Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Beet Wagon posted:

I think I'm going to update my when I get home from work today and try to experience the madness, based on how awesome your videos are.

I actually managed to play it for a while yesterday. Framerate is still pretty poor though, but that might just be my settings.

Sneaky beaky'd my way into the back of a guy's Avenger just before he left Olisar. Chilled out in his bunk (eating chips and letting the crumbs fall onto the blanket... I'm such a stinker!) whilst he was faffing around shooting NPCs at one of the relays. Got bored, and decided I'd shoot him in the face when he got out of his chair to EVA. Must've been a surprise to find me stood right behind him as he got out. Then I shot at him and nothing happened. Then the spaceship farted me out the side of it at 0.5c

DREAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

I think I'm going to update my when I get home from work today and try to experience the madness, based on how awesome your videos are.

Just keep in mind that it is poo poo, but just the kind of poo poo that amuses me more than it probably should

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

redwalrus posted:

Just a reminder that in a few days it will be February 2016.

teledildonics? what? like the sex scene in Demolition Man??

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

If only beer knew he was aiding in 'corporate espionage'

That's the part that got me the most.

*Complains about CS issues and lack of response time on legitimate subjects through proper channels.*
*Gets accused by the marketing director personally as aiding and abetting corporate espionage*

:psyduck:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Friendly Tumour posted:

Any idea about what goes on in their meetings? Are they actually having discussions about how they're going to get this loving thing into something even resembling a game or just ignoring the mounting problems? There's gotta be a point where even crobbers and his court have to stop and think "oh god what have we done".

Hitler Bunker Scene.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

He was selling snake oil from the top of his coach through a megaphone.
And people threw buckets of money at his general direction.

And? If someone gets scammed over something other than spaceship JPEGs, they're treated as the victim of a crime, and the perpetrator is prosecuted as a criminal. Again, it'd be supremely arrogant of me to sneer at people who got suckered in by promises of a happy future when I've got a loving BowFlex serving as an impromptu worktable in the basement. I of course encourage people to take every precaution when it comes to things like this, but I also understand that people are not perfectly rational and that they make mistakes (and can subsequently become embarrassed enough about those mistakes to keep doing them and not admitting to it).

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Friendly Tumour posted:

Any idea about what goes on in their meetings? Are they actually having discussions about how they're going to get this loving thing into something even resembling a game or just ignoring the mounting problems? There's gotta be a point where even crobbers and his court have to stop and think "oh god what have we done".

if you look carefully in this thread there is more than one inside cig source that have talked about this, crobberts intervening in the uk and coding things himself, thus delaying all progress those guys make naturally, as well as the general consensus that the full ep1 wont ship in 2016.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CrazyLoon posted:

That's the part that got me the most.

*Complains about lack of CS issues and response time on legitimate subjects through proper channels.*
*Gets accused by the marketing director personally as aiding and abetting corporate espionage*

:psyduck:

Technically it was the lead moderator who accused me a corporate espionage.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Finally jumped in!

quote:

Saw the Star Citizen/S42 package was about to go bye-bye so I finally threw in and got me an Avenger. Love it, but kinda bummed that my first AC experience is nothing but getting ravaged by bugged out Vanguards :( Oh well, excited for the future!

:rip:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AP posted:

Any ship you buy with cash is giftable, if you have melted something rare/limited that's the best thing to consider like a LTI cheap ship. Once you have a giftable ship you can upgrade it using RSI credits, which means that's a trick to sell RSI credits. CIG don't care obviously because you're basically paying to be able to move something around in a database and they like that.

This might be the solution to my problem. Thank you kind sir!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Maybe don't have a kid if you need to sell your stash of spaceship jpegs to pay for it. Also maybe don't spend so much money on spaceship jpegs that taking a hit on their resale is still worth it because you're so desperate for money, since, y'know, you had a kid you can't afford.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

And? If someone gets scammed over something other than spaceship JPEGs, they're treated as the victim of a crime, and the perpetrator is prosecuted as a criminal. Again, it'd be supremely arrogant of me to sneer at people who got suckered in by promises of a happy future when I've got a loving BowFlex serving as an impromptu worktable in the basement.

Its a huge difference in intelligence between "hey that looks promising, lets pledge 20 bucks" and "OMG BEST GAME EVVAR HERES 5000 DOLLARS DONT TELL MY WIFE"

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hitler Bunker Scene.

It's just too absurd to be real. Can it be real?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Dang...rear end covered on that front then, lol. But yea, little doubt that Sandi has bought into that train of thought lock, stock and barrel, since it'd obviously prove to her what meanies the outside world contains to plot against this company like so.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

BUY NOW!! BEST DEAL!!!!11

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

Maybe don't have a kid if you need to sell your stash of spaceship jpegs to pay for it. Also maybe don't spend so much money on spaceship jpegs that taking a hit on their resale is still worth it because you're so desperate for money, since, y'know, you had a kid you can't afford.

I think it's more a nice excuse instead of telling the truth. "I want off this sinking ship"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Its a huge difference in intelligence between "hey that looks promising, lets pledge 20 bucks" and "OMG BEST GAME EVVAR HERES 5000 DOLLARS DONT TELL MY WIFE"

That's not intelligence, dude. People pledging $10,000 to Star Citizen aren't thinking rational thoughts. That's how confidence scams like this work: they override the rational portion of people's brains in order to get money from them.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh, they found out that you are actually David Braben?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LOL if you pay more than like $50 for a game that's anything less than a full release title.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

This might be the solution to my problem. Thank you kind sir!

Hey, that's my understanding, double check maybe before you do anything that might hurt. I got the last of my stuff out ages ago.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

G0RF posted:

The dream is a nightmare, and if we can wake the sleepers with the unfortunate truth, shouldn't we?

:golfclap: Yes.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
watching this disaster for 4 years has really made me appreciate how Rockstar can put out a game like GTA5 that is so loving well executed on every single level

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So people are bailing on CIG so much that they have a derogatory "Leavers" name for them? LOL

Those darn leavers!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

That's not intelligence, dude. People pledging $10,000 to Star Citizen aren't thinking rational thoughts. That's how confidence scams like this work: they override the rational portion of people's brains in order to get money from them.

Ok, maybe not the dictionary definition of "intelligence"
I hope we can agree though, that "investing" 10.000 bucks in a videogame is mabye not very smart?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

So people are bailing on CIG so much that they have a derogatory "Leavers" name for them? LOL

Those darn leavers!

You can't quit Star Citizen. You'll immediately crash.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Those darn leavers!

Poor bastards. I used to work for a nutcase who treated everyone that left the company as a traitor and referred to them as quitters. Also used to flip out if anyone took a day's holiday because they must have been going for a job interview. His broken mind never managed to link the high staff turnover with his lovely attitude.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So when the poo poo really hits will we get some sort of faux apology/plea for more money from Chris or is everything just going to go dark?

Fake Edit: Here's how far down the rabbit holes goes. FanFic about the in universe Star Marine Cancellation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/433nmb/original_systems_announces_star_marine_delay/

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Needs more salt.

Beer seems like you swim your whole life in the dead sea!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

I'm gonna say this right now: Those explosions look freaking amazing. There are some seriously talented artists at CIG.

Too bad Croberts is a functioning retard.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There is no way Chris will apologise or take responsibility for any of this.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Iron Tusk posted:

So when the poo poo really hits will we get some sort of faux apology/plea for more money from Chris or is everything just going to go dark?

Their track record is to remove evidence from the internet.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jon Do posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:

And since I have no intentions (at this time) of suing Chris or CIG/RSI over his defamatory diatribe (in his response to The Escapist), since that's just going to be a waste of time given how long it would take to slog through that and get to the Star Citizen part, I am left with no choice but to do precisely what I said I would do: get the State and Fed authorities involved so that THEY can go take a look and determine what's best for the consumer. After all, that's precisely what the FTC (a Fed agency) is for.
Ouch, given out government's general attitude -- better to support seedy businesses than general consumers -- this kinda makes me afeared. Can you not sue them over the actual project now that they've refunded you?

Yes, the issue with the govt - as I've stated before - is that 1) they take their sweet time and probably won't get to it until it's all over 2) we won't be privy to any of the information that backers are entitled to because Fed action is not the same as a private or class action - they won't tell you poo poo if you're not part of the action

Yes, myself or anyone can sue them over Star Citizen but as attorneys (even the two that contacted me and offered to help pro bono) have said, we run the chance of it being tossed out of State or Fed court and into arbitration due to the ToS. In my case, since they have NO evidence that I ever agreed to their new ToS, having never - ever - played the game or done anything that resulted in my agreeing to said ToS, I do have a case. But a slim one.

So the choice is either :

1) sue in State or Fed court and run the risk of it being tossed to arbitration as per Star Citizen ToS. waste of time and money. bad.

2) then (as per above) in arbitration, show enough cause to get it tossed back into State or Fed court. waste of time and money. bad. going back to #1 is good.

3) sue Chris for defamation, make RSI/CIG a party to the suit and add a litany of causes of action related to Star Citizen.

4) wait for the whole thing to collapse. now there are so many reasons (aka "Cause Of Action") to sue either in arbitration, State, Fed court because now we're talking about the collapse of a $106M+ project; which is still shy of the $150M+ collapse of 38 Studios and which reached a crescendo of legal shenanigans only because the State had $75M invested in it.

There are other options which I am not at liberty to discuss. But at the end of the day, I have always maintained that I have no intentions of giving up unless and until they 1) give people the refunds they asked for 2) they provide the financial accounting they promised

In the US, you don't need a plausible reason to sue someone. I could walk into court today, and for less than $500, sue them for a laundry list of things. They will attempt to get it tossed. And if they succeed, they can petition for their legal costs etc.

The legal system is hosed. Which is why a company like this can do shady poo poo like the ToS shenanigans - and get away with it for a long as they can.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Ash1138 posted:

Tress Effects or Hairworks

. . . What.

And I thought the space scarves were ridiculous.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Sillybones posted:

If you are Ben you have an entire loving thread of people to help you get out of your slump. Please reach out to someone.

I would gofundme Ben if he were aceeight

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

spacetoaster posted:

Those darn leavers!

Leave it to Leavers.

"Ward, I think you are being a little hard on the Leavers."

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Yes, the issue with the govt - as I've stated before - is that 1) they take their sweet time and probably won't get to it until it's all over 2) we won't be privy to any of the information that backers are entitled to because Fed action is not the same as a private or class action - they won't tell you poo poo if you're not part of the action

Yes, myself or anyone can sue them over Star Citizen but as attorneys (even the two that contacted me and offered to help pro bono) have said, we run the chance of it being tossed out of State or Fed court and into arbitration due to the ToS. In my case, since they have NO evidence that I ever agreed to their new ToS, having never - ever - played the game or done anything that resulted in my agreeing to said ToS, I do have a case. But a slim one.

So the choice is either :

1) sue in State or Fed court and run the risk of it being tossed to arbitration as per Star Citizen ToS. waste of time and money. bad.

2) then (as per above) in arbitration, show enough cause to get it tossed back into State or Fed court. waste of time and money. bad. going back to #1 is good.

3) sue Chris for defamation, make RSI/CIG a party to the suit and add a litany of causes of action related to Star Citizen.

4) wait for the whole thing to collapse. now there are so many reasons (aka "Cause Of Action") to sue either in arbitration, State, Fed court because now we're talking about the collapse of a $106M+ project; which is still shy of the $150M+ collapse of 38 Studios and which reached a crescendo of legal shenanigans only because the State had $75M invested in it.

There are other options which I am not at liberty to discuss. But at the end of the day, I have always maintained that I have no intentions of giving up unless and until they 1) give people the refunds they asked for 2) they provide the financial accounting they promised

In the US, you don't need a plausible reason to sue someone. I could walk into court today, and for less than $500, sue them for a laundry list of things. They will attempt to get it tossed. And if they succeed, they can petition for their legal costs etc.

The legal system is hosed. Which is why a company like this can do shady poo poo like the ToS shenanigans - and get away with it for a long as they can.

Have you considered setting some money aside so that you can pick up some of that sweet restoration hardware furniture at their liquidation sale?

Also what's the over/under on them fleeing the country?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Iron Tusk posted:

There will be no apologies. Nothing they have said even remotely suggests that they will apologize for anything.

They will blame Derek Smart, goons, leavers/quitters, etc. for their failure if they officially say anything at all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No, it's all Chris's fault. Every bit of it. It's his program, his dream, his vision, his failure. He's the face of this monstrosity and I sincerely hope that his failures hound him for the rest of his life. Everything else, from Ben's incredible incompetence to Sandi's predatory marketing "genius", stems from him and his constant inability to deliver. The man does not care. Even now, with his community royally pissed off because he was dumb enough to admit how little he gives a poo poo about them, he's sitting in his reality distortion field assuming everything is fine. It's the Hitler bunker video all over again. I spent years contributing in an honest and earnest manner, providing thoughtful feedback on everything from the toxicity of the community to level design of ships. None of it matters because Chris Roberts is a fraud, a self-entitled embarrassment of a human being who surrounds himself with sycophants and culls anyone who dares question his nonexistent talents. He took the greatest opportunity ever given to a game developer, a blank check to build the game of his dreams, and squandered it. He has ruined lives, tarnished careers, uprooted families, wasted millions, and years later hasn't learned a single loving thing. I hope he spends the rest of his life as a punch line.

Anyone who works at Cloud Imperium Games and is reading this: Get Out Now. Please. You are quickly nearing the point where your affiliation with this clusterfuck is going to harm your career. The people who have left before you talk about how they are treated as refugees within the greater game dev community. That may not happen for much longer. This company will not fail gracefully. Look at 38 Studios and how those workers simply stop getting paid one day. That is your future, if CIG doesn't lay you off first. Look at your game. Really, truly, honestly look at the entirety of your project and what you are really delivering compared to what was promised. Is this a project that's on track? Is this a company that's well managed and has a viable delivery strategy? You know it's not. Get out.

^this. All of it.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

There is no way Chris will apologise or take responsibility for any of this.

I believe he'll actually distribute the blame to the backers. Or better yet, the people that started calling him out on this bullshit.

"I couldn't finish the game due to the mounting stress and pressure brought on to me by people saying I couldn't do it. They don't know what it's like to be working seven days a week with a dedicated dev team and staying up at night coding just to hear discouraging comments"

I'm also thinking he'll release the original game he had planned. You know, the 200k that he had in mind when this all started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Lesnick is some kind of bizarre Ouroboros living in an impossible world where even though he can't touch his toes, he's constantly has his foot in his mouth.

• Locked thread