Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

The Kins posted:

Isn't Mad Catz' Star Citizen controller basically a rebranded old controller of theirs? I swear this has been talked about like two million pages back...

Yeah, it's a version of an X-52 with a bunch of plastic poo poo glued on to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ZenMaster posted:

Calling it now, CRobberts releases an HD update to Privateer on steam and calls it S42 and what he was planning all along.

Touchdown.

You forgot him adding hours of new scenes featuring Sandi, with special guest star :gary:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Wow, it looks like someone really did take the opportunity to snatch up Rajafa's old Disqus account name when they did the Kronypsus name switch.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Booblord Zagats posted:

I can't be the only one that just finds this ugly as gently caress.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I can't be the only one that just finds this ugly as gently caress.

All but the most elusive of whales

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Warning, don't click that link if you're on mobile.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen is such a delightful breeding ground for cognitive dissonance.

TTerrible posted:

CIG have gone so off the rails that they cannot muster up the mental gymnastics to defend stuff any more. It's easier to just pretend it's all ok without people ruining the fantasy
That's hilarious considering how often I've seen /r/starcitizen maintain how open it is to criticizing Star Citizen.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

lol at him saying they didn't use the word 'promise'

ok, i see then all is well

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ZenMaster posted:

lol at him saying they didn't use the word 'promise'

ok, i see then all is well

Someone was the king of 3rd grade lunch trades

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

sorla78 posted:

Yeah, some of the upper extreme of the Star Citizen base reminds me of this guy, for some the transition into reality will be a rough ride.

Which kinda makes me think that Stanley Kubrick would have been a great contender for shaping the Star Citizen cult into a great movie.

Indeed. The mental breakdowns and gymnastics will be a sight to behold.

D_Smart posted:

If you are wondering why no feature updates to the Star Citizen PU, it's because they are focusing on SQ42 & putting it in maintenance mode.

My guess is that unless and until SQ42 comes out - in 2017 unless they cut & rush it out in 2016 - the PU will remain stagnant

This is insane, nobody cares and nobody outside of the people who already bought the game are interested in it. If anything, the focus on SQ42 is what will kill the project since there has been no interest in it.

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Not surprising sadly. It seems at this point Roberts and company are putting all their hopes in SQ42 being what saves them. And you know, what gets them back into Hollywood. What's funny is they clearly didn't get the memo that big named stars don't move games outside of very niche group of people. Just ask Call of Duty fans how much of their buying decision came down to Kevin Spacey playing House of COD. Or how many Bruce Willis fans picked up Apocalypse because of his involvement.

I've said it before in this thread, but Chris hasn't made a game in 15 years. He no longer understands the industry as it is basically unrecognizable from that time period. Steam, digital downloads, graphical improvements, game play innovations have all moved at an incredible pace. Impressive graphics no longer matter as having a good, distinct art style and atmosphere has become more important. The mentality of using Hollywood actors to drive sales is an extremely old notion when movie stars in games were extremely new. Even back then they didn't move units, because it was viewed as a cheap gimmick. Studios have done the market research and that sort of thing does not matter in the least, which is why they are relegated to small parts (ala Charles Dance in 'The Witcher 3') and can actually have a negative impact as they are not professional voice actors and crappy voice can be bad for a game. Nowadays it is old hat. You need to do something different. Chris does not understand this at all. He also thinks because you hire these actors will get him into Hollywood, which is so laughably delusional.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Star Citizen: Not those words, these words!!! :gary: :pgabz:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So did anyone identify the first song in this video? I know it's a version of Daydreamin but it's definitely not a Lupe Fiasco's version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55HXtqdiqsA

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dapper Dan posted:

Indeed. The mental breakdowns and gymnastics will be a sight to behold.

Chris does not understand this at all. He also thinks because you hire these actors will get him into Hollywood, which is so laughably delusional.

I think you just named my biography. Chris Roberts: laughably delusional

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Releasing a keyboard with RSI plastered across it.

M'kay.

Phil Burn
Oct 28, 2015

What is life all about?
Wow. This poo poo gets more surreal every day

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES :jackbud:

How many tickets you up to now bro? I've got 1,163 open right now, under 168 different accounts.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Agrajag posted:

So did anyone identify the first song in this video? I know it's a version of Daydreamin but it's definitely not a Lupe Fiasco's version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55HXtqdiqsA

Daydream in Blue by I Monster

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhB6Lb7_kN8

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

RIP in Piece

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Daztek posted:

RIP in Piece
At this point, they may as well just restrict external links to only INN and CIG.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Solvency posted:

Late last year you were claiming that CIG wouldn't last through the summer of this year, especially if SQ42 didn't come out. Do you think that timeline has changed? I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that your first prediction was off base, and CIG having enough cash to continue into 2017 seems pretty far out there.

Back in Oct I gave them 90 days, due to the cash on hand at the time.

Then they pulled a major sales stunt in Q4/15 sparked by the poo poo they unveiled during CitizenCon and the premature 2.0 release during the anniversary.

Not that any of the above gave them enough money to last through 2016, when in fact they're probably burning $30M+ per year.

At this point, it's hard to say when the collapse will come. All I know is that it will come. And it won't be pretty.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Anyone else spend hours just looking at the same pictures of their dream ship(s)?

quote:

This is so weird - I've never been this attached to virtual objects before. I literally spend hours and hours just staring at the SAME images, concept art, screenshots and videos of my dream ship(s) (fully stealth graded Sabre and drop ship Redeemer). The craziest thing is that I PHYSICALLY WON'T BE ABLE TO PLAY THIS UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!! Isn't that crazy!? Is this an addiction!? Is anyone feeling / doing the same???

At first I thought this was a thread by a troll, but no. This is a real thing people do.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Ash1138 posted:

:eyepop:
A line saying that Ben is a "big fat guy, I mean like orca fat" just sort of writes itself.

Also, "Convince me, Chris. Tell me everything I wanna know."

I don't know if the bottom of the coffee cup should say "Star Citizen" or "DREAMS"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

What's crazy is I doubt D.Smart could have predicted so many whales weathering the storm, I can't believe they're spinning Space Marine being canceled into everything is working as intended

Yeah, that threw me for a loop tbh. However, the lesson is not to underestimate Sunk Cost Fallacy. Or to what lengths people will go if only to not face the fact that: the crazy sonofabitch was right

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/315219/star-marine/p7

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/315425/is-star-citizen-starting-to-be-new-religion

My dudes. It's happening.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Mirificus posted:

That's hilarious considering how often I've seen /r/starcitizen maintain how open it is to criticizing Star Citizen.

I've never created/hosted a subreddit but I imagine it's hard to change /r/starcitizen to /r/INN

It would clear up a lot of confusion people seem to have about posting there.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yeah, he's an idiot.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

If you are wondering why no feature updates to the Star Citizen PU, it's because they are focusing on SQ42 & putting it in maintenance mode.

My guess is that unless and until SQ42 comes out - in 2017 unless they cut & rush it out in 2016 - the PU will remain stagnant
If you watch this week's "Around the Verse", Derek, you'll see Jake Ross in Austin stating that they still haven't figured out what they're going to put in 2.2, 2.3, etc. Frankly, given how many things he says CIG is "revamping", it's probably not a surprise. They're too busy putting out fires and unscrewing earlier development screws to really focus on the road ahead.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

echronorian posted:

"we've got art assets and a motion capture studio..now to look busy"

Can someone with knowledge of game development (I don't care how much) give me a run down on how real live people with that much money, office space, and employees failed to deliver on almost everything imaginable?

Like, no joke, how is that even possible? I know games fail every so often, but most games get released. What did they do for 3 years?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Yeah we've been sitting here having a good laugh over that. It's like someone's attempt at their very own Roberts letter.

What's truly hilarious to me is that he honestly believes that poo poo. This despite the fact that The Escapist has gone on the record (as I have too) as saying that I was not the source of their story; other than the references made in my blogs.

They will try to fit any sort of square peg into a round hole.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

ZenMaster posted:

1) Chris says anything not directly from him is speculation. (this is the keystone to everything)

2) Chris purposely uses toadies to disseminate information on AtV, RtV, 104TD, etc etc and answer questions give updates to all aspects of SC.

3) SC implodes. Chris claims everything we were told was speculation cause see, they told us that as we were stupid enough to believe it wasn't true.

4) Chris is safe with Scrooge McDuck pile of money.

5) (Thank goodness there is a 5) Goons swoop in and rip apart every 10 for the Chairman and video pitch Chris gave and point out the outright lies, double speak, and retcons. Reddit gets some money back, still hates us.

5) Is my favorite part because even if everybody gets a full refund from whatever money SC has left (impossible), the whales would still blame goons :bahgawd: for the rest of their lives because their precious Star Citizen never came out.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

ZenMaster posted:

Can someone with knowledge of game development (I don't care how much) give me a run down on how real live people with that much money, office space, and employees failed to deliver on almost everything imaginable?

Like, no joke, how is that even possible? I know games fail every so often, but most games get released. What did they do for 3 years?

Built stuff to 40% completion without a greater plan and then started over.

*My game development experience is using an airhorn during a sailing regatta.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

ZenMaster posted:

"Do it again, you need re-approval."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Well, yeah, but wait until you see it in your VR cockpit...

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

G0RF posted:

Well, yeah, but wait until you see it in your VR cockpit...

is that poo poo for real?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

If you watch this week's "Around the Verse", Derek, you'll see Jake Ross in Austin stating that they still haven't figured out what they're going to put in 2.2, 2.3, etc. Frankly, given how many things he says CIG is "revamping", it's probably not a surprise. They're too busy putting out fires and unscrewing earlier development screws to really focus on the road ahead.

Yup. I posted earlier about work on the PU literally going into maintenance mode according to my sources.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Dusty Lens posted:

Built stuff to 40% completion without a greater plan and then started over.

*My game development experience is using an airhorn during a sailing regatta.

more than Ben, Sandi, Lando combined

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

D_Smart posted:

What's truly hilarious to me is that he honestly believes that poo poo. This despite the fact that The Escapist has gone on the record (as I have too) as saying that I was not the source of their story; other than the references made in my blogs.

They will try to fit any sort of square peg into a round hole.

Well sir you are the end level raid boss. I mean it comes down to you doesn't it? at least I'm their minds.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ZenMaster posted:

Incompetence. And hubris.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Mirificus posted:

I remember you seeming to be pretty keen on Star Citizen initially. From that point, from what I've seen, you've gradually become more disaffected. At what point did you realize the project was doomed? Was there any kind of tipping point or was it just a slow slide?

Oh I've had my doubts before I joined up here, but it didn't seem like a lost case at the time. For me the whole doubt thing started way back when they went back on their promise of co-op, which was one of the BIG selling points for me. But as said, I was still cautiously optimistic with my optimism dropping step by step after each piece of news that came out since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So after some much needed sleep I have thought about this whole thing more carefully and I'm sorry to say that Croberts arguments don't only make sense but they also open your eyes to an universe of possibilities. Now you can see how different games have incorporated a powerful framework to handle first person shooters, they were just lazy about adding some extra content. Here is an example where they even managed gunsights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcykQ0Vhy4U

• Locked thread