Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Thyrork posted:

E: There's also something disquieting in watching the global casualty rate slowly rise as the war goes on. I'm sorry shipping half a world away! I didn't have radar coverage to save you! :cry:
Not to mention when the UFOs stage an aerial terror bombing somewhere that's out of range of all your planes and then the casualty rate jumps up by like 50 000. :gonk:

Pomp posted:

Xenonauts is X-com without the atmosphere, charm or visual direction.
I think it has plenty of atmosphere and charm. :shrug: The night mission ambient music is especially creepy as gently caress.
As for the visual direction, imo it's mostly just the battlescape sprites that are rear end. All the Xenopaedia art and base screen backgrounds and stuff look great and I don't mind the soldier graphics either. But, yeah, those sprites are awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Xenonauts is OK in my book, it does have a lot going for it that's been mentioned, but I always felt it didn't have... energy, I guess. Not the same sort of the original X-COM have.

The Railgun thing is kickass, mind.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Nordick posted:

Not to mention when the UFOs stage an aerial terror bombing somewhere that's out of range of all your planes and then the casualty rate jumps up by like 50 000. :gonk:

I think it has plenty of atmosphere and charm. :shrug: The night mission ambient music is especially creepy as gently caress.
As for the visual direction, imo it's mostly just the battlescape sprites that are rear end. All the Xenopaedia art and base screen backgrounds and stuff look great and I don't mind the soldier graphics either. But, yeah, those sprites are awful.

A failed terror mission ending in a nuclear strike was 100% :stare: material.

It absolutely has its charms, but its not that cheesy UFO + 90's comic book charm and instead is more like older sci-fi "everything is a human in a rubber suit" Star trek charm.

Cosmic Afro posted:

Xenonauts is OK in my book, it does have a lot going for it that's been mentioned, but I always felt it didn't have... energy, I guess. Not the same sort of the original X-COM have.

The Railgun thing is kickass, mind.

Combined with Science Guy being the best NPC, I can agree this is the fairest view on Xenonauts.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Xenonauts is pretty hard to recommend at its price tag, especially with OpenXCOM around. It's an okay game that achieves what it sets out to be - basically it's a slightly modernized old X-COM games with some quality of life features to reduce tedium. There are some gameplay issues, psionics are bullshit and the game has weird ways of calculating trajectories (don't even think of doing an Ironman unless you like the thought of a soldier accidentally throwing a grenade into a haystack right in front of him and blowing himself up) and dealing with objects/cover in general, but it's decent. Just not worth as much as they're asking for imo. Good game to pick up on a sale, basically.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You notice that most X-LIKES (XCOM clones) have either inventory management or soldier skill trees, but not both?
Why is that?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Junpei posted:

You notice that most X-LIKES (XCOM clones) have either inventory management or soldier skill trees, but not both?
Why is that?
Adding classes and skill trees is really a Firaxis thing (e: I guess Apocalypse had classes in a way, though), the throwback games that are more faithful to the original X-COMs just differentiate soldiers primarily by gear, and to some degree having more stats.
Like in Xenonauts you've got no classes but you'll have soldiers with (lovely) pistols and riot shields packing lots of grenades and a medkit for breaches and support, while another one may just have a sniper rifle and not enough strength for anything beyond that but an emergency smoke grenade.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Thyrork posted:

A failed terror mission ending in a nuclear strike was 100% :stare: material.

It absolutely has its charms, but its not that cheesy UFO + 90's comic book charm and instead is more like older sci-fi "everything is a human in a rubber suit" Star trek charm.

Combined with Science Guy being the best NPC, I can agree this is the fairest view on Xenonauts.

I liked the Engineer too. Da comrade, we can build it.

The base getting more and more sophisticated as you advance in tech was also a really neat touch.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Wizard Styles posted:

Adding classes and skill trees is really a Firaxis thing, the throwback games that are more faithful to the original X-COMs just differentiate soldiers primarily by gear, and to some degree having more stats.
Like in Xenonauts you've got no classes but you'll have soldiers with (lovely) pistols and riot shields packing lots of grenades and a medkit for breaches and support, while another one may just have a sniper rifle and not enough strength for anything beyond that but an emergency smoke grenade.

Why can't we have both?
No classes, but you can have special abilities based on what weapon a soldier is using and how high their skill with a weapon is, with raising the weapon skill granting abilities.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It might be a little more flexible that way, yeah, but 99% of the time I'd imagine a soldier skilled with e.g. a sniper rifle in your scheme would only ever use a sniper rifle, except in a truly dire emergency, so it becomes a locked in class in all but name

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Xenonauts came out around the same time as XCOM: EU which made it look kinda crappy in comparison. It has the best air combat model of any XCOM remake but I personally really hate time units and for me it suffers a lot from that. EU really streamlined the tactical combat and made it a ton of fun while Long War improved on the class model to give you more options while Xenonauts kinda stagnated in that regard. It's still a good game, has a decent narrative and some genuinely good characters but the sprites are kinda awful and it's weird to see the quality differ so wildly in a lot of places.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Noted curmudgeon TotalBiscuit (I know, I know) did his video on XCOM 2 today and he seemed to absolutely love it, and any game he actually likes that much is worth getting on the hype train for (I'd link but I'm at work ATM)

Can it be Friday now please

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ciaphas posted:

It might be a little more flexible that way, yeah, but 99% of the time I'd imagine a soldier skilled with e.g. a sniper rifle in your scheme would only ever use a sniper rifle, except in a truly dire emergency, so it becomes a locked in class in all but name

There would also be "weapon" skills for Medkits, Grenades and Pistols.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

it's friday right now

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

you're welcome

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I suppose it would be something else worth trying with XCOM 2's modding capabilities; if the Long War folks were able to add a completely separate Leadership tree in as a mod surely a weapon-based tree and removal of classes should be possible

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

alarumklok posted:

it's friday right now

are you a wizard?????

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mechanics question from people who have been watching the beagstream, how does being revealed out of concealment work? Do you need to be standing out of cover? Or can a phantom ranger hiding in cover, even inside the enemy's sight range, still be able to advance scout once that pack has been cleared off?

Also, I find it amusingly inappropriate that the "ranger" is all close-range work.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Uh, unsure why this is... but I'm getting a profile not found whenever I try going to Beagle's stream. VODs still work, but they don't have a name or anything with them.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The only real option is time traveling to Friday.

By which I mean being blackout drunk until then so it feels like it happens instantly.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

are you a wizard?????

sorry can't respond it's friday and I'm playing xcom 2

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Uh, unsure why this is... but I'm getting a profile not found whenever I try going to Beagle's stream. VODs still work, but they don't have a name or anything with them.

They requested a name change away from Miss_Jamball because people were always getting confused. The name change went through mid-stream. Awkward things ensued like the video migrating to the new channel but the chat not doing so.

BeagsandJam now, I think.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Deuce posted:

They requested a name change away from Miss_Jamball because people were always getting confused. The name change went through mid-stream. Awkward things ensued like the video migrating to the new channel but the chat not doing so.

BeagsandJam now, I think.

I was just coming here to wonder wtf.

Edit: Also they hosed up the capitalization.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

If you want inventory management + skill trees, you might check out Altar's UFO: After* series.

Aftermath is kind of lovely and basic.
Aftershock has a bunch of cool ideas poorly realized.
Afterlight is very unique in the genre and plays pretty well. Most notably you have a small, specific roster of dudes to get through the game with, each with their own voiced lines of finest East German quality. Ute Heinemann is the best :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Junpei posted:

Why can't we have both?
No classes, but you can have special abilities based on what weapon a soldier is using and how high their skill with a weapon is, with raising the weapon skill granting abilities.

There is a stylized difference here that puts different emphasis on play styles and idenities, one to treat your squad as as characters, the other as another resource*.

But I like the cut of your jib. Reminds me of Final Fantasy 9's system where each character equipped weapons that gave them new skills, and prolonged usage of said weapons taught the skills permanently, but you could only equip so many skills that way.

*XCOM:EW stresses the value of life, where as Classic XCOM / Xenonauts teaches you the importance of sacrifice. Melodramatic I know but one asks you to keep 6 people alive, the other asks you "how many rookies does it take to breech a large UFO?", I'm sure there's a better way of putting it but its 01:30 in the morning. Interestingly enough, XCOM 2 looks like its setting itself up to try to balance the two slightly. Leave men behind to get the victory? Its worth it, and you can always save them later.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Beagle also made some good points about Mimic Beacon in the beginning of his stream. Right now it's super powerful because it can eat 3 shots when you toss it in the open and it's way too powerful. An easy fix is to make it tank 1 hit only so when the aliens hit it they know it's a hologram. This would incentivize using it more strategically by placing it into cover and baiting an alien to move from his position in order to flank it and be less of a get out of free jail card.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Holy crap, I just realized that we don't know what ADVENT is an acronym for.

Thyrork posted:

But I like the cut of your jib. Reminds me of Final Fantasy 9's system where each character equipped weapons that gave them new skills, and prolonged usage of said weapons taught the skills permanently, but you could only equip so many skills that way.

Maybe you could get a choice between two weapon trees based on how a soldier holds their weapon.
Does your sword dude do a reverse grip?
Maybe one of your front liners dual wields pistols?
They get a different skill tree!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Several reviews have mentioned that Xcom 2 really has been cribbing notes from Long War, both in the strategic structure of the aliens as a real 'player 2', and also in terms of how unpredictable and fragile your success is. I have a feeling that the game is going to be a bit divisive with some, especially on the higher difficulties, but I'm kinda looking forward to dying horribly on the regular.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Demiurge4 posted:

Beagle also made some good points about Mimic Beacon in the beginning of his stream. Right now it's super powerful because it can eat 3 shots when you toss it in the open and it's way too powerful. An easy fix is to make it tank 1 hit only so when the aliens hit it they know it's a hologram. This would incentivize using it more strategically by placing it into cover and baiting an alien to move from his position in order to flank it and be less of a get out of free jail card.

Unless the Mimic Beacon is an endgame item, you effectively get a free turn with every one of these apparently.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tae posted:

Unless the Mimic Beacon is an endgame item, you effectively get a free turn with every one of these apparently.

You can get it after your first terror mission.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Demiurge4 posted:

Faceless Autopsy, I assume?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Junpei posted:

Holy crap, I just realized that we don't know what ADVENT is an acronym for.

Aliens Doing Very Evil New Things

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

can you make an emblem or logo for your squad in thiS?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Reinstalled EW to tide me over, and playing on Classic for the first time.

gently caress Thin Men, gently caress Portent, rushing Lasers got me them two days before Portent and even then I lost my Sniper to a 93% miss followed by a crit. :xcom:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does Kill Zone activate on everything that moves in the radius, or just the first one? If it's everything, uh, :stare:

Do we know yet if any of the difficulties have Hidden RNG Fudging®? That poo poo annoyed the hell out of me in EW.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Reinstalled EW to tide me over, and playing on Classic for the first time.

gently caress Thin Men, gently caress Portent, rushing Lasers got me them two days before Portent and even then I lost my Sniper to a 93% miss followed by a crit. :xcom:

I spent a good chunk of time recruiting new soldiers to get an all :canada: team and the first mission I go into with all of them my assault misses a clean easy 97% on a thin man who turns around and crits my sniper in the face, killing him. Heavy panics and runs off into the woods to reveal 3 seekers.

I lost them. All of them. :xcom:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Demiurge4 posted:

Well uh....that kinda breaks things a bit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy poo poo Slingshot on Long War. :stare:

Thin Men are literally hitler

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Am I the only one who thinks that GREMLINs are cute?
And, maybe we can compile the known research projects into a tree?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I hope you get to fight/assassinate the ADVENT mouthpiece guy in a late game mission and he's literally just a thin man with the same stats and everything, and is the only one in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pharmaskittle posted:

I hope you get to fight/assassinate the ADVENT mouthpiece guy in a late game mission and he's literally just a thin man with the same stats and everything, and is the only one in the game.

I hope he spits acid on the first turn and it causes a panic cascade :xcom: