Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's not as giant of a leap as you're making it sound, and even if it was just one script, that's basically an entire year of pre-production completely wasted because he didn't like said script, which is still Not Good.

Is it particularly rare for producers to veto scripts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

Is it particularly rare for producers to veto scripts?

I don't know and I'm probably not the person to ask, but I'm willing to go with Frank Darabont's take on the situation (y'know, since he's the guy it happened to), which implies that it's pretty out of the ordinary, at least in those specific circumstances.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I don't think we can blame Lucas for that unless someone produces said script and it is somehow amazing.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

broken clock opsec posted:

Most directors don't make an Attack of the Clones

Yeah, most directors are awful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Attack of the Clones is one of the worst movies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I kind of hope Shia takes his performance art shtick to it's logical conclusion and ends up doing something so unforgivable or incapacitating that he can't possibly be in a new Indy movie.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

Attack of the Clones is one of the worst movies.

It's not even the worst Star Wars film.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I still enjoy the Prequel even through I think they are bad, but 2/3 of Attack of the Clone is just so bad, mostly due to Anakin and Padma love segments. That said, it doesn't have Jefferson Starship singing about the Diamonds in the Sky, so yeah it not the worst Star Wars movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

People know it entirely as a reference, though. It's all second hand. The way plenty of people instantly recognize the scene cribbed from "From Here to Eternity" without having seen the movie. Including plenty of people who did the send ups. Rosebud is more often a reference to another reference. When the Simpsons did it, the one nerd in the room nodded knowingly, then explained the joke to everyone else. Again, purely anecdotal, but in a film class, the teacher was pointing out all the references in the Simpsons (the many to the Godfather, Citizen Kane, 2001, Modern Times and so on) and the class found it revelatory. They could recognise that they were references, but they were not aware what they were referencing.

I'm wondering what might be the widest recognised secondhand film reference. Possibly "I think I hear banjos" or "Squeal like a pig!" from Deliverance?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Anyone see The Boy and was it as hilarious as the trailer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1U21VBSbSs

They've been showing commercials for that goddamned piece of poo poo like every commercial break this week on the CW and they're voiced over by some kid reciting the shittiest poem I've ever heard. Like half of it doesn't even rhyme.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm wondering what might be the widest recognised secondhand film reference. Possibly "I think I hear banjos" or "Squeal like a pig!" from Deliverance?

Are you feeling lucky?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Play it again Sam.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
How meta can we go with this? Because Jack Nicholson's Here's Johnny is incredibly famous but the reference itself might elude people.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Casimir Radon posted:

Play it again Sam.

I feel like I hear the "of all the gin joints..." line parodied or just used verbatim in TV/film constantly, definitely more than "play it again Sam". That and "are you taking to me?", which I most recently saw in Antman.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
I'm shocked -- SHOCKED -- to find the cultural impact discussion continuing on in this establishment!

No, not really...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED -- to find the cultural impact discussion continuing on in this establishment!

No, not really...

Clearly that means that cultural impact has a lot of cultural impact.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
As much as the cartoon that follows it is amazing, the worst theatrically released Star Wars movie will always be Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

As much as the cartoon that follows it is amazing, the worst theatrically released Star Wars movie will always be Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Even worse than the Ewok movies? They got a theatrical release in Europe.

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

This thread is closed until further notice!

Your winnings sir ...

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 25, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Even worse than the Ewok movies? They got a theatrical release in Europe.

This thread is closed until further notice!

Your winnings sir ...

*insert huge wet fart of a post about the artistry and craftsmanship of Ewok costumes compared to the lifeless drudgery of computer generated graphics*

Alternately, Ewok Adventure or whatever is so bad I forgot it existed. :O

The CG is REALLY rough in that movie though. The "everything bad on earth is Lucas' fault only" explanation I've heard is that he saw some early work on the show and was impressed that it was going great and was so impressed that he wanted the pilot to be a theatrical release and the team was like "okay that's great" and then he was like "no no no I want a theatrical release of this in four months" but who knows. I know the first season of the show is rough in general til the last third but even it is like Empire Strikes Back compared to that movie.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

raditts posted:

They've been showing commercials for that goddamned piece of poo poo like every commercial break this week on the CW and they're voiced over by some kid reciting the shittiest poem I've ever heard. Like half of it doesn't even rhyme.

our local cinema chain was paid to do this as promotion of the The Boy and i'm not convinced it makes me want to watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeO6U4wTy3I

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

probably should hve done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8gjkA4rEfM

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Saddest Rhino posted:

our local cinema chain was paid to do this as promotion of the The Boy and i'm not convinced it makes me want to watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeO6U4wTy3I

THIS MAY HAPPEN TO YOURSELF AFTER WATCHING THE MOVIE

ok, sure

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

broken clock opsec posted:

Most directors don't make an Attack of the Clones

Most great directors make terrible movies as they get older, the difference is that you don't see huge Internet communities and 10 hour long video series dedicated to constructing the narrative that, say, Coppola was always terrible and The Godfather was only good because of other people.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sleeveless posted:

Most great directors make terrible movies as they get older, the difference is that you don't see huge Internet communities and 10 hour long video series dedicated to constructing the narrative that, say, Coppola was always terrible and The Godfather was only good because of other people.

One of the other people who helped make The Godfather great: George Lucas

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TRIGGER WARNING: Prometheus

Most directors don't make nothing but non-stop incredible movies, but we go in expecting a lot when they directed one of our favorite movies. Like I loved Prometheus but LMAO at anyone that actually expected it to surpass or even be as good or as important as Alien.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

You might, if he followed up Godfather 3 with three more Godfather 3's.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm still shocked at how the director of Tremors went on to make nothing but bad movies afterwards. Tremors is so good, how can he go from that to Pluto Nash and an Usher movie?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

raditts posted:

He did.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

piratepilates posted:

I'm still shocked at how the director of Tremors went on to make nothing but bad movies afterwards. Tremors is so good, how can he go from that to Pluto Nash and an Usher movie?

Tremors does kinda feel like a weird sort of lightning-in-a-bottle instant cult movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

piratepilates posted:

Joe Dante is another director that made some good movies, then it was all downhill from there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

raditts posted:

The option is there, Paramount reached a settlement with Mario Puzo's estate in 2012 and can make more Godfather movies if they want.
http://deadline.com/2012/12/paramount-puzo-estate-settle-godfather-suit-393387/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

raditts posted:

He did, with at least 5 more Godfather 3's. FFG directed Captain EO, for gently caress's sake. Good wine though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Tremors really shouldn't work. It's the most cliched, broad, one-liner-ridden script in the world. But goddamn does it work.

So... maybe it was an accident?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

feedmyleg posted:

Tremors really shouldn't work. It's the most cliched, broad, one-liner-ridden script in the world. But goddamn does it work.

So... maybe it was an accident?

He didn't write it though, and aside from the style of the dialogue I don't think it's a bad screenplay (going only off of watching the movie). I feel like the acting and directing really make the movie great, so how did that directing talent disappear? Was there some kind of Secret History of Star Wars thing going on?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He did, with at least 5 more Godfather 3's. FFG directed Captain EO, for gently caress's sake. Good wine though.

I thought Captain EO was the result of Coppola having to take on any project that would earn him some money after the disastrous failure of One From the Heart nearly bankrupted him. His post-Godfather 3 output is generally solid. Well, Rainmaker and Dracula are, anyway.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The first movie he did after Godfather 3 was Dracula, which I unironically think is a great film, because of rather than despite its intense cheese.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Dracula is loving awesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

The first movie he did after Godfather 3 was Dracula, which I unironically think is a great film, because of rather than despite its intense cheese.

Dracula notwithstanding.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

i like it more than Apocalypse Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The problem isn't Dracula, it's all the films you haven't even heard of, like Twixt. Also Jack, which you probably have heard of. I don't think he can be blamed for Supernova, that was already a mess before they hired him to turn it into slightly less of a mess.

• Locked thread