Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Beet Wagon posted:

I was just cruising through that reddit thread (because I hate myself) and someone said FIVE people have been doxxed in our thread. Who are these mysterious people? What happened to them? Do their angry ghosts haunt the thread even now? :iiam:

it was him in the wheelchair!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
derek smart

Derek Smart

DEREK SMART

I know it's anathema to you to not be super ultra "when it's finished" for anything you personally do and drat the consequences, but come on, man, send your Goon-de-yadda already! No one cares if it's bad, everyone's will be bad, if you've got the only good rendition in the video it will make the rest look out of whack by comparison.

Think of the team, Derek. Send whichever version you have right now that is least bad and just be done with it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I honestly get a lot of laughs from these type of "why is patch so big posts"

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/314288/what-s-up-with-the-download-sizes#latest

Favorite one in the thread is that they are making so many changes you have to download the whole thing. Yeah, doors and a few xml tweaks.

It is little things like this that demonstrate the overall incompetence of an organization. There is no business sense.

Spend some man hours on creating a patcher. It will lower their cloud transfer costs drastically and make a ton of the fan base happier. Money ahead for everyone. Boggles my mind.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Colostomy Bag posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/314288/what-s-up-with-the-download-sizes#latest

Favorite one in the thread is that they are making so many changes you have to download the whole thing. Yeah, doors and a few xml tweaks.

It is little things like this that demonstrate the overall incompetence of an organization. There is no business sense.

Spend some man hours on creating a patcher. It will lower their cloud transfer costs drastically and make a ton of the fan base happier. Money ahead for everyone. Boggles my mind.

They can't even get the doors right

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wyoak posted:

don't listen to me i'm just a little disappointed matilda was banned

Eh don't be, another will take their place soon enough I am sure.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Scruffpuff posted:

Hey there, Matilda
What's it like to be so lovely?
What's it like to be insane
And live the life of Walter Mitty
Only dumb
Spending time to defend the thumb
So fuckin' dumb

Hey there, Matilda
Don't you worry much about Sandi
She cares about as much about you
As she does about her family
Which is none
Her only care is number one
Your posting's done

Oh, the Smart man's set you free
Smart man's set you free

Hey there, Matilda
I know not posting is hard
But just believe me, freak
You'll never take your jpeg to the stars
Cause you're a fool
A broken, sad, deluded tool
Broke Reddit's rules

Smart man's set you free

:bravo:

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 21, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can someone with more CryEngine experience explain to me why they wouldn't just do away with the .pak:s for the alpha? I'm sure they make some (utterly minute) sense in a full-release install version, but why wouldn't they just make it an open local resource cache where individual files can be fiddled with pretty much freely?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Derek Smart's goon-de-yadda is his revenge for desktop commander

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Derek, as per the other thread, this has been enough damage control. Thank you for your collaboration, and remember what was said.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's not incompetence, the pak files have to be encrypted, signed, and as complex as possible to obfuscate the internals workings of the game. The physics calculation details and ship handling (who wants to bet that the ships are just given some flight parameters?) in particular have to be hidden because this is what open development is all about.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm noticing more and more that star citizens like to defend CIG by saying its important "not to divert resources" for trifles such as Star Marine, stretch goals, and customer service. Its like the first step on the path of asking 'where did all our loving money go?'

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Do we still think Matilda is Sandi?

No, even Derek thinks it's Karl now

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Regrettable posted:

No, even Derek thinks it's Karl now
I don't disagree but where does Derek Smart say that?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

oh hey! 2.1.1 is out!

quote:

Some important call-outs:
A jet-pack looking item is appearing on the back of characters in Crusader. This will be removed shortly.
We are aware that ArcCorp is still suffering from some texture problems and level of detail popping.

Arena Commander Module:

Balance/Tweaks:

Components
Improved the overheat rate of the Revenant Gatling gun, so that it will go longer before overheating.
Ships
Slightly reduced the overall maneuverability of the Vanguard Warden.
The Vanduul Glaive now has cruise speed of 1080.
The Vanduul Scythe now has a cruise speed of 995.
The Vanduul Glaive has received a significant increase to ship health.

Fixes:

Gameplay

Fixed an issue where enemy Vanduul AI ships would spin out of control when killed and only despawn on hitting the simulation boundary.
Fixed an issue where damaging or destroying a Vanguard Warden was not awarding points in Arena Commander.

Ships
Fixed the position of the radar globe in the Vanguard Warden ship HUD.
We are temporarily changing the Vanguard to use one shield at 6x current strength, to closer mimic its final function. This is temporary as the tech for the six-shield set up the Vanguard will have in its final iteration is not yet implemented in 2.1.
Fixed an issue with the Cutlass Black and Retaliator turrets, where the weapons were misaligned and not correctly attached to the turret mounts.

User Interface
Fixed an issue where the central MFD information was offset from the ship HUD on the Vanguard Warden’s screen.

Persistent Universe:

Additions:
Gameplay
Increased the maximum player count in Crusader from 16 to 24.
The maximum player ship count in the instance is still locked to 16 while we gather data.

Fixes:
Gameplay
Fixed a bug that caused all doors in ArcCorp and Million Mile High club to break.
Technical
Fixed a number of server and client crashes.

goddamned pesky doors.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 21, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm the real Derek Smart fan that impossibly posts in unknown niche subreddit /r/DerekSmart. :psyduck:

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 21, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Development has completely run out of steam just as shitizens start to get angsty. When it implodes this house of cards is going to come down faster than Doobies business empire.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6263948/#Comment_6263948

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

jet-pack looking items no longer confirmed

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

star_citizen_physics.txt looks very similar to why_ physicists_develop_early_hairloss.txt

JBLamp213
Nov 11, 2013
So... How about that 20 Billion dollar game eh?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The latest version of the PU is more fun than I've ever had in another videogame. It's like a million orgasms fired through a taco made of pizzas. My friends and I all got into the same ship, and we agree: this is the most fun I've ever had inside my friends.

~Flies around empty skybox making spaceship noises~

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Berious posted:

Development has completely run out of steam just as shitizens start to get angsty. When it implodes this house of cards is going to come down faster than Doobies business empire.

At least Doobie created something of value, even if that value was poo poo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm picking up some subtle implications by Matilda here that somehow Derek's wife is totally in the dark about his behavior, rather than being regaled by tales of his internet heroism on a nightly basis, which I find more likely. Apparently in Matilda's world (and lots of backers in general, if I'm been keeping up correctly) keeping your wife in the dark about everything you do is the norm.

Right. While conveniently forgetting that when you've been with someone - and married to them - for the best part of 20 years, there are no secrets. Aside from the fact that my wife isn't deaf, blind, dumb or stupid, and like every spouse on the planet, has access to social media. And like every spouse married to a public figure, you already know what to expect.

They're inconsequential morons.

Had they sent such a letter, she would have read it, shared it, then analyzed the crap out of it. I then get to post it in my blog (and send it to the media) as yet another example of the behavior of the upstanding Star Citizen community. heh.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Berious posted:

Rip doobie. :(

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mendrian posted:

The latest version of the PU is more fun than I've ever had in another videogame. It's like a million orgasms fired through a taco made of pizzas. My friends and I all got into the same ship, and we agree: this is the most fun I've ever had inside my friends.

~Flies around empty skybox making spaceship noises~

You need to get better-equipped friends.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

True story, I was literally watching the Manos Rifftrax as i got to your post.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Tippis posted:

star_citizen_physics.txt looks very similar to why_ physicists_develop_early_hairloss.txt
At least their signature is accurate.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Right. While conveniently forgetting that when you've been with someone - and married to them - for the best part of 20 years, there are no secrets. Aside from the fact that my wife isn't deaf, blind, dumb or stupid, and like every spouse on the planet, has access to social media. And like every spouse married to a public figure, you already know what to expect.

They're inconsequential morons.

Had they sent such a letter, she would have read it, shared it, then analyzed the crap out of it. I then get to post it in my blog (and send it to the media) as yet another example of the behavior of the upstanding Star Citizen community. heh.

I hope she shaked her head disapprovingly when you bought some spaceship jpgs.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Article on the failure of the Zano mini-drone project that attracted £2.3m via Kickstarter: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35356147

A few choice quotes:
- "...clever - though misleading - marketing turned the Zano into a Kickstarter sensation, galloping past its original funding target; and then the disaster which unfolded as Reedman and his colleagues discovered they just did not have the skills or the experience to mass produce the mini-drone."
- "...as production problems mounted and the money began to run out they [the team] showed "a dangerous lack of self-awareness of the problems the company was making for itself"."
- "...neither he [Reedman] or the other members of the team "possessed the technical or commercial competencies necessary to deliver the Zano as specified in the original campaign"."

Sound familiar?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

oh hey! 2.1.1 is out!

goddamned pesky doors.

How the gently caress are they getting doors wrong? That poo poo is the easiest thing ever.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Xaerael posted:

How the gently caress are they getting doors wrong? That poo poo is the easiest thing ever.

Well, you know… sometime it's hard to remember which side the hinge goes on. They tried a few an the upper left corner just looked nicer in the concept art.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/41welu/bye_bye_umatilda2013/cz5v2z0

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Xaerael posted:

True story, I was literally watching the Manos Rifftrax as i got to your post.

Everyone should watch rifftrax - manos the hands of fate.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
savoring this moment.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The irony of a redditor complaining about another forum being an echo chamber may eventually stop being funny, at which point it just becomes kind of sad, but not today.

Speaking of non-majority opinions, I wonder how Loiosh is doing.

Seemed he had more fun talking about what he hoped SC would be than actually playing it. And his IRL friend absolutely hated having to play SC with him.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Mirificus posted:

I don't disagree but where does Derek Smart say that?
It was in response to a screencap of a post Karl made here about how he had part of his intestine removed and his wife took care of him.

D_Smart posted:

BOOM. There it is. Karl is Matilda2013. Confirmed.
Also

D_Smart posted:

No. It's the same person. It's not unheard of for guys pretending to be female online.

Then again, he's an habitual liar; so who knows?

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=1224&perpage=40#post454821113

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 21, 2016

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
I'm rubber and you're glue. :smug:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I knew it was bad, but I didn't think it was this bad.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Interesting that a) they're only just seeing this now, when in fact we data mined that like the minute she posted it back in August b) it's NOT a graduate "degree"

My comments still stand. She doesn't have a degree. And certainly not in marketing, business or anything of the sort.

They're morons.

ps: Look up University of Adelaide

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Colostomy Bag posted:

why spend money on a patcher when you can spend that money developing the store front some more and the melt/unmelt mini-game?

• Locked thread