Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ff12 loving sucks by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What if Lightning is my God

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
just play this gme http://store.steampowered.com/app/415920/ its good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

but the characters don't talk like pricks and the devs aren't full of themselves making up half latin-half ancient greek words, how am i supposed to get into this?

(voidspire is good and he's right btw)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The White Dragon posted:

but the characters don't talk like pricks and the devs aren't full of themselves making up half latin-half ancient greek words, how am i supposed to get into this?

And the characters and their actions actually matter to the plot and the antagonists have interaction with the protagonists before the final 15 mins of the game! (FF12 is not good).

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

"Void" from the Latin "vocivos"
"Spire" from the Greek "speîra"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

can you make or name units in this

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Nah that's the Henne Mines, which are even worse
Can you farm for a Zodiac Spear as a random drop in the Henne Mines? I could have sworn it was in the same place as Zodiark.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember my first try at Zodiac was a disaster, because my only mage was a Time so I had no defensive buffs, healing, or even haste for hours.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can you farm for a Zodiac Spear as a random drop in the Henne Mines? I could have sworn it was in the same place as Zodiark.

There's a 1/1000 chance of the Zodiac Spear spawning in a specific respawning chest in the Henne Mines.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Countblanc posted:

can you make or name units in this

you make and name four dudes and then you FFT their classes

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

you make and name four dudes and then you FFT their classes

can i make them girls, very important i have an all-girl squad like my favorite final fantasy, FF X-2

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Okay I know it's an indie game and all and usually I'm really forgiving about this but holy poo poo this game is painful to look at.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mandatory lesbian posted:

can i make them girls, very important i have an all-girl squad like my favorite final fantasy, FF X-2

yes, and like final fantasy x-2, (bow)gunner is the most overpowered class

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

corn in the bible posted:

ff12 loving sucks by the way

For real. My earlier statement wasn't meant to be an indictment of the game's quality so much as how I can't play the IZJS version because the Reks opening just brought back bad memories of what that game is and how much I don't like it. I wasn't gonna make a several hours investment to see if I could like that version, because I didn't care enough about that game to begin with.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

This looks good and fun. I will play this some day when I am done with the 7 games I'm playing right now.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Help Im Alive posted:

What if Lightning is my God

Listen I've only just started LR and I am more than convinced that they pretty much made Lightning a god drat time lord.

Not to mention the combat system, hoo. First few fights were "Hold this button, switch schemata, hold this button again, switch schemata, repeat ad nauseum".

In fact, I almost noped out of the game once I jumped into a pole.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In 13, is there any way to distinguish between completed Cieth Stones and active but new ones on the map? I know once you get there they glow brighter but I'd really like to be able to know in advance to not bother going there. I'm on PC if there's a mod for that.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 25, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

In 13, is there any way to distinguish between completed Cieth Stones and active but new ones on the map? I know once you get there they glow brighter but I'd really like to be able to know in advance to not bother going there. I'm on PC if there's a mod for that.

New ones pulse in intensity instead of staying a consistent glow on on the map screen. It's somehow really hard to see on PC when I had no issue on consoles. An important note, if you've not uncovered the part of the map with the stone, it won't show up even if it's active. Definitely had me confused for a bit for hunt 16.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
FF12 is probably my favourite FF

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

corn in the fridge posted:

FF12 is probably my favourite FF

This is my opinion as well.

FFXII is an absolute gem and is one of the few FFs where I find combat legitimately fun and engaging.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's not your fault that you missed the V on the keyboard, on most regular keyboard's it's only one key apart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really enjoyed IZJS version of ff12 but vanilla 12 I just couldn't beat or bother with. I don't know who mentioned it, but I'd absolutely love another game using 12s core mechanics but with more things added from other games and more inventive boss fights to take advantage of he mmo style mechanics to force you to truly rethink your gambits.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's called FFXIV.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think my favourite part of XII was the death march for the Zodiac Spear. It turned vaguely survival horror and it was good fun. I quite liked the game in general, but that was the best bit. Well, that and then being able to just poke everything to death for the next few hours. Never finished it in the end. Poked my head in the last dungeon and then went off to do sidequests and I completely burned out.

Actually thinking about it, any part where there was a big buff enemy that would kick my rear end just wandering around I quite liked. I guess going to the Necrohol that just turned out to be every enemy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

It's called FFXIV.

I played that too, but you only get one character at a time. Give me a nice full party and I'd be in.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does FF14 have those lovely sneaking missions like Vaan had

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

Does FF14 have those lovely sneaking missions like Vaan had

Does pulling more or less mobs if you're in their cone of vision count? Because there is definitely that mechanic in a dungeon.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HD DAD posted:

FFXII is an absolute gem and is one of the few FFs where I find combat legitimately fun and engaging.

lol

for all the faults 13 has, the combat is way better and more involved than the rest of the series

x-2 also has good combat

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol

for all the faults 13 has, the combat is way better and more involved than the rest of the series

x-2 also has good combat

I kinda think 13's battle system is overrated a bit, since most battles you open SAB/RAV/RAV (or sometimes SAB/SYN/RAV), after debuffs switch to COM/RAV/RAV or RAV/RAV/RAV until Stagger, then COM/COM/COM if solo enemy. Switch to a paradigm with MED when necessarily, and rarely use SEN/SEN/SEN.

Yeah it's slightly more involved than "spam Attack/strongest magic" is for most FF games but if you had FF12's gambit system for 13 I'd be willing to bet you could automate the entire game besides maaaaaybe the Eidolon battles.

But then I'm not a big fan of twitch gameplay and prefer to take things slow so that's more the reason I don't like 13's battles that much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I kinda think 13's battle system is overrated a bit, since most battles you open SAB/RAV/RAV (or sometimes SAB/SYN/RAV), after debuffs switch to COM/RAV/RAV or RAV/RAV/RAV until Stagger, then COM/COM/COM if solo enemy. Switch to a paradigm with MED when necessarily, and rarely use SEN/SEN/SEN.

Yeah it's slightly more involved than "spam Attack/strongest magic" is for most FF games but if you had FF12's gambit system for 13 I'd be willing to bet you could automate the entire game besides maaaaaybe the Eidolon battles.

But then I'm not a big fan of twitch gameplay and prefer to take things slow so that's more the reason I don't like 13's battles that much.

The trick is that if you had FF12's gambit system you could automate every Final Fantasy game because they are largely very simplistic. Honestly you don't even need a gambit system, a reliable auto-battle system with a memory function can do it for most games. FF13's combat system focuses on speed which is probably for the best because depth has never been the franchise's strong suit.

(Most of the games do stand better if you do low-level challenges natch.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The trick is that if you had FF12's gambit system you could automate every Final Fantasy game because they are largely very simplistic. Honestly you don't even need a gambit system, a reliable auto-battle system with a memory function can do it for most games. FF13's combat system focuses on speed which is probably for the best because depth has never been the franchise's strong suit.

(Most of the games do stand better if you do low-level challenges natch.)

Definitely true. Once I did a pseudo-Berserker run for FF4 PSP where I had every battle on Auto with everyone attacking and had no problems until I got to the Sealed Cave. I should probably resume that someday, actually.

Using Auto-Battle with memory for bosses would be a nice challenge for 5 and 6 if the ports weren't so meh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Definitely true. Once I did a pseudo-Berserker run for FF4 PSP where I had every battle on Auto with everyone attacking and had no problems until I got to the Sealed Cave. I should probably resume that someday, actually.

Using Auto-Battle with memory for bosses would be a nice challenge for 5 and 6 if the ports weren't so meh.

That would be an interesting gimmick. Honestly any FF game with a reliable memory function could probably do it with, at worst, a bit of time with setup. FF5 has enough gimmicks that it might be rough but people have basically done all-Berserker runs so being able to do something besides just attack would make it pretty (relatively) easy I think.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

That would be an interesting gimmick. Honestly any FF game with a reliable memory function could probably do it with, at worst, a bit of time with setup. FF5 has enough gimmicks that it might be rough but people have basically done all-Berserker runs so being able to do something besides just attack would make it pretty (relatively) easy I think.

I guess you could simulate it by manually only doing one command per character per battle over and over. Doesn't have the same allure as Auto-Battle doing it but you'll actually be at a slight disadvantage since Auto lets the characters act as soon as possible.

Think I've found my next gimmick run.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Hey I noticed the FF4 DS remake was released on Steam, is it any significantly different then the GBA remake (other then augments of course, tho that alone is not enough to make me want it)

(also don't mention the after years i'm aware nobody likes that)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey I noticed the FF4 DS remake was released on Steam, is it any significantly different then the GBA remake (other then augments of course, tho that alone is not enough to make me want it)

Yes, it's significantly differently. It's a full remake and has a lot of changes. It's still the same basic game but has some writing changes, is obviously in 3D, has combat mechanic changes, a few gimmicks and twists the original didn't (augments being a big one), Namingway has been given his own sidequest since you can't change names anymore, stuff like that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gologle posted:

It's called FFXIV.

XIV looks really boring to play like every MMO
Feel free to convince me otherwise if you want.

Dunno about the Steam port but FF4DS has Augments which give permanent new abilities to your characters and influence their late-game stat boosts, a NG+ mode, two new super bosses, and most importantly the combat balance was completely rebalanced and made harder. It doesn't carry over the optional dungeons or character switching from the GBA version though.

I like it a lot.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 25, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean I play FFXIV and I can't really say it's not, it just has more dynamic bosses which give it a more interesting visual flair and it definitely hits the FF nerd grab pretty well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, it's significantly differently. It's a full remake and has a lot of changes. It's still the same basic game but has some writing changes, is obviously in 3D, has combat mechanic changes, a few gimmicks and twists the original didn't (augments being a big one), Namingway has been given his own sidequest since you can't change names anymore, stuff like that.

Augus posted:

Dunno about the Steam port but FF4DS has Augments which give permanent new abilities to your characters and influence their late-game stat boosts, a NG+ mode, two new super bosses, and most importantly the combat balance was completely rebalanced and made harder. It doesn't carry over the optional dungeons or character switching from the GBA version though.

I like it a lot.

Cool thanks, it sounds alright with them rebalancing combat but not bringing back party switching like in the GBA game is disappointing, tho I understand why they wouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

McDragon posted:

Actually thinking about it, any part where there was a big buff enemy that would kick my rear end just wandering around I quite liked. I guess going to the Necrohol that just turned out to be every enemy.

It's mainly the undead ghost guy, and sometimes horse(they show up rarely, but when they do, RUN. Not worth fighting the undead in FFXII), and Baknamy. The Baknamies(Baknamii?) pretty much always do a combo that only ends if you, or it, dies.

The ghost guy is called Oversoul, I believe. You can use the Nihothingie accessory and use a remedy on it, but if you don't get it off before it does an action, you better run.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 25, 2016