Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Iron Rose posted:

It won't be pleasant. Buy it on steam! You have two hours in which you can submit a refund request if your laptop can't run the game.

I am getting x-com as a birthday present for my little brother anyway as we both have steam, so it should be fine anyway. But as in "unpleasent" do you mean "crappy graphics" or "everything is terrible forever".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

LightWarden posted:

Pigeons and other wildlife are coded as particle effects so it's entirely possible to mod a gun that shoots them.

This has suddenly made me realize that I need a mod that sets off a bout of doves every time a Sharpshooter uses their pistol skills. Especially Face-Off.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

RandallODim posted:

This has suddenly made me realize that I need a mod that sets off a bout of doves every time a Sharpshooter uses their pistol skills. Especially Face-Off.

It's High Noon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

BenRGamer posted:

Personally, I'd kinda like to see XCOM2 modded into something for Shadowrun, I know that has it's own games now, but I think it would be better in this engine

I want this like yesterday, please

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Beagle posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/pax2/v/38694034?t=2h17m30s

Replays and freecam (and tactical skirmish mode and more) confirmed for XCOM 2 on day 1 as part of Devmode. The replays feature an SC2-style feature where you can take over at any point in the replay and start playing the mission from that point. Keep in mind these replays are automatically generated even on Ironman missions and it will be possible to send these replays to people and host them online ala a lightweight savefile.

:shittypop::shittypop::shittypop:

clicking that link took me to part of the stream with the dev guys all talking about Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. was that intentional. also what else is known about multiplayer so far!!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Colapops posted:

clicking that link took me to part of the stream with the dev guys all talking about Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. was that intentional. also what else is known about multiplayer so far!!

They didn't say much about it, other than what I noted in my own post here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762067&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post455664485

But cripes, would that be a welcome addition to it. So I'm just assuming, same concept as XCOM: EU's multiplayer, only with some more variety in units, procedural maps with varying levels of cover making things impossible to 100% cookie-cutter approach them, can have it while having the singleplayer modded, a whole lot less glitching, if none, due to how it was described in that link and noted in my post, and yea...possibility perhaps to replay your matches and see what and where went right/wrong.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Yeah, sorry! I actually meant to quote you, too.

I dunno what I'm hoping for from multiplayer based on what it was like in EU, but maybe it will be something great. I mean, EU multiplayer was fun but so limited in scope. I hope that there's just more this time, or modding can at least pump it up.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Replay files? So many good ideas going into this.

Just watching your stuff again in anticipation Beagle, and just wanted to say it's bloody enjoyable - appreciate your content-creating ability.

They ought to stick you in as a super soldier for giving them such great exposure, provided every hit chance is actually the opposite of shown (10% instead of 90%) and every killing blow instead reduces the alien to 1hp.

:getin: Congrats!

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 31, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Josef bugman posted:

I am getting x-com as a birthday present for my little brother anyway as we both have steam, so it should be fine anyway. But as in "unpleasent" do you mean "crappy graphics" or "everything is terrible forever".

The problem is that the minimum specs required is a GTX 460 GPU. That's around 11x faster than the Intel HD 2000 that's in your laptop. So it's not really crappy graphics more than I'm just not sure it'll run at over five-ten frames per second. I really doubt it will be playable. Heck EW is barely playable on integrated graphics and Xcom 2 will be much more demanding.

That being said, y'know, there's no reason not to buy the game, try it out, and get a refund if your gameplay experience isn't acceptable.

Still I'd want to save up for a new computer if you're interested in PC games. You want a computer with a dedicated graphics card - for a laptop the GTX 960m is about the lowest I'd go on that front, and that comes in a couple laptops around the $850-$900 dollar mark. It meets the minimum requirements to run Xcom 2, but doesn't meet the recommended requirements.

Better is if you can get a laptop with a 970m, which is roughly equivalent to a desktop GTX 960, which is itself roughly equivalent to the GTX 770 that is the recommended GPU for Xcom 2. a laptop with a 970m will run you around $1500.

Alternatively you can build a desktop with a 960 or a desktop 970 (roughly 60% more powerful than the desktop 960) for around $1000-1100 USD.

Tl;dr this game is likely not playable on any integrated graphics card, but you can find a laptop that will play it for around $900 or so.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Additional details about the mod stuff from one of the Long War folks:

amineri posted:

The assets are in the form of "uncooked unreal package files". The UnrealEd included with the SDK can export assets out of the upk format. This means that texture are flattened (without layers), 3D models will be in FBX format (not the high-poly version), and animations will be in FBX format as well.

From my perspective, the SDK is big enough as it is... As it sits on my disk, it's 66 GB, although that includes some mod stuff I've created. Because the content is uncooked/uncompressed, the download size is quite a bit smaller than that ... around 35-ish GB as I recall, although I haven't had to download the whole thing in a while.

The only tools being provided are the VS Shell (ModBuddy) and what's included with the typical Unreal Engine 3 UDK -- basically what's provided in UnrealEd (material editor, particle effect editor, Kismet/Matinee editor, etc).
For the mod models JC Lewis created Blender was used, so we verified that the FBX import pipeline works with that free/open-source 3D tool.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 31, 2016

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I got a GTX 660 for my PC, which was when I upgraded my PC for XCOM: EU and Wasteland 2, will it run above medium or am I gonna have to look at really poo poo Poundland quality action figures instead of proper game models?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

LotsBread posted:

I got a GTX 660 for my PC, which was when I upgraded my PC for XCOM: EU and Wasteland 2, will it run above medium or am I gonna have to look at really poo poo Poundland quality action figures instead of proper game models?

I'd be pretty surprised if it couldn't handle high. Minimum is a 460 recommended is a 770. I played Witcher 3 on a 660, I can't imagine XCOM 2 would be more demanding than that.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 31, 2016

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
KNOCK KNOCK, OPEN UP THE DOOR IT'S REAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpU8w27YB3c

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

The problem is that the minimum specs required is a GTX 460 GPU. That's around 11x faster than the Intel HD 2000 that's in your laptop. So it's not really crappy graphics more than I'm just not sure it'll run at over five-ten frames per second. I really doubt it will be playable. Heck EW is barely playable on integrated graphics and Xcom 2 will be much more demanding.

Tl;dr this game is likely not playable on any integrated graphics card, but you can find a laptop that will play it for around $900 or so.

Counterpoint: I have a Dell XPS 13 with integrated graphics that runs EW like a dream and can chug along pretty reliably on less intensive current games. I'm still a little worried, but XCOM 2 has the same base engine as EW, so... we'll see on Friday, I guess.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do we know of the multiplayer? 2016 looking really good for strategic video games :getin:

ZoninSilver posted:

KNOCK KNOCK, OPEN UP THE DOOR IT'S REAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpU8w27YB3c

:vince:

where can i pre-order?

BenRGamer posted:

Personally, I'd kinda like to see XCOM2 modded into something for Shadowrun, I know that has it's own games now, but I think it would be better in this engine
Did the remakes turn out to be good? Are they X-Com quality remake?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So if we could run XCOM EU/EW fine, we will be okay for XCOM 2?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

heckyeahpathy posted:

Counterpoint: I have a Dell XPS 13 with integrated graphics that runs EW like a dream and can chug along pretty reliably on less intensive current games. I'm still a little worried, but XCOM 2 has the same base engine as EW, so... we'll see on Friday, I guess.

The XPS 13 is a bit of an exception to the rule since iirc it has iris HD 520/530 graphics, which are significantly more powerful than most forms of integrated graphics.

Torrannor posted:

So if we could run XCOM EU/EW fine, we will be okay for XCOM 2?

Nobody really knows! It all depends, with dynamic lighting, increased poly count and the destructible terrain it'll definitely prove more taxing, but ultimately we'll see on Friday.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

I'd love for someone to do something from the view point of a Mr. Johnson. Handling a list of contracted Shadowrunners, sending them on Runs for corps, managing your contracts, status, rep, etc. Research bay is replaced with a contact network expanding what you can get your hands on. Engineering is replaced with Fixers you send out to get you whatever your Runners need.

The basic framework for it are already in Xcom 2, you just need flavoring and a poo poo ton of art.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Moogle posted:

Replay files? So many good ideas going into this.

Just watching your stuff again in anticipation Beagle, and just wanted to say it's bloody enjoyable - appreciate your content-creating ability.

Thanks! Glad you like it.

quote:

They ought to stick you in as a super soldier for giving them such great exposure, provided every hit chance is actually the opposite of shown (10% instead of 90%) and every killing blow instead reduces the alien to 1hp.

They actually did, the madmen.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

LordNat posted:

I'd love for someone to do something from the view point of a Mr. Johnson. Handling a list of contracted Shadowrunners, sending them on Runs for corps, managing your contracts, status, rep, etc. Research bay is replaced with a contact network expanding what you can get your hands on. Engineering is replaced with Fixers you send out to get you whatever your Runners need.

The basic framework for it are already in Xcom 2, you just need flavoring and a poo poo ton of art.
:eng101: Actually, a Fixer would be what you describe as Mr. Johnson here. A Fixer is a person with a bunch of shadowrunners under their employ, with the contacts to get jobs for the runners to do. Sometimes a person offering a run wants to stay anonymous, in which case they are called "Mr. Johnson" (or Mrs. when appropriate, I assume).
Or at least that's how it's presented in the late Shadowrun games like Dragonfall. And they're made by some of the same people who made the original tabletop RPG so I think they know their poo poo.

Also yeah, that would be a great idea for an XCOM 2 mod.

Wardende
Apr 27, 2013
I would like one of your finest XCOM 2, please.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
What I really want is a X-COM: Apocalypse mod.

Playing as the police force in Mega-Primus having to deal with alien infiltrators and alien worshipping cultists sounds amazing.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Congrats on being canon!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mans posted:

Did the remakes turn out to be good? Are they X-Com quality remake?

I wouldn't say they are x-com levels of a great re-imagining but they are solid. The first one was so-so due to it being super short and liniar but after that they got progressively better.

They are pretty solid buys when they inevitably go on sale every steam event.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mad Pills posted:

POLICE-COM!

That... would actually be weirdly cool, if you also need to deal with XCOM being the unsubtle sledgehammer to the problems the city is facing.

Like, great, sure! The alien infiltration of the slums was thwarted, but now the rubble is clearing and one of the gangs is on the rise because it was the HQ of another. Worse, the local politics shift and twist as the war unfolds. Is that senator under alien influence when she pushes for more Sectoid rights, or does she genuinely care because they are a primary part of her workforce? :tinfoil:

A plot unfolds to bomb the spaceport? You NEED to stop that, without the regular supplies from space, the situation in the city is going to deteriorate fast, and XCOM will be breathing down your neck.
Another plot to poison a hospital with the alien vector that you hear of? You could pass it on to XCOM, or you could risk doing it yourself and avoid having to explain to the people of the city that the hospital in question is out of commission for... forever. :sweatdrop: Dont mess it up however, or an entire section of the city might become rabid from mind control as a result!

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
So the way I'm understanding it, canon includes us having shot down a few UFOs right? Well, given that the supply barge tends to land early, is it fair to assume that's the avenger?

That seems like a really fun throwback. Especially since most players probably did that barge and lost most of their squaddies and fell into a death spiral.

I'm absolutely floored by the level of mod tool assets they're providing. It makes perfect sense to unleash it all though. Long War gave EW a super long lifespan and now anyone can make fully supported mods from day 1. Extremely excited to see what kinds of mods will happen involving abilities. I think I might try my hand at a skill point based skill tree after a but.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

heckyeahpathy posted:

Yep, EW runs just fine on my 2 year old Macbook Air. The low resolution screen helps a lot, because it's far less demand on the video card than a normal desktop display would be.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
drat those modding options and debug tools look awesome. As a dev it certainly makes me jealous, we'd get a lot less bug reports if players could just dig into the internals and learn that yes their rookies really are that bad, although I don't wanna imagine the work that had to go into it. At least we did Skirmish mode first. :v:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Seeing as how the OpenXCOM thread is long dead, does anyone mind if I ask about it here? I started reading about the Final Mod Pack and fired up my old OX install to try it out, only to find out I need one of the nightlies. Problem is, when I go to run it, it hangs, opens 3 or 4 copies of itself that I can't kill in task manager and refuses to do anything else. I've followed the instructions to the letter, but I'm totally lost about what I might be doing wrong.
Did you check the Installation FAQ? Most people mess up the folder structure since you can't just drop it on top of 1.0. You need to extract it to a new folder, put your original files in \UFO\ (and \TFTD\ if you have it) and you're good to go.

Also make sure you don't have a hyperactive antivirus.

VoLaTiLe posted:

I really hope someone makes a total remake of the original Xcom UFO defence in the new engine.
The EU assets would be better suited for that. Maybe they can be carried over?

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

(Thank you Heti/@fartknuckle)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

FraudulentEconomics posted:

So the way I'm understanding it, canon includes us having shot down a few UFOs right? Well, given that the supply barge tends to land early, is it fair to assume that's the avenger?

According to the prequel novel XCOM shot down two ships before the end. The Avenger was the second and Xcom never even got a chance to send out a squad to assault the ship after taking it down.

The book is mostly about finding the ship and getting it operational.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Beagle posted:

(Thank you Heti/@fartknuckle)

That's got to be part of the intro for your XCOM 2 vids.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Question: The Bureau is currently $4 on Steam. I know it's a shooter and wasn't very well received, but is it good enough to merit a single playthrough to get excited for XCOM 2?

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Notorious QIG posted:

Question: The Bureau is currently $4 on Steam. I know it's a shooter and wasn't very well received, but is it good enough to merit a single playthrough to get excited for XCOM 2?

I just bought it and started on a whim and so far its kinda tedious. Enemies are bullet sponges and your teammates don't seem that useful.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Trilin posted:

I just bought it and started on a whim and so far its kinda tedious. Enemies are bullet sponges and your teammates don't seem that useful.

Yeah, it flat out says your teammates don't do as much damage unless you specifically direct them to attack an enemy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Notorious QIG posted:

I hated it until I toned down the difficulty and it became kind of mediocre but passable fun. Enforcer is still the best X-COM TPS.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Trilin posted:

That's because flanking is super important. While it looks like you can just shoot a guy whose head is poking out of cover, the system reads him as being in cover and applies a massive penalty to your attacks making it take ages and ages to kill him. Meanwhile if you go flank the dude, you get massive attack bonuses. The difference is something like a 10x damage difference between flanked and in full cover.

Your teammates are really great once you understand what their schtick is. For example the scout class has an ability that one-shots any standard enemy, and he can cloak, go behind the enemy, call in an artillery strike on them, then kill whatever's left really rapidly. There's others that summons turrets that pin enemies in place, ones that boost your damage, and so on and so forth.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 31, 2016

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Got the deluxe edition from GMG and I'm loving ready for day 1 SMG mods let's do this

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The mod tools that were shown off at PAX south were amazing. This game is going to have serious legs. I mean, just in terms of map variety you've got procedural generation, the dynamic lighting, the biomes, and all. That variety which is already fairly large gets exponentially larger factoring in the potential mod content.
This game better sell a shitzillion copies. :colbert:

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah, it flat out says your teammates don't do as much damage unless you specifically direct them to attack an enemy.

I completely ignored the tutorial messages because I had such low expectations for the game and thought that it'd just be a generic third person cover shooter. Joke's on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sardonik posted:

The mod tools that were shown off at PAX south were amazing. This game is going to have serious legs. I mean, just in terms of map variety you've got procedural generation, the dynamic lighting, the biomes, and all. That variety which is already fairly large gets exponentially larger factoring in the potential mod content.
This game better sell a shitzillion copies. :colbert:

Is there any archived video of this?