Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

WOOOOOOO! STARRRR MUUURRREEEEN!

Here it is (a year ago).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJkAwDXgKEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUvwba4DMLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

His assertion is that the individual gameplay of Star Marine will be incorporated in the same way that Arena Commander is available. Arguing that Star Marine is cancelled because it's being subsumed into what's been provided already is like saying that Arena Commander was discontinued after 2.0 was released.

I think once those Spergs sit down and write down ALL the features that SM was supposed to have, then compare to what's in the PU know, they're going to be making GBS threads bricks. Or maybe not.

I told you all that they were going to pull a stunt like this, rush out whatever they have and call it done. That was back in August when I laid out the plan.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Matlock Birthmark posted:

This is such a great quote. You can really tell how much he gives no shits about his audience. You've already got it you assholes, stop bothering me.

Exactly. That's what people should be focused on. Not semantics about Star Marine and what they are and are not doing with. That's little more than a petty distraction from the real insantiy. Chris Roberts is basically saying that they've delivered on all their promises. He's saying that everything they've planned for Star Citizen is already there.

quote:

So, with the Alpha 2.0 onwards, you have basically what we were planning to do with Star Citizen from the very very very beginning.

This is why they're justifying denying refunds. This is why they're violating their own TOS and not showing their finances. This is why they can walk away at any time with a multi-million production company and do whatever cinematic bullshit Chris wants. Digital Anvil was run into the ground because it was a digital production company masquerading as a game studio, but the publishers fronting the money expected a game to be delivered and had the legal clout to get what they paid for. Now Chris is doing the exact same thing all over again, only now there are no publishers to sue him into oblivion when he fails to deliver. These people are hosed and they have absolutely no means of stopping it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lime Tonics posted:

I know this isn't the news that's like "Star Marine is already out, you suckers." news, but my source was right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42oaju/10_for_the_chairman_episode_75/

Year of the no show for CIG confirmed.

I bet they try to scramble to make a half rear end show at the end of the year now to prove "us" wrong.

Holy poo poo this game is in dire straits.

haha what a complete shitshow

of course the backers will double down on their delusion. I BELIEVE IN YOU CROBBERS :a2m:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42p76s/how_much_backer_money_do_you_think_was_put_into/

cancelling star marine huh? things must be going better than expected! :downs:

going full Melkor right now. This community needs to be put through the meat grinder.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Exactly. That's what people should be focused on. Not semantics about Star Marine and what they are and are not doing with. That's little more than a petty distraction from the real insantiy. Chris Roberts is basically saying that they've delivered on all their promises. He's saying that everything they've planned for Star Citizen is already there.

This is why they're justifying denying refunds. This is why they're violating their own TOS and not showing their finances. This is why they can walk away at any time with a multi-million production company and do whatever cinematic bullshit Chris wants. Digital Anvil was run into the ground because it was a digital production company masquerading as a game studio, but the publishers fronting the money expected a game to be delivered and had the legal clout to get what they paid for. Now Chris is doing the exact same thing all over again, only now there are no publishers to sue him into oblivion when he fails to deliver. These people are hosed and they have absolutely no means of stopping it.

I 100% agree that what's going on is hosed, and needs to be addressed. Like I said, it's not that I'm interested in having a semantics argument about it, but what they've done in regards to Star Marine needed to be addressed, particularily the treatement of Illfonic. Like I said, we will as we've always done, follow up with other articles regarding this. This was just something that we both felt was important to get out there as it once again shows that they are going back on what was originally promised. It's just another indication of the road this game is taking, and it's not a good one.

You are right, it's insanity, and he they are going against their own TOS. This will be addressed, I assure you. And any and all concerns/disagreements over the article are appreciated.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

now there are no publishers to sue him into oblivion when he fails to deliver.

Oh, but there are goons, Derek Smarts, and other bads to blame.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Due to the recent developments I think that we all agree that the title of this thread is misleading, after all, the game is already out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

game is feature complete. NO REFUNDS

in fact, the game has even more features than you realize! star marine was hidden in there the whole time not even we knew. in fact, we should be suing YOU for more money because you took it for free.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

trucutru posted:

Due to the recent developments I think that we all agree that the title of this thread is misleading, after all, the game is already out.

Star Citizen: We'll discuss the game when...oh dear.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Solarin posted:

caption: Roberts' flight response kicks in as he hears his own explanation re: Star Marine

What you don't see is Sandi with the shotgun.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
So all Chris roberts has to do is say something is out and already part of the game. If you told a backer a week ago that Star marine is already part of 2.0 they would be like no.

But Chris roberts said today that it is, so they're all like yeah.

Wtf.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Romes128 posted:

So all Chris roberts has to do is say something is out and already part of the game. If you told a backer a week ago that Star marine is already part of 2.0 they would be like no.

Wtf.

Not a cult at all. Nope, no sir.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Romes128 posted:

Wtf.

Crobbers: 'I could shoot somebody in star marine which is 100% live and I wouldn't lose any votersbackers'

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, while I'm shitposting...

pgabz, PGabz, PGABZ!

While I do enjoy your Star Citizen videos immensely I am kind of disappointed in your lack of Star Marine coverage. Could you please give us a nice video with your opinions of that entirely different game next? Thank you :pgabz:.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I think this is going to cause some waves outside of the usual channels if only because Star Marine was basically a stab at attracting a "mainstream" audience, and I think they were moderately successful at doing this based on the PAX videos they showed off. These are people who might not be in the loop about star citizen, don't really care about the PU, but who are now being told an entire 'game' they paid for has been cancelled...and they have no means of getting the money refunded. Ouch.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Chin posted:

Beautiful work :pgabz:

"STAR MARINE IS ALREADY RELEASED AND COMING SOON"

:pgabz::pgabz:JEDI MIND TRICK:pgabz::pgabz:

and I just bought a new avatar ugh.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

trucutru posted:

While I do enjoy your Star Citizen videos immensely I am kind of disappointed in your lack of Star Marine coverage. Could you please give us a nice video with your opinions of that entirely different game next? Thank you :pgabz:.

Same.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I think this is going to cause some waves outside of the usual channels if only because Star Marine was basically a stab at attracting a "mainstream" audience, and I think they were moderately successful at doing this based on the PAX videos they showed off. These are people who might not be in the loop about star citizen, don't really care about the PU, but who are now being told an entire 'game' they paid for has been cancelled...and they have no means of getting the money refunded. Ouch.

It's like telling a little kid Santa isn't real

Except they're doing it as a person dressed like Santa that then says they're Santa

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mrking posted:

:pgabz::pgabz:JEDI MIND TRICK:pgabz::pgabz:

and I just bought a new avatar ugh.

At least edit parp into it at the end when he opens his mouth.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

1500 posted:

What you don't see is Sandi with the shotgun.

I guarantee you half the company threw their hands in the air and said "oh COME ON, Chris!!" when at the very end, after several cautious glances to mommy off-camera, he started mumbling and alluded that they would switch on "a couple of maps" and would still deliver Star Marine. He's like some entitled 11-year-old who clearly gets real nasty the minute anyone wants him to do something he doesn't wanna do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

people should try getting refunds now using star marine cancelled as their reason

feel free to link them the shitton of proof that star marine was going to be something seperate and not whatever verbal garbage crobbers said

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
have you guys ever considered the perfectly reasonable possiblity that you might be from an alternate timeline where Star Marine was a thing but that now you have entered a reality where it is not and never was?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Soothing Vapors posted:

have you guys ever considered the perfectly reasonable possiblity that you might be from an alternate timeline where Star Marine was a thing but that now you have entered a reality where it is not and never was?

Is this like a finite thing in an infinite universe? Cause I thought that was impossible.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

No but today I found out that magic is real cause all Chris roberts had to do was say star marine is in the game and it magically was.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Soothing Vapors posted:

gently caress it; why not? It makes as much sense as anything else. Actually, it might make MORE sense.

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Imagine there's no shotgun
And missing crosshairs too
No private servers
Floors that we all fall through
Imagine all the people
Getting loving played...

Imagine there's no physics
And no persistence too
And Chris's only focus
Is Squadron 42
Imagine all the people
Getting loving screwed...

You may say I'm a traitor
Cause I think this poo poo ain't fun
But on this day we all learned
Star Marine was always done

Imagine no more JPEGS
Does that thought make you sick
No more canned animations
No pics of Wulf Knight's dick
Imagine all the people
Playing other games...

You may say I'm a traitor
Cause I think this poo poo ain't fun
But on this day we all learned
Star Marine was always done

:golfclap:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff posted:

The gaming media is watching Star Marine Citizen the same way you watch your friend hook up with a stripper he keeps telling you is "really into him." They all know what's going on, but nobody wants to make the first move and say something, because they know that they'll be in for a rash of poo poo and abuse if they do. It's like a game of chicken. Multiple outlets need to open fire on this mess simultaneously, but that'll never happen, because it's more advantageous to hope your competition does it so you can watch the community tear them apart from a safe distance.

Cowards - all of them. Gotta hand it to the Escapist, Forbes (of all places), and the few others who had the balls to question this. But as it gets worse and worse, it's surprising not to see at least a few more.
That can't be true. Star Citizens keep on maintaining that gaming media is biased against Star Citizen because of "Big Publishers" and Derek Smart.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6145304/#Comment_6145304

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Mirificus posted:

That can't be true. Star Citizens keep on maintaining that gaming media is biased against Star Citizen because of "Big Publishers" and Derek Smart.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6145304/#Comment_6145304

dolvak will never learn

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

I don't think we have to worry about any more games reaching 100 million dollars in crowd funding after star citizen.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dapper Dan posted:

I know I joke saying these are mentally ill and mentally deficient people, but slowly I am starting to believe that they really are.

We're backers for a reason. We're not idiots posted:

We've now reached the point where everyone has to pitch in with an opinion. People who haven't followed the game for 3+ years. People who have just barely skimmed the front page of the RSI site. Here's a rant, or whatever but honestly who else is getting sick and tired of us backers being caught in the crossfire?

All these publications and "experts" think us backers are crazy because we have no idea how we're spending our money. I mean clearly we're too stupid to realize Chris Roberts is an epic con artist who wants us to part with our wallets. I guess a weekly show called Wingman's Hangar wasn't enough. I guess The Next Great Starship wasn't enough. Around the Verse isn't enough. Reverse the Verse isn't enough. Ten for the Chairman/Producers/Writers/Artists isn't enough. I guess Letters from the Chairman's aren't enough. Monthly Reports aren't enough. When Arena Commander was met with delays, those weekly reports weren't enough. Weekly Star Marine reports aren't enough. A yearly convention isn't enough. Demonstrations at major gaming events isn't enough.

You literally have a window into game development. The content is all there, it's still right there. You can go back, and see Star Citizen from the day it was pitched grow from a prototype, to nothing but hangars, to greyboxing, to broken flying, to even more broken flying and then a somewhat functioning alpha. This hasn't been only about Chris, it's been about all the wonderful men and women who have contributed and who are still contributing to the project.

That's not enough is it? I guess those of us who have been there from the beginning, nearly three years ago from this day, we're all blind. We're blind to this scam. Not only that we're cultists, deluded, or whatever else. We've wasted our money on a dream. It's us who have zero understanding of how the project is being run, what is really going on and how some con man is stealing money from us.

EA has stolen money from me. They stole money when they sold me a broken piece of crap that was Battlefield 4. What a miserable mess that was. Warner Brothers scammed me when they sold me Batman Arkham Knight this year. Sure I was able to get my refund but I still want to play that game. I buy Ubisoft games and all I get in return is a broken DRM scheme that makes it harder to play their games. Sometimes I buy games from all of these publishers and on day one they have the audacity to ask for even MORE money.

Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium Games has earned my money. I pledged $60 for Star Citizen on October 10th, 2012. What they pitched to me three years ago is a game I'd pay full retail price for. Over these years, through all the various community shows with Wingman, Ben, Sandi, and more they have shown us progress from the ground floor. I've been entertained learning about all the hard work the developers have put into making this game and it's because of this honesty and openness that I've made myself a concierge tier backer over time.

I find it particularly insulting that we now have a peanut gallery coming into our community to tell us we have made poor choices with our money. People who will call Star Citizen a scam with one breath and then turning to pre-order Star Wars Battlefront with the next.

To those on the outside looking in: We backed for a reason and we know full well what we've gotten into. Don't come in here to tell us what to do.

What a rant. Whelp, had to get this out there because I know I'm getting frustrated with all the ignorant statements being thrown everywhere.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:psyboom:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Ahh, that's a real classic that one.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

The gaming media is watching Star Marine Citizen the same way you watch your friend hook up with a stripper he keeps telling you is "really into him." They all know what's going on, but nobody wants to make the first move and say something, because they know that they'll be in for a rash of poo poo and abuse if they do. It's like a game of chicken. Multiple outlets need to open fire on this mess simultaneously, but that'll never happen, because it's more advantageous to hope your competition does it so you can watch the community tear them apart from a safe distance.

Cowards - all of them. Gotta hand it to the Escapist, Forbes (of all places), and the few others who had the balls to question this. But as it gets worse and worse, it's surprising not to see at least a few more.

^this

Also, very few want to have to put this sort of thing in print: That rear end in a top hat, Derek Smart, was right. The whole loving time. Like, seriously!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Toops posted:

Thread Title: "No More Star Marine? YES more Star Marine!!"
Thread OP: CIG Ben Lesnick
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6290389#Comment_6290389
"you HAVE boarding right now"? When did that get implemented?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I dropped it in the brown sea https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42pvve/star_citizen_was_the_star_marine_module_cancelled/

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mirificus posted:

Weekly Star Marine reports aren't enough.

Well, not anymore they're not. yearly shows at games conventions....HA.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

Also, very few want to have to put this sort of thing in print: That rear end in a top hat, Derek Smart, was right. The whole loving time. Like, seriously!

Ha ha, you truly are a caricature Derek. But you certainly were correct on Star Marine. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
You know it amazes me that people are still buying virtual non-existant ships.

No but seriously, what the gently caress.

• Locked thread