Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

What do they call those groups that believe the world will end on a specific date, and the date comes, and nothing happens, and the leader changes his tune, and then they follow that, and that keeps happening, and they never wise up? What are those groups of people called?

It's on the tip of my tongue.

Are you thinking of doomsayers? That's the only word i could dig out of my brain

Also,

quote:

imagine....No pics of Wulf Knight's dick

This was beautiful well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Solarin posted:

Are you thinking of doomsayers? That's the only word i could dig out of my brain

I may have been thinking of "cult", but that can't be right, because I was going to compare them to Star Citizens, and surely they're nothing like that.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Scruffpuff posted:

The gaming media is watching Star Marine Citizen the same way you watch your friend hook up with a stripper he keeps telling you is "really into him." They all know what's going on, but nobody wants to make the first move and say something, because they know that they'll be in for a rash of poo poo and abuse if they do. It's like a game of chicken. Multiple outlets need to open fire on this mess simultaneously, but that'll never happen, because it's more advantageous to hope your competition does it so you can watch the community tear them apart from a safe distance.

Cowards - all of them. Gotta hand it to the Escapist, Forbes (of all places), and the few others who had the balls to question this. But as it gets worse and worse, it's surprising not to see at least a few more.

It's an interesting theory but I feel there's a more cynical reason for the leniency from the game-press.

Basically, if you badmouth a game still in development, you'll have a hard time to get invited for press-events, both from the developers in question and potentially other developers, if your criticism gets enough attention. Journalists gotta eat, and they gotta make sure they get job not just this week but the next one as well, so any and all criticism is very fluffy and camouflaged as "too early to tell just yet!"

I feel this is a general problem with journalism. I might be looking into things too much, but i wonder how often we really see PC Gamer rip a developer apart outside of an actual review. You ask safe questions, keep the big worries to yourself, and claim a safe check.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Wait, did they for real confirm Star Marine was cancelled? Cause that would make a great, fan angering, write up right there.

From what I gather, (I haven't actually watched Chris speak, someone who can tolerate him correct me) they are basically now saying Star Marine is "the FPS" which is already in Star Citizen Alpha, and will continue to be improved upon in version 2.2, 2.3, 2.4.

For any reasonable person, this means cancelled or at best, (very charitably) delayed until final release. For the brown sea, well I guess we'll see now.

And as OhDearGodNo put it, the fps in Star Citizen Alpha looks nothing like what was shown throughout last year.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Regarding press involvement, watch this space, I have something in the pipeline.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

So he gets annoyed when a lack of plausible and consistent information leads people who are encouraged to use their imagination for everything they're paying for (because they aren't receiving it in any timely manner) to assume the worst. He gets annoyed when scenarios of his own creation as he vaguely waffles on about things he will put in at some point just to keep the people feeding him money.

Chris Roberts deserves to step on a lego piece.

I wouldn't wish that upon my greatest enemy. I did that once and it made me bleed like nuts for a while. Had to get stitches... there is no pain greater than that of a Lego piece stepped on.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

You are a lovely lovely man, and you make lovely lovely videos :five:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Regarding press involvement, watch this space, I have something in the pipeline.

:eyepop:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
pgabz has assumed Smart status

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have ascended

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
leave star citizen alone guys, its an alpha

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I find it somewhat humorous that a lot of the delays were based on the "juke" animations.

Once those got sorted, it would have been out the door. But they never got sorted, they scrapped them and within the next month it all went silent.

I have to imagine someone in the next decade will stumble on the maps/animations left behind and piece together that portion of the game again.

What an absolute fiasco.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

grimcreaper posted:

I wouldn't wish that upon my greatest enemy. I did that once and it made me bleed like nuts for a while. Had to get stitches... there is no pain greater than that of a Lego piece stepped on.

I stepped on a d4 once. Had me on bedrest for like 3 days.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is around the hour that D.Smart begins posting so let me remind you guys that, if you read his blog, he had already predicted all this. Just saying.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

I find it somewhat humorous that a lot of the delays were based on the "juke" animations.

Once those got sorted, it would have been out the door. But they never got sorted, they scrapped them and within the next month it all went silent.

I have to imagine someone in the next decade will stumble on the maps/animations left behind and piece together that portion of the game again.

What an absolute fiasco.

They will have to use some kind of recovery software to do it and they'll be like 'wtf' when Far Cry boots up

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
next announcement: 'Hey all, Cuban tourism just opened up. Me and the team are taking a few days and getting some fine Cuban cigars! See you in the 'verse!'

'Ok Chris, have fun!'

*6 months later, nothing from CIG*

'He'll be back.'

peter gabriel posted:

I am become them

you stared too deep into the void, and the void looked back

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

trucutru posted:

This is around the hour that D.Smart begins posting so let me remind you guys that, if you read his blog, he had already predicted all this. Just saying.

^same

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

trucutru posted:

To be fair, he is the one that said Star Marine was not going to happen- back in July of last year.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Here's the greatest Space Star Marine....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaxCaYMF_K0

And surprise, surprise he's a CITIZEN.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/1752272/#Comment_1752272

Semper TARD.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
You know, I'm starting to think the idea to develop this game as separate modules and then merge them all together wasn't a very good one.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

I may have been thinking of "cult", but that can't be right, because I was going to compare them to Star Citizens, and surely they're nothing like that.

Haha I take SCs cult status so for granted I had to come up with some specialty types of cults like doomsayers. Crobberts is probably more of a spergsayer though

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/270217/player-character-vaccination-for-interstellar-travel

Since the persistent universe of Star Citizen will be vast indeed, and the game will be a sim, I think we should have a discussion on vaccinations. I believe all our characters should have mandatory vaccination for interstellar travel due to different microbial systems that each planet or station may have. Since the game is set in the future I believe that most of the toxins would be removed from these vaccinations that thus our player characters, or their possible offspring would not develop any adverse effects that would be detrimental to their health.

If a player refuses to get vaccinated I believe they should be tagged so that we can choose to interact with them or not, and possibly maybe have the UEE force them with a minor jail sentence to receive said booster shot for the greater good of the intergalactic community.

What does everyone else think?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The reason is quite simple...they couldn't merge the development trees and poo poo.

Between that and all the bone/rig remodels, ship remodels, redoing the Connie for the 3rd loving time and the fact they shitcanned everything with the BMM (That is going to piss a lot of people off)...yet somehow I can buy a loving a fish in the verse.

It's just a minor point that will be hand waved off like everything else.

Will be interesting to see the Come to Jesus meeting results in the next week or two.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

Imagine there's no shotgun
And missing crosshairs too
No private servers
Floors that we all fall through
Imagine all the people
Getting loving played...

Imagine there's no physics
And no persistence too
And Chris's only focus
Is Squadron 42
Imagine all the people
Getting loving screwed...

You may say I'm a traitor
Cause I think this poo poo ain't fun
But on this day we all learned
Star Marine was always done

Imagine no more JPEGS
Does that thought make you sick
No more canned animations
No pics of Wulf Knight's dick
Imagine all the people
Playing other games...

You may say I'm a traitor
Cause I think this poo poo ain't fun
But on this day we all learned
Star Marine was always done

:five:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Matlock Birthmark posted:

You know, I'm starting to think the idea to develop this game as separate modules and then merge them all together wasn't a very good one.

why not? it worked.

star marine is here already. successful merge

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

I liked the pgabz video

e: my concerns are fading away and I feel confident about the future

Happy Sisyphus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 26, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Madcosby posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/270217/player-character-vaccination-for-interstellar-travel

Since the persistent universe of Star Citizen will be vast indeed, and the game will be a sim, I think we should have a discussion on vaccinations. I believe all our characters should have mandatory vaccination for interstellar travel due to different microbial systems that each planet or station may have. Since the game is set in the future I believe that most of the toxins would be removed from these vaccinations that thus our player characters, or their possible offspring would not develop any adverse effects that would be detrimental to their health.

If a player refuses to get vaccinated I believe they should be tagged so that we can choose to interact with them or not, and possibly maybe have the UEE force them with a minor jail sentence to receive said booster shot for the greater good of the intergalactic community.

What does everyone else think?

Lol, show him the Penn and Teller episode on vaccinations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

From what I gather, (I haven't actually watched Chris speak, someone who can tolerate him correct me) they are basically now saying Star Marine is "the FPS" which is already in Star Citizen Alpha, and will continue to be improved upon in version 2.2, 2.3, 2.4.

For any reasonable person, this means cancelled or at best, (very charitably) delayed until final release. For the brown sea, well I guess we'll see now.

Towards the end of the ramble, where he admonished people for asking him about Star Marine, he mentioned once all the FPS is done in the PU, they will "turn on" the two maps. Which means Star Marine is done. 100% promise he will break that promise.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

The reason is quite simple...they couldn't merge the development trees and poo poo.

Between that and all the bone/rig remodels, ship remodels, redoing the Connie for the 3rd loving time and the fact they shitcanned everything with the BMM (That is going to piss a lot of people off)...yet somehow I can buy a loving a fish in the verse.

It's just a minor point that will be hand waved off like everything else.

Will be interesting to see the Come to Jesus meeting results in the next week or two.

The reason is even simpler than that. Illfonic was tired of their never ending and ever-changing requirements so they asked for more money.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Go go go commando!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

please be more real than the lawsuit

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Pgabz you magnificent dancing cat, never stop making videos. :pgabz:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

LowellDND posted:

I stepped on a d4 once. Had me on bedrest for like 3 days.

Oh poo poo... that's awful. Gotta tell me though, did you roll a 1 on a dodge throw before stepping on it?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Toops posted:

Which means Star Marine is done. 100% promise he will break that promise.

Seems to me that one would be easy to keep. I'm sure they could throw Illfonic's scraps at people and call it two maps.

But I'm glad he's implying it's as easy as hitting a switch that he's not doing for some reason.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

trucutru posted:

We know ^this to be a FACT! End of story. Period!

(this is more fun than it should be)

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

peter gabriel posted:

I have ascended

you sir have a giant penis

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Star Citizen: The $2500 Javelin is already in the game.

cixorez
Aug 19, 2015

Action-Hank's #1 Rule:

"It's wrong to be a Brony !!"

Eonwe posted:

i submit that there has never been a good space game

sim

space sim
check this out

http://en.spaceengine.org/

done with a measly 38k
imagine those guys getting 106mil...

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What was that game with the 16 bitish graphics that looked like a lot of fun? It was like that one you just posted but it had combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

You can absolutely develop software (or pieces of a software) like that and its how many large software suites are done.

However, for that to work you have to use clear, precise content and design docs and for the love that all is holy you don't change them mid-development unless there is a glaring error. Guess what part CIG forgot ?

• Locked thread