Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Vertical Lime posted:

How can you have the Rumble without this video package

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N48raNltRio

I'd sure like to! It's a nice video package, but they've been updating and running the same goddamn package every year for what, ten years now? The novelty of watching that video package slowly evolve year over year has definitely worn off for me, no matter how many times they change the gender or intensity of the narrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
We all know that Kane holds the record for most entries in a Royal Rumble, but can anyone guess who holds the record for eliminating Kane the most times? That's the Royal Rumble record we should all be talking about.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Jenny Angel posted:

We all know that Kane holds the record for most entries in a Royal Rumble, but can anyone guess who holds the record for eliminating Kane the most times? That's the Royal Rumble record we should all be talking about.

Triple H has the record, eliminating Kane three times. I believe Booker is the only runner up with two.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 21, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
That's exactly right, congratulations

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I think kane is the sleeper pick to win the entire danged thing

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Ostentatious posted:

I think kane is the sleeper pick to win the entire danged thing

- JBL, till the heat death of the universe maggle

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I feel like it's time to dogpile on Kane for having the most rumble entries without a win.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I hope Kane is not in the Rumble, but still randomly comes out, chokeslams everybody, and leaves.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

surprise rumble returns? look no further for the biggest pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQhnB8zZoc8

K-Fed returns with his whole Celeb Posse: Drew Carey, Jeremy Piven, Grumpy Cat, Larry The Cable Guy, Jerry Springer, and the Enforcer, Bob Barker. They clear the ring for the man and he stands tall with the title, arrogantly pointing to himself instead of the sign because that wouldn't really make sense anyway considering you already have the title. I'm not unrealistic, he can drop it to Roman at Wrestlemania, but he deserves to hold it til then

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Welp, here it is. I've ranked every Royal Rumble match from worst to best.

And no, '92 isn't the #1 spot, because gently caress Hogan.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, I rewatched 92 yesterday and most of it still holds up as the best, but motherfucking Hogan is a total bitch baby when Sid tosses him out clean.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I've been watching/rewatching all of these in reverse order, with 2002 as the earliest one I've gotten to. It felt... really self-indulgent? Multiple full ring clears, multiple extended entrances, and of course Taker's beatdown on Maven that seemed to last forever. I get why Maven eliminating Taker felt like such an iconic moment at the time, but seeing it with the hindsight of "this guy immediately proceeded to get his rear end slowly kicked for the next several entries and never accomplished anything of note in WWE again", it feels more uncomfortable than iconic. Outside of the great Austin-HHH action in the latter half, a lot of the booking felt like "let's do anything we can to avoid having an actual Royal Rumble take place".

I've got an all-time great coming up next, though, so I'm excited as hell.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Benne posted:

Yeah, I rewatched 92 yesterday and most of it still holds up as the best, but motherfucking Hogan is a total bitch baby when Sid tosses him out clean.

It's pretty hilarious at how heelish Hogan basically always acts and how the heel commentators always call him out on it when you look back at his old matches.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
2002 is worth it just for Scotty 2 Hotty doing his goofy dance to the ring and immediately getting KO'd by Taker. I lose it every time.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I can understand all of your reasoning and justification and think it's a pretty solid list, but no way is 94 THAT bad and 96' is nowhere near 7th place (talent roster way too thin, terrible New Generation gimmickry, the match has no focused story after Vader's beatdown of Michaels, and everyone knows who the winner is going to be after Vader's gone).

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Benne posted:

2002 is worth it just for Scotty 2 Hotty doing his goofy dance to the ring and immediately getting KO'd by Taker. I lose it every time.

https://gfycat.com/DemandingContentIlladopsis

:allears:

Scotty really has had more funny Rumble moments than most.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Shiki Dan posted:

I can understand all of your reasoning and justification and think it's a pretty solid list, but no way is 94 THAT bad and 96' is nowhere near 7th place (talent roster way too thin, terrible New Generation gimmickry, the match has no focused story after Vader's beatdown of Michaels, and everyone knows who the winner is going to be after Vader's gone).

Thanks. Different strokes, I guess. I told a friend this was going up and without me saying anything about where things were ranked, his response was, "#1 should be the second one that Michaels won."

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I appreciate the Royal Rumble.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Posted this in the wrong thread earlier, but this is the right place for it.

I've noticed they never promote #2 on equal level with #1 despite it being exactly the same position, the main example being Rey who went the distance but doesn't get the "#1 all the way to the end" distinction. It seems like it could be easily fixed if the match started when #1 enters, and then gets a slight attack advantage by waiting for #2 to enter instead of #2 just being there too.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Flair's latest podcast is him doing a live commentary of his 92 Rumble match, so if you want to sync it up (they even provide the correct time stamp at the beginning) it's really good.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

sticklefifer posted:

I've noticed they never promote #2 on equal level with #1 despite it being exactly the same position, the main example being Rey who went the distance but doesn't get the "#1 all the way to the end" distinction. It seems like it could be easily fixed if the match started when #1 enters, and then gets a slight attack advantage by waiting for #2 to enter instead of #2 just being there too.

This is actually exactly how it works, except #2 isn't as on as much of a delay. I know it's happened before, trying to remember when though, where #2 got in the ring and was immediately attacked and the bell was rung out of just "gently caress it, they're fighting" sake.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

There's a moment where they discuss that in 2010. Matt "Lesser Evil" Striker points out that #2 is basically the same as #1 during Evan Bourne's entrance, but Cole no-sells it and talks about how #1 is in the ring longer. Striker just kind of shrugs at that dumb logic and moves on.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I noticed that some commentator this week said something along the lines of "you know, only 4 or 5 wrestlers who have started in the rumble have ever gone on to win it!" so i wonder if that's their new re-branding to get around saying "only 2 wrestlers have won from the #1 position, including Shawn Michaels!"

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
Has a wrestler or booker from the WWE ever done a detailed breakdown of how a Rumble is planned and executed?

As someone mentioned a few posts above, there are certain Rumbles that seem meticulously detailed - like 2001 and 2002 where there are very clear storyline 'chapters' - but in general, do they actually bother specifying who eliminates who during the more inconsequential passages of the match? Does it matter that Wade Barrett gets eliminated by Bo Dallas in the 2013 Rumble or is the instruction to Wade 'just get tossed out before X minute of the match'?

I understand that Pat Patterson invented the concept and I presume he had a strong hand in the layout of the first few. 1999 is very clearly remembered a 'Russo Rumble'. But do we know who put together the last four years? Because those Rumbles have all been pretty terrible.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

They have! All the important stuff is laid out meticulously like your example of Bo Dallas eliminating Wade Barrett as those guys feuded in the following weeks but a lot of guys are just given a general idea when they are supposed to leave and a lot of the brawling between big spots is improvised.

As for the last couple years, Michael Hayes has reportedly been the mastermind behind those matches

oatgan fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 24, 2016

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

oatgan posted:

As for the last couple years, Michael Hayes has reportedly been the mastermind behind those matches

Goddamnit, does he have to ruin everything he touches?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

edotherocket posted:

Has a wrestler or booker from the WWE ever done a detailed breakdown of how a Rumble is planned and executed?

As someone mentioned a few posts above, there are certain Rumbles that seem meticulously detailed - like 2001 and 2002 where there are very clear storyline 'chapters' - but in general, do they actually bother specifying who eliminates who during the more inconsequential passages of the match? Does it matter that Wade Barrett gets eliminated by Bo Dallas in the 2013 Rumble or is the instruction to Wade 'just get tossed out before X minute of the match'?

I understand that Pat Patterson invented the concept and I presume he had a strong hand in the layout of the first few. 1999 is very clearly remembered a 'Russo Rumble'. But do we know who put together the last four years? Because those Rumbles have all been pretty terrible.

A former ref actually wrote a pretty cool article about it just a few days ago

http://csrwrestling.com/korderas-being-a-royal-rumble-referee/

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

LeadSled posted:

Goddamnit, does he have to ruin everything he touches?
2014 was laid out really well the fans just rejected the direction of the company. 2015 started fine but the direction was still bad and they tried everything they could to mitigate the damage and failed in spectacular fashion. I'm really interested to see what how the rumble plays out this year

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I remember hearing something about Jamie Noble being pretty heavily involved in the Rumble planning last year

Hope he stays the hell away this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

21 Hoot Salute posted:

I remember hearing something about Jamie Noble being pretty heavily involved in the Rumble planning last year

Hope he stays the hell away this year

Yeah Noble and Mercury I believe. No one has been fully able to follow on from Pat Patterson's layouts.

• Locked thread