Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

My Man Shran posted:

Buy a better pen. Buy several better pens. Also: some nice new ink for those pens.

Seconded. Thread title says it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Corollary: If you already have a shelf full of pilot metros, get another shelf for pilot custom heritage 912s more pilot metros.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

blowfish posted:

Corollary: If you already have a shelf full of pilot metros, get another shelf for pilot custom heritage 912s more pilot metros.

They come in so many colors! Just like ink.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Just ordered myself an Eco with a stub nib :toot:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

blowfish posted:

It's basically impossible to go wrong with a pilot metro. Unless you have achy fat goon sausages for fingers like I do, then get a pilot metro and wrap the section in classy electrical tape for added girth.

Always be buying metros.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Good news I did a full flush and disassembly of my jinhao 159 demonstrator and it's been flawless. Before, it wrote like crap was dry and skippy. I thought I cleaned it well the first time, I was wrong.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
There's a Jinhao 159 demonstrator?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sorry 599.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Got some stuff and this is a surprisingly lovely photo:

The inks are:
Diamine Grape 30ml
Diamine Golden Brown 30ml
Diamine Graphite 30ml
Diamine Oxblood 30ml
Diamine Ancient Copper 30ml
Pilot MR Metropolitan White Tiger
Diamine Shimmering Night Sky

The books are Paperblank notebooks that I paid an obscene amount for but they are so awesome and all my colleagues are either jealous or fools.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Keetron posted:

The books are Paperblank notebooks that I paid an obscene amount for but they are so awesome and all my colleagues are either jealous or fools.

Paperblank notebooks are quite pretty and I like most of the unique covers.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Okay, Pilot 912 showed up today (I'm in Canada so shipping waits etc.) and holy poo poo is this pen awesome. I like the nib better than my (much more expensive) Dolcevita Oro. I may have to buy a couple more with different nibs.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

Paperblank notebooks are quite pretty and I like most of the unique covers.

I really like the look of them but I've never used any fancy journal I've ever purchased because I feel intimidated, like whatever dumb crap I'd write in a regular notebook isn't good enough for the fancy expensive one so they always end up unused. I think this one (the purple) is super pretty though.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 19, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

grack posted:

Okay, Pilot 912 showed up today (I'm in Canada so shipping waits etc.) and holy poo poo is this pen awesome. I like the nib better than my (much more expensive) Dolcevita Oro. I may have to buy a couple more with different nibs.

I've been messing around with the music nib on my 912 for the past week, and dang it's a finicky writer.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

I really like the look of them but I've never used any fancy journal I've ever purchased because I feel intimidated, like whatever dumb crap I'd write in a regular notebook isn't good enough for the fancy expensive one so they always end up unused. I think this one (the purple) is super pretty though.

This is my problem. It'd probably be different if I needed a lab notebook or it was one for class.

I've never been able to keep a journal/diary. I usually just scribble notes on note cards or something else disposable.

I do need to write a Thank You note to my grandmother so I'm going to pick her out a fancy card and use a pretty ink. I should probably write a nice letter to my other grandparents too. I haven't wrote to them in a while and I think they'd like that.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got some really cute blank note cards to use for thank you cards and whatnot but they're coated and so slick they won't work well with my fountain pens :negative:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Just got my eco and I'm very impressed with the packaging and feel of the pen. It also writes nice and juicy.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, drat. We've got a lot of TWSBIs in the house, but I just had our first fatality. Nothing traumatic happened to the pen -- the other pens in the wrap are just fine, nothing was dropped or unduly stressed -- but the cap band and the plastic with the threads on it sheared off the bottom of my orange Vac 700's cap. I got the pen two years and change ago -- it's likely a bit older than that, because it originally came with the older nib that they had trouble with. I just found out about that and got a replacement nib in October, and now this. Got an e-mail in to TWSBI, who have always had excellent customer service before; we'll see what they say.

Edited to add: and a new cap is on the way.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 20, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Welp, i just bought my first vintage pen, a Doric on eBay for a not extravagant amount of money. This was probably a dumb decision, but I do so love faceted pens, and it's a pretty color.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4M3kwt0ZPw

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My two pilot metros came in from Amazon Prime... after a week and a half. So you can imagine the fire I had under my butt to try them. I opened them up and crammed the cartridges in. It took some effort, then nothing happened.

I figured out later I had just crammed the cartridges onto the converter, which I should have removed first. Hey, the instructions were to cram the cartridge on and that was that.

Nothing looks broken, but I think I completely depleted the cartridges in the process, so now I can't even try them until I get more ink. Sad Rocko.

Somebody tell me in 164 pages of this thread that they've done this too.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
How did you manage to cram the cartridge onto the converter???

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

:catstare:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

pienipple posted:

How did you manage to cram the cartridge onto the converter???

If they still come with the cleaning converter I could see how it would physically fit on there, but yeah buddy I think this is a first

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Somebody tell me in 164 pages of this thread that they've done this too.

That's pretty impressive, I have to say. Kind of like managing to put new tires on your car without removing the old ones.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That is a new one.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to own it as my own original contribution, but yeah. There was some ink left, so I was able to try them for a little bit. However, I had made quite a mess with that. I fixed it in the utility sink while wearing some latex gloves, washed and wiped everything down, but there's some stray ink here and there. I'm assuming it's from inside the cap during all this goofiness.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So I decided that I hate the squeezy converter that comes with the Metro and went and ordered a CON-50.

To get above JetPens' free shipping threshold I bought some Pilot Iroshizuku Deep Blue. How are Pilot's inks? It looks very pretty online. I've only ever used Noodler's Bulletproof Black so that's what I'm used to. Is there any difference in how it writes?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to own it as my own original contribution, but yeah. There was some ink left, so I was able to try them for a little bit. However, I had made quite a mess with that. I fixed it in the utility sink while wearing some latex gloves, washed and wiped everything down, but there's some stray ink here and there. I'm assuming it's from inside the cap during all this goofiness.

I dearly hope you at least took a picture before fixing it. I'd love to see how, exactly, you jammed that in.

mikeycp posted:

So I decided that I hate the squeezy converter that comes with the Metro and went and ordered a CON-50.

To get above JetPens' free shipping threshold I bought some Pilot Iroshizuku Deep Blue. How are Pilot's inks? It looks very pretty online. I've only ever used Noodler's Bulletproof Black so that's what I'm used to. Is there any difference in how it writes?

Everybody loves Iroshizuku, so you'll probably like it just fine.

It'll probably be a bit less feathery than the Noodler's, just because Noodler's inks tend to be a bit more lubricated than a lot of other inks. But I don't think you'll see a huge difference, really. Maybe a little bit scratchier-sounding, if it's that much drier?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Iroshizuku inks are pretty awesome. Pricey, mind you, but pretty awesome.

Went to a local fountain pen club last night for the first time, someone gave me a Pelikan Signum with a steel nib on the condition that I unfucked the nib and used it. Took 10 minutes max and now it's a nice writer (though the pen is somewhat on the thin side).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Zenostein posted:

I dearly hope you at least took a picture before fixing it. I'd love to see how, exactly, you jammed that in.
Nope. I was way too worked up trying to get my new toy to work. However, thanks to the magic of Imgur, I can present an artist's impression of the ordeal:

Edit: Let us just take solace in that I did this to very inexpensive pens, and that I got the Metros in case I did something really dumb like this. On the other hand, mods are free to change the thread title to "Ask me about fountain pens: Rocko Bonaparte should stick to crayons."

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 23, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

mikeycp posted:

Pilot inks are awesome. The Iroshizuku line is not in any way water resistant though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Nope. I was way too worked up trying to get my new toy to work. However, thanks to the magic of Imgur, I can present an artist's impression of the ordeal:

Edit: Let us just take solace in that I did this to very inexpensive pens, and that I got the Metros in case I did something really dumb like this. On the other hand, mods are free to change the thread title to "Ask me about fountain pens: Rocko Bonaparte should stick to crayons."

S'alright. Just about everybody makes a weird mistake when they first tried using fountain pens. I tried to smooth a nib with 800 grit sandpaper. It went very poorly. At least your pens are still usable with some new ink.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It looks I really did completely obliterate the cartridges... or at least one of them. The pen I was using today was leaking out the seam because I think the cartridge inside was completely blown up and oozing everywhere. It eventually stopped, at which point I discovered the pen was dry anyways.

It would take me 1-2 months to get new cartridges on Amazon, and other stores were not too promising, so I just went ahead and got ink. I ordered some Pelikan 4001 black, and I will be trying some Noodler's Burma Road Brown. Let's see how I screw this up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Every time I think about that it makes me laugh. I keep imagining this Curly-looking guy getting increasingly frustrated until he manages to get the cartridge "seated" on the converter and then he's like "yeah, job well done, me"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Thanks for all the Iroshizuku feedback. Glad to see I made a good choice. I'm really looking forward to trying out something other than the Noodler's.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

FAUXTON posted:

Every time I think about that it makes me laugh. I keep imagining this Curly-looking guy getting increasingly frustrated until he manages to get the cartridge "seated" on the converter and then he's like "yeah, job well done, me"

I have no basis for fountain pens in real life. These Pilot Metros were the first fountain pens I've ever even picked up. So I see the diagram about shoving the top into the cartridge and just think, "Well, there we go."

After reading about how the cartridges have this small plastic bit that releases the ink, I know those cartridges are completely wrecked.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have no basis for fountain pens in real life. These Pilot Metros were the first fountain pens I've ever even picked up. So I see the diagram about shoving the top into the cartridge and just think, "Well, there we go."

After reading about how the cartridges have this small plastic bit that releases the ink, I know those cartridges are completely wrecked.

That's all right, you made the right choice with the Metro and eventually you'll be writing like a boss :shobon:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Most cartridges have a little plastic ball in them to serve as an agitator. Pilot's don't — they do retain the little plastic plug that seals an unopened cartridge, but I'm not entirely sure it serves as an agitator.

I'm not entirely sure just jamming it on would make the little disk fall out, really. Ignore how yellowed the cartridge is, I had it laying around for nearly two years.
I mean, if the edges of the cartridge are ragged as gently caress, or obviously out of round (it sounds like yours is, if it leaked all over the place), then yeah, it's probably dead.

As an aside, I now understand why a Metro'd come with a cleaning converter. The feed's upper end (on this prera, and I assume other Pilots) is entirely different from pretty much any other c/c pen I've seen. Good thing I had actually bought a converter to go with.

kongurous
May 22, 2010
I know dick-all about fountain pens, and can't figure out how to identify this one that was gifted to me. It has Montblanc trappings - it has the Montblanc star on the cap, on a ring near the top of the cap it says "Made in Germany" in very fine lettering, and it says Montblanc along a ring near the bottom of the cap, but looking at Montblanc's site, I don't see anything like this pen for sale. I've tried to disassemble it but none of the parts on it seem to be removable. Only the cap comes off, and it does so by pulling on it rather than unscrewing it. The cap is not threaded for screwing, nor is the body of the pen.

Here are some pictures that suck dick but I lack a camera better than my phone or a picture box, and am not entirely interesting in assembling one:

Edit: I kept trying and managed to unscrew the part holding the nib from the rest of the pen. There seems to be a gray plastic piece connecting to the tip, which I presume to be the reservoir. It is not rigid, and I can compress it, but I see no other means of filling the reservoir like a plunger or a lever, so perhaps I'm supposed to dip it in ink and squeeze so it will fill? I can take the gray thing out, though, so perhaps an ink cartridge. Anyway, here are more pictures:

kongurous fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

kongurous posted:

I know dick-all about fountain pens, and can't figure out how to identify this one that was gifted to me. It has Montblanc trappings - it has the Montblanc star on the cap, on a ring near the top of the cap it says "Made in Germany" in very fine lettering, and it says Montblanc along a ring near the bottom of the cap, but looking at Montblanc's site, I don't see anything like this pen for sale. I've tried to disassemble it but none of the parts on it seem to be removable. Only the cap comes off, and it does so by pulling on it rather than unscrewing it. The cap is not threaded for screwing, nor is the body of the pen.

Here are some pictures that suck dick but I lack a camera better than my phone or a picture box, and am not entirely interesting in assembling one:

Edit: I kept trying and managed to unscrew the part holding the nib from the rest of the pen. There seems to be a gray plastic piece connecting to the tip, which I presume to be the reservoir. It is not rigid, and I can compress it, but I see no other means of filling the reservoir like a plunger or a lever, so perhaps I'm supposed to dip it in ink and squeeze so it will fill? Anyway, here are more pictures:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/207921-montblanc-meisterstuck-4810-14k-585-fountain-pen/ Based on this, that's a montblanc 144.

So here's a possibly-helpful review of one:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/221125-montblanc-144-classique/

Oh, I see you got it open, so there's that. That appears to be a cartridge, and apparently it takes regular international cartridges. It'll also take regular international converters, probably. In any event, you should be able to pull it out. Then you can use a syringe or a pipette or something and refill it.

But first, from your pictures, that nib looks kinda grimy, as if a bunch of ink has dried in it. So maybe let that sit in a cup of warm water for a few hours first? It could probably use a nice soak.