Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I wonder if the backers realize how much they're being bait-and-switched. Chris only ever wanted to make his loving lovely movie, and he was always willing to sacrifice every other module at that altar. Now they're near the end of their funds, all spent trying to build all of the modules like Star Marine, the PTU, and so on, but with Chris's time-proven stupidity and mismanagement turning all that cash, and all that work, into a fine mist of piss on a summer breeze.

So now here we are, with all of the remaining funds being poured into the shittiest single-player space game we're ever likely to see in our lifetimes. Why do people think they need more bug-testing on Arena Commander? Why the sudden laser-like focus on SQ42, when until now all the focus and all the fanfare was on the PU and Star Marine? Because with their remaining funds, Chris cannot complete SQ42 unless he diverts all resources to it. Every other module experiment is now a failure and a write-off. This is it - this is where the last of the money is going.

This is what Chris wanted to do, so he did it with the money given to him for another product, and another promise, entirely.

This was never about building a universe. It was about attempting to build a universe on the side, while fulfilling his personal desires as the main goal, front and center.

He could have chosen to scrap SQ42 and put all resources on the PU that all his backers want, but he didn't. Backers got a hangar so they could see their ships and fantasize about their upcoming experiences, they got Arena Commander so they could better imagine what they would be like in combat, and they got the PTU, a barely-functional glimpse of how it would all tie together. Chris Roberts was not able to deliver both that universe, that the backers voted for with their dollars, AND the single-player mo-cap travesty he's trying to poo poo out right now, before the funds started to dry up. So Chris Roberts had to make a choice.

Backers should never, ever forget that when the money got tight, and Chris had the tough choice on which part of the game to concentrate on, he chose himself. He chose to use backer money to build his personal pet project, and ignore the very project whose promise generated those funds in the first place.

It's only January, but I'm going to nominate Chris Roberts for the rear end in a top hat of the Year award. Good job commando - you've earned it.

They will forget, and they will give him smedbux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The only context I recall seeing "leavers" in, is games like DOTA and LoL when you're actively ruining the game by leaving.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

kingcom posted:

I got no audio atm but wtf is a 792p or that the joke?

Thats the resolution that the xbox 1 mostly uses (lol) and SOMETIMES the ps4 has to downscale to.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the xbox one is pretty star citizen if you know what i mean

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

how will Robber actually get his movie distributed? you pretty much need one of the big hollywood studios to back you right unless you're just shooting for z-list status?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Nemo2342 posted:

I gave Harebrained money because they went above and beyond to earn my trust with the Shadowrun kickstarters. I'm not a hugely familiar with Mechwarrior outside of LPs, but it looked interesting and I trust Harebrained to put out a solid product, so I figured it was worth a shot.

I am a big MW fan, but was not happy at the state of MWO (since that seems to have changed of late, I am going back). So when Harebrained started a kickstarter for MW, and with their history, I jumped right on it. HB is a company that knows how to create a good game under the constraints of the engine, their money, and their skill.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

kingcom posted:

I got no audio atm but wtf is a 792p or that the joke?

Oh boy have I got a Games thread for you!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

1500 posted:

I am a big MW fan, but was not happy at the state of MWO (since that seems to have changed of late, I am going back). So when Harebrained started a kickstarter for MW, and with their history, I jumped right on it. HB is a company that knows how to create a good game under the constraints of the engine, their money, and their skill.

The part that impressed me was when HBS put an upper limit on scope, and then used social media as a way to earn low impact stretch goals like new characters or the devs drinking.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
battletech was my first kickstarter thing I backed. After playing Shadow Run, and their proposal, it seemed entirely within their reach. But ~dreams~ whatever $$107m for good old Chris "Wing Commander" Roberts

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I googled 'Harebrained'.

Period Panties

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
mods please rename me womb raider

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

phosdex posted:

how will Robber actually get his movie distributed? you pretty much need one of the big hollywood studios to back you right unless you're just shooting for z-list status?

Straight to Netflix

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

Straight to Netflix

Pretty sure not even Netflix would pick up this travesty.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if netflix picked up the latest chris roberts joint i would watch it, but the real joy would be the making-of

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Gonkish posted:

Straight to Crackle

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6302760/#Comment_6302760

Star Citizen was ready, but humanity was not.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Straight to Netflix
Direct to landfill. Like Wing Commander DVDs last time around.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Gonkish posted:

Youtube then, maybe they can milk some precious ad revenue from the backers who watch it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

Youtube then, maybe they can milk some precious ad revenue from the backers who watch it.

YouTube would issue a takedown because CRobbers forgot to pay for a score so he just stole poo poo from good sci-fi

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

The percentage of studios who open up their development process to the public without having it blow up in their faces big time has to be extremely small.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Thanks for the digging here. Strange no RSI forums refers.

can you tell us total hits from Reddit over the full duration since you put it out?

I'm especially curious about that number. Just want to know what a moderator kneecapped post that still gets decent commenter engagement means in total hits. I know we can get additional data from Imgur views on Reddit SC posts and the like.

Thanks for the work here, DigitalMocking!

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

natetimm posted:

The percentage of studios who open up their development process to the public without having it blow up in their faces big time has to be extremely small.

If they cut off all communication their income stream would disappear, so I think it is a double edged sword for them.

If only it were possible to release a game using just the money they have so far...

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

BossTweed posted:

If they cut off all communication their income stream would disappear, so I think it is a double edged sword for them.

They're hosed no matter what. I'm not agreeing with the guy that RSI should do it, but it should certainly be a cautionary tale for other projects run by people who aren't loving retards.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Eonwe posted:

I've actually picked up about 15 new ignores

a couple weeks ago I was only one spot above tenement funster, I've gained 6 places in the most ignored list since then

Part of me wants to put you on ignore, so that you can continue to climb the ranks. But then I'd miss your spinny elephant and your amusing shitposts, so I don't.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Too soon did we eat from the tree of the knowledge of unmelts and pubic hair.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

I want CIG to do this because that would be the worst thing they could do at this point and that seems entirely in character for them.

natetimm posted:

Largely because they don't have community management with resources, training or the information access required to handle the role. I imagine there's lots of people who would like to try to sort this poo poo out at CIG on some smaller level cause they can see it's a mess but the top brass are all "No we're done here let's get back to finding out who to blame for the Beer emails (why is this even taking so long?!), get our farming simulation concept written up and then we'll eat some money and poo poo it into the big hole we made down the middle of our offices because we couldn't get the building's elevator working."

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

You know, I get pretty annoyed when people ask, you know, "where's Squadron 42", or you know, "you said there would be a single player campaign with multiple missions," stuff like that. Let me just say that Squadron 42 will be released, we've just had some changes in the way we prioritize things and that's meant that development of the gameplay has to go on the back burner for a bit.

For now, work will continue on the cut scenes, I'm very busy directing the reshoots in our motion capture facility, but in the final, released version of Star Citizen that you can play now, you know, you've got missions, there's only one player character model so it is single player, so, we'll get it finished when we get it finished, not really any big hurry since we're paying our salaries with your money.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I want CIG to do this because that would be the worst thing they could do at this point and that seems entirely in character for them.

Largely because they don't have community management with resources, training or the information access required to handle the role. I imagine there's lots of people who would like to try to sort this poo poo out at CIG on some smaller level cause they can see it's a mess but the top brass are all "No we're done here let's get back to finding out who to blame for the Beer emails (why is this even taking so long?!), get our farming simulation concept written up and then we'll eat some money and poo poo it into the big hole we made down the middle of our offices because we couldn't get the building's elevator working."
It is amazing to me that finding the scapegoat for who is to blame for the Beer email catastrophe eludes their detection.

It was Sandi drat Gardinsr. Fire her. She's been a liability from day one and all of CIG seems to know it but her and Chris.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Assuming Ben lives on the west side of LA, how the gently caress is he so loving fat? How the gently caress is he getting fatter? Santa Monica/west side is so affluent you can sometimes find bums with gym memberships to Equinox gyms. Even if you just walk outside for 10min and look at people, you start feeling like you need to go to the gym or run or loving do something immediately.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

D_Smart posted:

No. They didn't declare war on me. So I'll just to back to being me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

(offtopic postin in the stars and cattes thread lol)

Beet Wagon posted:

Agreed, and a lot of it does come down to PGI's art direction. FD had a bunch of different concepts up for the Marauder a while ago, and they chose basically the lamest one. I definitely think the work he's done for PGI is probably the best to use in an actual game, but Matt's art is freaking gorgeous.

It's mostly the Vohwinkel era stuff that looks goofy as gently caress.

You know, if you haven't already seen it, maybe you might be interested in reading the long-running Battletech play-by-post thread we've got going over in Let's Play. It's been around for half a decade and it's a great read. The GM, PoptartsNinja, is among other things a freelance writer who's done some work for Catalyst Game Labs.

The campaign setting is an alternate universe timeline that's something of a love letter to the 3025-3050 era and it's central premise is that the Regent and Protector of the Star League, Aleksandr Kerensky was as feared and hated, if not moreso, than the usurper Amaris. When he led his Invasion of Terra it was not to liberate the League from a tyrant but to take the head of the man who challenged his power. And when he stood over the ashes of Terra as the other Great Houses began to move against him, he had not choice but to take his most loyal followers and flee. So when Kerensky vowed to return to the Star League, it was not a promise but a threat.

There is no Federated Commonwealth, as a political coup in the Lyran Commonwealth saw Katrina Steiner killed and her daughter Melissa framed as an assassin, long before such a union could have come to be. There are no Wolf's Dragoons to prepare the Inner Sphere. There is no time for a Fourth Succession War, because the Clans don't intend to give them any.

There is no respite from PoptartsNinja's dice. Except for, like, a point of Edge I guess.

Let's All Play Battletech and rewrite Inner Sphere history

(it inspired me to draw a picture and someone turned it into my av)

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

T.G. Xarbala posted:

(offtopic postin in the stars and cattes thread lol)

You know, if you haven't already seen it, maybe you might be interested in reading the long-running Battletech play-by-post thread we've got going over in Let's Play. It's been around for half a decade and it's a great read. The GM, PoptartsNinja, is among other things a freelance writer who's done some work for Catalyst Game Labs.

He's right, that thread is rad.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

If you want future spesh battles, LoellDND and Beer4TheBeerGod have each their own devastatingly good 40k CYOA's going on in the game room.

but enough of this guys, I'm sleepy like my kitty catte here

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Landing zones aren't systems. They've promised 100 systems. But if you assume a capacity of 1 million spergs that means each system has to support 10,000 people. Even if you assume only 100,000 people will play (something like three times EVE's peak load) that's still 1000 players per system... assuming a perfectly even distribution.

The best thing about Star Citizen is finding out all the ways it can't possibly work.

Cheap out, it's EASY to find ways it CANT work, try finding ways that it can! Don't worry I'll wait.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Chris Roberts is directing a movie about how he scammed nerds for unlimited money. He will release the movie to theatres once the whales stop giving them money.

The backer money is going directly to the movie theatres so they have incentive to show the film.

Chris and crew have all their salary already paid for by a very generous man.

That man?

Derek Smart.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Eonwe posted:

I've actually picked up about 15 new ignores

a couple weeks ago I was only one spot above tenement funster, I've gained 6 places in the most ignored list since then

How the hell are you more ignored than I am?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

spacetoaster posted:

It finally happened! AND IT'S ALL OUR FAULT!!

I feel horrible! And all of YOU should too!!

BTW thanks to the guy who gave me the background.

Screw you! I thought I was gonna get there and finally achieve it and then I realized it was a damned troll... Well played.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bootcha, please include my catte in Goon DE yadda

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Foul Ole Ron posted:

gently caress it lads, this thread has hooked me. Im in for every hilarious, ridiculous car crash-esk moment of this whole farce.

I don't know what will evetuslly happen, but I will be laughing all the way.

Welcome! o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

spacetoaster posted:

All right goons. You need a platinum account to read this message says you all know the deal. We've spent the last couple of years joining all the orgs (that matter) involved in star citizen. Some of you are more involved in their activities than others. Doesn't matter. Start You need a platinum account to read this message.

Don't do enough to get kicked out if you can help it. Just sow the seeds of discontent and/or help them grow.

Star Citizen is failing, let's have fun tearing these tryhard orgs apart.

Goonspeed.

Alright I was just waiting on the word, I've infiltrated You need a platinum account to read this message but I am not too involved and You need a platinum account to read this message in which I am heavily involved I'll get right on it.

• Locked thread