Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

aleksendr posted:

You can absolutely develop software (or pieces of a software) like that and its how many large software suites are done.

However, for that to work you have to use clear, precise content and design docs and for the love that all is holy you don't change them mid-development unless there is a glaring error. Guess what part CIG forgot ?

All of those parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

trucutru posted:

To be fair it's something that has never ever been tried before so you cannot expect them to figure in advance all those little details. Like, how can you prevent someone else from stealing your ship? it's not like keys are available in the future.

"Once we see how Elite does multi-crew, we'll copy that, but ours will be better because of FIDELITY, see!! We'll... we'll even show it off the day after E:D multi-crew releases, so nyah!"

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

trucutru posted:

To be fair it's something that has never ever been tried before so you cannot expect them to figure in advance all those little details. Like, how can you prevent someone else from stealing your ship? it's not like keys are available in the future.

The problem is they want boarding, yet like every single thing in the game, they have no idea how they are going to implement it. So for now, the future forgot keys.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

When Elite releases multicrew I'm going to be so happy seeing the cult reaction :allears:

If Frontier took a conscious effort to develop multiplayer is be all over it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dapper Dan posted:

The problem is they want boarding, yet like every single thing in the game, they have no idea how they are going to implement it. So for now, the future forgot keys.

They already have boarding. Didn't you hear Chris? Mission Accomplished.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Thread Title: "No More Star Marine? YES more Star Marine!!"
Thread OP: CIG Ben Lesnick
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6290389#Comment_6290389

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
You can't make this poo poo up.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
Alright, we wrote something up. Let's see how the comments are on this one. http://www.informationredux.com/index.php/2016/01/25/star-citizens-star-marine-module-officially-cancelled/

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Can we spread this around?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

cixorez posted:

check this out

http://en.spaceengine.org/

done with a measly 38k
imagine those guys getting 106mil...

Guy. That's one guy. One Russian guy. Not sure why his mother country is relevant. But it is.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

cris robers explains that star marine won't have anything different from the star citizen fps experience by saying it will have things that are different from the star citizen fps experience

like "teams" and "points"

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

G0RF posted:

Flowers to start, maybe not every flower in a field of procedurally generated flowers (unless Bethesda ends up doing that and then GAME ON.)

But don't forget the hunting of procedurally generated alien life forms. You'll be bagging alien pelts, skins, teeth as well.

They don't even need spaceships at this point. Just alien flora and fauna to pick/kill/stuff/mount (and apparently, that last one is open to interpretation).

Scruffpuff posted:

Once the shotgun is working, this poo poo is ON.

Wha? I have one that works. Lots of people do.

Oh, you meant a space shotgun. Never mind.

I thought there was something wrong with my computer for a minute and then realized that was literally what this piece of poo poo looks like.

Good God.

peter gabriel posted:

I have ascended

Is this like that cult of St. Germain's or something where they literally think they ascend straight to heaven after death?

I only know about St. Germain's because I had a disastrous wardrobe malfunction in front of one of their churches once, but that's another story.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

:prepop:

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

spacetoaster posted:

Can we spread this around?

Of course. Spread it like a rash. Like a dirty diseased whore spreads her legs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Of course. Spread it like a rash. Like a dirty diseased whore spreads her legs.

I'm on it!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Free Eonwe

Free Kimsemus

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper Dan posted:

Dear Chris Roberts: Will there be a hot-wiring minigame in order to steal ships? Thank you.

-Jimmy, age 38

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Coming to you LIVE from p1458, Chris Roberts confirms that Star Marine - which he now says was never promised - has been canceled.

Yeah, called it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

You're not really going deep enough.

From fall 2014 until March 2015 there are multiple articles and videos showing the Illfonic Star Marine (ISM). This was even playable, as at (I think) PAX people were able to pay ISM.

Why isn't the article showing the spe foci elements advertised, such as the weaponry and the arenas?

The article doesn't even quote or source from them.

I like it so far, but you need to pull the info and SHOW, from CIG's own words, how things hosed up.

Honestly I would but right now I have other things going on for a couple days.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

It'll be pretty easy for them to counter this since CR did flat out say that Star Marine will be released. A better argument would be to say that "Star Marine isn't cancelled, it's already here" since that's basically what Chris said.

What's more ridiculous is that they consider what they released in 2.0 to be "the level that we're comfortable with" even though it's nowhere near what we saw even a year ago.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
The call has been called

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

Coming to you LIVE from p1458, Chris Roberts confirms that Star Marine - which he now says was never promised - has been canceled.

Yeah, called it.

Derek, sometimes I make fun of you in this thread but I have to recognize that you were totally right. Thanks for all the info & laughs, honestly.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It'll be pretty easy for them to counter this since CR did flat out say that Star Marine will be released. A better argument would be to say that "Star Marine isn't cancelled, it's already here" since that's basically what Chris said.

What's more ridiculous is that they consider what they released in 2.0 to be "the level that we're comfortable with" even though it's nowhere near what we saw even a year ago.

I know he said it would be in the larger portion, but I don't think there is any denying that the overall module - that was originally announced - is done.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Derek smart was right.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Romes128 posted:

Derek smart was right.

Once again.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

OhDearGodNo posted:

You're not really going deep enough.

From fall 2014 until March 2015 there are multiple articles and videos showing the Illfonic Star Marine (ISM). This was even playable, as at (I think) PAX people were able to pay ISM.

Why isn't the article showing the spe foci elements advertised, such as the weaponry and the arenas?

The article doesn't even quote or source from them.

I like it so far, but you need to pull the info and SHOW, from CIG's own words, how things hosed up.

Honestly I would but right now I have other things going on for a couple days.

Well this was just the start, we are going to address all of these issues. I think it was just important to get it out there that as of right now, what was originally promised has been taken back. We will, as we have done in the past, continue to add more and feature follow up articles going into further depth regarding what they have done.

As far as the proof of what they have promised, that's why I did link to the PAX East video as well, that features the gameplay and features of Star Marine, as well as showing that it was originally intended to be a standalone module, not what they are claiming it to be now.

But like I said, there will be follow up to this, as well as other articles. We just decided that it's best to get this info out there to better allow people an understanding of what is going on.

B_of_InfoRedux fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 26, 2016

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, called it.

e: It was the game mode? Not the entire feature?

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 26, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon King posted:

I normally keep my head out of stuff like this but :drat: that is a fairly large feature to cut. Which has been sitting on the RSI site for eons as a release feature.

Pack it up elitefailure, the chairman was crystal clear about this.

quote:

"I sort of get annoyed sometimes when I sort of see this pop up in comments and stuff like 'Oh Star Marine is cancelled' or 'Where's STAR Marine??" Well, Star Marine was just a game mode for people to play the FPS element of Star Citizen until we could combine everything together. Flying, running around, shooting, all the rest of the stuff, all together. Well, that is what's in 2.0, that's what's in 2.1. So, with the Alpha 2.0 onwards, you have basically what we were planning to do with Star Citizen from the very very very beginning. If you go back and look at the original pitch, we didn't say 'Hey we're doing Star Marine', we say we will have FPS, we will have boarding. Well, you HAVE FPS, you HAVE boarding right now" -Chris Roberts, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Marine is handwaved as being included already because they lost the rights to the name. (I really hope this is the unofficial explanation)

I wonder when/if they realized they have a trademark issue. Although even without that issue, their technical incompetence would probably have torpedoed the module anyways.

Mirificus posted:

I guess that's one way of solving the problem of Star Marine already being trademarked by someone else.

STAR MARINE - Trademark Details

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Once again.

Hey, no page skipping. Go back to 1458 :mad:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I know he said it would be in the larger portion, but I don't think there is any denying that the overall module - that was originally announced - is done.

His assertion is that the individual gameplay of Star Marine will be incorporated in the same way that Arena Commander is available. Arguing that Star Marine is cancelled because it's being subsumed into what's been provided already is like saying that Arena Commander was discontinued after 2.0 was released.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Now post his quote with a screenshot of the star marine features on reddit. Lol.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Mushmouth posted:

If you go back and look at the original pitch, we didn't say 'Hey we're doing Star Marine', we say we will have FPS, we will have boarding. Well, you HAVE FPS, you HAVE boarding right now

This is such a great quote. You can really tell how much he gives no shits about his audience. You've already got it you assholes, stop bothering me.

And if you go back and look at the original pitch, (still on the site) you've got Matchmaking, and different armor classes, and some stupid game called Sataball, and different weapons, and crosshairs. But sure, everything he promised is already there.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Romes128 posted:

Now post his quote with a screenshot of the star marine features on reddit. Lol.

I stole the quote from reddit so...

Holy poo poo! With all this talk about the game now I am itching to play some Star Marine. Let me start the Baby PU to get my fix. Later suckaz!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

His assertion is that the individual gameplay of Star Marine will be incorporated in the same way that Arena Commander is available. Arguing that Star Marine is cancelled because it's being subsumed into what's been provided already is like saying that Arena Commander was discontinued after 2.0 was released.

In the next episode of ten for the chairmann...

"Guess what!? Arena commander is done too!"

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 26, 2016

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

trucutru posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They already have boarding. Didn't you hear Chris? Mission Accomplished.

Ahahaha, that's even better. People have these grand scenarios about boarding and stealing ships. Meanwhile, the 'boarding' is basically that the future has forgotten the complicated concept known as 'locking', so you just run in and sit in the pilot seat. And then do nothing because the pilot can't be killed because he is the ship now. Marvelous.

trucutru posted:

Dear Chris Roberts: Will there be a hot-wiring minigame in order to steal ships? Thank you.

-Jimmy, age 38

Also, can I be the space ship insurance claims adjuster that makes the values for space ship reimbursement?

-Billy, 45

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I know this isn't the news that's like "Star Marine is already out, you suckers." news, but my source was right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42oaju/10_for_the_chairman_episode_75/

Year of the no show for CIG confirmed.

I bet they try to scramble to make a half rear end show at the end of the year now to prove "us" wrong.

Holy poo poo this game is in dire straits.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
No PAX, but I'm sure there'll be a CitCon for Sandi to cry at again.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Someone should tell reddit that they've had star marine all along and they just didn't know it!

Oh my.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well here's the thing, Star Marine - as you know - was always billed as a standalone module, as well as FPS in Star Citizen/SQ42. Which is something I covered in the article. I also ensured to link to the Pax East presentation, and have updated it with an additional paragraph covering this just in case people missed it, as well as changing the title. At the end of the day Roberts is using semantics here. Star Marine was to feature stand alone maps, as well as once again modular gameplay. He has now said that this is essentially not the case. We can argue it all day, but I think we can all agree that Star Marine as originally envisioned, and sold, has been cancelled or at the very least radically different from anything that was promised before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Lime Tonics posted:

Holy poo poo this game is in dire straits.

Money for nothing and your chicks Porsches for free?

• Locked thread