have caused me to never want to play again. Let me explain the pros and cons.

Pros:
- A vast galaxy to explore. I estimated that in an exploration-fit ship, you'd be able to reach the other side of the galaxy in about 95 hours. That's not including the return trip, and that's assuming you don't stop to scan anything along the way.
- A robust combat system. I'm not sure how you can really get more robust than flying around and shooting things with fixed or gimballed lasers or cannons or rails or plasma accelerators, or homing and dumb-fire missiles, launching chaff, etc.
- Beautiful graphics. This game looks astonishingly good. You certainly won't forget your first black hole or neutron star.
- Simplified flight model. It's not 100% realistic, but that makes for a more approachable flight model. The ships fly like jets in Battlefield, if a bit more responsive.

Neutral:
- Lots of frontloaded content. Your first 20-40 hours will be fantastic. Around 30 hours, you'll start to notice content slowing down. Around 40, things start looking familiar. At 50 hours, everything looked the same to me.
- Ship customization. There isn't a lot of reason to try to come up with a clever build, since the time you waste min/maxing your build equates to about 2.3561 more seconds in combat or 8.65 seconds shaved off your trade route. It's fun to customize, but ultimately pretty pointless.

Cons:
- Lack of depth. People will argue that if you got 50 hours of fun, you got your money's worth, but I find that to be a really dumb argument. This type of game is designed to be fun for hundreds of hours, yet I found myself struggling to find reasons to play after 70 hours, and finally gave up at 100. There just isn't a lot of compelling things to do. It's where the frontloaded content really starts to be a problem.
- Dev response. The devs tend to add things to the game for the sole purpose of checking off a box, like "They want social interaction? Let's add the ability to group up to 4 people at once!" The community wanted guilds, chat channels, etc, and all we got was the ability to add a small number of people in a group at once, provided you're in the same instance. Which reminds me...
- Instancing and the P2P model. This is what really kills this as a multiplayer game. Let's say you're trying to track down another player. You find him, interdict him, and start shooting. He activates his warp drive and heads off to the next system over. You follow him, but when you drop into the system... he's not there. You know he has to be there, he's not in the previous system, and this is the only system close enough to warp to. So where is he? Welcome to instancing.
- Solo/Private Group play. Not that it exists (though the fact that Solo is not offline is bothersome), but that it affects Open play (multiplayer). There's a background simulation that affects the landscape of the galaxy (PowerPlay is one such system). This is influenced by player interaction. You could work together with people in Open, aligned to the same faction, to flip a system to another power's control. But, you can also do this in Solo or Private Group play as well. This means that you can successfully complete objectives without worrying about players attempting to stop you.

The biggest problem, however, is that the devs seem to have a grand vision of what they want their game to look like, and are willing to pursue that wholeheartedly at the expense of the players. They do not listen to criticisms, and the community itself is absolutely terrible when it comes to accepting critiques of the game.

The upcoming $60 "expansion", which is really just a Season Pass that grants access to all of the updates to be released in 2016, along with the announcement of additional "expansions", also likely $60, is what finally killed it for me.

But, if flying around in space is what you want, and you're not willing to wait for No Man's Sky or Star Citizen... I guess it's a good game. For $45, I'd say it's worth it. Just know that you can get more depth by spending $20 on a kiddie pool at your local department store.

Gosh those unfeeling devs with their poor depth and instancing. At least this guy spent over 100hrs in the game but...just wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Haha I know right, but it doesn't stop there:

Gosh those unfeeling devs with their poor depth and instancing. At least this guy spent over 100hrs in the game but...just wow.

quote:

Your first 20-40 hours will be fantastic.

What a disaster!

• Locked thread