Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

oh

nobody quit, cool

thanks guy

hey guys, nobody at CIG quit okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Touchdown

G0RF fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 28, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'm still wrapping my head around "there's no difference between customer expectations when it's crowdfunded vs funded by the company making the game."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

When we can find 4 people who can speak clearly enough around ball gags.

The Stimperor.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm still wrapping my head around "there's no difference between customer expectations when it's crowdfunded vs funded by the company making the game."

apparently the only difference is we get beautiful transparent communication from glorious leader

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

You're witnessing Olympian mental gymnastics.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
This shitshow is escalating impressively fast.

If they have a PR firm (which I doubt given the great Croberts Escapist rant) I bet they quit yesterday too.

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

So I hear they're rebulding the EVA.

So they're gonna have your 14 year old waifu gary oldman lose his eye and have a different last name.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

So, you're saying that Star Citizen will be cancelled because it can never live up to Chris's impossibly high standards? Sounds about right.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Need a gif of some Chinese gold medalists at the Olympics doing some amazing floor/horse/bar routine except the entire background is a pink brain texture and call it "Reddit SC Backers"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Fans selling Star Citizen inspired gear right under CIG's noses...

I wonder how long Sandi is going to turn a blind eye to this... She hasn't been able to figure out Supply OR Demand on the merch side of things since the word go. RtV is filled with episodes of CIG explaining why don't have certain merchandise, or why they have too much, or why they can't ship certain things, or why they haven't shipped other things that are long overdue.

Fans know CIG sucks at this bigtime and makes no apologies for it.

Yet if couple of backer fans come along and tap into the pent up demand Sandi has ignored, well, it's going to piss her off. Hugely. The more they sell, the worse she looks, and less merch money she gets. That will not be tolerated.

I expect a smack down on fan merch sales like this in the near term. If CIG doesn't actively protect their IP right now, it will no longer enjoy protections and then anybody could sell knockoffs, anywhere. Plus, it's parasitic to all the hard work she's done to build up brand equity. Since she's a Marketing Professional

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

DA PANET EARF posted:

So I hear they're rebulding the EVA.

So they're gonna have your 14 year old waifu gary oldman lose his eye and have a different last name.

:thurman:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

BMan posted:

So, you're saying that Star Citizen will be cancelled because it can never live up to Chris's impossibly high standards? Sounds about right.
The thing is, CRobbers doesn't have high standards, he has ever-changing standards. He simply does not know what makes for a good video game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

CIG / CR cannot be accused (in general) of 'false promises' until such time as they declare the game 'done' / announce the Launch of SC and those features are still missing.

Something I think people fail to realize is that CIG and Chris have pretty high standards and expectations of themselves. They don't like releasing things half-baked.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tortolia posted:

This shitshow is escalating impressively fast.

If they have a PR firm (which I doubt given the great Croberts Escapist rant) I bet they quit yesterday too.
They have a PR guys but when crap starts flying, he's benched so the true Pros can handle it.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
PIIIIIIIIIIRRRRP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJFyWBLeM7Q

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

We do NOT have boarding

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"Mark Hamill jumped at the chance to work with Chris Roberts again for Star Citizen"

http://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/mark-hamill-jumped-at-the-chance-to-work-with-chris-roberts-again-for-star-citizen

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

G0RF posted:

They have a PR guys but when crap starts flying, he's benched so the true Pros can handle it.

I can't wait to see Space Jesus' next rant-filled missive.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

I wonder how long Sandi is going to turn a blind eye to this... She hasn't been able to figure out Supply OR Demand on the merch side of things since the word go. RtV is filled with episodes of CIG explaining why don't have certain merchandise, or why they have too much, or why they can't ship certain things, or why they haven't shipped other things that are long overdue.

Yet if couple of backer fans come along and tap into the pent up demand Sandi has ignored, well, it's going to piss her off. Hugely. The more they sell, the worse she looks, and less merch money she gets. That will not be tolerated.

I expect a smack down on fan merch sales like this in the near term. If CIG doesn't actively protect their IP right now, it will no longer enjoy protections and then anybody could sell knockoffs, anywhere. Plus, it's parasitic to all the hard work she's done to build up brand equity. Since she's a Marketing Professional

sandi is going to find the lowest bidder possible and sell all the crappy merchandise

just you wait :argh:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
roberts will post a letter tomorrow saying he spent 36hrs straight writing it, and it will just be one line over and over again a la the shining,

"DEREK SMART WAS RIGHT"

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

roberts will post a letter tomorrow saying he spent 36hrs straight writing it, and it will just be one line over and over again a la the shining,

"DEREK SMART WAS RIGHT"

All jpegs and no FPS make Crobbers a dull boy

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

sandi is going to find the lowest bidder possible and sell all the crappy merchandise

just you wait :argh:

Guys don't worry,

Inside sources say that SC is on its way!!!
The game contains so many gigafloopybeepboops that they had to ship it on a cargo barge from China. Should only take 5 months to cross the Pacific. Everything is going to be JUST FINE!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

G0RF posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that pixel art one of the ships that used to adorn the opening post of this very thread?

Edit: I see this is done with Eldragon's approval.

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

Hey, I have a very important mission that requires gary oldman/parp faces. Can anyone provide any of them in high res for easy photoshopping. I'd look for it myself but this thread moves at a million zillion miles per hour.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

All jpegs and no FPS make Crobbers a dull boy

God perfect I couldn't think of a good one

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I like this poster

On the nature of patience

A different kind of grief

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

When we can find 4 people who can speak clearly enough around ball gags.

Or who can talk through rapidly doubling electrical pain

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

How does this idiot actually pay attention to what CRobbers says and not realize that they are never going to call anything 'done' or announce the launch of SC." SC is launched. It's the baby PU. It's exactly what CRobbers said way back at the beginning that was going to be released and added on to. Only he has no intention of ever calling anything "released." Everything about their phrasing has been carefully crafted to evoke the idea of a completed release to be celebrated, but at the same time a work in progress that is immune to criticism.

They're trying the same thing with an episodic Squadron 42, but they won't be able to weasel their way out of a proper release that's subject to proper reviews by mainstream gaming websites. They can't put CRobber's baby out there as anything other than a finished product or it'll be ripped to shreds.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Solomonic posted:

See you in the hearse, Commando

:captainpop:

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

More like the difference between a Boeing 787 and a Bicycle.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

DA PANET EARF posted:

Hey, I have a very important mission that requires gary oldman/parp faces. Can anyone provide any of them in high res for easy photoshopping. I'd look for it myself but this thread moves at a million zillion miles per hour.

These are the ones I have, Goonspeed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

:ironicat:

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Cognitive Dissonance, Sunk Cost Fallacy, some sort of Victim Syndrome poo poo. DSM5 should have an entry.

Presentation: 35yo Male, presents with poor hygiene, unhealthy fascination with utlikilts and fedoras, victim complex against Derek Smart and other random internet people, perpetual white knighting of a video game and a developer, and high cholesterol. Intense hatred for an entire subgroup of people that question their sanity. They also post on reddit.

Diagnosis: Star Citizenopathy

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

spacetoaster posted:

He get's really upset as some of the commenters and actually screams into the mike at them. The other people on the stream actually had to tell him to shut up.

What stream was this? It sounds amazing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

i really want someone to try and get a refund citing the cancelled star marine as their reason

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

It really does feel like CIG is at a loss about how to handle the fallout.

Subscription cancelled

A good point

Tearing down another argument

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
tommyfrigginnoble has been tearing it up on the CIG forums lately, honestly surprised they havent shut him up. He should come on over.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

D_Smart posted:

what specific thread it that?

you probably already found it but its: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42rsq8/about_star_marine_serious/?sort=new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well just say it up front and move on. Your team is far too lean and your project far too massive to allow resources to be wasted on a tangential peripheral with limited market penetration that won't be necessary to the core gameplay experience. If you made it a core promise like SC did during the Kickstarter campaign then bite the bullet and change expectations now.

Well, that is what I would say - but Unreal is doing insane things with VR. It's still baked in and it still looks like it might take relatively little effort to integrate. Just don't have the time to explore the space right now.

• Locked thread