Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Horrible fact though, regular soldiers in that first section infinitely respawn and very quickly too. Lune warned me about it but I wasn't ready for just how fast they actually respawned.

At some point, Nigel Cummings probably reflected on these facts too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
It was not just a simple virus in those African mines. What they unearthed was the tomb too an ancient evil... an evil we now know all to well. To combat this monster, Thor used the clip of a spyder and the hair of Duke Nukem to create LOGAN. Gifted with the weapon of the gods - the TASER -, LOGAN must save us all from that warhead launching beast.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'll post this now just to be safe. Don't worry, we're not dead, it just wasn't me recording this time :v:

Update 17 - A Need for Badasses

Syphon Filter Episode 20 - Coolguye Ridge|(47:35)
PLOT! THRILLS! SUSPENSE!

While watching this video I saw a lot of missed editing opportunities, but it's mostly because I didn't record it so I wasn't particularly thinking of it. I'm glad it worked out the way it did and I've already got an idea for the final SF3 video.

Holy poo poo we're almost to Omega Strain.

~Dossier

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Dusty is my favourite character somehow.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
I knew you guys would love that reveal. It's so illogical but so awesome. Enjoy the last level and Omega Strain. It only gets better from here on out.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Wow, that episode was weirdly loving topical huh!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
It's so utter bullshit, but I'm so glad Teresa's not dead.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Major Major's middle name was also Major :eng101:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ArchWizard posted:

Major Major's middle name was also Major :eng101:

I almost added this but stopped myself since I figured there were likely a grand total of 3 people who were book nerds on that level

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Ive been meaning to ask but is there anything that the thread thinks i could do to improve the lp thus far? i know syphon filter isnt the most well known but ive been interested in encouraging more audience participation somehow. Just dont know how. also ill do a stream tomorrow of the sf3 minigame. Phoneposting but will get details tonight.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Lunethex posted:

Ive been meaning to ask but is there anything that the thread thinks i could do to improve the lp thus far? i know syphon filter isnt the most well known but ive been interested in encouraging more audience participation somehow. Just dont know how. also ill do a stream tomorrow of the sf3 minigame. Phoneposting but will get details tonight.

Well, as long as you guys are having MAXIMUM FUN, that seems to be what gets us going. Just like Nigel Cummings.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

Well, as long as you guys are having MAXIMUM FUN, that seems to be what gets us going. Just like Nigel Cummings.

This.

Also, there's something bugging me. In the United States, there is a very strict requirement for charging someone with treason: you need at least two people serving as witness to the same act of providing aid and/or comfort to the enemy. It's not like the terrorism and murder aren't enough on their own.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

azren posted:

Also, there's something bugging me. In the United States, there is a very strict requirement for charging someone with treason: you need at least two people serving as witness to the same act of providing aid and/or comfort to the enemy. It's not like the terrorism and murder aren't enough on their own.
It's pretty much obvious from the outset that Secretary Hadden set this whole trial up as a scheme to take down Gabe and any allies he has without having to resort to violence. Any inconsistencies from actual U.S. legal proceedings make sense if you realize that Hadden has some personal agenda of his own and is doing everything he legally can to defeat our heroes. Hadden makes no attempt to hide that he's an antagonist from the opening of the game, it's just that the player does not know what Hadden's goal is up until now. Which appears to be "clean up the mess that the Agency caused and stop Logan from finding out just how deep the Syphon Filter conspiracy goes by having him arrested".

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can also save only one of those militia brothers and get different dialogue.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'm gonna stream the SF3 Mini-game tomorrow starting at 9:30 PM EST, for a few hours. I know someone wanted to see the whole point of bonuses in the game so I'll briefly cover the first two games' modes before starting.

Kibayasu posted:

You can also save only one of those militia brothers and get different dialogue.

Anything that does not lead a redneck warcry is not worth watching imo.

(With Coolguye subsequently backstabbing them :v:)

azren
Feb 14, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

It's pretty much obvious from the outset that Secretary Hadden set this whole trial up as a scheme to take down Gabe and any allies he has without having to resort to violence. Any inconsistencies from actual U.S. legal proceedings make sense if you realize that Hadden has some personal agenda of his own and is doing everything he legally can to defeat our heroes. Hadden makes no attempt to hide that he's an antagonist from the opening of the game, it's just that the player does not know what Hadden's goal is up until now. Which appears to be "clean up the mess that the Agency caused and stop Logan from finding out just how deep the Syphon Filter conspiracy goes by having him arrested".

Yeah, I don't know why it's something that bugs me. I guess it's just one of those things that isn't thought about in very many things at all, and so I overreact. :shobon:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I think the Oakden family are just REALLY big fans of Pink Floyd's The Wall and who wouldn't be frankly?

Steak Eater posted:

Yeah like drat this was some hella good timing from you guys, that is scary :stare: this entire mission rubbed me the wrong way up like crazy, but I really liked it. What I like most about SF3 is how little a gently caress it gives about being the RIGHT kind of edgy long before 24 even tried to pull off this poo poo.

Hell Syphon Filter is just 24 except better and playable and somehow more realistic in NOT fixing up three terrorist regimes in the space of a loving day.

Great video work there you lot, having one of you guys play it completely blind was actually pretty genius to show off all the ways you could gently caress up.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 30, 2016

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Steak Eater posted:

Apparently, I haven't been paying enough attention to what's happening. How so?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

azren posted:

Apparently, I haven't been paying enough attention to what's happening. How so?

The militia standoff in Oregon hit a flash point the other day with the arrest of its leader and several members, one of whom appears to have effectively committed suicide-by-cop during his arrest.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'm starting now.

http://twitch.tv/lun3thex

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 31, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

If anyone knows a movie with a fight scene that starts just after a dude gets off an elevator let me know. Preferably a man going up against a woman. I have some other things I can use but if there's something pretty sweet out there I'll take a look :)

Generally speaking if you link me a lot of great movie fight scenes I'll try and use them whenever.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Lunethex posted:

If anyone knows a movie with a fight scene that starts just after a dude gets off an elevator let me know. Preferably a man going up against a woman. I have some other things I can use but if there's something pretty sweet out there I'll take a look :)

Generally speaking if you link me a lot of great movie fight scenes I'll try and use them whenever.

Agents of SHIELD S2E4 comes to mind immediately.

fake e: I unironically enjoy Agents of SHIELD :colbert:

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
What types of fights are you looking for, gun-, knife-, fist- fights?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Any kind of fight. It just has to be suitably hardcore and maybe corny/silly too.

Basically, if you like it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lunethex posted:

This one doesn't start in an elevator but it does involve an elevator. I'm not sure if its a great scene since its Arrow on CW but for that show's typical fight choreography it was pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syZrZ1Huu_s&t=92s

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

This one doesn't start in an elevator but it does involve an elevator. I'm not sure if its a great scene since its Arrow on CW but for that show's typical fight choreography it was pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syZrZ1Huu_s&t=92s

Oh, wow, that's a really good fight scene for Arrow.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bman in 2288 posted:

Oh, wow, that's a really good fight scene for Arrow.

If I remember my trivia, that episode was directed by the stunt coordinator. There's another fight among some shipping crates that also had a good eye for the flow of the fight instead the usual "one-point camera, stay in the shot".

E: found it, https://youtu.be/WCNcv3n2LMk?t=1m

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 2, 2016

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

There's a scene that starts in an elevator in Flashpoint (Donnie Yen movie, not the TV show): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1wAsruM0k

It continues into this scene, which is more of a traditional fight scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1wAsruM0k (Warning: the clip includes a child getting hurt, not graphic, but played up for drama)

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Captain America: The Winter Soldier has a fight that takes place on an elevator.

None of these involve elevators, but in terms of action scenes in general...

If you manage the huge battle from Casshern, I'd be damned impressed/giddy, but it's all robots, and very anime, despite being a live action film.

Pretty much any action scene from Shoot 'Em Up is amazing. Bonus points for frequently being corny as gently caress.

The 2007 Hitman movie has the 4-way sword fight, and the hotel shootout, amongst others.

And, of course, The Matrix is full of action-y goodness. (It's one of my favorite movies, so take that how you will)

azren fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 4, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'm gonna say, the one thing I don't like about a lot of modern action movies nowadays is editing. It feels frantic, yes, but I'm not really feeling the fight, you know? It doesn't help that every time someone lands a blow, the camera angle changes just as the hit is going to land, so you don't get to see or really feel the impact. It's all just implied fighting, really. Implied fighting and a lot of camera switches.

What I'm trying to say is that Jackie Chan movies have ruined me.

But then you have those fantastic scenes from, say, Kingsmen, in the church, where we were given a single cut (though it may not have been, with smart editing) of everything going to hell immediately and we aren't ever taken away from it until it ends, no changing camera angles or anything. THAT is a good action scene, because you're in the thick of it, because you feel it, because you aren't removed from it, because of that lingering visceral imagery.

What I'm trying to say is that that one fight scene from Daredevil in the second episode is so ballin', even though I know there were cuts and careful editing around that scene.

bman in 2288 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 4, 2016

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

bman in 2288 posted:

What I'm trying to say is that that one fight scene from Daredevil in the second episode is so ballin', even though I know there were cuts and careful editing around that scene.

It really, really is... :allears:

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
drat that girl has got some style!

Dander My DOSDruid fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 7, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I quote Roboky:

"Just vaguely waving it around in their direction and killing them."

Mara learned from the best. Me :v: LOGAN!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Turns out the most efficient form of murder is apathetic strafing. Who knew?

SgCloud
Oct 30, 2011
So.... how is Teresa alive again? Is there any explanation for that?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

SgCloud posted:

Pretty sure she's alive even though she appeared very dead and was treated as for real dead because they didn't start writing Syphon Filter 3 until Syphon Filter 2 had already been finished and gotten time to maybe reconsider killing her off/get loads of mail about how sad it was she died. No actual sources for this besides exposure to the idiosyncrasies of the development of other games.

e: To be fair as well, it's not as if other media hasn't pulled this kind of trick before either. We didn't exactly get a shot from the coroner's office or even just her body laying in the casket.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 7, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SgCloud posted:

She got better.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

SgCloud posted:

When she reappeared, Gabe mentioned that she was only injured, not killed and used it as an opportunity for her to spy on the Agency. That's what she was getting at when Mara appeared in the last video. It's stupid and makes no sense but that's the explanation given.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I can't believe this. I was watching a Rollercoaster Tycoon video and the first guest to the park the dude looked at, it HAD to be this.

Coolguye was right. I can't get around it. Ever. Help :qq:

quote:

5:07 PM - Coolguy: nausea tolerance: none
5:07 PM - Coolguy: we both know that's not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Lunethex posted:

I can't believe this. I was watching a Rollercoaster Tycoon video and the first guest to the park the dude looked at, it HAD to be this.

Coolguye was right. I can't get around it. Ever. Help :qq:

drat, I blacked out again. Came to with another strange file on my computer, and my left eye can see the souls of the damned, for some reason. Maybe my computer has a virus, or something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread