Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Internet Kraken posted:

I have a SSD and it says 40 minutes as well :geno:

i have a regular rear end HDD and it took 40 minutes, an SSD should be much quicker

The Kins posted:

Where can I find the pre-order DLC items in character creation? At the least, I can't see the sweater in the Arms section.

you have to equip the resistance warrior armor from the loadout menu in-game, it's a separate piece of armor for some weird reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I spent the last 6 hours playing this and :hellyeah: it rules, thanks for whoever recommended the Freedome trial VPN for unlocking it early!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
can you save scum promotions i am going for a theme here

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So the only XCOM experience I have is watching someone who I can't remember play the '94 version where he kept moving this marine inside this tiny room with some weird looking fire stuff.

I should play on Commander, right?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Speedball posted:

So much for the game unlocking at the exact hour! It'll take 40 minutes to unpack god drat it!

Okay, it's okay, I have something more productive I can do for that time.

Preparing for an XCOM2 LP?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ShadowMar posted:

you have to equip the resistance warrior armor from the loadout menu in-game, it's a separate piece of armor for some weird reason.

Probably for programming reasons, like how the DLC preorder weapons in Fallout New Vegas couldn't be classified as machetes and stuff.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

This is a Good Game, I have spent Too Long playing it. Considering using PTO to take off early tomorrow/come in late the day after so I can spend more than 2 hours on it.

Also gently caress whoever was bitching about pectoids not taking shots. Sure, zombies (and mind control) are only relevant skills if for some reason you're unable to kill the pectoid on your next turn, but toothy motherfuckers have been getting all up in my grill with reckless flanking shots.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

Preparing for an XCOM2 LP?

...yes. Okay, okay, it's probably more than a year off, since I"ll need to wait for all the DLC to be out, but yes! Why not, you wanna see what Bar-Lev and Leroy's kid looks like? Heh heh. I have PLANS.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ShadowMar posted:

Oh, weird. Thanks. That's annoying, makes it hard to use that stuff in my Character pool.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

How much additional space does this need to unpack? I preloaded it on a drive with no enough space to unpack and I'm unsure how much room I need to make.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Just a reminder for the new unlockees: character pool is at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4vbWbHpBrhqTi00MzJLNnh5ZEE (and has been updated a few times, so you might consider grabbing it again even if you already got it).

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

The Kins posted:

Oh, weird. Thanks. That's annoying, makes it hard to use that stuff in my Character pool.

Yeah, this is the only thing making me grumpy right now. On the other hand, I made a pretty solid Snake Plissken, so I can't be too mad.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Why didn't I install this on my SSD? :saddowns:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I feel like Im probably making things worse by listening to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QvNft-MxLk while waiting for the game to unlock. :ohdear:

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
So if I found Classic Long War a bit too easy, what difficulty should I start at in XCOM 2?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
unpacking is fun

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

After eight hours of play, game is good. some minor bugs here and there but otherwise pretty smooth. Trying to stamp down the Avatar progress on harder difficulties will be tough because I have to duct tape more antennas to my ship every other day, but the cash flow could be worse.

The upgrades are interesting this time around, they seem to be more focused around giving you options on a cooldown rather than straight upgrades. Sniper seems to be most affected by this, he's gone from mostly just intrinsic upgrade trees to a lot of abilities, relatively. A few of the abilities were disappointing in a "Oh, that's what they meant by that tooltip, that sucks" way, and I still think that the swords are nearly useless unless you're picking off low health stragglers, but it's still tons of fun.

I would comment on the difficulty but I keep savescumming when I realize what I should have done two turns ago with the new mechanics. Oh right, I didn't need my best heavy to panic and die to turret fire when the game has status healing and a placeable LZ.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

My ranger's foot clipped through a wall and that triggered an overwatch. FIX YOUR GAME JAKE :argh:

LOS for that mission was wonky - I triggered the person I was supposed to rescue somehow (LOS through concrete) which triggered another pod. Someone else got shot via bad LOS and two soldiers are out wounded, one gravely. :smith:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Just a reminder for the new unlockees: character pool is at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4vbWbHpBrhqTi00MzJLNnh5ZEE (and has been updated a few times, so you might consider grabbing it again even if you already got it).

What's a character pool?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm so happy~

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What is this 100% downloaded, ready to play in 25 minutes bullshit, Steam

I am here to fight aliens, Steam, must I fight you too, because I will

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That was less a programming choice and more a handicap of the engine. Some mods ended up managing it dynamically, but I think that required NVSE. And the way mods and stuff worked in that engine made having a set of compatibility patches nigh impossible. Stupid consoles.

But yeah it's probably just an easier/cleaner way to implement the stuff.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

monster on a stick posted:

First mission gave me an eight turn limit to cross the map and fight two squads, barely made it.

Your lucky! My first mission had me rush into a building then spawned two squads coming from different directions, I thought it was a dramatic escape sequence so ran to the roof and evac'd out and got a game over!
Could of just written GIT GUD SCRUB on that game over screen Jake.

Also I was chain crashing too a no-signal monitor screen and a sound loop until I lowered my graphics settings so that might help someone else.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Tagichatn posted:

What's a character pool?

Where custom characters get saved. Easy to export and share around.

OP should probably get this and a short guide on exporting / importing

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Jake 'Hot Load' Solomon (because who isn't going to correct his nickname), by default, can appear as a soldier or a dark VIP. Jake Solomon: Your best buddy, or a total bastard.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

CapnAndy posted:

What is this 100% downloaded, ready to play in 25 minutes bullshit, Steam

I am here to fight aliens, Steam, must I fight you too, because I will

Steam is dumb as poo poo with preloads, it has to decrypt the 45GB and then it has it move it, one file at a time, to steamapps/common/XCOM2 from steamapps/downloading/48200.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The game keeps booting me out of full screen and isn't loading properly. :smith:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh for gently caress's sake, it's still not reading as released on my account. I've restarted Steam three times now both from the taskbar and task manager, are you kidding me.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
UFO being sent to hunt me? Oh that doesn't sound good.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I'm really really loving bummed that it doesn't come shipped with controller support. What in the actual gently caress

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jessant posted:

Your lucky! My first mission had me rush into a building then spawned two squads coming from different directions, I thought it was a dramatic escape sequence so ran to the roof and evac'd out and got a game over!
Could of just written GIT GUD SCRUB on that game over screen Jake.

Also I was chain crashing too a no-signal monitor screen and a sound loop until I lowered my graphics settings so that might help someone else.

To be fair, what I've played so far was mostly fun, but of the three missions (except the very first one):
* timed "get to the thing on a truck before it blows up", 8 turns, 2 squads
* timed "get to the thing in a church before the aliens shoot it for reasons", ? turns (they kept shooting it every turn, I'm guessing also 8), 2 squads + reinforcements
* timed "rescue the guy", 11 turns before forced retreat, with the wacky LOS like the bare foot triggering overwatch, which hurts (I think someone was down to around half health and that was "gravely wounded."), 2 squads + reinforcements

Performance is pretty lovely, I wonder if they are using TressFX (the hair does look pretty good.) You also can't zoom out very far; I was trying to get a soldier in a position to shoot a mind-controlling pectoid, but literally could not put both on the screen at once (and you need to see the pectoid to see if it has the crosshairs meaning you can shoot.)

I'm playing on babby (and beat EW on Classic and LW on Normal), I wouldn't say the game is hard, but either I rolled bad dice and picked all timed missions, or the game is full of them. The procedurally generated maps, LOS bugs, and bizarre overwatch triggers make this something that I'd want to wait for the patch to fix. If you haven't bought yet and have Amazon Prime, they're going to have the base game or deluxe one on sale for another 2 weeks at 20% off, and I'd just wait to see if Jake fixes his game, because that last mission was full of bullshit.

Also give us some goddamn Asian voices. Japanese, Chinese, Korean, something, my Japanese soldier shouldn't be picking Australian because that's "close enough."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I already have stories and I've only played like 2 1/2 hours. This game is loving magnificent.

Gregoire Roux was the most French Casanova looking motherfucker ever, and he killed three ADVENT and a Sectoid on his first mission. He died in that same mission but monsieur left a legacy for other rooks to live up to.

Remarkably enough, a worth successor soon showed up. I knew good things were in store the moment I saw this man's loving Lupin III sideburn arrangement, and boy was I not wrong. Three kills in his first mission, promotion to Sharpshooter, gonna get dangerous.

In short if anyone is still crazy enough to be on the fence: GAME GOOD, BUY GAME

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Elliotw2 posted:

Steam is dumb as poo poo with preloads, it has to decrypt the 45GB and then it has it move it, one file at a time, to steamapps/common/XCOM2 from steamapps/downloading/48200.
Like, I realize you said "dumb as poo poo" but it's an always-online DRM, why not just... install the game and then simply refuse to launch it until release day?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Where do I put the character pool file once this poo poo finishes unpacking?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What exactly does the "Launches a UFO to hunt XCOM" Dark Event do? Just add a random attack on the base once in a while?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

What exactly does the "Launches a UFO to hunt XCOM" Dark Event do? Just add a random attack on the base once in a while?

Isn't that supposed to be the base defense mission?

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Game looks, sounds and plays so loving good. The droplights in the skyranger are a brilliant small touch.

No gamebreaking bugs in 6+ hours, some stuttering and weird sound issues.

Legendary early game is pretty tense. Only lost two rookies so far, but people keep getting wounded and my roster looks like poo poo.

Flashbangs are life. Any other effects are secondary to stopping stun lancers from charging you.

Phantom isn't actually op, because activated pods keep finding increasingly bs ways to accidentally flank the concealed ranger.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What's the point of pre-loading if it's going to spend 3 hours unpacking the files. :negative:

EDIT: 48 minutes now, slightly more reasonable.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's not installing the soundtrack for some reason :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

To be fair, what I've played so far was mostly fun, but of the three missions (except the very first one):
* timed "get to the thing on a truck before it blows up", 8 turns, 2 squads
* timed "get to the thing in a church before the aliens shoot it for reasons", ? turns (they kept shooting it every turn, I'm guessing also 8), 2 squads + reinforcements
* timed "rescue the guy", 11 turns before forced retreat, with the wacky LOS like the bare foot triggering overwatch, which hurts (I think someone was down to around half health and that was "gravely wounded."), 2 squads + reinforcements

Performance is pretty lovely, I wonder if they are using TressFX (the hair does look pretty good.) You also can't zoom out very far; I was trying to get a soldier in a position to shoot a mind-controlling pectoid, but literally could not put both on the screen at once (and you need to see the pectoid to see if it has the crosshairs meaning you can shoot.)

I'm playing on babby (and beat EW on Classic and LW on Normal), I wouldn't say the game is hard, but either I rolled bad dice and picked all timed missions, or the game is full of them. The procedurally generated maps, LOS bugs, and bizarre overwatch triggers make this something that I'd want to wait for the patch to fix. If you haven't bought yet and have Amazon Prime, they're going to have the base game or deluxe one on sale for another 2 weeks at 20% off, and I'd just wait to see if Jake fixes his game, because that last mission was full of bullshit.

Also give us some goddamn Asian voices. Japanese, Chinese, Korean, something, my Japanese soldier shouldn't be picking Australian because that's "close enough."

This post terrifies me. I dont mind timed missions as a way of breaking up the pace, but having it be the majority of them is going to get tedious quick, even when I set it to babby difficulty.