Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Do you guys do anything with your bottles after you're done with them (besides recycle them)? Some of them look quite nice and it always seems a waste to just throw them out, but I don't know what else I can do.

I hold on to bottles that held particularly good stuff, like my 2007 Midleton.

Anyone have any thoughts on Glendalough Irish whiskey? It is so light and sweet, kinda floral if I remember correctly. They also produce some poitin, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Duckboat posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Glendalough Irish whiskey? It is so light and sweet, kinda floral if I remember correctly. They also produce some poitin, which is nice.
If you mean their single malts, I believe their aged stuff was all purchased from the ex-Cooley distillery (like most of these new Irish producers popping up with 13 year whiskey and 1 year stills), quality stuff but it'll be interesting to see how their own product shapes up when it finally ages in.
Similarly, how a dozen legitimately new and unique Irish single malts might transform that segment of the market in a few years.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
Interesting, haven't tried their single malts, just the blend, which I am under the impression is their own product.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Glass posted:

i'm doing a whisk(e)y tasting party for some of my friends. the intent is to show the breadth of the whisky spectrum and give a good overview of what the various different varieties have to offer. I'm mostly a scotch guy, and i also know a good deal about bourbon and rye, so i have those departments covered without even going to the store. i'm looking for a decent irish whiskey that is representative of the style; anyone have any recommendations? how about tennessee whiskey? should i bother with canadian? I'm planning on skipping Japanese, since in my experience they basically try to emulate scotch, but are there any oddballs that i should consider?

I suggest Green Spot for the Irish whiskey.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
awesome, that's the one i was planning on getting :) only irish whiskey i've tried is Jameson, which is fine i guess, so i'm excited to try something different.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My brother gave me a Jameson sampler pack for Christmas. I really enjoyed Black Barrel, the other one that spent time in stout barrels, not as much.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I was a casual whiskey drinker in the past (mostly Johnny Walker Black) but passed by a liquor store today and bought a Lagavulin 16 and a Highland Park 12 on a whim. Looking forward to jumping down the rabbit hole

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

SO, at the duty free, I picked up a bottle of the Bowmore Black Rock. Ok, so it was actually my Dad who got it, but it's my birthday, so we cracked it. Oh my goodness, it is like liquid smoke and a bit of caramel an amazing.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

kidsafe posted:

Some perspective. This is the allocation of Pappy to the entire state of PA.

I actually managed to get a hold of one of those bottles of 23, which is nuts.

Especially considering that only 75% of that allocation was available for consumer purchase. So one of like 25 bottles state-wide. It's delicious :)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Oh good there is a thread for this

I'm a recent scotch convert - I'm a student, so I don't really have the budget to experiment much, and most of my scotch experience came from grimacing through glasses of whatever my dad gave me until I 'acquired the taste'. Mostly I've played it safe - I know that stuff like Glenlivet and Glenfidditch are pretty universally inoffensive, so I've been savouring them for a while. I'm actually making money now, and I'd like to branch out a bit without breaking the bank. I bought a bottle of Auchentoshan as a birthday present to myself, which I'm fairly pleased with, but it seems to be along the same lines as what I'd been drinking previously. What would you lot recommend that's deviating from the more common flavours? As an addendum, I tried Laphroaig once and thought it tasted like disinfectant.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

ChickenWing posted:

I tried Laphroaig once and thought it tasted like disinfectant.

Yes, it does. God, it's good. Admittedly, not to everyone's preference, though.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Actually, followup question as well. When a scotch is labelled as "founder's reserve" instead of with an age, what does that indicate regarding quality? For example, the LCBO had a bottle of Glenlivet 12yr for $50 and Glenlivet Founder's Reserve for $55. What's that all about>?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Actually, followup question as well. When a scotch is labelled as "founder's reserve" instead of with an age, what does that indicate regarding quality? For example, the LCBO had a bottle of Glenlivet 12yr for $50 and Glenlivet Founder's Reserve for $55. What's that all about>?

It's a completely made-up term. It has no legal definition at all. It's just something that Glenlivet's marketing people made up.

Legally speaking, Glenlivet Founder's reserve is a NAS (No Age Statement) scotch single malt whisky, which means:

- The age of spirit used can be as low as 3 years.
- It has to have been produced, aged and bottled in Scotland.
- The whisky used must be distilled entirely from malted barley (The malt part in single malt)
- The whisky must be from a single distillery ( the single part)
- Must have been distilled in copper pot stills (not column stills like grain whisky used in blends)
- It has to be at least 40% ABV

But "Founder's Reserve" means gently caress all

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

spankmeister posted:

It's a completely made-up term. It has no legal definition at all. It's just something that Glenlivet's marketing people made up.

Legally speaking, Glenlivet Founder's reserve is a NAS (No Age Statement) scotch single malt whisky, which means:

- The age of spirit used can be as low as 3 years.
- It has to have been produced, aged and bottled in Scotland.
- The whisky used must be distilled entirely from malted barley (The malt part in single malt)
- The whisky must be from a single distillery ( the single part)
- Must have been distilled in copper pot stills (not column stills like grain whisky used in blends)
- It has to be at least 40% ABV

But "Founder's Reserve" means gently caress all

Ha, that's sorta what I figured. Glad I took the safe bet.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ChickenWing posted:

I'm a recent scotch convert - I'm a student, so I don't really have the budget to experiment much, and most of my scotch experience came from grimacing through glasses of whatever my dad gave me until I 'acquired the taste'. Mostly I've played it safe - I know that stuff like Glenlivet and Glenfidditch are pretty universally inoffensive, so I've been savouring them for a while. I'm actually making money now, and I'd like to branch out a bit without breaking the bank. I bought a bottle of Auchentoshan as a birthday present to myself, which I'm fairly pleased with, but it seems to be along the same lines as what I'd been drinking previously. What would you lot recommend that's deviating from the more common flavours? As an addendum, I tried Laphroaig once and thought it tasted like disinfectant.

Sweeter/richer: Glendromach, Balvenie, Aberlour
Viscous/savory: Dalmore, Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich
Little bit of everything: Oban, Springbank/Hazelburn, Glenfarclas
Light peat: Bowmore, Highland Park
Heavy peat: Lagavulin, Talisker (Ardbeg, Kilchoman, Caol Ila will be too reminiscent of Laphroaig)

Anything from Compass Box.

International whiskies: Amrut, Yamazaki, Kavalan

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ChickenWing posted:

I tried Laphroaig once and thought it tasted like disinfectant.

Wait until your taste buds get more experience, there lots of other detestable flavors, and I love/hate every one of them.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Is it normal for Glenfiddich 12 year to taste like an American whiskey? I am just getting into Scotch, and the Glenfiddich I started with I am instantly liking due to resemblance to American whiskies.

And if anyone happens to see Slaughter House whiskey any place, give it a try. It's 9 year aged whiskey finished in wine casks. It has a bite at the start, and then gradually moves to a nice sweetness.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Terminal Entropy posted:

Is it normal for Glenfiddich 12 year to taste like an American whiskey? I am just getting into Scotch, and the Glenfiddich I started with I am instantly liking due to resemblance to American whiskies.

And if anyone happens to see Slaughter House whiskey any place, give it a try. It's 9 year aged whiskey finished in wine casks. It has a bite at the start, and then gradually moves to a nice sweetness.

It's aged on bourbon barrels, so sure.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

howe_sam posted:

My brother gave me a Jameson sampler pack for Christmas. I really enjoyed Black Barrel, the other one that spent time in stout barrels, not as much.

Yeah, Caskmates is a really boring whiskey. Not worth the price of admission.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Kenning posted:

Yeah, Caskmates is a really boring whiskey. Not worth the price of admission.

Good save; standard expression Jamesons is a guilty pleasure of mine and I had that lined up for payday. I should just get another bottle of Redbreast already (I should always get another bottle of Redbreast).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ChickenWing posted:

I'm about the same as you on that one. Been drinking scotch for a while now but still don't like anything but the most mild peat flavors.

wormil posted:

Wait until your taste buds get more experience, there lots of other detestable flavors, and I love/hate every one of them.

It's possible, but also possible that one never really enjoys them. I've got a few friends and we all drink scotch together and half of us just do not really like that profile much.

kidsafe posted:

Sweeter/richer: Glendromach, Balvenie, Aberlour
Viscous/savory: Dalmore, Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich
Little bit of everything: Oban, Springbank/Hazelburn, Glenfarclas
Light peat: Bowmore, Highland Park
Heavy peat: Lagavulin, Talisker (Ardbeg, Kilchoman, Caol Ila will be too reminiscent of Laphroaig)

Anything from Compass Box.

International whiskies: Amrut, Yamazaki, Kavalan

This is a solid list, personally I love the Balvenie (especially the doublewood 12 at its price point of ~40-50$USD) and if you can afford it the Dalmore offerings I've had have all been awesome.

A friend of mine sprung for the Dalmore 18 ($100+ iirc) and it was one of the best things I've had so far but definitely more pricey. We had it side by side with the Balvenie Doublewood 17 and I'd say the Dalmore was notably better.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Have been mostly drinking higher quality single malts for the better part of a year now, decided to try a regular 'ole popular blend. Picked up a bottle of The Famous Grouse, and I can't say I'm too pleased with it.
It's drinkable, but it lacks any noteworthy flavors at all. It's just bland whisky that smells kind of off, and not in an interesting way. I'll certainly finish the bottle at some point but I can honestly say I'm fairly disappointed.

After coming off a streak of loving Glenmorangie 10, Lasanta, and Quinta Ruban, then having some Monkey Shoulder - this stuff just sucks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You should trade up for some Black Grouse. Still super affordable, and really quite tasty. I suspect it's the perfect Rusty Nail scotch.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

pissdude posted:

After coming off a streak of loving Glenmorangie 10, Lasanta, and Quinta Ruban, then having some Monkey Shoulder - this stuff just sucks.

Quinta Ruban is probably the only ACE'd Glenmorangie I bother with, and you can really tell the difference between Glenmorangie 10 and its 2-years older competition in Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. That being said, Signet is one of my all time favorite spirits ever.

Monkey Shoulder is a perfectly good whisky at its price point. Not sure how it offended you. It's also the only way I can get a whiff of Kininvie without spending stupidbux for the special releases.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 23, 2016

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

kidsafe posted:

Quinta Ruban is probably the only ACE'd Glenmorangie I bother with, and you can really tell the difference between Glenmorangie 10 and its 2-years older competition in Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. That being said, Signet is one of my all time favorite spirits ever.

Monkey Shoulder is a perfectly good whisky at is price point. Not sure how it offended you. It's also the only way I can get a whiff of Kininvie without spending stupidbux for the special releases.
I think the implication was that "after having whisky A, B, and C, and then D - this stuff (Famous Grouse) just sucks".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Grouse is okay-ish. Black Grouse is a lot better. I suppose you could make the comparison with Johnny Walker red vs black label.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Our local liquor stores finally started carrying Dickel Rye. Better price point than Rittenhouse and it's acceptably (albeit very slightly) overproof compared to the average whiskey. Enjoying it quite a bit, for what it is.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Dickel is so foul

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

2DCAT posted:

Dickel is so foul

I like it at the price point, but not the Rye. tbh though, I'll just grab Beam.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ChickenArise posted:

I like it at the price point, but not the Rye. tbh though, I'll just grab Beam.

I like the Rittenhouse because my Granny was a Rittenhouse from up north and I pretend it's a family business. :homebrew:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Well, to each their own. I decided to give it a shot since nothing good was on sale and wanted to get something new. I'll admit that for the similar price range I'll probably stick to Rittenhouse for my go-to.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Kenny Logins posted:

I think the implication was that "after having whisky A, B, and C, and then D - this stuff (Famous Grouse) just sucks".

Yeah. The ones I listed were ones I really enjoyed - this new Famous Grouse is extremely unlikable to me. I say "new" because I have read that they recently changed either their recipe or production method (or both?) and a lot of people are really unhappy about it

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

2DCAT posted:

Dickel is so foul

Yeah I don't get the love for it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What's a good introductory bottle to peaty whisky? Max budget is $100.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Laphroaig and Ardbeg are incredibly peaty and have almost all of their bottlings well under $100. The flagship bottles of each are around $50-60 here, maybe a little more depending on which state you live in. Kilchoman is the newest distillery on Islay and makes some really great stuff too, but since it is young you have to be a little more selective to get a smooth one. If you live in California or another state that allows online liquor sales you should look at K&L wine because they sell most of the Islay expressions for much cheaper than anywhere else that I've found.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Thanks for the tips. Ended up picking up a bottle of highland park 12 and aberlour 12 for fun.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Google Butt posted:

Thanks for the tips. Ended up picking up a bottle of highland park 12 and aberlour 12 for fun.

Highland Park 12 is a good intro to mildly/moderately peated scotches. Excellent bottle. I'm not a huge fan of the aberlour 12, but it's been awhile and I honestly cannot remember why I disliked it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

trauma llama posted:

Highland Park 12 is a good intro to mildly/moderately peated scotches. Excellent bottle. I'm not a huge fan of the aberlour 12, but it's been awhile and I honestly cannot remember why I disliked it.

There's the original double-cask 12-year bottled at 43% (later 40%), and now there's the much better sherry-cask 12-year bottled at 48% and NCF. The latter is definitely a better crafted whisky, though I kind of agree that Aberlour isn't my first choice. Their distillery tour is great though...they let you fill your own bottle of whisky from either a bourbon barrel or a sherry butt.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 25, 2016

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Anyone tried Old Pulteney 17? Just ordered a bottle after I came across it in one of Ralfy's reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Anyone tried Old Pulteney 17? Just ordered a bottle after I came across it in one of Ralfy's reviews.

Bought one, but haven't opened it yet. :)