Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

kingcom posted:

Maybe thats why Kimsemus is locked up???

Kimsemus... why was he banned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Vote Eonwe in 2016

Is it ok if I don't and just say I did?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Is it ok if I don't and just say I did?

This is why secret ballots are terrible and should be changed.

Also, bring back "First Past the Post"

TIA

Eonwe's slogan is Make SA great again, it's a little derivative...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is why secret ballots are terrible and should be changed.

Also, bring back "First Past the Post"

TIA
Only if we replace them with lizards, like in the democracies of old.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Only if we replace them with lizards, like in the democracies of old.

Do dragons count as lizards?

If so I'm all for it.

Except Chameleons. gently caress those guys.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unfunny Poster posted:

It's all Eonwe's fault anyway. He just wants to make the OP for all the gaming threads, clearly.

lol, by the way, can I post that snippet? Also, where did that come from

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Do dragons count as lizards?

If so I'm all for it.
Only the Komodo variant. The rest are just a bunch of uppity chickens with a jewel fetish, and are therefore ineligible.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

lol, by the way, can I post that snippet? Also, where did that come from

Some of us trawl the Starbound thread as well. We know what your up to.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I eagerly await the unmitigated levels of disappointment these fuckwits will endure.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I eagerly await the unmitigated levels of disappointment these fuckwits will endure.

Im pretty sure its already starting. They have prepared the "tool" but CiG forgot the "spit" and people are gonna be "bleeding profusely" soon.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i made a new eve thread, enjoy

forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761524

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grimcreaper posted:

Some of us trawl the Starbound thread as well. We know what your up to.

lol

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's already happening.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/315152/space-combat-is-not-very-fun

$1000 - $2499 backer :kheldragar:

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I love how it's completely okay at this stage that there's still not a clear consensus on this. You would think that would raise some serious concerns. Fuckwits indeed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Unfunny Poster posted:

That's already happening.

Oh this is nothing. This is like expecting a tsunami and getting excited when the tide comes in.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I love how it's completely okay at this stage that there's still not a clear consensus on this. You would think that would raise some serious concerns. Fuckwits indeed.

If there's one thing the Star Citizen campaign was successful at, it was getting dumb nerds to believe the dumbest possible story with the worst excuses imaginable.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Darkpriest667 posted:

That is one of the most brilliant things I've seen in this thread. A+

I'm glad that psy101 class is paying off for both me and Sandi

Something I haven't seen mentioned in this thread: there is a great This American Life episode about a scam that you cannot help but see parallels to Star Citizen. I really recommend listening to it, it's Act 1 of this episode: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/571/the-heart-wants-what-it-wants

Here's some blurbs from the transcript - just replace 'woman' with 'spaceship' to apply this to SC:

quote:

Don told me he always wanted to be a writer, but his real talent was in being a hustler. He always had a scheme going.

In his early 30s, Don visited Mexico and wrote a traveler's guide where he explained how American men could live cheaply there, pick up women, and get by with rudimentary Spanish.

It was called Mexico, Bachelor's Paradise.

It didn't sell. And then he tried something most writers would never consider. He changed the name of the book's author to a woman's name. Sales skyrocketed, he said. Apparently, lonely American men didn't want tips from a guy. They wanted tips from a girl.

Don realized there was a market waiting to be exploited. He rented mailing lists from magazines that catered to single men and started writing letters to them, posing as different women. Men like Jesse were invited to join a club where, in exchange for a small fee, they could receive love letters.

In a moment of inspiration, Don decided to call the women who wrote the letters angels-- Angel Linda, Angel Kristina, Angel Pamala. He purchased stock photos of models and printed catalogs with photos and bios for each angel.

Angels came in different flavors. Some were compliant, helpless, and pure. Others were raunchy and sent nude photos of themselves. Most were young, and all were eager to please. Dream women for a certain kind of man, dreamed up, of course, by another man.

quote:

After a few letters to Jesse, Pamala let him know that the only thing she wanted was a little help. "Darling, I want you to know that I really love writing you every day. It has filled a great need in my life, and I know I'd be very sad if I had to stop writing you and being your friend. I hope you feel the same way about me and my letters to you. I think it's fair and reasonable for me to ask you to help with the expenses of paper, envelopes, postage, photos, and the other things I'll be sending you. If you could send me just $10 a week for my letters, I could continue writing every day as I have been."

Jesse was fine with that. He figures he sent in $4,000 or $5,000 between 1985 and '88. It wasn't a big deal to him.

quote:

As Don went on, he realized his members were hooked and he could take the fantasy further-- much further. He invented an epic world for his angels with a magical backstory and a fantastic future.

Here's how it worked. The angels supposedly live together in a retreat hidden away from the world. Most were lost souls, escaping drugs and bad men. These were women who needed a steady hand and a strong shoulder. As he invented more angels, Don came up with interweaving backstories. Some angels were good, some bad. Angels helped one another, backstabbed each other.

All the men who signed up to join the Lonely Hearts Club understood they were joining an organization of goodhearted men who were devoted to taking care of the angels. The organization was known as The Call. Don promised members of The Call that they would one day move with the angels to a valley paradise into a giant building shaped like a naked woman lying down on the grass. This lady-shaped building would house meeting rooms and auditoriums. The paradise was to be called Chonda-Za.

In exchange for their contributions, the members would have their needs looked after at Chonda-Za, all their needs. At the center of the entire fantasy was a matriarch, a saintly woman named Mother Maria. Maria collected and managed the money from the members, and she organized and disciplined the angels. She was said to have mystical powers and could revirginize fallen women.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

You clearly don't understand game development. There's never been a game so open and transparent at this stage.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm very confused. I just played a space flight game with responsive controls, good targeting, and effective weapons. It was Star Citizen. There was no lag, there was no lurching. I hooked my Hornet up with that massive fixed gun on the turret, so all I had for easy shooting was the wing guns, cranked up Arena Commander, and I was blowing up Vanduul with just the wing guns - and I was doing it easily, when previously it took five minutes to take one down. I even did some high-deflection shots and got some one-hit kills in with the ballistic cannon.

All it took was a brand new computer - Skylake processor, 16 gigs ram, 4 gigs video card ram, SSDs, Win10, and so on.

It played like butter.

All it took was a computer made of parts that just didn't exist when this version of CryEngine came out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Warcabbit posted:

I'm very confused. I just played a space flight game with responsive controls, good targeting, and effective weapons. It was Star Citizen. There was no lag, there was no lurching. I hooked my Hornet up with that massive fixed gun on the turret, so all I had for easy shooting was the wing guns, cranked up Arena Commander, and I was blowing up Vanduul with just the wing guns - and I was doing it easily, when previously it took five minutes to take one down. I even did some high-deflection shots and got some one-hit kills in with the ballistic cannon.

All it took was a brand new computer - Skylake processor, 16 gigs ram, 4 gigs video card ram, SSDs, Win10, and so on.

It played like butter.

All it took was a computer made of parts that just didn't exist when this version of CryEngine came out.

I would have believed you if you had 32gb of ram. 16 is child's play!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Warcabbit posted:

It played like butter.

16 gigs of ram isnt enough for croberts vision

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If there's one thing the Star Citizen campaign was successful at, it was getting dumb nerds to believe the dumbest possible story with the worst excuses imaginable.

All this while they paid a premium for the privilege.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Speaking of huge PC requirements, can you imagine what a private server would need?

"Ah, I finally got my very own private server up and running. I've got my hd and ram tower, upgraded my router and modem... and it only cost me 6 grand!"

"The BestBuy guy laughed at me when I said I needed 500gb of ram to run my own server, BUT WHO'S LAUGHING NOW, STEVE?!"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh this is nothing. This is like expecting a tsunami and getting excited when the tide comes in.

True.

I'm still shocked and somewhat appalled that someone tried to paint Totalbiscuit's criticisms as being because the dude has cancer and is just worried he won't play the game before he dies.

Call me crazy, but that is some hosed up logic.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

Have you seen Dowlphin's blog?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mirificus posted:

Have you seen Dowlphin's blog?

I skipped past it. Give me the highlights.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Unfunny Poster posted:

We're talking about people who paid huge sums of money for jpgs.

poo poo, at least the dude dropping a couple grand on... anything that actually exists can enjoy whatever he bought. With SC all you get to do is admire the pixels until they maybe get created without also loving you over at the same time.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

I skipped past it. Give me the highlights.
This one is long but worth reading.

I started here. The rabbit hole goes very deep.

The ponies are animated. At that point, I dared not venture any further into the abyss.

Mirificus posted:

The about page on that blog links to their other blogs and "Main website".

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I would have believed you if you had 32gb of ram. 16 is child's play!

The next 16 is going in in the next paycheck. It's a development box as much as anything, and I'm tossing around 5+ gigabyte map files. Whee.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mirificus posted:

This one is long but worth reading.

I started here. The rabbit hole goes very deep.

The ponies are animated. At that point, I dared not venture any further into the abyss.

:yikes:

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Solarin posted:

I'm glad that psy101 class is paying off for both me and Sandi

Something I haven't seen mentioned in this thread: there is a great This American Life episode about a scam that you cannot help but see parallels to Star Citizen. I really recommend listening to it, it's Act 1 of this episode: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/571/the-heart-wants-what-it-wants

Here's some blurbs from the transcript - just replace 'woman' with 'spaceship' to apply this to SC:

I learned it in Child Psych, Sociology, and Psychology. All were required for my degree.

That scam about Chonda-Za is fantastic. I wish I had thought of it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
somone posted this awhile back and I can't be arsed to find the original post:

but i feel like calling attention to the comments in the reddit thread:

and perhaps the oddest one:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to Vegas in a couple weeks

Suggest things for me to do

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

somone posted this awhile back and I can't be arsed to find the original post:

but i feel like calling attention to the comments in the reddit thread:

and perhaps the oddest one:

these people might be literal retards

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf31MzNgnNk

I think that this should be added to the SC vid playlist. One of my faves.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Eonwe posted:

Go to the Hofbrau House, drink real beer and take part in the stein holding competition. I was just there for New Years.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I would get drunk while watching other people piss money away.

it will be just like this thread tbh.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Eonwe posted:

Gamble
Drink
Eat

Do all of these to excess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted: