Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

10 year old me: never lose faith in karate, never lose faith in karate, never lose fai....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The last spinning kick against the cage right before Hendricks fell down looked like it really sucked to take, even if it didn't hit him cleanly in the face

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

EvanSchenck posted:

Forward pressure to jam up his kicking game and force him into boxing exchanges where Robbie's head movement and punching power can be decisive.

That's pretty much all I have, too. Basing this on the short time we've seen Wonderboy in the cage and how good his movement seems, I don't know if pressure could even be applied short of just straight up running at him all the time. But this is Robbie we're talking about, I think most of us have learned to stop doubting him a looong time ago.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The last spinning kick against the cage right before Hendricks fell down looked like it really sucked to take, even if it didn't hit him cleanly in the face

The look on his face was one of pure pain.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think that was the one that really did it... christ, if the cage wasn't there it looked like Johny was going 10 rows deep.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

https://vid.me/TmAQ

Love the casual switch of stances right before he lights Johny up.

I didnt want anything of the card tonight, this is not what I expected

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Cruz used CM Punk's shoot name, oh no

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
It looked like that spinning kick hurt a ton and probably knocked the air right out of Hendricks because a lot of it landed on his chest.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

https://vid.me/TmAQ

Love the casual switch of stances right before he lights Johny up.

That first body kick where he's like "no that didn't hurt, yeah yeah it did, poo poo"

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

acejackson42 posted:

That's pretty much all I have, too. Basing this on the short time we've seen Wonderboy in the cage and how good his movement seems, I don't know if pressure could even be applied short of just straight up running at him all the time. But this is Robbie we're talking about, I think most of us have learned to stop doubting him a looong time ago.

Yeah I wouldn't count Robbie out of any fight these days. He's had flashes in all of his UFC title fights where he locks into some crazy fluidity of destruction and lands some big shots. Thompson wouldn't be any more immune to that poo poo than anybody else I'd imagine. But Stephen Thompson just looks so composed in there, similar to Rory MacDonald, and we saw how close Rory came to stopping Robbie/winning a decision. That's what would make it such a good fight.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Training with weidman looks like it really paid off, after dealing with that monster for years now he wasn't the least bit concerned when Hendricks got a hold of him and even got him down for a moment

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

acejackson42 posted:

I assume I didn't miss much by just catching the end of the co-main and the main?

An opportunity to do literally anything else besides watch the co-main.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Thompson is so lucky the Magny fight got set aside

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
scoggins, conor, wonderboy and young machida are making a great case for a focus on long karate stances and lazer accuracy

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I think wonderboy is cool and enjoyed watching him kick that guy.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
bonuses are a no brainer

fotn: pyle/spencer
potn: wonderboy and rivas

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MysteryNad posted:

fotn: pyle/spencer

quicksand has to be up there with the most appropriate nicknames in the sport. what mike pyle does to people who are only pretty good is awesome and satisfying to watch.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
i went 11-1 and goonweight isn't in season :saddowns:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

i went 11-1 and goonweight isn't in season :saddowns:

who'd you miss? better not have been scoggins or pyle.

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

scoggins, conor, wonderboy and young machida are making a great case for a focus on long karate stances and lazer accuracy

Possessing good accuracy is good, i agree.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

quicksand has to be up there with the most appropriate nicknames in the sport. what mike pyle does to people who are only pretty good is awesome and satisfying to watch.

Yeah it is even better when he can grapple dudes. He just drowns dudes when he gets on top of them.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

who'd you miss? better not have been scoggins or pyle.

i picked noad lahat, even though i stated the only thing i remembered about him was his previous flying knee ko loss, but :cmon: his opponent was some TUF Latin America dingus

Edit: would have racked up 20 goonweight points based on my results picks

ARGH, DANGIT

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 7, 2016

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I got home and turned on FS1 and lol. Hendricks is no longer a fat piece of poo poo, he's just poo poo.

Wonderboy/Lawler
Wonderboy/Conduit
Wonderboy/Brown II

these are all fights I want

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

i picked noad lahat, even though i stated the only thing i remembered about him was his previous flying knee ko loss, but :cmon: his opponent was some TUF Latin America dingus

Edit: would have racked up 20 goonweight points based on my results picks

ARGH, DANGIT

wow that's some objectively solid picks.

Pelleas
Apr 24, 2005
https://twitter.com/ufc/status/696222301973565440
Finally, I fighter I can relate to.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

cams posted:

i really want wonderboy to murder hendricks

he will probably get wrestled
holy poo poo i was so loving wrong and it owns

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thank you Wonderboy.
Please take this life time membership to my heart and an eventual fight with Brutal Bob.

I still want Lawler vs Condit 2 though...

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Goddamn, Thompson's next level karate accuracy is a joy to behold. That was incredibly excellent and righteous. Hendricks thought he had time to set up his usual de rigeur gauntlet and he just didn't because no strikes were missing him or allowing him to counter. It's so rad Thompson has gotten this good, there's a powerful inherent need to see him in a title contention triangle with Lawler and Condit now.

also, jared rosholt is somehow the most hateable overall fighter in the ufc. squaring off against roy nelson and he's still the one who reads as a used diaper otherkin

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

also, jared rosholt is somehow the most hateable overall fighter in the ufc. squaring off against roy nelson and he's still the one who reads as a used diaper otherkin

Someone had to take over for Pendred, might as well be him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

rosholt is one of the few guys in the ufc who is not just worthless, but actively affects your bottom line in a bad way. there is a negative desire to have him fighting for you. whenever his contract is up he has to get kicked the gently caress out of the ufc.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The reason why everyone is useless in those infomercials is sort of depressing, incidentally.

https://twitter.com/NoContextAds/status/681689928548413444

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
apparently karate beats wrestling now, i never would have guessed

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm gonna go ahead and thank machida for being the forerunner for a new generation of weird fighters who beat up wrestlers with wacky techniques and i don't care if the facts dispute me

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Welcome to the Machida era.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
it wasn't that long ago that lawler had absolutely nothing for lorenz larkin, so this is cool

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Not only did Josh Burkman choke out Jon Fitch at 170, he also has the sweetest tramp stamp at 155, the sole accolade a person could have still given Gray Maynard in 2016. He owns

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Rivas got a bonus for his Hell Knee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF1wtAc5Bso

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Got round to watching the main card this morning.

Wonder boy may be one of my new favourite fighters. His movement had Hendricks confused within the first 30 seconds of the fight. There was a point where Hendricks had his hands of his hips and sorta shook his head when Thompson dodged a right and moved away.

Overall, pretty good event considering what it looked like on paper. The OSP fight and the Nelson fight were pretty dull but the prelims and the Cirkunov submission will provide some pretty good highlight reel footage.

Thompson/Lawler would be a great fight if Thompson can get another win behind him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

reformed bad troll posted:

Thompson/Lawler would be a great fight if Thompson can get another win behind him.

Why the gently caress should he need to do that? He's won six in a row and just beat the previous champion and#2 in the division. Not only beat him but knocked him out, which no one has ever done, in the first round. He's done everything you're supposed to do to get a championship fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Why the gently caress should he need to do that? He's won six in a row and just beat the previous champion and#2 in the division. Not only beat him but knocked him out, which no one has ever done, in the first round. He's done everything you're supposed to do to get a championship fight.

Simmer down.

I'm assuming Lawler/Condit 2 is already in the pipeline so he'll probably have to take another fight.

• Locked thread