Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

:shrek:

If you're not having a Docker image responsible for building your binaries in the first place you're doing something real weird

That's what the CI/CD pipeline uses actually. The end state is we want to use Mesos to manage our hardware fleet. Currently our binaries are packaged into rpms via :iiam: and released with configuration management. This CI/CD pipeline is attempting to get that under control and into a standard environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Anyone else hit with the level 3 backbone issues today? This must be the 4th time in as many months.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How is level 3 even still in business?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Unrelated questions, you guys keep mention, and the OP also mentioned, "Tiers" and "escalating issues." What do you mean by that?

Where I work, if I can't fix it, they get told to find another computer to test from, or to take it to a local PC Hardware Store.

Does that make me Tier 4 or whatever? How does that work? The IT jobs I read about in this thread sound so much different than mine.

You would probably be tier 2 PC support. You had sort of a try to fix it remotely with very little information type of job. That's awesome and something to play up in an interview. You weren't just following a script, but you had to do real troubleshooting and use whatever tools and resources you could to figure out the problem. The other good thing was working with folks from other cultures. That helps, given the nature of the world today.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vulture Culture posted:

It's almost completely irrelevant to anyone who's not doing hyper-speed web development/operations, so you can gloss over containers and microkernels and whatever other things people are latched onto this month

OK I'm watching the video now and between this and every response I've seen to "What the gently caress is containerization?" it seems entirely irrelevant to Windows environments. Which probably explains why I never understand it.

gooby pls posted:

Anyone else hit with the level 3 backbone issues today? This must be the 4th time in as many months.

I used to think Level 3 were a solid, really good operation.

I've been at my current job since September and they have completely destroyed that image.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 29, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gooby pls posted:

They are our most reliable provider. Stable, fast, consistent. Zayo is the shitshow for us.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So using advice from both this thread, and the last one, I've changed my Job Description from the vague list I had before, to a description of my average day. I'm having some real trouble putting my job into words to be honest.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YnpEE1cbE_HtrT2NHzRKKz8CPYJBv4QnFSQ2Vc7JvaM/edit?usp=sharing

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Turtlicious posted:

So using advice from both this thread, and the last one, I've changed my Job Description from the vague list I had before, to a description of my average day. I'm having some real trouble putting my job into words to be honest.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YnpEE1cbE_HtrT2NHzRKKz8CPYJBv4QnFSQ2Vc7JvaM/edit?usp=sharing

Bullet points will serve you better here, here is some spitballing:

* Provided technical support in a multi-cultural enviroment
* Assisted users with a variety of technologies such as VPN connections, end user proxy configuration, along with general Windows and Mac troubleshooting
* Provided Microsoft Office (insert version here) support to users
* Worked with third-party vendors to procure additional support as needed

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Inspector_666 posted:

OK I'm watching the video now and between this and every response I've seen to "What the gently caress is containerization?" it seems entirely irrelevant to Windows environments. Which probably explains why I never understand it.
It's relevant there (Hyper-V containers will be a thing in Server 2016, though they're still a bit crippled), but containers solve a very specific problem that many shops just don't have.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm loathe to ask goon consensus on this issue, but I feel I must.

I got a call from the guy I interviewed with yesterday. At 10:30PM.

He said he hasn't talked to the guy I interviewed with today, but he will tomorrow and he asked me how it went (I think it went well).

He asked me if I could move up the technical presentation I was supposed to give on the 8th (which I already asked off work for) to Monday morning.

Paraphrasing his words: "I don't want to jump into things, because you're not hired yet, but the whole company is doing internal training all next week starting Tuesday, so if you could be in it, that would get you ahead of the curve and would be a big help for our schedule."

Basically, he wants me to take off Monday, and possibly quit that same day (if he makes me an offer and I accept) to start Tuesday. Possibly in another state - I don't know if I can do the training remotely.

Facts:

- I don't know that I'll get the job, but it sounds like he wants to hire me unless I gently caress things up.
- I'm a temp at my current position, and I've been there for a month.
- I'm almost out of unemployment for the year, so if I get fired and don't get the job, I'm royally hosed.
- The job pays a 6 figure salary (probably).
- I will have to relocate for this job. I have no idea how quickly that will have to happen.
- I don't actually know what the offer will be or if there will be room to negotiate.
- I told him I would let him know tomorrow if I am able to take Monday off.

What the gently caress do I do?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That sounds shady / unprofessional as gently caress.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

skipdogg posted:

How is level 3 even still in business?

No problems with them internationally.

No chance I'd use them in the US.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
haha yeah no loving thanks on that, all the downside is for you

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

KillHour posted:

I'm loathe to ask goon consensus on this issue, but I feel I must.

I got a call from the guy I interviewed with yesterday. At 10:30PM.

He said he hasn't talked to the guy I interviewed with today, but he will tomorrow and he asked me how it went (I think it went well).

He asked me if I could move up the technical presentation I was supposed to give on the 8th (which I already asked off work for) to Monday morning.

Paraphrasing his words: "I don't want to jump into things, because you're not hired yet, but the whole company is doing internal training all next week starting Tuesday, so if you could be in it, that would get you ahead of the curve and would be a big help for our schedule."

Basically, he wants me to take off Monday, and possibly quit that same day (if he makes me an offer and I accept) to start Tuesday. Possibly in another state - I don't know if I can do the training remotely.

Facts:

- I don't know that I'll get the job, but it sounds like he wants to hire me unless I gently caress things up.
- I'm a temp at my current position, and I've been there for a month.
- I'm almost out of unemployment for the year, so if I get fired and don't get the job, I'm royally hosed.
- The job pays a 6 figure salary (probably).
- I will have to relocate for this job. I have no idea how quickly that will have to happen.
- I don't actually know what the offer will be or if there will be room to negotiate.
- I told him I would let him know tomorrow if I am able to take Monday off.

What the gently caress do I do?

You'll have to decline his 10:30pm offer and continue on as originally planned. Also he sounds like he's playing major cowboy doing something like this independently.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

You'll have to decline his 10:30pm offer and continue on as originally planned. Also he sounds like he's playing major cowboy doing something like this independently.

He's a director at the company. He could pretty much say "we're hiring that guy" and it would probably happen.

Also, based on the discussions I had before, I would probably be going from $25/hr no benefits with no guarantee of being hired after my contract to $110-120k/yr full benefits.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crazy out of left field idea: I go to my boss and explain my situation and ask for advice.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KillHour posted:

He's a director at the company. He could pretty much say "we're hiring that guy" and it would probably happen.
So why hasn't he?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

So why hasn't he?

That's... a good question. He is going to be on the technical training interview I'm doing. Maybe he wants to make sure I'm not full of hot air?

Edit: also it's an Israili company. A friend of mine familiar with them said the way they do things is... strange.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 29, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

Crazy out of left field idea: I go to my boss and explain my situation and ask for advice.

Yea don't do this

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

Edit: also it's an Israili company. A friend of mine familiar with them said the way they do things is... strange.

He's going to wear your skin like a jacket

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
gently caress it call out sick that day and roll the dice on a possible 25/hr to 110K jump

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just you know, don't give this guy your Bank Pin or anything dumb like that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KillHour posted:

I know a lot of people working for companies owned by Israeli businessmen and I can absolutely confirm that the way they run things is batshit crazy to an American

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Turtlicious posted:

Just you know, don't give this guy your Bank Pin or anything dumb like that.

Okay, here's the problem. I want to hire you, but first I want to know if you're the kind of guy I can trust. I'm going to let you in on a little secret, there's an underground boxing match tonight out by the docks, and it's just for gamblers, lots of money moving around. The thing is, I happen to know that the contender is going to be taking a dive in round 4. The thing is, the bookie there knows me so I can't show my face. What I need you to do is place some bets for me. Take this envelope, it's got $30,000. Remember, the contender gets KO'ed in the fourth round.

So you're asking, what's in it for me? Well first, you get the job, but if you want, you can put some of your own money down on the fight too, a little bit or a lot, it's up to you. How about this, you go to the bank, you pull out cash, and you lock it up in your glovebox. You go to the fight, and if you feel like it's sketchy, you just make my bet and throw down a $20. If it seems legit, you go out to your car and grab some more. Win Win.

See you after the fight!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

For that have worked or are working at Amazon has anything changed since the the NYT Article-Fiasco?

Debating if I should make the jump, Glassdoor for the positions is strongly negative.

mewse
May 2, 2006

supersteve posted:

gently caress it call out sick that day and roll the dice on a possible 25/hr to 110K jump

Yeah I don't see why you wouldn't call in sick for Monday

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

For that have worked or are working at Amazon has anything changed since the the NYT Article-Fiasco?

Debating if I should make the jump, Glassdoor for the positions is strongly negative.

To be fair, Glassdoor for anywhere tends to be negative because people will only post there if they want to bitch (except when company management 'encourages' people to post positive reviews there, but that tends to be obvious ;))

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

I know a lot of people working for companies owned by Israeli businessmen and I can absolutely confirm that the way they run things is batshit crazy to an American

Yeah we have guy who went to work for one for a year and couldn't stand it. That, and there was a very high risk of him losing his security clearance because he worked there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

So... What would you do?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Also, based on the discussions I had before, I would probably be going from $25/hr no benefits with no guarantee of being hired after my contract to $110-120k/yr full benefits.

Fuuuck I love my job but given the opportunity for that kind of salary jump I would jump ship immediately. Call in sick, go, and do that up

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Vulture Culture posted:

Having worked for an Israeli company for a couple of years I can honestly say that double my current salary wouldn't be enough to make me go back.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

KillHour posted:

So... What would you do?

Honestly the behavior's a massive red flag of potentially crazier issues down the line. Unless ... are you ok with that? Personally I'd reconsider and pick back up on the hunt.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

air- posted:

Honestly the behavior's a massive red flag of potentially crazier issues down the line. Unless ... are you ok with that? Personally I'd reconsider and pick back up on the hunt.

Yeah this is a pretty good preview of what you'll have to deal with once hired. I'd abort.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

DigitalMocking posted:

Having worked for an Israeli company for a couple of years I can honestly say that double my current salary wouldn't be enough to make me go back.
:justpost: stories.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

You would probably be tier 2 PC support. You had sort of a try to fix it remotely with very little information type of job. That's awesome and something to play up in an interview. You weren't just following a script, but you had to do real troubleshooting and use whatever tools and resources you could to figure out the problem. The other good thing was working with folks from other cultures. That helps, given the nature of the world today.

Thanks for pointing this out, inspired me to edit wording in my current job description in my resume to point out that my troubleshooting duties are also mostly unscripted and in many cases I write the documentation myself when I find solutions.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KillHour posted:

So... What would you do?

Their lack of planning to get a new-hire in the door before training might be indicative of the poo poo you'll deal with while working there. But for 6 figures maybe it's worth putting up with that poo poo. Unless they make more rash decisions to fire you in favor of somebody else they pick up last minute that has better qualifications.

Sounds like they shoot from the hip a lot. If you feel like playing roulette and hope the gun never points your way I'd go for it. Just save 1/2 of every paycheck for the inevitable unemployment period after your number comes up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The last guy was there two and a half years and just left. Hence the rush.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, Glassdoor for anywhere tends to be negative because people will only post there if they want to bitch (except when company management 'encourages' people to post positive reviews there, but that tends to be obvious ;))

The same could be said for any review but if you sit down, carefully read through what has been written it's clear there's consistently negative trend.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

warning, :effort: ahead.

Granted, this was not only an Isreali owned/run company, it was also a trading firm, so there were a lot of egos and coke flying around.

My overall favorite thing that happened was probably 6 months in, we were heavily expanding our network, we had connections coming up to LIFFE, ICE, BRUT, a couple of datacenter builds to colo with (CME, Instinet, Island) and my team was like me and 3 people for IT and Networking. My boss preached constantly that "all you had to do was ask for help" and he'd support you. For 3 months, I sent him emails, had meetings about how we were falling behind, the team wasn't big enough, dates were going to slip, and every time he'd say I was doing great, he understood there would be issues, but he didn't want to expand IT.

My boss had a silent majority partner, who he idolized to almost fanboy status. As things fell farther and farther behind, he decided to bring in his partner from New York and a couple of my peers(the other 3 managing directors) into a meeting and basically call me on the carpet about everything I was loving up. He ranted for at least 25 coke fueled minutes, repeating OVER AND OVER about all I had to do was ask for help and we wouldn't be dealing with this awful shitshow, etc etc, the whole time his partner was nodding and agreeing. The other directors were pretty neutral.

When he was all done, I put a stack of 25 emails printed out on the table, each one titled things like "Project X is slipping, need manpower" and the three job descriptions I had written for an IT project manager, Network team lead and BI lead. The partner picks them all up, starts scanning them and just goes BATSHIT on my boss. Like completely loving unhinged, calling him a "loving retard", yelling about wasting his time making him fly from New York when he was clearly, and this is my favorite, "an incompetent boob", which in all the other profanity was just the funniest loving thing.

He forbade my boss from firing me and approved my 3 hires and stormed out.

My boss refused to talk to me or even look me in the eye for almost 4 weeks. Like grade school level nonsense. After a few days it became a running joke in the office. I'd approach him and yell "HI! HOW ARE YOU?" and he'd literally turn around and walk away. Suddenly one day I was his best friend and best employee again, like the last 3.5 weeks didn't even happen. He treated my wife and I to a retreat at a spa in Santa Barbara.

Other fun things: He wasn't orthodox, but very strict, so he constantly was fasting for various holidays. Fasting + cocaine is one hell of a combo. He'd fly off the handle over the dumbest poo poo. He fired his assistant once because she bought nice pens to put on her desk and not the cheap rear end ones. Mind you, this is a day we lost almost 200,000 dollars on the market, but he was cavalier about that, but poo poo, you spent 9 dollars on a box of pens? Pack your poo poo up.

Our typical work week was 90 - 100 hours. That is not an exaggeration, that was the norm. Granted, this had less to do with the owners and more to do with being in the trading world, our work day started at 4:30 am and ended at 7:30 pm Monday - Saturday. Being the IT lead, my team often had work to do on Sunday in prep for the week.

Our turnover rate was atrocious. In the 2.5 years I was there, our average employment time was just under 11 weeks and our turnover rate was well above 400%.

My boss used to just fire random people for the weirdest reasons. He fired a guy for sneezing in the kitchen and not covering his nose "well enough". He fired another assistant for "having bad posture". He fired my overnight IT guy (responsible NASDAQ end of day report filing that had to be in at like 2am) for having an open milk carton on his desk. He fired our head of development for eating something particularly smelly on one of his fasting days.

They also did some pretty evil poo poo, like changed company names regularly to avoid paying out employee benefits promised (vesting, bonuses, etc). New hires would get promised 6 or 12 month bonuses and if the bonus was big enough or enough of them came near the same time, they'd reform the company and restart the bonus timers. These were big, 6 figure bonuses used to lure talented traders or analysts in. Most would usually quit after that.

When I finally got fed up and quit/got fired (its all fuzzy now) the big partner came in and we agreed to some nice severance if I would agree to consult for 12 weeks and after that time the company would pay for my classes and training for my CCIE, which I had been putting off for years. About 8 days after that, once big partner is back in NYC, my ex-boss calls the police and has them come to my house, claiming I "stole a rack of network gear" and to arrest me.

So yeah. I'd never work for an Israeli owned company again. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KillHour posted:

The last guy was there two and a half years and just left. Hence the rush.

If you decide to take the job, make sure you set aside a substantial chunk of your paycheck for savings. You don't want to be financially stuck if the place ends up being too crazy for you.