Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Those hobbit movies were so greenscreened to hell and back they were basically a cartoon, any discussion of framerate should keep that in mind. I'm so glad we're getting people pushing back against that sort of crap with movies like revenant and mad max, either of which I would loving love to see at a higher framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rakthar posted:

Post after post of "Hey guys I tried this new thing that was different than my prior experience and it was WEIRD" about motion smoothing / frame interpolation. Like literally, I went over to my parents house and they had a new tv and it had this newfangled new thing and I DIDNT LIKE IT, but then we turned it off, phew, crisis averted.

Videogames, sports, anything shot live or typically meant for viewing on a TV, not a cinema, will look great when interpolated.

Movies and anything shot at 24 fps to give it a film look with lots of blur looks different, and probably not for the better. It will look like a cam recording of actors doing a play, instead of a movie. So don't use frame interpolation for movies, or set it to a low setting - I have a 'clear' setting on mine that doesn't make movie playback look weird but removes a lot of judder.

No, it only looks weird in movies / 24 fps src material. It looks great to have a fast moving object at 120 fps vs 60 for everything else.

By the way, frame interpolation is especially desirable in LCDs because high framerates reduce LCD motion blur. That's why it's on by default in most TVs.

Frame interpolation causes more input lag so its bad for bideo games

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Frame interpolation causes more input lag so its bad for bideo games

Get this, not all videogames are affected by response time issues. With some of them, it doesn't matter. Then you can enjoy the smoothness with no downsides.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pryor on Fire posted:

Those hobbit movies were so greenscreened to hell and back they were basically a cartoon, any discussion of framerate should keep that in mind. I'm so glad we're getting people pushing back against that sort of crap with movies like revenant and mad max, either of which I would loving love to see at a higher framerate.

This is how I felt. Peter Jackson went from building a third of Minas Tirith as a live set/ sticking Edoras on top of that hill/ hiring the New Zealand Army to march around in plate mail/ to green screening everything and that switch from doing everything in practical effects wherever possible to 'just free screen everything' is what made the hobbit trilogy seem so soulless and bland compared to LotR. If you compare the things he said behind the scenes of the first trilogy he's done an about face on all his principles.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Intel is doing that thing we expected them to do and cracking down on non-K Skylake overclocking, shocking and affecting probably factually zero people.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If anyone did a build around it i do not feel sorry for them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

It's a BIOS update, anyway. So all they'd have to do is...not apply the update.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Don Lapre posted:

Clocks are so drat high on the i3s this time around anyway, I don't think anyone is going to be too heartbroken.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Which is really interesting since multi-core gaming has yet to take off in any serious way. Make a gaming beast with whichever i3 you want and a huge graphics card.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

Which is really interesting since multi-core gaming has yet to take off in any serious way. Make a gaming beast with whichever i3 you want and a huge graphics card.

There are games which requirea quad core cpu unless you futs with dlls

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Don Lapre posted:

Do they require the actual cores or is four threads sufficient in these cases?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Don Lapre posted:

Some will quit themselves if they can't see four threads, because their developers are poo poo. Skylake i3s are all good for four threads.

I don't know of any games that demand four physical cores.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Do they require the actual cores or is four threads sufficient in these cases?

Most do not REQUIRE 4 cores, but will suffer without them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Some will quit themselves if they can't see four threads, because their developers are poo poo. Skylake i3s are all good for four threads.

I don't know of any games that demand four physical cores.

Ahh, i was mistaken, i thought games like farcry 4 refused to run if they didn't see 4 actual cores, but its 4 threads. They wont run on a pentium dual core.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

HMS Boromir posted:

Intel is doing that thing we expected them to do and cracking down on non-K Skylake overclocking, shocking and affecting probably factually zero people.

People are angry about it because Intel a profit-oriented hardware company is not following the principles of free and open software.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Though in general it would be nice to have unrestricted everything where all hardware is like a development prototype that lets you adjust accidentally destroy all components.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm struggling to think of analagous products where the manufacturer either turns a blind eye or wink-and-nude supports consumers breaching their warrantee in a way that worst-case-scenario results in fires starting.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I'm struggling to think of analagous products where the manufacturer either turns a blind eye or wink-and-nude supports consumers breaching their warrantee in a way that worst-case-scenario results in fires starting.

Honestly their biggest concern is probably just the liability of anyone trying to claim in court that they passively endorse unsafe modifications to their hardware leading to fried chips/computers. Releasing a bios update that closes off the functionality seems kind of like the "least legally required effort" sort of avenue to take. As was already pointed out, all anyone has to do is just not install the update to keep their oc capability, but then it's more clear that you're not doing something they support.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Alchenar posted:

BUT MY FREE PERFORMANCE GAIN

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

let i hug posted:

Honestly their biggest concern is probably just the liability of anyone trying to claim in court that they passively endorse unsafe modifications to their hardware leading to fried chips/computers.

Intel has been making chips for almost half a century; has there even been a single lawsuit related to this?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Mofabio posted:

Intel has been making chips for almost half a century; has there even been a single lawsuit related to this?

I don't think it's even likely that would happen through overclocking. Intel chips have been throttling or shutting themselves down for ages. There was a fair chunk of time where you could burn up an AMD CPU, though.

vv Yeah, I did have it in my mind that someone might crank up the voltage, it's true that that could be pretty dodgy. There's also the problem of power delivery on crappy boards; I remember issues with Prescott overclocking and burning up VRMs, as well as more recently, AMD CPUs.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 5, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can burn up an intel cpu with voltage pretty easily, if you are an idiot. But just cranking up multiplier or fsb, not a chance.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

go3 posted:

BUT MY FREE PERFORMANCE GAIN

I mean in reality there's no point for normal computer users to overclock an i3 or i5 in a glorified email/office PC. If you are an ~enthusiast~ of the extreme :pcgaming: or engineering/physics simulation kind you will probably splurge anyway and get a *k processor (not that $80 extra over an office box CPU/mainboard is that much for the pro gamer market, considering you'll spend an additional $100-1000 on better graphics) or some workstation type thing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

We also somehow have two platforms to choose from in the this-still-exists-somehow 2000 dollar tier and given how cheap the 5820k is there's arguments to be made for buying that over a 6700k, especially if you're going to do more than just gaming.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Shady strip-mall local computer shops overclocking cheap CPUs on cheap motherboards and selling to unsuspecting grandparents and small businesses.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Which is why they started locking cpus in the pentium 1xxmhz days

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Which is why they started locking cpus in the pentium 1xxmhz days

lol

even better, on PC CHIPS/Elitegroup motherboards

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

blowfish posted:

lol

even better, on PC CHIPS/Elitegroup motherboards

Oh god, the horror

Anyone remember the stories of 486 boards with FAKE CACHE on them?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ECS has had a few decent products, and their purple boards always smelled fruity. I built a ton of socket 462 ECS boards.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea ECS wasn't really High End, but their cheap boards you got at Frys with a CPU for the price of the CPU, all have lasted the test of 5+ years so far on a few simple office level builds.

They weren't feature filled by any means, but they did work.

They even made a absolutely killer SLI Water-cooled GTX 9800GTX bundle back when that was killer bang for the buck right before the 200 series came out. So I will give them credit that they tried to break out from their cheap boards mold.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's a difference in context between overclocking being a thing that a tiny tiny fraction of your customer base does and anyone who even knows it's possibly is by definition aware of the risks, and it being advertised as a feature to a substantial chuck of the consumer market with the 'this invalidates your warranty' bit being in small print.

Turning a blind eye to one is not the same as turning a blind eye to the other, especially when you've already explicitly divided your products so that there's a line which is safe from users being able to gently caress them up from their own stupidity.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

HalloKitty posted:

Oh god, the horror

Anyone remember the stories of 486 boards with FAKE CACHE on them?

That site was a bit of a rabbit hole today. It reminded me about my first PC (long time Mac user) that was an Athlon XP 1700+ on a purple Soltek VIA KT266A chipset. Was good enough to play a whole lot of Battlefield 1942 back in the day. :patriot:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

No Abit BP6 :(

I had one of those, and like 4 of my college buddies did too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bp6 /w 300a @ 504mhz celerons

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ASUS CUSL2-C with a 933 P3. My first PC built myself.
I still have that thing next to my desk for all sorts of old Windows 98 goodness, but I last was messing with it, trying to get a SoundBlaster 16 PCI soundcard to work with some old games. Turns out I need a ISA version to do what I really need.
Still, played everything on a PCI Voodoo Banshee before getting a Geforce 2 MX followed by a Geforce 3 Ti 500 that followed me to a P4 1.8Ghz build with an ASUS P4T-E then a P4T533-C when the -E died...

It now has a AGP Vodoo Banshee for real Glide games and runs a hell of a lot better. The PCI Banshee was great, but the PCI latency showed itself a ton on a 933 where on the previous P2 266 it was in, of course did not.

I'm sort of sad that site sort of died around the 2001 era as the boards and adventures of Rambus RAM and DDR RAM as well as the chipsets and such were still pretty fun in the P4 days.

I swear my P4 1.8ghz with 256MB Rambus still ran Windows XP at a sort of "spunkier" performance on a fresh install, then my P4 3.0 with a ASUS P4P800 and up to 2GB DDR 400. The 1.8 only was replaced as a friend of ours needed a work PC upgrade, and I had experimented with a old Voodoo 2 I had gotten and put it on the slot directly below the Ti 500. The Ti ended up cooking its fan and dying, and the AGP slot never seemed to be the same again. It always seemed like any game you played, even with 60+FPS at the time, had a sort of momentary slowdown/lag that made pretty much any game unplayable. (The Scene would move smoothly, but like in steps __|__|__|__|__ when it should have just been a smooth _______ Transition as far as FPS was concerned..) It couldn't play games even with a new Ti 4200 or Ti 4600 at the time, but it ran business apps like a champ up until the users inevitably got a virus again, and again.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The day my PCI Banshee nuked itself was a sad day. The replacement SiS piece of poo poo was in-unarguably a bringer of worse days. Eventually a friend took pity on me and gave me a Voodoo 3 I still have in a box somewhere, but that was of course quite a while afterwards.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

sincx posted:

I miss my Celeron 300A oc'ed to 450 MHz (with scotch tape on the clock selector pin) on a PCChips motherboard. That thing was surprisingly solid and ran for a good 4-5 years.

These celerons were great value for money.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EdEddnEddy posted:

ASUS CUSL2-C with a 933 P3.
ASUS CUV4X-D with two P3-933.

That drat thing outlasted plenty of P4s in overall usability, thanks to the multiprocessing. I actually refused to upgrade for a long while when Intel disabled the GTL+ lines on the consumer CPUs, preventing people to do multiprocessing on the cheap. Then the AthlonX2 came and slowly kicked off multiprocessing for the consumers again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/44k218/intel_disables_tsx_transactional_memory_again_in/

Intel has quietly stopped advertising TSX support on a bunch of Skylake processors.