Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kerbtree posted:

Stat growths are different per-class and your personal pawn might be totally wrong if you swap out, though.

The stat growths are completely ignorable and you can beat the game just fine without ever knowing they exist. They only matter if you care about min maxing, and I'm not sure why anyone would because it's a singleplayer game and you can just level past everything no matter how unoptimal you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Digirat posted:

The stat growths are completely ignorable and you can beat the game just fine without ever knowing they exist. They only matter if you care about min maxing, and I'm not sure why anyone would because it's a singleplayer game and you can just level past everything no matter how unoptimal you are.

Do Blast Arrows still break the game? I remember nuking Daimon with those back on Dark Arisen on PS3.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I'm not going digging for it, but there's an image for Dragon's Dogma showing the damage output for a specific attack, and the difference between the optimized build and someone who just stuck with the same class is hilariously small, like a few hundred points out of ~20,000. It's nothing to worry about.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm just worried nobody will wank my simple mage pawn. I upgraded him but he lost his heal spell so I changed him right back because I didn't want to keep chugging down potions and stuffing me face with moss.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'm just worried nobody will wank my simple mage pawn.
Sounds like you styled him after yourself a bit too accurately.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Calaveron posted:

GTA's writing fails now both because it's trying too hard on really obvious jokes and that reality has far surpassed the silliness it strives for.

gta's always been a bipolar series. they want to be michael mann films and fratboy comedies at the same time. i think the series could benefit by having a blank slate character you create like in gta:o and letting that be the protagonist.

RyokoTK posted:

I wonder if I'm in the minority, because I really liked driving around in GTA 5. The mechanics are really solid and the world is nicely detailed and pretty, so zooming around listening to the radio was inherently satisfying in a way.

i like driving in the game. i hate that driving somewhere is part of the objective just so you have to hear the exposition while you're on the way to shoot guys or steal something.

that's the problem with the series. they haven't really innovated the core design, they just got better at garnishing the game with cutscenes and pretty locales.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Sounds like you styled him after yourself a bit too accurately.

hahahah holy poo poo.

I'm not changing that.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The melee challenges in Dying Light are completely terrible. "Grapple 15 zombies into spikes!" Great, this wouldn't be a problem if grappling worked only 25% of the time, and spikes are static objects you need to kite the slow as gently caress zombies towards. "Break 25 legs with a baseball bat!" gently caress off, the camera keeps snapping up to a headshot every time I line up a swing, and the attack turns into an overhead smash when I'm standing over an enemy, even if the enemy is already dead and I'm not trying to hit it. Also the enemies show up in packs, so the only way around this is to kite the enemies further away from their spawns. These challenges would be fine and fun if I had more control over my character, but as it is, I'm actively fighting the game to get these things to work. They're infuriating.

Inco has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Jan 18, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'm just worried nobody will wank my simple mage pawn. I upgraded him but he lost his heal spell so I changed him right back because I didn't want to keep chugging down potions and stuffing me face with moss.

I'd think mage pawns would probably be the single most in demand type since they're the healer class.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

I'd think mage pawns would probably be the single most in demand type since they're the healer class.

IIRC they aren't that good for that because there's a limit to where magic can heal you so you need items regardless. My healer certainly sucked but maybe I messed him up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

well why not posted:

What's really funny to me is that GTA games try so hard to be serious games, but Rockstar literally covers every available inch of the game with silly puns and word humour. For an 'American' setting, some of the background gags sure do read like lovely UK comedy jokes. I wonder which one of Mrs. Browns' Boys works for Rockstar North?

This is definitely my biggest problem with GTA's presentation by now. The game is realistic enough in its presentation and mechanics, and it tries to have a slightly more believable criminal anti-hero storyline, and then it has these incredibly juvenile South Park jokes all over the place in the background. They made more sense in the earlier GTAs, because those were more arcadey and cartoony, but now it's too realistic and could probably stand to scrub some of that off.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I don't even remember much of the radio from GTAV. Certainly nothing funny. I think the last one I played that had funny radio was Vice City Stories.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ChogsEnhour posted:

If it's any consolation, pawn ranking and gifts are broken right now anyway. You won't even know if someone uses him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Digirat posted:

a singleplayer game

Rented pawns, man. What if the majority of the playerbase are min/maxers who will look at my pawn's stats and see I didn't level my fighter pawn as a warrior for 150 levels and have the stats to prove it? (this is why I have a heal/buff pawn since stats don't matter too much there)

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'm just worried nobody will wank my simple mage pawn. I upgraded him

May I suggest making "him" a "her" :v:

Deified Data posted:

If it's any consolation, pawn ranking and gifts are broken right now anyway. You won't even know if someone uses him.

This is what is dragging down dragma for me right now. I gave away so much wine to newbie pawns that their owners will never get :saddowns:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Just remembered another one about GTA4/5. When there's a chase mission and a truck or bus--frequently one that never spawns in the game otherwise, like a truck carrying pipes---just straight up turns at a 45 degree angle in front of you, so on your first run of the mission you crash into it and lose the guy you're chasing. You always have to do these missions at least twice to get it, and even then you have to be a good driver AND remember where the truck/bus spawns.

Also, the motorcycle controls in 4 are so loving horrific. Any bump in the road and you go flying 50 feet in the air and then it takes you a whole minute to get up, get on the bike again, so you end up failing the mission. They fixed this in 5 but omg 4 made me want to murder someone in any of the motorcycle missions.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Thin Privilege posted:

Also, the motorcycle controls in 4 are so loving horrific. Any bump in the road and you go flying 50 feet in the air and then it takes you a whole minute to get up, get on the bike again, so you end up failing the mission. They fixed this in 5 but omg 4 made me want to murder someone in any of the motorcycle missions.

The crashes are hilarious though. Flying 100 metres down the road and wrapping your leg around the top of a lamppost.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Death Zebra posted:

IIRC they aren't that good for that because there's a limit to where magic can heal you so you need items regardless. My healer certainly sucked but maybe I messed him up.

While that's true, the maximum to which they can heal you back up goes down pretty slowly. Even if you get knocked down from full to 1%, you can still usually be healed back up to ~90% or thereabouts. That stretches the amount of time you can go without another form of healing by a huge amount. My main pawn is a healer, and usually by the time my max hp get low enough to matter I'm through with whatever quest or dungeon I'm in and can just teleport back to rest up to full at an inn.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

gta's always been a bipolar series. they want to be michael mann films and fratboy comedies at the same time. i think the series could benefit by having a blank slate character you create like in gta:o and letting that be the protagonist.

I don't think they need to go back to the blank protagonists of the first games. My favorite main character is Tommy Vercetti because he's the only protagonist they've written that actually wants to be a part of the story. Everyone else is always getting dragged in to a life of crime and it doesn't make sense in a game series that used to give you bonus points if you took out an entire group of Elvis impersonators at once.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

Just remembered another one about GTA4/5. When there's a chase mission and a truck or bus--frequently one that never spawns in the game otherwise, like a truck carrying pipes---just straight up turns at a 45 degree angle in front of you, so on your first run of the mission you crash into it and lose the guy you're chasing. You always have to do these missions at least twice to get it, and even then you have to be a good driver AND remember where the truck/bus spawns.

I thought they fixed the motorcycle thing in The Lost and The Damned. Which I never beat because jesus was it a bummer of a plotline.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rodbeard posted:

I don't think they need to go back to the blank protagonists of the first games. My favorite main character is Tommy Vercetti because he's the only protagonist they've written that actually wants to be a part of the story. Everyone else is always getting dragged in to a life of crime and it doesn't make sense in a game series that used to give you bonus points if you took out an entire group of Elvis impersonators at once.

Yea ever since SA they've tried to turn the protagonist into a some poor victim of circumstances instead of just being a crazy sociopath like Vercetti was.

Basically remake VC is what I'm saying. :colbert:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I like the 3 protagonists in GTA V. Kept me invested in who all the minor quest giving characters were. In GTA IV I just stopped caring about the different characters/factions by the time all islands were unlocked.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

rodbeard posted:

Luis from Gay Tony was mostly "Yeah sure whatever why not gently caress it I guess, goddamn weirdos"

The issue with all of 4's (4/LostAndDammed/GayTony) factions is they pretty much barely existed. They were THERE but they were all just Armed Gang that shot you if you shot them, if you even knew what they looked like.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I kinda like how they did it with CJ: he wasn't trying to get out of the gangster life, but in the process of doing stuff for people he wound up having businesses beyond being a gangster. When he finally gets his brother out of jail, his brother pulls him back into that life.

That cutscene where CJ is all "Dude, let's go to my mansion, I have a record label exec I want you meet" and his brother having none of that has always stuck with me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I like the 3 protagonists in GTA V. Kept me invested in who all the minor quest giving characters were. In GTA IV I just stopped caring about the different characters/factions by the time all islands were unlocked.

I liked them too and I think they all fit into the GTA world just fine in their own ways. Franklin didn't actually want to leave the life of crime, he wanted to get rich and leave the hood. He accomplishes that about halfway through the game, and sticks with Michael out of loyalty because Michael is the one that made him successful in the first place. Franklin has no real life skills or future and seems to be pretty aware of this, and realizes that just being a successful criminal is probably the best thing he can do. Michael is the same character, but at the end of his life, where he's rich enough to have bought into the American Dream only to find out that it's a boring prison where he can't escape his bitch wife and hosed up children that he couldn't raise properly anyway because like Franklin he has no real life skills. Michael is "unwillingly" sucked back into the criminal life, but it's obvious that he doesn't actually feel all that bad about it because it's the only thing he was ever any good at anyway. They actually make pretty good GTA heroes; they are perfectly willing to break the law, kill people and steal property for their own ends, and the game makes no bones about the fact that these are Bad People, but they aren't truly evil.

Unlike Trevor, who exists to be the personification of The Player In A GTA Game. And, surprise surprise, he's an unlikable psychopath that everyone actively distrusts and he annoys the poo poo out of me personally due to how Zany and Clever he is all the time. He's an invincible ubermensch that only lives to cause trouble and chaos, and I think there are a lot of people that play GTA games that like to gently caress around like that but GTA 5 does a good job of painting him as an irrational dick that you shouldn't act like (unless you really want to).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

RyokoTK posted:

Unlike Trevor, who exists to be the personification of The Player In A GTA Game. And, surprise surprise, he's an unlikable psychopath that everyone actively distrusts and he annoys the poo poo out of me personally due to how Zany and Clever he is all the time. He's an invincible ubermensch that only lives to cause trouble and chaos, and I think there are a lot of people that play GTA games that like to gently caress around like that but GTA 5 does a good job of painting him as an irrational dick that you shouldn't act like (unless you really want to).

I always saw this as a problem, and I know I'm not alone in that, because of how blunt and vindictive it is. Rockstar looking down on people who don't agree with them and play the game how they want is evident at a few points in GTAV, and that overall look turns Trevor from a knowing deconstruction to kind of a petty gently caress-you. It'd be fine if the game were more willing to indulge us in what we actually do in GTA games, turning Trevor into 'just so you know, this is what you actually look like when you're doing this kind of stuff', but there's a lot of elements of the game's design that feel like Rockstar are actively spiteful of people who play like that.

It's especially notable now that we're getting games that do far better at that. Saint's Row 2's Boss is especially good at depicting what an utter unrepentant monster you are while still being very happy to let you play as that character (SRIV's got its moments of calling you out on poo poo too), and Sleeping Dogs is great in large part because it makes us really want to play Wei Shen as exactly the sort of person they're depicting (not favorably) in the cutscenes.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I was hyped for GTA5 to the point of considering buying a console for the first time in like 5 years. Then I was hanging with a friend and watched him play some mission that involved moving shipping containers, and it looked like the most tedious, unfun bullshit and to this day I've never played it. It was probably only like 5-10 minutes but I felt like it was going on for like an hour. He let me try and I got like one container up and then just started ramming things because why the gently caress would I want to play some kind of shipping container mini game in a GTA game.

mr. mephistopheles has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Jan 19, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I was hyped for GTA5 to the point of considering buying a console for the first time in like 5 years. Then I was hanging with a friend and watched him play some mission that involved moving shipping containers, and it looked like the most tedious, unfun bullshit and to this day I've never played it.

I really never understood this still being a thing in games today. I'm sorry, I mean clearly its a satirical set piece with deep commentary on today's gaming conventions where gaming companies still put incredibly unfun scenarios in games that gamers have been saying loving suck for the past 10 years (seriously who enjoyed moving shipping containers in GTA: SA?)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

I always saw this as a problem, and I know I'm not alone in that, because of how blunt and vindictive it is. Rockstar looking down on people who don't agree with them and play the game how they want is evident at a few points in GTAV, and that overall look turns Trevor from a knowing deconstruction to kind of a petty gently caress-you. It'd be fine if the game were more willing to indulge us in what we actually do in GTA games, turning Trevor into 'just so you know, this is what you actually look like when you're doing this kind of stuff', but there's a lot of elements of the game's design that feel like Rockstar are actively spiteful of people who play like that.

It's especially notable now that we're getting games that do far better at that. Saint's Row 2's Boss is especially good at depicting what an utter unrepentant monster you are while still being very happy to let you play as that character (SRIV's got its moments of calling you out on poo poo too), and Sleeping Dogs is great in large part because it makes us really want to play Wei Shen as exactly the sort of person they're depicting (not favorably) in the cutscenes.

I always got the impression that Rockstar REALLY hates when people play their games in a way Rockstar didn't intend.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MisterBibs posted:

I kinda like how they did it with CJ: he wasn't trying to get out of the gangster life, but in the process of doing stuff for people he wound up having businesses beyond being a gangster. When he finally gets his brother out of jail, his brother pulls him back into that life.

That cutscene where CJ is all "Dude, let's go to my mansion, I have a record label exec I want you meet" and his brother having none of that has always stuck with me.

That scene always stuck with me because CJ is totally spineless there. He should have given his brother a big "gently caress you" there and told him what it took for him to get there and how he never wanted to be part of it all in the first place. CJ should be wrapping up unfinished business as a form of payback, not just because his dumb brother can't stop talking about the hood.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

What's always stuck with me is "Look at you man, you're not keeping it real!" though mostly because CJ had the gimp costume on at the time. Also the way he got run over in the mission immediately afterwards because the AI is too dumb to cross the road.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I thought they fixed the motorcycle thing in The Lost and The Damned. Which I never beat because jesus was it a bummer of a plotline.

I started playing that. I got to the point where it tells you to ride to wherever with the rest of the bikies and then makes you stay behind the leader and not have any fun. At that point I thought "Oh yeah, this is why I don't play GTA games" and quit.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I can see what Capcom were trying to do in Resident Evil 0 by letting you drop items everywhere which, in theory would cut down on backtracking to save rooms for the item boxes constantly like in 1 and 2, but in practice, you are just going to dump everything in the largest room available so you'll be running back to there constantly, which is more inconvenient depending on where you are in relation to said drop zone.

What I am trying to say is, item boxes were better than this system.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cleretic posted:

My conflict with that if every video game hero was "unmitigated psychopath" it'd get old real fast. It's not exactly the most clever of writing conventions and while I'm not saying Rockstar has a perfect record in writing believable protagonists they really do need to do their own thing instead of aping saint's row.

Mierenneuker posted:

That scene always stuck with me because CJ is totally spineless there. He should have given his brother a big "gently caress you" there and told him what it took for him to get there and how he never wanted to be part of it all in the first place. CJ should be wrapping up unfinished business as a form of payback, not just because his dumb brother can't stop talking about the hood.

I felt like that was the point. Maybe I'm giving Rockstar too much credit but CJ's flaw was that he was loyal to family and friends to a point of stupidity.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I started playing that. I got to the point where it tells you to ride to wherever with the rest of the bikies and then makes you stay behind the leader and not have any fun. At that point I thought "Oh yeah, this is why I don't play GTA games" and quit.
Yeah, I heard the Episodes were a lot better than GTA4 and that's about as far as I got. I gave it about 5-10 minutes of an orderly bike ride while the boss rambled about the American dream and libertarianism (which felt like hours) before I gave up.

I might try 5 when I get my new computer set up I guess.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cleretic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZcX_ZdlW3Q
this guy does a great explanation about gta's pros and cons.

trevor could have been a great follow up to tommy and would have worked as a character but the game is never sure about whether or not his actions have consequence. he kills his buddy's cousin and that guy's fiancee and then drives their bloodsoaked car with his buddy trying to fool him into thinking everything's fine and we're supposed to find that both edgy and funny. but trevor also tortured a guy just so michael could snuff out another guy and the game goes really in depth into what you can do to this virtual nonperson. that mission is supposed to have gravitas but then farts all over that with the conversation at the end and then just unceremoniously dumps that guy out of the story (dunno if he ever comes back).

you can have a monster as a protagonist and meditate on it, or you can have a caricature of violence and revel in it, but it takes a lot of cognitive dissonance to accept both in one character. maybe that's the point since trevor's supposed to be unhinged, but it really doesn't sit well for me when i just wanna pull heists and have majestic car pileups.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I was hyped for GTA5 to the point of considering buying a console for the first time in like 5 years. Then I was hanging with a friend and watched him play some mission that involved moving shipping containers, and it looked like the most tedious, unfun bullshit and to this day I've never played it. It was probably only like 5-10 minutes but I felt like it was going on for like an hour. He let me try and I got like one container up and then just started ramming things because why the gently caress would I want to play some kind of shipping container mini game in a GTA game.

This was the mission that really stuck with me when I played the game. I got so bored of having to do the stupid poo poo they kept asking me to do that I started loving around and trying to complete the objectives in a more interesting way. Of course, every time I tried to do something even slightly outside of how the mission wanted me to do it I failed instantly and had to do the mission over again. It really soured me on the whole idea that I had any say or input on how a mission plays out.

And when the end game choice came along you bet my rear end I killed Trevor. Too bad that mission was absolute poo poo.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I haven't played GTA5, but I feel like Far Cry 3 had a similar problem sometimes. Do what you want while free roaming and it's fine, but on a story mission, you have to stay within the prescribed box (even when that's rather limiting to your strategy or you stumbled in there by mistake) and you can only complete the mission in a specific way.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh yes Far Cry 3, give me cool tools like flamethrowers and sniper rifles with exploding bullets but all the assassination missions require you to shank the targets. What if I get tired of sneaking around and want to go guns blazing? Mission failed, awesome.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

Absolutely, and I think that's the point of the scene. He's done all this stuff that saves his older brother AND gets him and his family out of that life in the process, but his brother pulls him back in and CJ obeys his big brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mierenneuker posted:

MisterBibs posted:

Absolutely, and I think that's the point of the scene. He's done all this stuff that saves his older brother AND gets him and his family out of that life in the process, but his brother pulls him back in and CJ obeys his big brother.

I never really interpreted as that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pokZuChcmfc&t=12342s

From a gameplay perspective it's meant to pad the game with more tedious bs by using the gang war mechanics and the final assault and car chase missions. From a story perspective, I always saw it as Sweet trying to tell CJ that there's more to life than just making it big. CJ has plenty of 'gently caress You' money to do whatever he wants whenever he wants. And therein lies the problem to Sweet - CJ has been in it completely for himself without thinking about his community. CJ's FYGM attitude might allow him to run away but it still leaves his 2 antagonists of Big Smoke and Tenpenny on the prowl. Sure, he could confront them when the time comes but for now he's using his criminal syndicate and money to buffer him from those two. He also has no sense of belonging to his community and because of this his community suffers while he prospers. Rather than confront the 2 big problems and make his community safer, CJ would rather just buy off his brother with luxury. The only difference between what Big Smoke and CJ is that CJ made his fortune without selling out Grove Street. Sweet is trying to reinvigorate that pride in CJ to make the community safer. Sweet is doing it the only way he knows how, though, which is kill and kick the poo poo in on every person that moves in on Grove Street territory which is great for gameplay, no so much for story. If CJ was taking his millions and revitalizing the neighborhood I'm sure a real Sweet would be a little more understanding of not wanting to get back into a gang war.

Safer in GTA terms, but safer nonetheless. This is one of the scenes that that I thought the GTA franchise played straight even though the methods that come after are wanton violence and destruction just like any other GTA game.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Jan 19, 2016