Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kenshin posted:

Holy crap, I leave to go to my team's standup meeting while beagle was doing great in the rescue civilians mission and come back and it's near squad wipe. :stare:

He started off strong by rescuing like 5 of 6 civvies early, but then it turns out swarms of enemies were lurking in the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Adnor posted:

Supposedly everyone who bought the game before the 25th of january will get a region free key, at least that's what Nuuvem's Support told me.

I hope 2K doesn't make them change their minds.

I bought it today as it popped up on my isthereanydeal.com feed and contacted support for a refund.

Both isthereanydeal.com and the Nuuvem store page are usually pretty reliable about taking region restrictions into account.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 1, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dogstile posted:

One of his bad points was "i missed a 95% shot". That alone is worth ridiculing.

Some people feel like strategy games should be largely predictable. A lot of games have behind-the-scenes fudging to avoid that situation where you get put into a bad situation when you take what should be a safe shot. I personally like the unpredictability and scrambling to compensate for bad luck that is a central part of XCOM experience but it's also valid to not enjoy what amounts to "you did everything right and still got screwed" elements of strategy game design. It depends on what you're looking for.

That said if the biggest criticism of XCOM 2 is "it's XCOM 2" then that's a good thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

... Replacements? Boy, you're in for a rough surprise.
Early-game ones, yeah. All the aliens look bumped up much higher in the tech tree. Lancers seem to roughly fill the same spot that the old Chryssalids did in terms of where they come into the campaign.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

95% chance to hit means a 5% chance to miss.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ravenfood posted:

Early-game ones, yeah. All the aliens look bumped up much higher in the tech tree. Lancers seem to roughly fill the same spot that the old Chryssalids did in terms of where they come into the campaign.

I'll give you that. Didn't they get a health drain, though? I can see them as an early-midgame enemy to make sure you got squad size (or can work without it).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
"Operation Perilous Doom"

I have a good feeling about this!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Operation Perilous Doom.

This campaign is over.

Edit: Beaten so hard.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What does "Shaken" mean?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
pretty sure Beagle is completely hosed in this playthrough, but he's clearly not going out without putting up a big fight

LordNat
May 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

At least it is not Final Fantasy Tactics where 99% hit chances means you will miss twice and be countered with a hit kill 100% of the time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What does "Shaken" mean?
Its the new critical will loss effect. You keep it until you go through a mission without taking damage, then you get all the will back and (possibly?) a few extra on top of it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I want to watch Beag's stream but it's so close to release I also want to wait and see the cinematics and stuff for the first time myself :sigh:

By the way, at least 2 aliens can raise Psi zombies, do we know that only "humans" (ADVENT aren't really...) can be raised? Because can you imagine a horde of Muton or Chryssalids zombies running at you with 3 times their normal HP? :iit:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What does "Shaken" mean?

Soldiers who take grave wounds suffer penalties (exactly what they are I don't know) until they can exorcise their ghosts in a mission (getting a kill I think)

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 31, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The displayed hit rate in a game (including the original XCOM) is not really the actual hit rate. Not in the least because 100% hit rate shots could still miss in XCOM for minor reasons. A lot of games fudge things up and down for this reason.

Ravenfood posted:

Its the new critical will loss effect. You keep it until you go through a mission without taking damage, then you get all the will back and (possibly?) a few extra on top of it.

That's pretty awesome.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah you get bonus will if you get rid of shaken. I expect it's to give players a little carrot for not benching their soldier forever.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The displayed hit rate in a game (including the original XCOM) is not really the actual hit rate. Not in the least because 100% hit rate shots could still miss in XCOM for minor reasons. A lot of games fudge things up and down for this reason.

Isnt it usually because of rounding up to whole numbers? 99.5% hit i still a .5% miss chance but it would be rounded up to 100 on the display.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bremen posted:

"Operation Perilous Doom"

I have a good feeling about this!

It's Muton time :getin:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 31, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Isnt it usually because of rounding up to whole numbers? 99.5% hit i still a .5% miss chance but it would be rounded up to 100 on the display.

Yeah with XCOM IIRC it was that they rounded to the closest whole number so technically a 99.9% chance hit would be come 100% but could still miss.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

splifyphus posted:

Pretty stoked to see a famous LPer with dozens of hours logged in the game go down in flames on his first campaign in the full version. You're hosed, beagleman!

He didn't help himself by basically abandoning 3 of his best men in an effort to keep one alive.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

He didn't help himself by basically abandoning 3 of his best men in an effort to keep one alive.

That wasn't a choice :colbert:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

That wasn't a choice :colbert:
Sure it was. I like how quickly he abandoned that idea later, too.

e: Fewer enemies seem to one-hit kill you compared to Thin Men too, even with crits. Losses seem more recoverable because its harder to die, but easier to be wounded for a while.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 1, 2016

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
These Faceless are beautiful, poor Beagle.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I hope theres a 0 Day mod for a Beaglerush voice pack.

And Doorn and Friendly too.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah if I am playing Legendary the fuckers are getting left behind.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Some people feel like strategy games should be largely predictable. A lot of games have behind-the-scenes fudging to avoid that situation where you get put into a bad situation when you take what should be a safe shot. I personally like the unpredictability and scrambling to compensate for bad luck that is a central part of XCOM experience but it's also valid to not enjoy what amounts to "you did everything right and still got screwed" elements of strategy game design. It depends on what you're looking for.

That said if the biggest criticism of XCOM 2 is "it's XCOM 2" then that's a good thing.

Just because they like their games a certain doesn't mean they are immune to being ridiculed for liking things that way though.

And it is kind of telling that the editing room has some odd priorities sending the guy who likes shooters on the PS4 to play a PC turn-based strategy game.

I will say though, at least he researched his history, even if he didn't quite get that modding for XCOM was more of a miracle work than "made for it".

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
LOL Van Doorn is a loon

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
"We're getting chatter from some clown called Van Doorn"

oh my god gently caress you bradford

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There is a Van Doorn idle blurb in the base, GOTY

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Y'all are getting bent out of shape for that guy's 95% comment.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Bradford, you meanie, Van Doorn worked so hard to get that message out.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Bradford and Doorn for Super Smash DLC

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Really disappointed that controller support isn't in at launch. Anything from the stream that makes it look like it would be hard to do for a modder?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So the three mods the Long War team are going to have out at launch are submachine guns, an officer version of the Muton and a Squad Leader class.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Holy cow, is that Abraham Lincoln?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ravenfood posted:

Fewer enemies seem to one-hit kill you compared to Thin Men too, even with crits. Losses seem more recoverable because its harder to die, but easier to be wounded for a while.

As much as Its Xcom is important, I can't say I'm sad about this. Early game there is nothing more irritating than having someone in a good position behind full cover miss a clean shot, then having a Thin Man crit them for ten damage because gently caress you

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah you get bonus will if you get rid of shaken. I expect it's to give players a little carrot for not benching their soldier forever.

We have found the cure for PTSD! Just kill some dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
That's, uh, one interesting overlook spot you have there Advent.