Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Die Laughing posted:

Then at the end of volume 2 Quicksilver saves Hawkeye from another speedster in less than a second, and Clint is all "Quit standing around, and do something useful." totally oblivious.

That's what makes all previous poo poo even funnier. Was he actually doing anything or not? Who loving knows, I bet even Millar wasn't positive when he wrote the thing.

Ultimate Quicksilver was closer to Flash fast than 616 Quicksilver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I've got marvel unlimited. They've loaded a lot of comics up recently called (name of series) infinite comics. What are they advertising/trying to do with that? Are they reprints? Are they in the 616 universe? Are they aimed at kids?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

They're digital comics. Original stories, 616. I think they were commissioned to be free teasers.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Infinite comics are designed-for-digital comics that use various animated screen transitions, overlapping panels and other stuff you can't easily do on paper. They are generally half the length and price of a regular comic book. Some of them have been released in modified form on paper with two digital issues in one paper issue. I don't know if it's the originals or these compilations that have been added to Unlimited.

(I haven't read a lot of Infinite comics but I can recommend X-Men '92. It's a Secret War tie-in mini that is going to become an ongoing series in March.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Grey Area posted:

(I haven't read a lot of Infinite comics but I can recommend X-Men '92. It's a Secret War tie-in mini that is going to become an ongoing series in March.)

Do you know if the ongoing is going to be an infinite comic or a regular one? If regular, I'll add it to my pull list. If infinite, going 100% digital as that was one of the best infinite comics Marvel has done.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Ultragonk posted:

That's a lot of cool downer comics that have been posted I've made a list and am going to have a go at going through some of them once I'm done with the ultimate universe. Back on that for a minute, I found a reading order list for the ultimate universe and it has Ultimate Marvel Team Up on it, I took a quick look at one and wasn't that fussed on it, am I safe to just skip over them?

None of those are required. Although #s 6-8 have some gorgeous Siekiewicz art on a Daredevil-focused story.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Uthor posted:

Do you know if the ongoing is going to be an infinite comic or a regular one? If regular, I'll add it to my pull list. If infinite, going 100% digital as that was one of the best infinite comics Marvel has done.
I honestly don't know. I tried googling, but I can only find other people asking the same question. I hope so. I do like the new artist, she did the beautiful Star-Lord and Kitty Pride during Secret Wars.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Stagger_Lee posted:

None of those are required. Although #s 6-8 have some gorgeous Siekiewicz art on a Daredevil-focused story.

I will keep them for when I finish.

I've now read The Ultimates and really enjoyed it, Banner is such a dick and Dr. Pym is a complete twat. Thor is pretty good a tree hugger ex-mental patient, also like the whole Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch saving people if you slow the tape down you'll see it joke. The run was enjoyable so I'm hoping that The Untimates 2 is just as good. Ultimate Spider-Man continues to be great and I'm not sure what's happening with Ultimate X-Men but I was surprised with Xavier mind loving Magneto.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Grey Area posted:

I honestly don't know. I tried googling, but I can only find other people asking the same question. I hope so. I do like the new artist, she did the beautiful Star-Lord and Kitty Pride during Secret Wars.

I should find my twitter login and figure out how to message Chris Sims directly. He seems like he would answer that question right quick.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ultragonk posted:

I've now read The Ultimates and really enjoyed it, Banner is such a dick and Dr. Pym is a complete twat. Thor is pretty good a tree hugger ex-mental patient, also like the whole Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch saving people if you slow the tape down you'll see it joke. The run was enjoyable so I'm hoping that The Untimates 2 is just as good. Ultimate Spider-Man continues to be great and I'm not sure what's happening with Ultimate X-Men but I was surprised with Xavier mind loving Magneto.
You'll definitely enjoy Ultimates 2 if you liked Ultimates, but seriously, after that, run.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've really soured on all of Ultimates over the years. I think it's way overrated. The only really great comics from the original Ultimate line are Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Fantastic Four. Ultimate X-Men is plagued by poor execution killing a lot of great ideas and Ultimates is just messy and immature and that art has aged terribly. And that's not even counting the Jeph Loeb run which is godawful. Spider-Man and Fantastic Four though are solid throughout. I can even stomach Greg Land's art because I enjoyed the story so much. I generally dislike Mark Millar but something about the Fantastic Four brings out the best in him. I'm not sure if it's that he likes the property too much to trash it up like he does other stuff or what, but his 616 and Ultimate Fantastic Four stories feel like Fantastic Four stories instead of Mark Millar stories.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Ultimate X-Men lost me when they decided to update Wolverine by lacing his skeleton with nu-metal.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What's the worst story/run with the most sincerity behind it? It seems like a lot of terrible comics are from not caring, editorial mismanagement, etc, but I'm curious about cases where someone gave it their all and hosed up in a massive way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

What's the worst story/run with the most sincerity behind it? It seems like a lot of terrible comics are from not caring, editorial mismanagement, etc, but I'm curious about cases where someone gave it their all and hosed up in a massive way.

Nick Spencer's Ultimate X-Men.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Any time a beloved creator from the 60s or 70s gets back on the character that made them famous in the last 20 years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tom Defalco's mini that tried to "Fix" the clone saga.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh oh, anything Kevin Smith has ever done.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Oh oh, anything Kevin Smith has ever done.

His Green Arrow was decent.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Avengers 200 was played pretty straight, wasn't it?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WickedHate posted:

Batman: Odyssey? It has Neal Adams making his crazypants hollow-Earth theories the centerpiece of the completely incomprehensible plot, flashbacks within chronologically mixed-up scenes within a framing device where Bruce is telling the entire story while not wearing a shirt, and Caveman Batman with his sidekick, Dinosaur-Human Hybrid Robin.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

Any time a beloved creator from the 60s or 70s gets back on the character that made them famous in the last 20 years.

Even though it's only one issue in, Len Wein's current Swamp Thing is such a throwback that you can't help but be impressed with it even though so much better things have come out of Swamp Thing since he first created the character.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

You are at the beginning of a magical journey, friend. I hesitate to say anything more than that, because I'm looking forward to seeing your pure reactions without any externally-created expectations. :allears:

Skwirl posted:

His Green Arrow was decent.

You know, that Stanley and his Monster twist felt so goddamn clever to me, when I initially read it. If I saw it for the first time now, it'd probably come off as another dumb "mature" crap-update of a whimsical character; but at the time, I thought it was an unexpected, creative use of a deep cut from the DC vaults. That it was over- grim didn't even factor in: it was just "well goddamn, I did not expect that, but it does fit".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WickedHate posted:

Marville, DKSA. Along with a few of the others mentioned (like most of Kevin Smith's work) they're a result of a deliberate lack of editorial oversight because the creator has a lot of pull.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not sure Jemas was as sincere about this as he claimed to be. If I remember correctly, and honestly I wish I didn't, the last few issues were so lazy and low effort they didn't even put any of the text in word balloons. They just typed out the dialogue on the pages with the crappy looking art.

EDIT: Yes, like this

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 3, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

I'm not sure Jemas was as sincere about this as he claimed to be. If I remember correctly, and honestly I wish I didn't, the last few issues were so lazy and low effort they didn't even put any of the text in word balloons. They just typed out the dialogue on the pages with the crappy looking art.

I think it was claimed that was an artistic choice; don't know if that's true though. The whole thing was so incomprehensible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Incomprehensible is being a bit nice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

Even though it's only one issue in, Len Wein's current Swamp Thing is such a throwback that you can't help but be impressed with it even though so much better things have come out of Swamp Thing since he first created the character.

The original Swamp Thing run is pretty good fun pulp nonsense. It's neat to go back to that, even for a little bit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"What's the dumbest poo poo we can publish?" is a plausible alternate explanation, I admit.

E: As is cocaine.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 3, 2016

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

CapnAndy posted:

Batman: Odyssey? It has Neal Adams making his crazypants hollow-Earth theories the centerpiece of the completely incomprehensible plot, flashbacks within chronologically mixed-up scenes within a framing device where Bruce is telling the entire story while not wearing a shirt, and Caveman Batman with his sidekick, Dinosaur-Human Hybrid Robin.

Batman Odyssey is magnificent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RandallODim posted:

I hope his Superman tops it

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

WickedHate posted:

There's that time Dave Sim thought it was a good idea to just retype the Bible for about twelve issues. Or explained why women were a creativity crushing void. Or basically the last third of Cerebus as a whole.

Still gorgeous and and full of inventive lettering.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

RandallODim posted:

I thought it was boring. For as ridiculous as it sounds in summary the reading experience is dull and the comic frequently seems to cross into inept, like word bubble placement that lends to unintended incorrect reading order.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Fallen Rib
I brought Batman Odyssey a few months back but I am nervous to read, worried that it won't live up to the crazy hype.
It did give us this review though so in the end it was probably worth being published.

Kevin Smith was mentioned earlier, but I think his Batman miniseries probably fits in with the question. No doubt he figured he was writing some good fun Batman comics, even though he admitted to being stoned most of the time that he spent writing it, but the comics are so utterly terrible. They do deserve a special mention.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Squizzle posted:

You are at the beginning of a magical journey, friend. I hesitate to say anything more than that, because I'm looking forward to seeing your pure reactions without any externally-created expectations. :allears:

Well it has been pretty good so far but what the hell happened to the art between Ultimate X-Men 21 and 22 because it is radically different. I'm guessing the obvious answer of "different artist" but the art shift is really, really striking. I'm up to Spider-Man 40 and X-Men 33 and they have both been good books. I enjoyed Ultimate War thought that was a good little series Colossus just beating on Thor was great. I started Ultimate FF and it was an OK start but I'm hoping that it will pick up fast.

Also after seeing more of Stark in The Ultimates I have no idea what was going through Scott Card's head with Ultimate Iron Man I and II other than *GASP* "I know, I'll rub goo on Stark and Obidiah Stane can be a fat psychopath! Genius!"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ultragonk posted:

Well it has been pretty good so far but what the hell happened to the art between Ultimate X-Men 21 and 22 because it is radically different. I'm guessing the obvious answer of "different artist" but the art shift is really, really striking.
Did you mean between 22 and 23? There's a switch from Adam Kubert to Kaare Andrews at that point. They are quite different.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

redbackground posted:

Did you mean between 22 and 23? There's a switch from Adam Kubert to Kaare Andrews at that point. They are quite different.

I do apologies, that is what I meant. They are really different for a second I thought Jean was Squirrel Girl.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ultragonk posted:

I do apologies, that is what I meant. They are really different for a second I thought Jean was Squirrel Girl.
You should see his work on Astonishing X-Men!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

redbackground posted:

You should see his work on Astonishing X-Men!
Nobody should have ever had to see that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Fallen Rib
It's a shame because I generally like Andrews' stuff (especially his covers) but the art in Astonishing was... yea it was pretty crappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Chris bachalo shows up on Ultimate X-Men in a little bit so you've got that to look forward to.