Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Yeah, you can definitely tell they had a "what and how can we cut things?" meeting recently, yikes that was defensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

WatchOutWedge 6 points 25 minutes ago

great episode. He basically said exactly what I was expecting and hoping, which is that they are rolling FPS mechanics out as soon as they come online, and then once it's all sort of in place, they'll "release" Star Marine.

That's game development, and I'm fine with it.

Yes, that's *exactly* what he said.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"With SC Alpha 2.0 onwards, you have basically what we were planning to do from Star Citizen from the very very very beginning." - Chris Roberts, 2016-01-25

There you go guys. You've got your game. Refund denied.

Yeah, I guess this is exactly the route they planned to go with when I first heard of them starting to deny refunds en masse lol.

Welp, like I said back then...bring out the game reviewers and let's see how low we can go.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Viscous Soda posted:

Have you checked the Wayback Machine? There might be a cache of the page.

Good tip. So on this page you can see its status clearly as its own module, references as "First-Person Shooter":

https://web.archive.org/web/20160123225611/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/project-status

Keep in mind on that very same page, both SQ42 AND Star Marine are listed as "Status: Production", whereas the PTU is listed as "Status: Design." Which shows how nobody here knows anything about game development, because somehow the PTU was released first!

I can't get the machine to go back far enough for the full-page spread, but there are online previews here and there.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

gotta hand it to you chris, you really pulled a fast one on these dweebs and i respect that

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't get the machine to go back far enough for the full-page spread, but there are online previews here and there.

Actually, seems like you don't have to completely use the Wayback Machine. This is still on their page.

Or this one

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

1500 posted:

I can't believe he just did that. I can't wait for the mental gymnastics to start and we find how from the citizens how this was the plain all along.

any mention of Star Marine will lead to hordes of SC forum users just repeating Roberts andshouting "WE ALREADY HAVE IT STOP ASKING"

its amazing people can ask a question about a feature, and not see it in front of them.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

2DCAT posted:

Looking through these star marine updates, I don't know how I could have been so blinded that it was already released. For example:

"Where Star Marine differs from Arena Commander is that we’re not launching it in its most basic game. Instead, we’re trying for something more. It includes animation fidelity and attention to detail that you wouldn’t normally expect in an “alpha” gameplay module. There’s even an entire sci-fi sports game with zero-G movement fully simulated and animated in there! (And don’t worry, there’s traditional FPS action too… with some new ideas that aim to set Star Citizen apart from the crowd.)"

I mean, just look at the animation fidelity and attention to detail in pgabz vids again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI

Lmao. Can't get any more contradictory than that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

trucutru posted:

Edit: Hey, Beer, for this special occasion can't you make one of your recaps this poo poo?

I tried. I seriously did. I watched the video, tried to muster up enough energy to give a poo poo about what he's saying... and I couldn't. It went in one ear and out the other, leaving a residue that sounded and felt like a diseased shart, and I knew I couldn't do it.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Can't wait for the movie

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

This is either the most insane thing I've ever seen, or the most genius. By making sure his backers are developmentally disabled, Chris never has to announce the cancellation of any features - he just has to tell them all that "it's in the game." (Wasn't that another morally bankrupt production company's slogan for a while?) When it's time to kill the whole project, he'll just tell everyone "it's already out!" and these people will believe it!!!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah I skipped ahead. So now the narrative is that Star Marine was never going to actually be a thing - it was basically just shorthand for the fact that there'd be FPS in the game. Well, 2.1 has FPS, so Bingo! Star Marine delivered, promises met!

I specifically remember their site having a whole section on Star Marine so I went to check it out - amazingly enough, it's gone, and that part of the site was replaced with the push for SQ42.
I guess that's one way of solving the problem of Star Marine already being trademarked by someone else.

STAR MARINE - Trademark Details

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Wow they released star marine and didn't even tell anyone they had done it!!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Yo I heard Star Marine is out. Is it better than call of duty and Battlefield?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

alphabettitouretti posted:

lol whats the matter you can't tell, what's the matter stevie wonder not seeing the fidelty?

I'm pretty sure Call of duty and battlefield have been ripping off star marine since it's been out for a while now

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm still downloading the 30gb update, I'll let you know!!!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Better than both combined my friend. Latency is non existant thanks to the new matchmaker, game instance manager, and party service. Also, SATA Ball is the most popular new eSport around.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I tried. I seriously did. I watched the video, tried to muster up enough energy to give a poo poo about what he's saying... and I couldn't. It went in one ear and out the other, leaving a residue that sounded and felt like a diseased shart, and I knew I couldn't do it.

As I said, this was the first time I saw one of these shows and the whole thing is amazing. I am amazed at his capability to a) select questions that will create extra load for his project and b) apparently improvise the answers on his pre-recorded show. Ahahaha.

Like, seriously, what the gently caress? May as well take a kitchen knife and start stabbing your balls while you're at it. It's about as good an idea.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:laugh:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Better than both combined my friend. Latency is non existant thanks to the new matchmaker, game instance manager, and party service. Also, SATA Ball is the most popular new eSport around.

SATABall is def cool and worth my $4500 investment, but the real game are dragging the soda machine speed runs

we'll probably see some remarkable strides in soda machine dragging in 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Star Marine: The TRUE Call of Doodie.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

trucutru posted:

So, this is the first time I watch 10 for the chairman. Are you basically telling me that every freaking week Croberts gets in from of the camera and adds* months of extra promises to the content he is supposed to deliver? Holy poo poo!

*with the exception of star marine, which was only a side-project that they were making while they managed to put everything together and now that everything is together there is no need for it.

Edit: Hey, Beer, for this special occasion can't you make one of your recaps this poo poo?

I really like how they had to develop star marine as a side project to make sure they could get the fps part working ON A loving ENGINE MADE FOR FPS GAMES.

then they broke the crosshairs. forever.

sorry, slowly rolling out more fps mechanics that were working from day 1 until they broke them

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Madcosby posted:

Can't wait for the movie

So yes it is still in the pipeline. I do actually kind of like to say something because I sort of get annoyed sometimes when I see this pop up in comments like “Oh the documentary is cancelled or Where’s the documentary!?”. With our youtube channel, you have basically what we were planning to with the documentary and from the very very beginning. :v:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sounds loving sweet. I just built a new "rig", hopefully 128gb is sufficient ram to run crobber's opus. See you in the verse friends.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
its so annoying how roberts talks

his lips dont move, literally his jaw just moves up and and down

so mushy

so gross

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
They gave him over 100 million dollars and he tells them they annoy him when they ask him about the poo poo he promised. And they lap this poo poo up. :cmon:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Illegal Move posted:

Posted 4 hours ago in a Star Marine thread:

Gh0ul is quite the sychophant.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Nation posted:

Wow they released star marine and didn't even tell anyone they had done it!!

They're very modest and don't like to flaunt their hard work to the masses.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Scruffpuff posted:

This is either the most insane thing I've ever seen, or the most genius. By making sure his backers are developmentally disabled, Chris never has to announce the cancellation of any features - he just has to tell them all that "it's in the game." (Wasn't that another morally bankrupt production company's slogan for a while?) When it's time to kill the whole project, he'll just tell everyone "it's already out!" and these people will believe it!!!

C

I

G

It's in the game

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

trucutru posted:

As I said, this was the first time I saw one of these shows and the whole thing is amazing. I am amazed at his capability to a) select questions that will create extra load for his project and b) apparently improvise the answers on his pre-recorded show. Ahahaha.

Like, seriously, what the gently caress? May as well take a kitchen knife and start stabbing your balls while you're at it. It's about as good an idea.

I had no idea this was pre-recorded as i've not watched one of them but lmao how do you gently caress up when you have total --- yea nevermind :lol:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

What do they call those groups that believe the world will end on a specific date, and the date comes, and nothing happens, and the leader changes his tune, and then they follow that, and that keeps happening, and they never wise up? What are those groups of people called?

It's on the tip of my tongue.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

How much for the DLC which adds a third gun.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

trucutru posted:

Star Citizen: Stabbing your balls is just as good

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah I skipped ahead. So now the narrative is that Star Marine was never going to actually be a thing - it was basically just shorthand for the fact that there'd be FPS in the game. Well, 2.1 has FPS, so Bingo! Star Marine delivered, promises met!

I specifically remember their site having a whole section on Star Marine so I went to check it out - amazingly enough, it's gone, and that part of the site was replaced with the push for SQ42.

It's pretty funny because if anyone ever needed proof that the project is being mis-managed and money is being wasted, there's now video evidence of Chris admitting to as much.

He's straight up admitting they pissed away a shitload of resources into a thing they've now binned.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Scruffpuff posted:

What do they call those groups that believe the world will end on a specific date, and the date comes, and nothing happens, and the leader changes his tune, and then they follow that, and that keeps happening, and they never wise up? What are those groups of people called?

It's on the tip of my tongue.

Not sure of the name of the group, but the book based on the study you are probably thinking of is "When Prophecy Fails"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

trucutru posted:

So, this is the first time I watch 10 for the chairman. Are you basically telling me that every freaking week Croberts gets in from of the camera and adds* months of extra promises to the content he is supposed to deliver? Holy poo poo!

*with the exception of star marine, which was only a side-project that they were making while they managed to put everything together and now that everything is together there is no need for it.
Yes.

He's up to Episode 75, and thus has answered 750 questions, almost always affirming even outlandish or horribly complicated requests. Rare is the occasion he flatly answers no (maybe once every few episodes he might).

So there are at least 600 specific feature-related promises-- many of which are new or double down on commitments made in the original crowdfunding pitch and in stretch goals.

Which is what makes tonight's Star Marine answer quite interesting. Consider what was promised in Episode 59 of "Ten for the Chairman".

quote:

"AS FAR AS THE FPS IS CONCERNED, WHAT GAMES HAVE YOU DRAWN ON FOR INSPIRATION? WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE STAR MARINE MODULE AS HAVING A FAMILIAR FEEL OR FLAVOR? HOW WILL THAT PORTION OF THE GAME DIFFER FROM OTHER TYPES OF FPS EXPERIENCES?

CHRIS ROBERTS:"It depends, for me, I play a fair amount of FPS, I’m not a crazy FPS die-hard, COD, BF (which is my favourite because I value the idea of teamwork, like multiple people manning vehicles etc) which you can kindof see in the way we’re going with multi-crewed ships etc. I like that aspect of FPS gameplay, I liked FC4 and FC3, but I don’t want the FPS to be specifically too much like all the other ones, we have different respawn mechanics, I do think COD doesn’t feel as organic as I’d like, I’d say that FC and BF do it better for me. Arma 3 is interesting in that it’s more realism based, we’re trending towards that. We’re taking elements from all of them and going for more a slightly slower paced game, you don’t respawn instantly, if you get shot your friend might drag you back and heal you with a stimpak etc. The combat itself is potentially more lethal, it might be that you die and then you’re out for that session. I think we’ll have the battlefield feel of how your weapons and movement work, but with an influence from say rainbow 6 and arma in realism, but not too far, just an idea where we have trade-offs, like people might not want a helmet/view restrictions, so they can wear less armour, but while you might see more or move faster you’re more susceptible to damage etc. You might get out of breath quicker in heavy armour etc, all of these things will be resource management while you fight, which differs ours from some of the faster FPS’s like COD, Halo or destiny (although destiny has good weapon management). So we just need to balance it between realism and sci-fi fun, somewhere between battlefields/destinies to arma style with some extra elements like zero-g stuff and varied weapons."

Star Marine: (2015)

Battlefield 4: (2013)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Illegal Move posted:

I just want to take a moment here to congratulate Chris Roberts and the rest of the team on delivering Star Marine. I no longer have any doubts in this project, if they delivered Star Marine then obviously they can deliver everything else as well!

I am going to be loading up on ships just as soon as I get home. I can't wait to participate in this amazing new era of FPS goodness!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Not sure of the name of the group, but the book based on the study you are probably thinking of is "When Prophecy Fails"

Even better is that Chris just outplayed every end-of-world cult leader in recent memory. "Guys, I WAS RIGHT! The world DID end when I said! It's been ended this whole time! This is what I was saying the end of the world would look like in the very very beginning. Pretty much how it looks now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

"People that pledged for Star Marine already have their FPS"

Boy, the news of this very modest and hushed launch sure spread fast.

• Locked thread