Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Holy Jesus give this to me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Lighting on the map actually determined by the time of day you land at :haw:

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
The amount of detail and support for modding in this game is going to be loving incredible.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i am ready to play xcom 2, and then discuss xcom 2 in this, the xcom 2 thread.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

That presentation did not help my hype levels at all. Bursting at seams, send halp

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Exposure posted:

I have to say, Resurrection is not that bad.

Like yeah it isn't a work of art but...it's a video game tie-in book.

Like I'm not sure what people were expecting (well ok I know r/xcom seem to have been expecting Long War: The Novel and thus was surprised when the officially authorized book stuck to vanilla nuCOM's action movie logic), these things are designed to really only tide you over for a bit in an information drought as you wait for the release of the game, and just had the misfortune to have its release date delayed by quite a bit in time for a lot of stuff about XCOM 2 to be revealed.

I liked hearing about what Earth was like now, what happened to XCOM and the invasion, and the finding the Avenger and leading into XCOM2 stuff. What I disliked was that the plot was mostly advanced by people bumbling into each other/ADVENT/Aliens, and the horrible romance that took up about half of the book. And that fact that it has a military guy use "noncom" to mean "non-combatant" rather than "non-commissioned officer" in a military setting with no explanation of what it meant. I just stared at that page in anger for a while :argh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Seeing as how the OpenXCOM thread is long dead, does anyone mind if I ask about it here?
no.

also this is going in the OP now

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
http://www.twitch.tv/pax2/v/38694034?t=02h19m55s

For anyone who missed it. If the link doesn't work, it "starts" at 02:20:00.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

You just know there's going to be an Aliens mod where you clean out an atmospheric processor. Pulse rifles, smartguns, the works.

And "Horror from the Abyss" with ship corridor PCPs instead of roads :v:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
How come people are so hyped for this? Is it purely based off of the last one? I liked the last one, only finished it once though. People are acting like this is going to be earth-shattering.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, this mod news is basically the best? Game is fully modular, and the LW team have confirmed that it's totally possible to add new weapon classes, alien types and class features, and then mix and match them however you please. And they're bringing back three LW staples (squad leaders, SMGs and Muton Commander Assholes) on day 0.

Simply put, the sky's the limit with this one. We now have Infinite XComs. You will be able to tweak and customize the game however the hell you please, OpenXCom style.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 30, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sharzak posted:

How come people are so hyped for this? Is it purely based off of the last one? I liked the last one, only finished it once though. People are acting like this is going to be earth-shattering.

A lot of people liked it more than that.

Also the kind of mod support they're showing off is impressive.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sharzak posted:

They're releasing the script source. Do you have any idea how excited I am to no longer have to translate UE3 tokens. Because I am ridiculously excited to no longer have to translate UE3 tokens through trial and error because that was a gigantic pain in the rear end.

also the game looks fun too. also JohnnyLump is a hilariously terrible public speaker.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Thyrork posted:

Re-watching the part where they show some of the animations, I noticed the list to the side reveals the name of a new enemy type, the ADVENT Psi Witch.

Wonder how many psi powers those get. (And if that's their in-game name as well)

(It's also possible Cyberus might be another new one, but I think that's just the internal name for the Codex.)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

The Iron Rose posted:

also the game looks fun too. also JohnnyLump is a hilariously terrible public speaker.

Coming from Minecraft and Minecraft modders, hes a loving saint of the silver tongue. :haw: Also 02:32:40, he seems alright so far Rose! But maybe my aformentioned experiences has left me expecting much worse. E: Haha, okay. He gets to the point of actually talking about his mods and the nerves kick in. :allears:

Exposure posted:

Re-watching the part where they show some of the animations, I noticed the list to the side reveals the name of a new enemy type, the ADVENT Psi Witch.

:allears: Awesome. I hope they get Fuse. :unsmigghh:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 30, 2016

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

For someone that probably has no experience with public speaking he isn't that bad.

At the very least sounded more fluent than Ted Cruz's campaign manager. Which is pretty hilarious.

Space Pussy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 30, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

gently caress Stargate, I want a B.P.R.D. mod now!

If we're talking dream total conversions, I would kill for a Liberal Crime Squad TC. Cell management, random maps, etc - it could happen. :allears:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bureau Mod. Turn the Bureau into a proper XCOM game with tactical engagements and guys with laser-shooting tommy guns. Hey, it could happen!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sharzak posted:

friend we have a thing called an OP that will answer some of these questions for you

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

specifically this seems to be the section you are looking for:

Coolguye posted:

Overall, from the gameplay and previews we've gotten and the incredibly badass artistic direction we've seen, this game looks like it is going to rule. You should be hyped as gently caress and if you're not, I want you to consider that this is how you interrogate enemies now:
http://i.imgur.com/nG3KHKL.webm
And then reconsider your entire life.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Nice, straightforward mods. Awesome.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
okay I'm officially in love with the new dev console

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
*stares meaningfully into the distance* XCOM 2 is going to be really good and I want to play it

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

It's nice that even on a failure, you still kill the guy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Coolguye posted:

Now I need to watch the video that GIF came from again

Watch it with me, friends, and wish it was next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYhr7Du6z8U

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Now I need to watch the video that GIF came from again

Watch it with me, friends, and wish it was next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYhr7Du6z8U

It's a comedy throughout but the ending is especially good.

I think the reason the overwatch failed to shoot Possessed Ryan is because he was a Ranger with Lightning Reflexes, ignoring enemy overwatch

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Solomonic posted:

*stares meaningfully into the distance* XCOM 2 is going to be really good and I want to play it

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Solomonic posted:

I google image searched this and the first result was:

This was near the top though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I wonder how long it will take for the first Jagged Alliance total conversion project to start.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Solomonic posted:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Llama Chomp is about to storm the Temple Ship in his LW campaign.

http://www.twitch.tv/llamachomp

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Friction posted:

That presentation did not help my hype levels at all. Bursting at seams, send halp

I'm so hyped I'm actually reading this lovely tie-in book.

The prose reminds me of the narrative poo poo you used to find occasionally in instruction manuals. It definitely feels like it was produced in a factory to meet a very strict deadline, but it's not hilariously bad. Just meh.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sharzak posted:

Isn't that enough for a reason?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nordick posted:

I wonder how long it will take for the first Jagged Alliance total conversion project to start.

Yeah this needs to happen

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Sharzak posted:

The new XCOM is a rare entry in turned based strategy/tactics that captured the spirit of the old game, had enough complexity for the grognards and approachability for the more 'average' gamer. It is a true one of a kind game that hits a particular niche exceedingly well, despite all of its flaws. It has enough depth that it could be the only game you play and you'd still be improving for years, which for a single player game is real rare.

Given all this, XCOM 2 is the developers of XCOM no longer just reimagining an old experience, but pushing it even further, and seeming to do so fully aware of all the flaws of Enemy Unknown/Within.

If you're in the niche of people who loving love XCOM you're bound to be hyped.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Goddamn that mod news. As if I wasn't hyped enough. Not that I can make mods myself, but drat man.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Preordered the game. Told the boss to not even bother calling me since I have the whole next weekend off and booked up solid to play video games (she is a very understanding boss). Im ready. My body is ready. Bring on the X-COM. :getin:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Exposure posted:

Wonder how many psi powers those get. (And if that's their in-game name as well)

(It's also possible Cyberus might be another new one, but I think that's just the internal name for the Codex.)

There was a wierd yellow bioshock daddy as well, when they were showing off the replays. I think it had some gas thing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hidden overwatch is the worst thing. I can't believe people play ironman with this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
How can this possibly be 10 gigs larger than Wild Hunt?? Is it just freakishly oversized textures or something? Completely uncompressed out-of-engine video? My poor SSD :(