Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Do we have to play human in Andromeda, because if so that kind of sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Pretty certain I read you are a human yeah.

My guess for how it'll fit in is it was a secret mission running concurrently to the main timeline to send humanity out in to another galaxy, but the tech they have means they have to slowboat it. That way they don't have to worry about the endings or much else.

Haven't been pouring down over what little info is out there though so maybe this can be discounted already.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 24, 2016

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Do we have to play human in Andromeda, because if so that kind of sucks.
Pfft, as if you'd want to play an inferior species when you could go "Humanity, gently caress yeah!"

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hm, now that you've got me thinking of the endings and how they can drastically change things about the Reapers. The inclusion/exclusion of those details would still be notable either way even millenia afterwards. I wonder how they'll work out any potential reverse-engineering of Reaper tech (or hell, how our choices affected the mass relays themselves and the Milky Way societies that depend on it) without transferred save data. The Reaper tech idea is making me wonder what our hero ship for ME4 will look like or how it'll work. And speaking of getting to Andromeda in the first place, there's only one kind of ship in ME that's confirmed to fly in intergalactic space. Especially interesting in terms of getting around since there may not be any relays in Andromeda.

Trying to be vague here since I know a poster said they were mostly unspoiled and wanted to follow the LP.

Of course they may just try their damnedest to gloss over the ME3 endings and associated poo poo storm. :v:

I'm fairly certain Andromeda is a soft reboot of the setting because trying to account for all possible choices in Andromeda would be a nightmarish clusterfuck, better to start again than have the game tainted with the Reaper poo poo from the trilogy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

And in Andromeda there will be these ancient machines known as the Harvesters that... :v:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Poil posted:

And in Andromeda there will be these ancient machines known as the Harvesters that... :v:

It ends with "There's always a ship, there's always a Commander, there's always a galaxy..."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm fairly certain Andromeda is a soft reboot of the setting because trying to account for all possible choices in Andromeda would be a nightmarish clusterfuck, better to start again than have the game tainted with the Reaper poo poo from the trilogy.

I mean, getting rid of the Reapers is a good idea because they were never that great.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Night10194 posted:

I mean, getting rid of the Reapers is a good idea because they were never that great.

As what they were in 1 and up-until-the-last-boss 2, they were pretty good. Sovereign's speech in 1 is still one of the better lines in the whole series, and the idea of an entire species hollowed out and transformed into nothing more than the most efficient possible pawns for their distant masters does a decent job of selling you on them as a distant and largely incomprehensible threat. But in 1, they had Saren to carry the narrative weight of being The Bad Guy. And in 2, the Reapers take a backseat to a bunch of character vignettes. Sure, they're out there, they're mean, and that Harbinger guy is a prick, but you're handling problems that you CAN handle instead of the roving evil bug armada, itself just one of the Reapers' failsafe plans.

And then, the giant terminator baby made of jellied human happens. And then ME3 happens.

The problem is that Bioware set themselves up to fail: you need to find a way to reconcile something the size of Kansas City saying "you exist because we allow it; you will end because we command it" with the narrative necessity that eventually you're gonna shoot one of them in the face. And there's really no elegant way to do that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They were fine in 1, yes. They only really worked as a distant threat that you foil the poo poo out of by preventing their return or stopping them from pulling off the bullshit that let them curbstomp everyone every other time. You're right that a big part of the problem is that there's just no way to engage the Reapers in gameplay since you're a dude (or lady) with a rifle and they're giant dreadnoughts.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Bug Spray

In honor of Snowmageddon 2016 we head to Peak 15 with the intention of finding Benezia but it turns out things are all kinds of hosed up (surprise, surprise). Space cockroaches have taken over the place, we have to do the world's worst puzzle to fix a computer and the trains aren't running on time. WIth special guest LP master Lazyfire.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This game is full of bugs!

Every time I see/play this part I forget just how many elevators there are. But it's not too bad, it is supposed to be up on a peak and it breaks up all the endless corridors a little.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I was just pistoling the tiny Rachni, then shotgunned the larger ones

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SubponticatePoster posted:

Bug Spray

In honor of Snowmageddon 2016 we head to Peak 15 with the intention of finding Benezia but it turns out things are all kinds of hosed up (surprise, surprise). Space cockroaches have taken over the place, we have to do the world's worst puzzle to fix a computer and the trains aren't running on time. WIth special guest LP master Lazyfire.
Requesting airhorns and confetti next time you do something of the scale of the 300m headshot

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
We definitely need an MLG sniper montage after OP finishes ME1.

Poil posted:

whowhatwhere posted:

It ends with "There's always a ship, there's always a Commander, there's always a galaxy..."

All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again. :awesomelon:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again. :awesomelon:

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legends. Legends fade to myth, and even myth fades when the age that birthed it comes again.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

berenzen posted:

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legends. Legends fade to myth, and even myth fades when the age that birthed it comes again.

tl;dr Andromeda is gonna be a graphics upgrade for ME1

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

We'll have the valiant protagonist Goatard fighting the evil Harvesters, and in the sequel there will be the never-shutting-up Precursor and his servants: The Hoarders.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Ze Pollack posted:

The problem is that Bioware set themselves up to fail: you need to find a way to reconcile something the size of Kansas City saying "you exist because we allow it; you will end because we command it" with the narrative necessity that eventually you're gonna shoot one of them in the face. And there's really no elegant way to do that.

See I was thinking about that the other week. If Bioware actually planned ahead, the collector base at the tail end of ME2 would have been a great opportunity to snag plans for a crucible-like weapon in a much more elegant manner. One of the secondary Collector objectives could have been scouring the galaxy for prothean artifacts, beacons and the like and inside the base you could have found a whole stockpile of them, a thorough scan of which could have revealed tangible, if still theoretical, plans for anti-reaper weaponry that the protheans developed when it was too late that the Collectors were trying to destroy evidence of. Or just war analysis data wherein protheans discovered a potential Achilles heel to smite these supposedly neigh-invincible cuttlefish. Or some other macguffin ultimately found where the reapers didn't expect penetration. Something like that would have been far more elegant than pushing all that onto a discovery on mars found moments after the beginning the reaper invasion-proper at the start of ME3.

It also would have given far more credibility to the question do we keep the collector base? other than TIM noticing humans + liquidation =:pcgaming: dark science :pcgaming:

hard counter fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 25, 2016

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Night10194 posted:

Thats kind of a problem because literally and figuratively the reapers are the basis of everything in the mass effect setting. The reapers ARE mass effect.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Sarkozymandias posted:

Thats kind of a problem because literally and figuratively the reapers are the basis of everything in the mass effect setting. The reapers ARE mass effect.

Exactly.

Basically Andromeda's just leveraging the brand to goose sales for a new setting. With the experience they had failing with Mass Effect this should lead to more of what the series is good at (characters, vignettes) and less apocalyptic overarching narrative that's clearly kludged together, makes little sense, and composed of radical changes in direction in accordance to the whims of the directors/publisher.

Also hopefully we won't have another Shepard and they'll go the Dragon Age route with new player characters each game.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hard counter posted:

See I was thinking about that the other week. If Bioware actually planned ahead, the collector base at the tail end of ME2 would have been a great opportunity to snag plans for a crucible-like weapon in a much more elegant manner. One of the secondary Collector objectives could have been scouring the galaxy for prothean artifacts, beacons and the like and inside the base you could have found a whole stockpile of them, a thorough scan of which could have revealed tangible, if still theoretical, plans for anti-reaper weaponry that the protheans developed when it was too late that the Collectors were trying to destroy evidence of. Or just war analysis data wherein protheans discovered a potential Achilles heel to smite these supposedly neigh-invincible cuttlefish. Or some other macguffin ultimately found where the reapers didn't expect penetration. Something like that would have been far more elegant than pushing all that onto a discovery on mars found moments after the beginning the reaper invasion-proper at the start of ME3.

ME2 did end with Shepard looking at blueprints of a Reaper, so that may have been the original plan.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I think that was a flavor shot for direction. One of the complaints against ME2 was that, in terms of contribution to plot, the game was a wet fart when it came to addressing the overarching reaper threat. You could go ME1 to ME3 and barely miss anything since the ME2 conflict was limited to the collectors (as pawns of the reapers) and was resolved flat. A shot of Shepard looking at a reaper dataslate and then a shot of a reaper hoard on the fringes of the galaxy sets the direction for the next game that, yes, this one will be about actual reapers.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

whowhatwhere posted:

Also hopefully we won't have another Shepard and they'll go the Dragon Age route with new player characters each game.

We probably will. It's good for ME to have a recurring main character for a few games IMHO, let DA do it's own thing, it's a different series.

hard counter posted:

I think that was a flavor shot for direction. One of the complaints against ME2 was that, in terms of contribution to plot, the game was a wet fart when it came to addressing the overarching reaper threat. You could go ME1 to ME3 and barely miss anything since the ME2 conflict was limited to the collectors (as pawns of the reapers) and was resolved flat. A shot of Shepard looking at a reaper dataslate and then a shot of a reaper hoard on the fringes of the galaxy sets the direction for the next game that, yes, this one will be about actual reapers.

Maybe ME2 didn't work in the Reaper story but it was a very character-driven game story and that I loved. Like, there's no reason for most of the game you couldn't go straight to the end dungeon and technically win and accomplish all your objectives but you held off because the individual stories and missions were so interesting and you wanted to help these people. And that was totally intentional on Bioware's part. So I'm hoping ME4 (through 6?) sticks with "we're exploring and colonizing a new galaxy" and gives you interesting stories and maybe a specific overarching objective each game but keeps it pretty episodic past the general "we're colonists" mission.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ME2's strongest point was how little it had to do with the Reaper Threat.

Weirdly, they worked great in ME1 because it had a clear idea for how to deal with them: You find out what the gently caress they are, what they have to do to win, and then you prevent that. Simple, but it worked.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

DeusExMachinima posted:

Maybe ME2 didn't work in the Reaper story but it was a very character-driven game story and that I loved.

I agree with you 100% and I think ME2 was the series sweet spot. If someone wants to make a critique of it though, I could understand addressing its main plot as it (barely, if at all) contributes to the series as a whole. Even most its the characters went underused in ME3 with cheap knock-offs filling in just as well.

e: that headshot distance :stare:

hard counter fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 25, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One thing that really disappointed me in ME2 was the space battle near the end. It just dragged on for far too long and the dense junk field of crap they had to navigate through is one thing I've never cared for in sci-fi. The big bad ship getting one-shotted was really anti climatic but those silly barrels were somehow supposed to be a threat? Lol, no. Just no. You even take one out by hand for fucks sake. Oh no, the Normandy is being chased by one of them until Joker gets serious and does an amazing and unpredictable move, a loop, which totally outmaneuvers the dull enemy drone. Yawn. The drat cutscene is unskippable too to make things even worse and I almost wanted to the first time I saw it.

Compare it to the space fight in ME1 end which is way more tense and interesting and actually has a real and dangerous enemy. I don't actually know if the ME1 cutscene is unskippable or not as I have never even felt like finding out.

tldr: :rant:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I actually liked the sequence that lead up to the Collector Base invasion although it gets pretty funny if you didn't finish every companion sidequest and thus make them loyal, because some of them die in that sequence, on my very first run of ME2, I only lost Grunt as he died during the hold the line sequence when you go to fight the Giant Terminator.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's fun if you purposely want to kill people off though. Not only do you save time by not having to do their loyalty quest but you can easily get rid of them!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It's funny how you kind of have to put in more effort for an ending where everyone dies than one where most/all of your crew survives.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Honestly if me4 was entirely built around meeting ur squad and then deciding which ones you send to their deaths on the final level, i'd preorder it in a heartbeat. especially if i could kill jacob and miranda again

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Regalingualius posted:

It's funny how you kind of have to put in more effort for an ending where everyone dies than one where most/all of your crew survives.

I think they expected 1-2 crewmember kills or at least the crew getting melted by Collector tubes, but the internet figured out how to do a no-death (well, except for that one colonist :rip: ) run really fast. And since a no-death run also entails actually playing the entire game's available content, getting a fuckup run involves either skipping or deliberately loving up the majority of the game itself. It's sort of self-defeating in a sense: to ruin this game, you must not actually play this game!

But hey, great to watch on Youtube.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's also annoying since it means that you can't really get all the fun Legion interactions unless you plan it very well, also because the 360 disc size was too small.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, you can do the most important one with Legion involving Tali's mission. That was fun.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wait, I thought you would get teammate deaths regardless of their loyalty if you didn't install key ship upgrades like the cannon, the shields and stuff

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Aces High posted:

Wait, I thought you would get teammate deaths regardless of their loyalty if you didn't install key ship upgrades like the cannon, the shields and stuff

Yes feel free to consult the chart.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Aces High posted:

Or if you send them on the wrong jobs (apparently a lot of people thought Thane belonged in the vents :shepicide: ). Even a loyal Zaeed will die if you make him fireteam leader, though that guddamn guy can hold the line all by himself disloyal.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

SubponticatePoster posted:

Or if you send them on the wrong jobs (apparently a lot of people thought Thane belonged in the vents :shepicide: ). Even a loyal Zaeed will die if you make him fireteam leader, though that guddamn guy can hold the line all by himself disloyal.

I did
The cutscenes that explain the task put more emphasis on the "THESE ARE VENTS" part than on the hacking part

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kurieg posted:

It's also annoying since it means that you can't really get all the fun Legion interactions unless you plan it very well, also because the 360 disc size was too small.

You can use Gibbed to add Legion once you get control of the Normandy and bring him to all the missions since he has dialogue for everything.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

I did
The cutscenes that explain the task put more emphasis on the "THESE ARE VENTS" part than on the hacking part

Yeah, same with Miranda volunteering for barrier duty when she's one of the worst for the job, and guarantees the fireteam's survival if she's in charge of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

monster on a stick posted:

You can use Gibbed to add Legion once you get control of the Normandy and bring him to all the missions since he has dialogue for everything.

What happens if you bring him on his own recruitment mission?

• Locked thread