Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I didn't know Baystate Blue was a thing, and that is drat near my favorite shade of blue. Just got my brother a metro and really liked it.. resisting the temptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Got that M600 in today. Glassy smooth, wet, writes like a dream.

Or it did after 30 minutes of swearing at whatever blind fuckwit installed and adjusted the nib.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
BSB: just be prepared to use it to dye the rest of your clothes, furniture, and skin to match, cuz you ain't getting that stuff out again

but then, why would you want to

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

JEBOman posted:

On an unrelated note, does anyone know any good resources for improving handwriting/penmanship?

I've found a lot of scans of old copybooks just by googling around. That might be a good place to get started. Some of them might be :files: but most are long into public domain.

My grandfather tried to teach me the Palmer Method when I was younger and I've been trying to relearn it.

This website has a lot of information and some great resources for that.

Also, I hate to mention it, but the Handwriting subreddit has some pretty great resources and inspirational posts (and the usual Reddit circlejerking).

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
Thank you for the suggestions. :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm getting two Noodler's inks whenever Pen Boutique gets off their butts:

Burma Road Brown
Bad Black Moccasin

Looking that up again, I don't think I wanted the Bad Black Moccasin...

I'm partial to Heart of Darkness, personally. I use it in pretty much all my pens for both writing and sketching.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

grack posted:

Got that M600 in today. Glassy smooth, wet, writes like a dream.

Or it did after 30 minutes of swearing at whatever blind fuckwit installed and adjusted the nib.

My M1000 came with the worst, most poorly-adjusted nib I've ever seen out of the box. It took me an hour and a half of loving with the tines and reseating the nib on the feed to get it to write at anything approaching acceptability.

Really soured me on Pelikans since. Everyone in reviews talking about a buttery nib on a monstrously expensive pen, and here I was with a nib fitted by a monkey.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

My M1000 came with the worst, most poorly-adjusted nib I've ever seen out of the box. It took me an hour and a half of loving with the tines and reseating the nib on the feed to get it to write at anything approaching acceptability.

Really soured me on Pelikans since. Everyone in reviews talking about a buttery nib on a monstrously expensive pen, and here I was with a nib fitted by a monkey.

Yeah, that was exact issue I had. The nib was twisted around in the collar and not sitting flat on the feed so the tines were way out of alignment. I ended up having to use a punch-out block to get the nib/feed out and re-seat them. Thankfully it writes well now but it was definitely frustrating as hell to see a (relatively) expensive fountain pen show up in pretty much unusable condition.

Frankly if I wanted a piston-filler with a crappily adjusted nib I can spend way less and get a Noodler's instead.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Soricidus posted:

BSB: just be prepared to use it to dye the rest of your clothes, furniture, and skin to match, cuz you ain't getting that stuff out again

but then, why would you want to

I know folks are joking about this, but I've cleaned clear demonstrators of BSB with simple rubbing alcohol. If it stains your sink or something, use a bleach based cleanser. Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end to clean, but it's not impossible. And christ, what a color.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is rubbing alcohol OK for Noodler's pens? I have a couple with some serious (non BSB) ink stains and haven't had much luck with ammonia soaks taking the stains out. I know it's bad for certain types of pens so I wouldn't use it on everything, but I'm willing to dip these things into whatever because who cares.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Is rubbing alcohol OK for Noodler's pens? I have a couple with some serious (non BSB) ink stains and haven't had much luck with ammonia soaks taking the stains out. I know it's bad for certain types of pens so I wouldn't use it on everything, but I'm willing to dip these things into whatever because who cares.

No. It will cloud the plastic and it could warp it as well.

If you like the BSB colour and don't want to deal with the issues you can try Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue or DC Electric Blue.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
How much do you all actually write?

I try and write a few pages of thoughts out every week. Sometimes I get really into it and wind up spending an evening filling half a notebook with blather. Apica's 6A10 notebooks are my favorite for daily writing. The paper is silky smooth and ink dries almost immediately. They aren't cheap but I haven't found many other notebooks where writing in it feels so much like gliding over ice.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I write a ton of notes at work but very little of any substance :v:

grack posted:

Good to know. I might give the ammonia another go, or just leave them stained.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I try and write a few pages of thoughts out every week. Sometimes I get really into it and wind up spending an evening filling half a notebook with blather. Apica's 6A10 notebooks are my favorite for daily writing. The paper is silky smooth and ink dries almost immediately. They aren't cheap but I haven't found many other notebooks where writing in it feels so much like gliding over ice.

I try to write at least one but preferably three pages every day. Usually in an A5 notebook. I have a Seven Seas Writer from Nanami Paper Co. (and three more in reserve because holy poo poo they're great) for journaling and creative writing, and I use a Leuchtterm 1917 for my planner.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

grack posted:

If you like the BSB colour and don't want to deal with the issues you can try Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue or DC Electric Blue.

Yeah, I used rubbing alcohol on some TWSBIs and they're just fine. Good catch!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I used rubbing alcohol on some TWSBIs and they're just fine. Good catch!

Noodler's and TWSBI pens are made of different materials so I don't know what the point of this post is supposed to be.

Also TWSBI tells you not to put rubbing alcohol in their pens because it can cloud the plastic being used.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I started a new school semester 3 weeks ago and I'm up to like 60 pages of notes in a bunch of Campus B5 notebooks. I'm glad I bought a F Vanishing Point around Christmas, it's a total workhorse.

I gotta buy more ink.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Differentiates obviously but some weeks I write multiple pages daily, other weeks hardly a page total.

Either way, I have found that the sparkly ink from Diamine does not keep well if it is in the pen a bit longer. It has a tendency to clog the nib/feed. And remember we are talking a perfectly fine Pilot Metro White Tiger (teehee) here.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I finally augmented my order and will be getting a nice blue and a nice black, as well as a pile of samples to figure out what earth tone and what red I'd like to use. I just didn't want to commit to a vial of something that I might use practically forever. However, I also got three Rhodia 9x11 spiral-bound notebooks with some grid paper, since that's how I roll. Do these notebooks take being shuffled around in a backpack much better than the regular gunk you might find in a supermarket? That's what I'm hoping for. I normally just get string-bound composition books because I've had bad luck with spiral-bound.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

grack posted:

Noodler's and TWSBI pens are made of different materials so I don't know what the point of this post is supposed to be.

Also TWSBI tells you not to put rubbing alcohol in their pens because it can cloud the plastic being used.

The point was that when I recommended rubbing alcohol I was assuming modern materials when it can actually damage older or non-standard materials, so your clarification was useful and I appreciated that you caught it. I hadn't ever heard the second bit and never had problems but it's good to know.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Heh, in his latest YouTube QA Brian Goulet gets salty about Japanese eBay and Amazon sellers who are undercutting him on price. Sorry for buying pens way cheaper than you can offer Brian.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I'm working on a novel and I write all of my summaries and notes by hand.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

The point was that when I recommended rubbing alcohol I was assuming modern materials when it can actually damage older or non-standard materials, so your clarification was useful and I appreciated that you caught it. I hadn't ever heard the second bit and never had problems but it's good to know.

The majority of Noodler's pens are made with a cellulose-derived plastic and rubbing alcohol can soften the material, especially if immersed. I tried soaking a nib creaper in rubbing alcohol once and the side of the barrel on which it was laying actually flattened and ruined the pen. That was from an hour long soak.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

howe_sam posted:

Heh, in his latest YouTube QA Brian Goulet gets salty about Japanese eBay and Amazon sellers who are undercutting him on price. Sorry for buying pens way cheaper than you can offer Brian.

What's funny is that it's not just the bigger retailors or those closer to the source, it's his smaller competitors as well. I consistently see better deals from isellpens or Anderson Pens than what Goulet offers.

I don't doubt that Goulet's customer service is great and all, but they seem like a company that's kept in business by their customer's ignorance of better deals and by that weird sentimental loyalty that nerds with weird hobbies can develop.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh, I just bought an ink syringe and some red ink samples from Goulet today. I saw similar syringes on Amazon for technically more, but the needles were thicker. Since I don't know any better, I just went with what was in their video because it's widely-shared.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Heh, I just bought an ink syringe and some red ink samples from Goulet today. I saw similar syringes on Amazon for technically more, but the needles were thicker. Since I don't know any better, I just went with what was in their video because it's widely-shared.

That one is fine. You would have saved literally 50 cents (plus whatever the difference in shipping would be) by buying that from the Andersons.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
What exactly are ink syringes for?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

My Man Shran posted:

What's funny is that it's not just the bigger retailors or those closer to the source, it's his smaller competitors as well. I consistently see better deals from isellpens or Anderson Pens than what Goulet offers.

I don't doubt that Goulet's customer service is great and all, but they seem like a company that's kept in business by their customer's ignorance of better deals and by that weird sentimental loyalty that nerds with weird hobbies can develop.

Yeah Goulet's appeal is the wide selection, excellent ink swatches, and good customer service.

I would not want to be corresponding with someone in China or Japan about my moldy ink.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 5, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Goulet also has one of the better designed web stores out there. And based on that Q&A I bought a bottle of Noodler's and hopped on that BOGO for the Jinhao x750s with number 5 nibs, so Brian's marketing works.

mikeycp posted:

Filling pens, sample vials, and ink wells. I also use mine when I clean my pens.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mikeycp posted:

I primarily fill my pens out of sample vials so the syringe gets the ink out of the vial and into the cartridge without making a mess

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Authorized dealers like Goulet also get hosed over by the official pricing from distributors of Japanese brands. Goulet is selling Iroshizuku for 29 USD. Its normal retail in Japan is 1,500 yen, or around 12.80 USD. Engeika is selling it for even less - 12.15 USD.

You can offer all the customer service you want, but it's really hard to beat someone who can sell the same goods, straight from the source, at less than half the price.

(as a side note, the price difference between official and grey market is often even worse for countries outside the US. for instance, almost all distributors of Sailor in Asia take their price cues from the US price instead of the Japanese price. so you can end up, say, paying about 1,400 for a pen in Singapore that would normally cost just 900 in Japan.)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm guessing one of the bigger issues for sellers like Goulet is that Amazon will happily stock and sell pens on behalf of Japanese sellers from their state-side warehouses so customers can deal with Amazon's CS in the US and not overseas. I mean, this is even true if Amazon is selling the pen at US MSRPs themselves.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It doesn't even matter because you can buy through Amazon Japan in English, paying with your US-based card, and if you need service your request is just routed to an English speaker anyway.

It's Amazon, after all. They will quite happily undercut anyone, and their customer service pretty much offers to replace your defective product at the drop of a hat.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kessel posted:

Authorized dealers like Goulet also get hosed over by the official pricing from distributors of Japanese brands. Goulet is selling Iroshizuku for 29 USD. Its normal retail in Japan is 1,500 yen, or around 12.80 USD. Engeika is selling it for even less - 12.15 USD.

I had no idea this site existed and now I have to thank you because I have two bottles of Iroshizuku coming for the price of what one would cost me off goulet/amazon.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I've always used Jetpens because of the free shipping and delivery speed, but I guess I should shop around next time I want to buy pen stuff.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

pienipple posted:

Yeah Goulet's appeal is the wide selection, excellent ink swatches, and good customer service.

I would not want to be corresponding with someone in China or Japan about my moldy ink.

Aside from the amazon.jp tip above, you can also just buy iroshizuku from the tokyo quill pen shop since their customer service is basically apologising profusely and shipping you a replacement for free :japan:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My ink showed up today so I can start filling up my Hero 616s. I put some Bay State Blue in my first one and it writes pretty well. It's kind of like those more expensive roller ball pens, but a bit more consistent. It is scratchy on cheap paper; I haven't tried on better paper yet, but not any more than I'm used to. I think I can use these pens rather shamelessly.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does Noodler's Bay State Blue saturate pages much more aggressively than, say, the Pilot blue/black cartridge ink I was using before? With the Pilot ink and my cheap-rear end notebook, I'd get spots where I held the pen down for a moment--usually at the beginning of letters and whatnot. With the Noodler's, even the lines go right through.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
lol Baystate Blue.

Yes it's one of the most saturating inks out there and stains some stuff really badly. Only use it in cheaper pens. Apparently a few pens dissolve or something since it's corrosive with them.

Watch out, Hero 616s leak quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does Noodler's Bay State Blue saturate pages much more aggressively than, say, the Pilot blue/black cartridge ink I was using before? With the Pilot ink and my cheap-rear end notebook, I'd get spots where I held the pen down for a moment--usually at the beginning of letters and whatnot. With the Noodler's, even the lines go right through.

Yeah, some inks will do this. Levenger inks, for example, go straight through just about everything but the very best paper I have. You can try diluting BSB with water, it should help.